Feel it still
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 9 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 46 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
I was born into the light
Under wide and open skies

Noah hadn’t seen the sun in several days. No, surely it had been a fortnight. Perhaps a month. Maybe six weeks. Today, however, golden rays peaked over the remnants of the Fangs and brushed the frozen kingdom in its glorious warmth. He woke to light filtering through the window of his bedroom, and it brought him up quickly. Kissing his sleeping wife and her growing belly before he left, Noah knew where he had to go.

It had been well over a year since Noah had sought a company with any of the gods at a shrine. His prayers rose high with the offerings he left, but as for calling upon Safrin, or Vi, or anyone for that matter hadn’t happened since the war. He had seen Safrin, she had called to him, but now as golden sunlight touched his face, Noah knew he needed to call upon Vi.

Placing the carefully crafted knife at the edge of the altar, Noah spoke. ”Vi,” It was more than a whisper, though not by much, and Noah closed his eyes as he ran his finger over the roses carved in the hilt of ursur tusk.

Noah Olson

the sentinel of the north
style inso by odd and skylark
the God of Life

Age: 8 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship:
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
vi
"Noah Olson."

It has been a year and a blink since Vi last looked upon Halo's Sentinel, since he chose this man to be his light, to shine in the world's darkest hour.

And shine he did, and has done every day since. If ever a paragon of life existed, Vi could look upon Noah and be content to name him such.

"Speak."

The Sentinel will not be able to see his god, and yet he is there all the same, in every breath in Noah's lungs, in the blood that pumps in his veins, the warble of his vocal chords as he conjures his words.

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

There is no flash of light or warmth that fills the area of the shrine, at least not outwardly. Vi’s presence is firm and strong and full of every ounce of warmth and light the sun brings. The Sentinel felt him just as he had the day the god asked him to be his anointed, and a smile broadened on his lips.

”It’s been too long.” He said, though he did not begrudge the god at all for his busy-ness. He had duties to perform and fill, a world to help keep balanced. ”I’m so glad you came to me.” He opened his eyes and let his hand lift up the rose carved, ursur-hilt knife for the god to see it is meant for him.

Noah leaned back, looking to the shrine as the placeholder for his patron. ”The world seems to be thriving. A rebirth in the aftermath of war.” He shifted some. ”Even I am celebrating in the peace — we, my wife, Cordelia is due to deliver twins any day.” Noah’s voice was full of joy and pride, but the worry clung like ice to each word. ”But I worry for them.”

Noah Olson

the God of Life

Change author:
vi
"Be not worried for the time between our conversations. Just because we do not speak does not mean your effort is not noticed." Still the voice echoes, ethereal and filling Noah to the brim, though a firm hand does appear to take the offering, followed by the rest of the deity's body. The life that thrives on Vi's form here in Halo takes on understandably snowy overtones, but with every breath the fires in the Citadel's sconces will seem to burn a little brighter.

"So I have seen," he rumbles of Noah's wife and the growth of his family. "You need not worry, Noah Olson. Every life is a gift. Some are given a little earlier than others, that is all." And Mort accepts each one with joy and love. "But I sense that is not what you meant."

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

When the god materialized in front of Noah he let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. Noah wasn't sure if he would ever lose the awe he felt in Vi's brilliant, radiant presence. The god knew Noah down to his core, despite Noah feeling like he still needed to get to know him. Vi had chosen him--and if memory serves correctly, he had his eye on him since Noah was a child. The Sentinel breathed out, a knowing smile curling on his features. "I cannot hide anything from you." He began, his tone praising the way the god saw through him to his deepest, most desperate need.

"I worked with the others in the Second War to do as you commanded me." Noah remembered the words as clear as Vi's face was before him. I would have your light eliminate the shadows where the Ascended crawl. I would have you take it back, and I would have you take no prisoners. His breath caught on his tongue for a moment, unsure of how he was going to word this to his patron. "In the last year I have done what I felt needed to be done -- for myself, and in your name. But I must admit that I am feeling lost in what I am supposed to be now."

Noah Olson

the God of Life

Change author:
vi
"You cannot," Vi confirms mildly, letting steady fingers touch the carvings on the ursur tusk hilt. He waits, mercurial and silent and yet somehow still present as the Sentinel slowly allows himself to say all that which tightens around his heart - this, too, is something that Vi already knows very well.

"You did," he agrees, of Noah's participation in the war. "And your actions were commendable." What is he supposed to be, though? With a flick of his wrist the roses on the dagger's hilt seem to bloom and burst with colour, before Vi tucks it away in the folds of his clothes.

"I thought that would have been obvious," he admits, turning at last towards his chosen. "You are supposed to be Noah Olson, Sentinel of the North, father to twins, husband to Cordelia. You are meant to be as devoted to this peace as you were to the war."

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

The Hunter sat before his god in silence for what seemed like too long. A quieter, more introspective man by nature, Noah took each word from his patron and held it tight. The thoughts rolled over each other in his mind like the waves on the Svaturis Bay, crashing and drifting and pulling and pushing. But among the waves, sea foam floated towards the shore.

Noah nodded slowly, pieces coming together. Perhaps it wasn’t because Noah was a warrior. In fact, he had never really considered himself one until Vi had asked him to become his champion. Where once the god of life had called him to strike out the ascended from this world and draw his light over Caido’s citizens, he was asking him to continue to draw that light — in the way that he always had.

