[SE] The darkness doesn't need us
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
The sun and stars may have hidden their faces for a week but Torchline's coast glittered in a display of fire and light that echoed the sky's more usual glory. Large bonfires crackled and burned, leaping a dozen feet and more above the revelers below but smaller, cozier campfires dotted the beach as well among the eponymous torches that gave the region its name.

One of those little fires, conveniently near a deep tide pool, had been abandoned by its original makers and subsequently adopted by a mermanta who used his goddess-given trident to spear driftwood that was out of his reach and drag it over to keep the little conflagration going.

His circlet of rule was conspicuously absent for the moment and his silver hair flowed unbound over his bare, dark shoulders as he relaxed half-out of the water at the tide pool's edge, watching the fire dance with meditative fascination and sipping from a large jug of rice wine.

Open!

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
From the side of the tidepool, caught carelessly between two rocks is a small vial of glass. It'd likely have gone unnoticed but for the light of the fire which caused it to sparkle and shine with a warm golden light.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray had been wandering the coast out on an evening walk when she heard the sound of disturbed water. Walking over cautiously, eyes flashing with feline sight, she spotted her dear friend. Hadama. The Attuned called happily as she hurried over. How are you..? She trailed off as her foot knocked into something. Peering down, she let out a noise of confusion. What is this?

Picking it up revealed to be some kind of vial of glass. I think I found something. Ray walked over to her initial goal at Hadama's side and held it out for him to see. The glass glinted in the fire, looking almost like a living flame.
In death
And in what comes after
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray, he rumbled back, pleased and not entirely surprised at the herbalist's appearance. It was a time for finding friends, by luck or fate, and as he looked away from the fire and towards the lady his eye caught on a flicker of glass. Look ou-- ah. His warning came too late, but there was no harm done.

Emerald eyes contemplated the vial curiously and then widened in recognition. May I? He reached for the glass bottle but paused his hand politely to be certain that Ray was willing to relinquish it. I have been looking for a glass bottle in the water. He paused, looking up at his friend solemnly. I had an... encounter. At Aumakua. An owl with stars in its eyes. Perhaps this is related to its message.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray handed the vial over without hesitation. Have you? Hadama quickly explained himself and the herbalist's eyes met her friend's. Concern and intrigue made their way through the bond as she processed the information. An owl with starry eyes? We should open the vial then. A message in a bottle was always an object of curiosity. One with a potential link to an unknown entity, even more so.

Ray came over and sat close to Hadama, eyeing the vial in his hand. Be careful. She of course wanted to know what was in it. But not at the cost of her friend's wellbeing.
In death
And in what comes after
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Yes. It is the second strange encounter I have had while praying at Aumakua. He took the vial gratefully and patiently examined it in the light of the fire while they spoke. Both benign. But I have not seen Safrin there in some time. Perhaps it was time to return to the Shrine beneath the sea for his personal prayers, though he would be with Ray when she went to ask her boon after LongNight.

He nodded at Ray's concern and held the vial carefully over a dry, shallow depression beside the tide pool where the water had yet to flow in. If something fell out he wanted it to be safe from the waves but close enough for one of them to catch it.

Thumbing the top off, he attempted to peer within.

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
Within is a scrap of parchment with the following writ upon it:

What you choose to do with this information (and with who) is up to you. IF you attempt to do what is written here, post the corresponding thread in the admin-replies-needed channel.
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
Ray looked over the page as Hadama unfolded it. The words, if they could call it that were jumbled and at first glance indecipherable. But the longer the Attuned looked at it, the more patterns she noticed. Hang on, I have an idea.

Grabbing a piece of driftwood, she quickly copied the 'words' down in the sand. I think it's a cipher. 'N' is alone so it must be 'A'. 'GUR' shows up three times so it's probably 'The', which tells us what those letters are. After a few more deductions, Ray glanced at her friend with a pinched brow. I think I'm stuck. Do you have any idea what the rest might be? The Attuned was generally good with information and puzzles, but she unfortunately had minimal experience with ciphers.
In death
And in what comes after
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Once there had been a man in the Hollowed Grounds who had been known as a Lorekeeper...

Hadama was not that man. But he watched with curiosity as Ray scratched out the message and explained what she was about, changing letters and describing the cipher. He tilted his head and pointed to one word in particular. That is 'kraken,' he decided with confidence. So that must be 'Maw.' 'LongNight' quickly followed, and he recognized 'Aquiex' soon after that.

It was a pleasant way to spend an evening by the fire side, and Hadama shared his drink and enjoyed the company while they translated the message in its entirety.

Wait until LongNight. Take a sun-bleached stone and a live aquiex to the kraken in the Maw. Trade for the map.

Hadama settled back into the water thoughtfully and then reached out to lift a pale stone from the side of the tide pool. Here is a stone. Tomorrow I will seek an aquiex. It is not wise to disturb the kraken. But I think this is important. He turned to Ray, teasing challenge and invitation in warm emerald eyes as he looked up at her. Will you join me?
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
Vibrancy is crucial
In life
This wasn't what Ray had expected her Longnight to become, but she wasn't complaining. Spending an evening enjoying a friend's company and solving a puzzle was enjoyable. Sipping her drink, she happily worked alongside Hadama as they finally cracked the code. Rereading it a few times, the herbalist bit her lip in contemplation.

As Hadama spoke through the bond, Ray glanced back over at her friend, giving a firm nod. I agree. This is too important. I'll happily join you. Let's head out tomorrow morning. Although time was sometimes difficulty to keep track of during LongNight, the Attuned wanted both of them rested before they set out on their journey. With a few more preparations made, the two parted to make their ways home.

-{FIN}
In death
And in what comes after