[se] whirlwinds of glass
Cozy During LN SE - for Harper
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
The evening came and stayed, with every wicked promise lingering in between starless skies. And perhaps just as malicious and seditious, the Honeybee stared back up from her perch in the sand, toes dug into its depths, bottle of booze slung in her hand. The bonfire lurched from overhead, and Sila fed it proudly with flames and some new weight to her confidence, and Fangorn joined the sentiments with waving vines and grumbles.

Her eyes flickered from LongNight abyss to the gathered drunks further down the beach lane; caterwauling and singing horrible, some sea shanty she could’ve shared in, had her mood not been melancholic. There were things to celebrate, like survival and life, another year without all of them falling into death and damnation. But the youth was listless now more than ever, and her eyes narrowed slightly, raising her glass to nothingness. “Cheers,” she muttered and mumbled, before taking another swig.
to be the sun
MELITA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
Harper
I see what lies heavy on your heart
Maeve has been almost impossible to find and pin down this season. Between trying to find a new normal after her stepping down, Edmund disappearing, and now this - Harper is admittedly lost. Longnight is normally a time of celebration now that the war is over and the monsters are gone, but even the cheery drunkards and the crackling fires can't improve his darkening mood. Most who see him - uncharacteristically stormy in the face, drawn to full height, hand white around whatever bottle still has liquid in its depths - scuttle away with strange stares that don't register. He has no idea where he's going, only knows he can't keep sitting outside Jude's door, wondering if he fucked up yet again by making the wrong choice.

He stumbles across Mel almost by accident, her voice a familiar mutter that still pings at the front of his brain. Pausing, the man scans the available faces, and then marches straight for the Honeybee to collapse next to her without asking. "Is LongNight preceded by a 'happy' or 'merry'?" he rumbles on a voice gone hoarse from alcohol. Harper never drinks, and tonight should remind him why, but he doesn't have enough sobriety left to feel regret.
and the strength you still keep inside
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
There was no preamble to Harper’s appearance, save for outlines and silhouettes coasting along. She half expected for him, much like the others, to simply meander on by, stumbling their way through the darkness to the next bonfire, hollering to friends and foes alike. So when he plopped down beside her, she maneuvered slightly to the right, giving him room amidst the sand and flames, huffing out something almost indistinct. “Probably neither. But we can go with merry.” The rest of the beach seemed to be, anyway.

A quick perusal over her shoulder left her eyes narrowed, speculative. She hadn’t seen him distorted or contorted before; usually an affable expression written along his features, even in the midst of fighting monsters and behemoths. In some show of growth, she gave him a matter of moments to settle in, to explain, and when nothing was forthcoming, blurted it along her tongue anyway. “How are you doing?” She’d heard bits and pieces of the Maeve and Edmund saga, lingering on the outskirts of confusion and upheaval, but naught more.
to be the sun
MELITA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
Melita is cherished enough to warrant the pathetic attempt of a huffed laugh that he supplies, but it leaves him feeling immeasurably exhausted. Like he's carving out further portions from a block that has no wood left to give. Leaving only score marks and scars that do nothing to replace the stability of the foundation he once had.

As she observes him, he observes the fire. Perhaps idly consuming more of whatever is in his hand. He doesn't care to figure it out; someone had given it to him when he arrived, and that's the furthest he'd looked into the matter. Though they don't know each other all that deeply, Harper knows the Honeybee's temperament enough to be surprised by her forthright concern, and it's evident in his expression as he turns to her. Silent, weighing. What would it matter, if he told her? If he didn't? It will change nothing in the end. He will go home to a house that he never built, with no leader to occupy the true purpose of the building, no fiancee to find within its halls, and only one of his two sons beneath its roof. So why should he?

Then again, the same logic says 'why not?'

"The second woman in Caido I've ever loved and tied myself to has disappeared. Her son - as close to my own as he could be - is similarly missing. At this point, what's the common denominator huh?" There's a spitting bitterness to his tone, and yet the acid burns only himself. "I'm angry. I'm fucking - I'm pissed Mel, but I can't be pissed because anger is a rot and I can't let it spread. Can't let Jude see it, or Ray, or anyone who needs Harper the Councilman." And does it even matter if he's a councilman now, when Maeve is gone and Hadama is a mere patch on a straining, ripped blanket? "You and me, Mel? We get left behind. That's all we're good for; being the people who stay while everyone else moves on to warmer waters." And it's cruel and unfair to drag her into this, and surely she'd be in her rights to punch him for it, but Harper has never been crueler than when he's drunk. Than when he's defeated.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
She’d seen the fatigue; an unusual sentiment written on Harper’s face. She’d known him to be someone sunlit and content, cheerful and charitable. But based on the words pouring out from him, too many things had been situated in his mind, in his life, to maintain those balms of ebullience.