Growing up on the tundra, bringing home game, keeping others alive and well. Survival — thriving, peaceful, bursting hearts and minds. ”You’re right.” Noah said. Then, he swallowed a lump in his throat he wasn’t sure he was ready to dismiss, but it was blocking the next question. ”Halo is thriving, but I don’t think that is true for the rest of Caido. Vi, is there a place that needs my assistance — your light — more than the others?”

An advisor could become a diplomat, right? Just as easily a poor hunter could become a demigod.

{I would like to redeem my Mythical Companion birthday present in this thread!}

Noah Olson

the God of Life

Change author:
vi
It might be said that introspection is a trait shared by both the deity and his demigod, for as Noah ponders, Vi gives him all the time in the world to do so. Or at least it will appear that way - the god of life may well be focused on his own (swarming and complex) machinations until the Sentinel sees fit to speak up. And when he does, it's with a gentle tilt of his head that Vi ponders the question.

"I believe you already know that answer," he says, "but I will say it all the same. The Hollowed Grounds has been living under the shadow of the Voice for far too long, and even though she is no more, it remains stagnant. You might serve it well - and it might well serve you in return."

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

It wasn’t exactly the words that Noah was hoping to hear, but deep down within him he somehow knew they were the words the deity was going to speak nonetheless. The place where the Voice had been imprisoned, her ascended made their claim, and now lay in dust and ruins with no direction. There were still people there, lives that Vi himself breathed vigor into. The hunter nodded, rocking back on his heels slightly. ”As you wish.”

He couldn’t help the thoughts that brushed up against his words, the will and urge to press back and argue why not Stormbreak?—but he pushed them back. He set himself a stone wall against his own will and let the will of Vi wash over him. ”Darkeye is trying to right that place, but the people don’t seem as willing to move on.” Noah shifted. ”Do you think he is the leader that the Hollowed Grounds needs?” Because if Vi said it, despite his own misgivings on the cleric, Noah would support him.

Noah Olson

the God of Life

Change author:
vi
It matters not whether Noah tries to hide from his own thoughts - Vi sees them all the same, and the vein of them brings a wry smile to his lips. "We do not grow when we are unchallenged," he rumbles softly. Stormbreak may be leaderless but it has always been loyal to the old gods, and that remains true. To go there would be too easy.

The Hollowed Grounds, though...

Letting dark fingers pass through the flames of the candles that decorate the shrine, Vi's touch seems to make them all the brighter, and he regards Noah with the sort of quiet understanding that suggests agreement without it needing to be said aloud. Nonetheless, "The Outlander is a contradiction," he remarks. "He gnashes at the bit like an unbroken stallion, preaching peace whilst revelling in violence. He clings to his own gods, though they have no say here."

And let Noah make of that what he will.

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

Having grown up in the frozen hellscape that Halo had been, with its ever-shifting leaders and wardens leaving or dying, Noah knew how important it was for a city to have stable leadership. The people of the Hollowed Grounds, however, didn't seem as keen to pick a leader. Perhaps it was because the people that had chosen to defend them either died, left for the refuge, or were simply over-zealous with little understanding of the world at large.

"I will help them." Noah said, nodding to Vi's response to Darkeye. "I will help them in ways they choose, and I will help them see what needs to change." He shifted his weight some. "Vi, I have another thing to ask of you." He said, heat rising in his chest. He wasn't sure if this was selfish or not, but the god knew his inner most self, and would be able to decipher maybe even better than he could. "If I am to help the Hollowed Grounds, I need confidence that my family will be safe here when I am gone. I am asking for your protection over them -- Cordelia, my children -- when I can't be at their sides."

This was the right thing to do, and in all of Noah's life, that had been his deepest motivation.

Noah Olson

the God of Life

Change author:
vi
Vi inclines his head, evidently glad that his demigod is in agreement, whether or not it would have been his first choice. And that ought to have been that, so when Noah speaks again, the god of life gazes down at him with the quiet consideration of the ages, where black holes yawn and galaxies burst to life.

"Protection from what?" he asks, as if to reiterate once more that they are no longer in the clutches of a war, where danger may lurk around every corner. Nevertheless, Noah has asked and Vi is listening. "You have done much, Noah Olson. I will not meddle with the natural order of things, but I will give you this."

A wintry gale stirs within the shrine, and while Noah may need to strain to hear it, from without comes the unmistakeable sound of hoofbeats. "Serve her well and she will serve you in return." And almost as if it were always there, the Sentinel will feel something snap to life within his mind; a tethered bond to a consciousness as impatient to meet him as it is to get to work.

Table base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

The fear that had gripped Noah’s heart for so long and the worry that crept behind his eyes started to show as his voice caught in his throat. ”My mother died giving birth to my sister. I do not wish the same for my wife.” He let his eyes close for a moment, but as Vi continued to speak and the sound of hoof beats unmistakably hit his ears, the hunter lifted his head again.

From the darkness she seemed to emerge. Made of sunlight and clouds, the unicorn stood tall and proud before Noah. The hunter felt something twist within him, and he couldn’t help but close the distance between him and the unicorn. He reached out for her, and she mirrored the movement. Noah ran his hand down her curved, muscled neck; she ran the point of her muzzle down his opposite arm. ”She’s perfect.” He said, somehow knowing the power that ran through her veins, ready to be used to keep the vigor in those that needed it.

”Thank you.” Noah dipped his head with much respect, waiting at the shrine until Vi had gone, before taking his new companion and heading towards home.

FIN

Noah Olson