Stepping up
For Hadama!
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray had sent a letter soon after her last, asking Hadama to meet her and speak in person. The Attuned was nervous, a strange feeling to have when she was planning to see a friend. But what was on her mind was daunting. With Maeve stepping down, Torchline needed a ruler on the land as well as sea. Hadama had the sea, but the land?

Was Ray really going to bring this up? Was she really going to offer this? Yes. She was. Hadama was her friend and Torchline was her home. If her stepping up would aid both, how could she not? It would be an insurmountable amount of work on top of what she did at her shop. But she had to try.

The herbalist paced the shore as she waited for Hadama to show.
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 9 - Strg: 34 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 40 - Luck: 36 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The herbalist would not have to wait long. Speaking to his council  members in person was important, of course, but even above that he valued Ray's friendship. The Mer court had settled into its post-War routine and he was more easily able to spend less time overseeing minutiae that worked just fine without him there.

Which was just as well, given that he was now attempting to lead the human side of the region as well now. He was going to be relying heavily on the human council to advise him; all the more when he couldn't even walk among the airbreathers who were now also his people.

It was daunting, but his shoulders were broad and for the moment there was no one else to share the burden.

He found Ray along the coast, slipping over the lip of a deep tide pool that made an excellent conversation place between humans and Mer. Surfacing, he pushed his long hair out of his face and looked up at her. "Ray. You are well?" For though it was good to see her, even the mermanta could read the tension in her bearing. He let a faint furrow of concern for his friend mar his stoic brow as he waited to hear what she would say.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray let out a deep sigh, letting go of some of her tension at Hadama's voice. She sat down on at the lip of the pool, letting her feet soak in the water, "Hey, Hadama. Thank you for coming to meet me on such short notice. I'm ok. Are you well?" Even if Hadama hadn't been the King of Mer, and the current ruler of Torchline, Ray would be seeking him out for this conversation.

She valued his friendship and his advice. The herbalist knew that he would hear her concerns, help her consider her options, and leave her with a better handle on the entire situation then she'd had prior.

Taking a breath to ground herself, she breached the topic. "With Maeve stepping down, and you having to take on her burdens as well as your own..." She nibbled on her lip nervously, uncharacteristically uncertain about her words. "A thought occurred to me. I've been on the council for years, and both you and Maeve are my friends. Torchline is my home. I'd do anything for any of you."

Ray squared her shoulders and spoke with determination, "I'm wondering what your thoughts are on me possibly taking over to lead the surface part of Torchline?"

The air rushed out of her lungs as the words came out, "I never thought I'd be saying this. But right now... I feel like it's needed. Like I'm needed for this role right now."
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He swam to the edge of the pool beside her, inclining his head at her greeting and gratitude. "I am," he replied simply. And he was, all things considered. Healthy and whole, and if he didn't get as much sleep as he used to, when he did he slept well. The mental weight he carried was stressful but he was bearing up under it as the days passed.

He waited, then, quietly attentive and calmly patient for Ray to put her thoughts in order and share them with him. Another nod came in response to her earnest loyalty; she had already been tested and proven her dedication in the War, and had nothing more to prove to him.

Her revelation, when it came, was unexpected but not unwelcome. The Mer King blinked and then tilted his head slowly in thought as he considered his friend in this new light. He let her finish but he did not answer at first; no surprise there. Hadama was not given to speaking without considering the consequences of his words as Ray well knew by now.

"The humans deserve a leader who understands them. And can be among them, as I cannot." He took a deep breath and then nodded again. "You have cared for Torchline's humans for many years," he said slowly, but there was warmth in his eyes and a gentleness in his deep voice that were usually hidden behind his stoicism. "And defended them. You would lead them well."

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Come play!M

In the wind you hear voices. It sounds like children playing some kind of game with laughter and mischief. Then one screams. There’s a call for ‘Mom!’ ‘Papa!’ and other adults as the laughter stops. Glancing towards the direction of the commotion, you’ll see fins cutting the water. A pack of echo sharks lucks, ready to leap up and grab any who fall for their trap.

You’ve encountered a pack of echo sharks. This counts as a common creature encounter for the purposes of levelling, but does not count as a Random Event for levelling or MP. There will be no further admin/re intervention. If you choose to follow this creature, you do so at your own risk, however, just having it in this thread is enough to satisfy your levelling requirements.

Echo Shark (common) - A dwarf species of shark known for hunting in packs, the Echo Shark can live in both freshwater and saltwater. They are able to mimic any sound they’ve heard and band together to increase their range of vocals. The sharks use the words and sounds they’ve learned to lure unsuspecting prey into the water, where the sharks will then leap up and drag them into the waves.

Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray waited patiently for Hadama to gather his thoughts, forever grateful for the care he put into them. It made each word all the more meaningful and reliable. When he did speak, the herbalist found a soft smile coming to her face as warmth filled her. She had already known that she needed his moral support and guidance in this. But she was still caught off guard by how much it touched her.

"Thank you, Hadama. I needed to hear that." Finally letting some of the tension bleed out of her, Ray nodded. "If I'm going to do this, I need to talk with Maeve and Safrin. They both need to be on board. After that though...." She chuckled, "Then I guess we set up our joint-leadership?" Land and Sea working together for the better of Torchline. That was what Ray envisioned and wanted.

