when it's dark out
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
Sohalia liked to think of herself as a cheerful sort of person. She was always full of light, and laughter, and fun. She hardly ever cried. She couldn't remember the last time she'd been angry - or even mildly inconvenienced.

But sometimes... sometimes, she could be sad.

Today was just one of those days. She woke to a cloudy sky to find tears already on her cheeks. She'd been dreaming about home again, and for a moment before she'd opened her eyes, she'd been convinced that she would wake to find her parents making breakfast, or Akiko banking a fire in the hearth. It felt so real that when she'd opened her eyes to find it to be her imagination, she couldn't help but cry.

She had enjoyed her wanderings, truly - but sometimes she was just so lonely. She'd no family left in the world, and she had precious few friends, most of whom were busy living their own lives. Sometimes it could feel as though she was the only person in the world.

It was mostly her own fault, of course, wandering around as she was wont to do. How was she supposed to make and keep friends if she never stayed in one place for more than a week or two? but some days were harder than others, and today... was just one of those days.
and that's the hope I have
the only thing I know that's keeping me alive
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
Lena
let me wander
with the ones
Lena was a fan of wandering too – through the estuary, surveying different species of birds that would never frequent Stormbreak’s reign – especially now, as it towered above clouds. Today’s venture had been partially a trip by skyboat to the Greatwood’s wide open expanse, and then curiosity’s minglings as a fox, intertwining little paws through the immense foliage. The ivory of her coat likely gave her away in some portions, but as she scampered, hopped, and leapt amidst brush and thorns, she remained completely unbothered by the prospects of being found.

Besides, Mittens probably presented another enigma as it traversed and floated beside her.

Smelling something salty, she lifted her nose to the air, intrigued, if not a little troubled. Other than its namesake, she wasn’t certain for the cause, but followed it nonetheless, the pair blazing their own trail along the myriad of leaves, beelining for the bank of the river’s maw.
who are tangled in stars
and tethered to promise
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia sat on the banks of the estuary for some time, undisturbed, her forehead propped on her arms atop bent knees, her shoulders shaking ever-so-slightly with tears that just wouldn't stop flowing. She pretended that the clouds above shrouded her from view, hiding her misery behind a dense layer of fog. That would be better than being found in this state.

At least it isn't raining.

Almost as though her thoughts had summoned them, fat drops of rain began to pitter-patter around the young woman, rippling the water surrounding her and tweaking the leaves of the trees overhead. Sohalia looked up when the first drop hit the back of her neck, startled by the water's sudden chill, and that was when she saw a most interesting sight. It was even enough to distract her - for a few moments, at least.

A beautiful little white fox hopped through the brush nearby, followed by a - was that a snowball?
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
The youth hadn’t expected rain today, but was content in her fur coat, shaking it ever-so-slightly, rushing the droplets away and casting them aside until the next onslaught. Peeking around another set of brush and thorns, an unfamiliar but definitely human scent intermingled amidst the earth, and for a split second, she very foolishly stopped dead in her tracks.

Because right ahead was a woman along the banks, curled up, and the salt flickered through the air again.

Lena’s ears perked up, and she pondered her next course of action. Run back into the Greatwood? Approach? Meander slightly around? Mittens was already chomping at the notions of slamming its snowball body into the poor, unsuspecting creature, and so the Caretaker opened up in the only way she knew how in this current state, shifting, standing before the stranger as her usual self. “Hello. Sorry if we were bothering you,” came on a light whisper and a small smile, walking in earnest to stand beneath a wide branch as it absorbed some of the showers.
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Perhaps the sight of a lovely white fox transforming into a beautiful human woman would surprise others, but as a shifter herself, Sohalia was unfazed. She was, however, quite embarrassed by her rather disheveled appearance. It was bad enough that the rain had left her hair limp and bedraggled without taking into account her tear-stained cheeks and bloodshot eyes. It was with embarrassment, then, rather than surprise that her mouth popped open and a soft, "Oh!" fell out.

