Stars in the river and sky
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2895

It felt strange to be back in Torchline. Good, but strange. He needed to send a letter to his mum sooner than later. He'd promised her but it was still so difficult. The young Ancient's excuse of leaving to learn how to control his new form had long since passed. It'd been a season and Edmund had learned by now how to handle his new strength and bloodlust.

Shaking his head, he pushed his melancholy away. He had a task to complete. Find a river star and collect the debris of its last meal. Keeping an eye on the sky, he wandered the bank of a river, trying to locate one.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 72 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 73 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 10254
Deimos
The Sword rarely took an afternoon away from Halo, but with new insights and information about various flora and fauna, he completed his duties for the morning, with promises of returning sooner rather than later, before snagging at skyports. Faster than his flying forms, it’d at least grant him the ability to complete other tasks when he came home, all the while gaining sagacity and wisdom from the Torchline locals.

It didn’t take him long to assemble some more notations from some of the citizens, and figuring he ought to bring back something else from his pursuits, perhaps a plant, an herb, or anything else noteworthy, he set his sights on isles he hadn’t seen in years.

Though it looked like he wasn’t alone in those notions – for no sooner had his long strides swept along a river, did he see another. If he looked closer, he might have only seen some recognition in the features of the individual – for he’d never met the stranger as a youth – but certainly had with his parents. Instead, crouching at the base of the basin, directly across from the unfamiliar soul, he washed his hands in the streamlined water, already rolling up his sleeves from the residual heat. “Hello,” he offered, but not much else, scrutinizing, waiting.
what does it mean to look upon a ruin
we are boneless. we are boiling hot blood.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Edmund's eyes warily watched the stranger approach. "Good day." When the man simply went to retrieve water, the young Ancient relaxed. Studying the man for a moment, Edmund toyed with the hem of his shirt, "Um...have you seen any massive starfish like things floating in the sky by any chance?"

Realizing that out of context he likely sounded insane, Edmund elaborated. "They're called River Stars and I'm supposed to find one here." He just barely refrained from tacking on that his search was for a quest. But he still wasn't sure of the other man's intentions just yet. But maybe the man could give a clue as to where to search at least? Though giant flying starfish shouldn't be hard to miss. At least that had been Edmund's hope. Given that he was empty handed at the moment, they were clearly more elusive than the young Ancient had expected.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 33 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Deimos
The notes of apprehension, alongside the obsidian horns, were difficult to miss. He might’ve arched a brow, but where the stranger was already wary and edgy, the Sword permitted his features to remain wholly reticent. Perhaps his presence made the Ancient cautious. Maybe there were other notions spiraling along, and he’d walked in on something heedful, mindful, and requiring vigilance. Dubious and guarded in most aspects of his nature, his eyes narrowed slightly, studying, before rising away from the water, and back to his full height and stature.

Though his gaze widened significantly, probably in slight surprise, at the inquiry. No, he hadn’t seen any massive starfish floating in the sky – though whether that was a recent monster, some newfound creation, or just another day in Caido wasn’t out of the realm of possibilities. It wouldn’t have been the strangest thing to have occurred. “I have not,” came in a low rumble, though he found himself staring over portions of canopy, overhanging trees, and then the sea air for the bizarre speculation. “What do they eat?” Perhaps the stranger would be better off searching for those particular ranges.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

Edmund's shoulders slumped slightly but he nodded, "I had a feeling that was the case." The man had looked far too surprised by the description to be familiar with the creatures. Yet the man's next words gave him pause. That was an excellent angle to take for his search.

Standing up, Edmund ran a tongue over his fangs in thought. "I think it eats animals mostly. They apparently ambush them and then shoot up into the sky? At least, that's what I've been able to find out thus far." There wasn't much information about the creatures. Most of what Edmund knew had come from passing stories in his travels. All he truly knew was that the river stars were big and carnivorous. And apparently floated.

Luring an animal around in the hopes of triggering an attack sounded reckless, even for him. But if there weren't any in the sky, maybe Edmund would have to reconsider his plan.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
“Should be plenty of animals around here,” considering the vastness of the watering hole – even if it ran rapid along inclines and stones. Ignoring the way the youth’s shoulders slumped, for Deimos had never been much for giving in so readily, his piercing eyes flickered down the pathway of jungle ferns, plants, and vines, contemplating options. “Could likely follow the river a ways,” in either direction, waiting out the potential. It sounded as though the creatures would be difficult to miss, given their predilections for floating. Pondering further, the options churned in his mind. “Or if you find something it may prefer. Can use it for bait.” And while the Warden could lure prey out, that didn’t seem as sporting.

Snagging at a journal from within his bag, and a piece of charcoal, the Sword began jotting down some notes, figuring it’d be worth taking back information about the beasts to the guild. “Do you know if they prefer a certain time of day? Or if they use camouflage?”
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

Edmund listened as the man spoke, tail flicking up with excitement. "That's a great idea! I can follow the river and try to spot one." The young Ancient racked his brain to see if he recalled anything else about the creatures. "I think I heard someone say that they hid in the dirt or sand? And that when something steps on them is when they launch into the air to eat it?"