And she might’ve softened a little, taking and biding her time, rather than boldly proclaiming something she shouldn’t – because she only knew the bare minimum of Maeve’s disappearance, of Edmund no longer lingering in Torchline. So she rounded over to the feelings, a precipice she knew well; of raw parameters that stuck and shorned, of flames that scorched and unfurled and gods, sometimes she didn’t give a single fuck on who she burned in the process. {sat}“So go ahead, be angry. It’s an emotion. Not around them, but…out here,” she gestured plainly to the dark landscape, to the flickering of fire. “You can throw shit if you want. I won’t tell.” Hell, in his place, she would’ve done far more than that.

Though the way he pinpointed back to her made her eyes narrow, a flare of dangerous wandering. “No, I move ahead.” Didn’t sink into her uncle’s measures. Had tried so desperately to get any of them to understand. And then, merely carried on, forging onward –

Her jaw clenched. “So what are you going to do then?”
to be the sun
MELITA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
The allowance of his emotion is unexpected. His mentors, his captors, his family and friends...they had all seen just how destructive Harper was in a rage, and had always forced him to keep it down and away from anyone who could be caught in the middle of it all. She makes it seem so very simple, and he can't help but initially scoff at the idea. But...Melita is stronger than him, here. Something he has finally gotten used to after arriving in an entirely different world. She could stop him if she needed to. And it makes him feel safer than he ever has before, though the sad reality of his desire for a leash and muzzle for himself escapes him.

Before he can tell her this directly, she snarls at the unfair assessment, and the shock of her previous revelation is all that makes him tuck his head down amidst his drunken anger and accept that he was wrong. "Yeah, you do. I envy that. And I'm sorry - wasn't fair to say." But as far as he knows, Melita has never had a partner, and maybe that's why she has never wavered, never backed down from the horizon she keeps firmly within her sights. "I never know when to fuckin' move on when it comes to my heart...and when I finally do, they waltz back in, expecting open arms. And they hurt me, and accuse me, and tell me it's unfair. But they left first." His voice begins to shake again, fury returning, hurt seeping out like poison from open wounds.

Standing is an act of wobbling that is pitiful to see from an acrobat, but Harper doesn't rightly care. She'd asked what he intended to do, and he's going to give her an answer. "I'm...I'm gonna throw shit. And y'can join me, or stop me if I get outta hand." And he begins with the almost-empty bottle in his hand, which he smashes into the bonfire in front of them, listening to the glass shatter and watching the flames leap high as they consume the alcohol within. It feels amazing.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
to be lit up from within
vein by vein
She took his apology, but wouldn’t have the fathoms to reach the other nuances. No, she hadn’t had any partners breaking and slashing her heart. She had worlds broken. She had a mother’s sacrifice and a twin’s demise, and then everything else battered against her – incapable of doing anything but moving on. Should she have stayed, stranded in her grief? Should she have lingered in those dastardly hellholes until she fell apart?

Fuck that. She honored, loved, and cherished her family, and then she clenched her jaw and kindled her spirit, her soul, all over again.

“I didn’t say to move on from them. But what are you supposed to do?” She shrugged, because the Honeybee didn’t know either. There weren’t any easy answers, and they’d didn’t smolder in simplicity. “Did she want your help? Or just leave you to do everything else?” She found it unlike Maeve, but the youth hadn’t experienced a child leaving, departing, fucking off to gods knows where.

If she was instigating or agitating it was difficult to tell, but Melita wasn’t afraid of him. She’d encountered rage so many times that she openly stared it in the face, waiting for embers to coil and bloom. As he threw shit, she laughed. “Good.” And followed through on snagging a piece of driftwood, letting it roll from her arm, and go the way of the bottle.
to be the sun
MELITA
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
He shakes his head mutely. He hadn’t meant to imply he’d move on from them. But he has to move on in some way regardless. Though his days are full with Jude and council duties, he has had no drive, no inspiration. Perhaps it’s a downfall of his to give himself so fully to his lovers, to meld their worlds and make them the starry center of his skies; because when they leave, they take all the light with them, leaving he blind and lost in the darkness.

He doesn’t have words to explain that Maeve had communicated nothing. The sharp bile of anger and grief chokes him too readily. Only the unexpected collision of wood on wood as Melita joins in his destruction startles him back into movement, eyes ripping away from the remnants of dark glass he can see in the fire. His grin is something jagged and ripped, but as he reaches for the next available item close at hand to throw into the flames, Harper spares a moment to be grateful that she’d been the one he found tonight.

- Fin!