Suddenly the herbalist heard the commotion on the wind. Her eyes snapped over, scanning in concern for the children. When she spotted the fins, she scoffed. "Damn, echo sharks. I thought a kid was in trouble."The sharks were a way aways, and Ray knew that with both Dama and her here, they wouldn't approach. They were smart enough to know that they wouldn't fair well against the King of Mers. Still, she kept them in the corner of her eye.
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
In truth, Hadama was glad that it was Ray who had come to him. He would have worked with whomever he needed to for the good of Torchline, but having it be a friend made things a great deal easier and lightened a much of the weight from his chest. They would be able to swim the currents that Caido threw at them side-by-side, able to work together and to disagree without rancor.

He nodded agreement to speaking to the former Queen and their patron goddess, but at her suggestion he tilted his head, thinking.

Before he had come to a decision on how to word his thought the nearby cries drew his attention. Steely brows drew together in concern for a moment before he spotted the fins. His face regained its impassive lines as he considered the echo sharks. "I will send a patrol to move them out to deeper water," he rumbled, iron in his voice.

There was no need to kill them, but it would be better if they kept their hunting to fish - and away from both Mer and human cities.

Turning back to Ray he met her eyes again. "Do you wish me to call a vote of the humans?" So that no one could say that she didn't have the support of the populace as well as that of the goddess.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray nodded sharply, "Thank you." The sharks were clever, and she had no doubt they would keep trying different vocalization tricks until someone fell for it. Moving them away from the city was for the best.

The Attuned paused in thought, considering Hadama's idea. "Maybe? Actually, yes. Let's do that after I get Maeve and Safrin's permission. A vote will let any other candidates come forward." If a more capable person volunteered, Ray wouldn't be offended. She wanted what was best for Torchline. Her people came first.

"I've never actually spoken to Safrin outside of regional quests. Do you think she would meet with me if I went to her shrine?" Ray's brow furrowed, unsure.
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He was willing to give Ray as much time as she needed to consider his suggestions, and he floated at ease in the tide pool while she thought about the idea of a vote. He dipped his head in acknowledgment as she agreed to it, her spoken reasons adding to his own unspoken ones. "I do not know if there will be others," he said, voice slow and thoughtful as he considered the other council members and those citizens whose deeds marked them as the most active and most well-known. "But I can think of no one else I would rather swim these currents with." Even Melita, his closest friend, would not be as good a match in leadership.

Food, fun, and chaos, yes. But a crown would only weigh down that free and boundless spirit.

The Attuned's uncertainty was understandable and Hadama nodded again. "I do not know. But we can go together, if you would like." An offer made simply and with no expectation of it being accepted or rejected. But if Ray wished his moral support when she made her prayer she would have it.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray struggled to think of other candidates off the top of her head. But she wished to give any who desired the position a chance to make their case to the people of Torchline. She wasn't the one chosen by Safrin, but maybe she'd be the one chosen by the people while Maeve handled the vital personal matters that had forced her to step down.

Ray took a shaky breath at Hadama's words, warmth filling her as gratitude and affection flooded the bond. "Right back at you." Coughing as she subtly wiped a tear, she nodded. "Yes please.  I'd appreciate it." The support would give her the confidence to ask the Goddess such an important question. And if they were going to be a team, it made sense for the herbalist and the King to go together.
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
As her feelings filled the bond Hadama's stoic expression softened into a genuine smile and he tilted his head in acceptance of her returned compliment. He let his own pleasure at her invitation to join her at Safrin's shrine warm the bond as well. Beneath the surface of the water the slender, whiplike end of his tail lashed slowly as Ray made her choice.

It alleviated a large burden from his shoulders and allowed him to breathe a little deeper as he nodded in agreement. "After LongNight," he suggested. "Flowerbirth is a good time for new beginnings." And it would give Ray time to make any changes or hire help for her clinic if she thought she'd need it. He had managed to hold the region together so far on his own, and a few more weeks would make little difference. The LongNight parties of the land would be an enjoyable diversion. Beneath the sea, the City's eternal bioluminescent twilight was hardly affected at all, though a matching week of holiday meant a little extra chaos to tend to.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray smiled softly at Hadama's silent support. "Flowerbirth." She agreed, eyes then flashing to the lighthouse in the distance, "Meet me at the shore near the lighthouse the day after?" It would give them the time to celebrate the first day of Flowerbirth before getting down to business.

It would also give the Attuned one more day to prepare a suitable offering for Safrin. A simple tea blend wasn't going to cut it. Not for something as important as this. Go figure that her first personal request from the Goddess would be permission to rule her region. Perhaps Ray could have simply had teh people of Torchline vote, but she would never dream of overstepping Safrin like that.
They have not
forgotten this
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"I will be there," he promised his friend, following her gaze to the lighthouse and nodding approval of the choice of day. Though it wouldn't involve a personal request from him he never failed to appear at the Shrine without something to pay tribute to his goddess. He wouldn't need to go to the lengths that Ray might want to, but that didn't mean he'd show up empty-handed, either. LongNight would provide ample time to pursue his former craft and make a worthy offering, he hoped.

"May your clinic have a calm LongNight," he added, his smile still hovering at the corners of his mouth as he inclined his head to her. Torchline might not have the monster problems that plagued other regions, but monster headaches were still a serious issue during the DarkTide parties, and drunk people did some impressively foolish things that sometimes required stitches.

They spoke a while longer about smaller things; their lives and work, friends and families, and the preparations each were making for the upcoming week of darkness. Soon enough the burdens of leadership would fall upon Ray but for now, at least, they could both enjoy what they had in the moment.

The future would tend to itself.

~Fin~