What he needed was for one to crash back down to land so he could collect the remains. Finding one in the air and waiting for it to fall seemed like the easiest route. Standing up, Edmund dusted himself off. "I'm going to head out then." The Ancient glanced at the journal, "If you'd like to join me, you may." Perhaps the man was a journalist or researcher? He seemed curious enough about the river stars to take notes at least.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
His nose wrinkled slightly at the description, but he added it down to the assemblage of notes for the new journal entry. The art of surprise was a welcome tactic for many a predator; but it didn’t mean he wanted to be on the other end of it. As long as they were aware…

Thoughts drifted, eyes narrowing, speculation and machinations running rampant, before he realized an invitation had been extended. Years before, even with the source of curiosity spinning through his head, he may not have bothered – too reclusive and detached. The Sword at present was nosey and wanted information, through means of his own experience. A deep rumble persisted, along with a vacant nod. “If you do not mind. I would like to record it for my guild.” Pondering over other qualities, and realizing he hadn’t introduced himself either, he stretched his free hand out to the Ancient. “I am Deimos.”
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

"I don't mind." Edmund then glanced at Deimos' extended hand in appalment. "Oh Gods! I didn't even introduce myself. I'm so sorry. My name is Edmund." He returned the Sword's handshake with a nod. "Good to meet you, Deimos." Where had his manners gone? His mum had taught him better than that!

Introductions made; the young Ancient began to lead the way along the shore of the river. Although he watched his step for stray rocks or tree roots, he predominantly kept his eyes on the sky. Edmund was determined to find a river star as fast as possible. He didn't wish to keep his Mother waiting on him any longer than necessary. Granted, she was more so indulging him with this quest than anything. But the point still stood.

"What guild are you in, if you don't mind me asking?" The young Ancient couldn't restrain his curiosity for long.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
Despite others rampantly seeking out the youth before him, the name didn’t resonate any semblance of alarm. Instead he nodded, committing the name and features to memory, before maneuvering onward in inquiries and potentials. Tucking his bag over his shoulder, and for once regretting not bringing Belial (for the peryton would’ve been useful in searching the skies well ahead), he followed along the course of the river, long strides ensuring he was never quite far behind, but scrutinizing, eyes narrowed and meticulous, searching over the details in either the embankment sides or the canopy overhead.

“I run the Monster Hunter’s Guild,” he mentioned in response, forgoing any other titles held. His piercing gaze landed on a few fish jumping and skittering out of the water – perhaps after a myriad of insects. “Could be some prey there,” and his jawline jutted out towards the quarry, wondering if the aforementioned predator would make an appearance on the promise of food.
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

"The Monster Hunter's Guild? Wow!" Edmund vaguely recalled hearing of the organization before, but he knew very little apart from the fact that they were based in Halo apparently. Which was a shame really. He would have loved to visit and hear stories from the members. Perhaps he'd be able to squeeze one out of the stoic man beside him?

But as Deimos pointed out a potential location for his quarry, Edmund put the thought aside for the moment. "Maybe." The young Ancient crouched behind a rock to watch the fish, trying not to let his shadow startle them. When a particularly large individual dove down near the shore, there was suddenly a commotion.

The sand beneath the water shot up in a plume of dust as the water where the fish last was thrashed against the current. A figure shot upwards from the bank and rose steadily into the air. Pausing at the tree line, it revealed itself to be a massive starfish. "There we go!" Edmund cheered, watching the river star float along with the breeze.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
The art of patience, of waiting, had long been instilled within the Sword. Training, war, battles, crusades, and multitudes of other things embedded the notions of stillness, and in someone so large and imposing, it had ensured he found a way to refrain from overwhelming figments. He crouched behind a larger boulder too, journal and charcoal at the ready, eyes tracking the ground, the sky, and the river in between, intending to catch the moment and record the notions. If it came at all.

But they didn’t have to meander too long, for sand maneuvered and shot upward, a fish snagged away from the current, and then ascended into the skyline, hanging above the canopy in a very impressive amount of speed. His eyes might’ve widened a fraction – used to the lumbering and quick movements of ursur, or the meandering plodding of frost giants, the eerie, enigmatic motion of monsters. “Nicely done,” he rumbled in return towards the Ancient’s excitement, taking the moment to record and sketch an outline and diagram of the creature, notes quickly written along the sides. “Do you need anything from it?”
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Change author:

Edmund heard the scratch of pencil on paper and assumed that Deimos had resumed his notes. Yet the Ancient didn't take his eyes off of the river star in the sky. "I need the bones of its last meal." Glancing at a fallen log, Edmund sat down. "I guess I have to wait till it's done with the fish."

The Ancient fiddled with the hem of his shirt, not sure what to do to pass the time. How long did it take a river star to eat? He had no way of knowing that they starved their prey for days on end till they died before finally consuming them. For a moment there was only the sound of Deimos' writing.

Then there was a rush of wind and a creaking sound as a river star that had been behind the tree line, slammed down into the sand just an arm's width from Edmund. Nearly jumping out of skin, the young Ancient dogged the array of bones that were sent flying from the impact. "Fuck!" Leaping to his feet the Ancient turned a bright red and slapped a hand on his mouth as he glanced at Deimos. "Oh Gods, I am so sorry." What language! His mum would have been ashamed.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
Deimos
The notions of necessities could be worse, so Deimos shrugged his shoulder absentmindedly at the requirement. His mind spun again, eyes narrowing briefly over his notes, before extending another question. “Are the bones of their prey useful?” For he couldn’t fathom why anyone would want them otherwise.

Quick succession of others rapidly deployed though, and he nearly laughed as the following star pummeled into the sand close to the Ancient. He muffled the round of amusement, perhaps for either of their sakes, hiding the sudden inclination to snicker as curses flew and apologies meandered thereafter. “I am not bothered,” for he’d heard far worse from multiple constituents, on their good days. His gaze went from Edmund, then to the potential for more scraps and debris. “Did that one leave anything behind?”