Upon realizing that she was being terribly rude, sitting and crying in front of a perfect stranger, Sohalia scrambled quickly to her feet. "N-no," she said, her voice hoarse from all the tears shed that morning. "You're not a bother at all. I - I hope I'm not in your way." Sohalia swallowed. "I'm sorry," she added, tangling her hands in her skirts to hide their trembling. "I'm afraid I'm a bit of a mess today."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Not overly vain, but certainly expecting a few snarls due to the humidity and rain, the Caretaker combed her fingers through her dark hair, wringing out further drops beneath the boughs. Giving the stranger adequate space and boundaries, her brows raised slightly at the surprise, then the hoarse voice, the quick, sudden scrambles. Had the words not held doubt, Lena would’ve been certain she and the snowball had intruded upon something. It wasn’t in her business to pry, but she could already feel a pang in her heart for the youth – despite not knowing her at all.

Her voice came along as it often did – soft and light, unperturbed by either the surroundings or the uniqueness of the situation. “Not at all, and nothing to be sorry for,” came along a genuine smile, as she began to twist and braid the bottom portions of her tresses. “Mittens and I were just wandering through.” The companion replied with an eerie twist of its head, the stony fixture of its eyes gazing solely at the woman. “I’m Lena,” and she extended a free hand outward, in case the other felt inclined towards introductions. “And we’ve all had those days.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Upon hearing Lena's soft, calm voice, tears welled up once more in Sohalia's eyes. It had been so long since she had felt... mothered, she supposed, though that perhaps wasn't the right word. There was just something soothing about her new friend's voice. Sniffling slightly, Sohalia tried a watery smile. "I'm Sohalia," she said, taking the proffered hand. "It's nice to meet you. And Mittens," she added, not wanting to be rude, even if she had no idea what Mittens was, exactly.

Withdrawing her hand, she smoothed her skirts and looked out over the still waters of the estuary, taking a moment to compose herself. Part of her wanted to offer an explanation for her distress, but Lena was a perfect stranger. It wouldn't be polite to drop her worries on someone else's lap, much less someone she knew hardly at all. So, with a deep breath, she turned her gaze back to Lena, determined to find something to be cheerful about. "I... hope you don't mind me asking, but what is Mittens, exactly?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
The smile persisted in its prosperous and genuine artistry, shaking hands in greeting, in the exchanging of names. Sohalia sounded gentle, enduring maybe, against the backdrop of soft and delicate rain meandering through the branches, indulgent upon the blend of saltwater along the estuary. Mittens managed a brief grumble through stone fixations on its mouth, and the youth dropped one hand from her braid to pat it softly on the head.

Sohalia’s inquiry didn’t bother her in the slightest – though her response came along a melodious laugh. “Not to worry. Many have already asked.” It had become a sight in Stormbreak, considering how often she was chasing the companion down, and why it was currently leashed. “An abominable snowball. A bit destructive, but means well.” At least, she hoped so. Ensuring the end of the scarf was still looped along her belt, and keeping a careful glance on Mittens, her head tilted vaguely. “Are you from the Greatwood?”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Mittens, as it turned out, was an abominable snowball, which was very unlike any creature Sohalia had previously heard of. She watched it curiously, the tear tracks on her cheeks replaced by droplets of rain. "How interesting!" she exclaimed, tilting her head to one side. "I've never seen an abominable snowball before."

Loose strands of Sohalia's hair fell limply into her eyes, and she gently smoothed them back. Reaching into her belt-purse, she removed a leather thong and used it to tie her hair back. "I'm from the Hollowed Grounds originally," she said. "But I've been traveling since my guardian died." Her lip quivered as she said the words, still not quite used to being so very alone in the world. Still, she'd had enough self-pity for the day, and she soldiered bravely on. "I've wanted to see the world ever since the barrier fell, so... here I am. What about you? Are you from around here?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
“I hadn’t either,” she admitted with some frame of a sheepish grin; none, to her knowledge, had come within the Celestine or in need of support. Maybe they were a rare animal, or rarely required aid – she could see why, considering how Mittens took care of itself. Explaining the entire situation with the snowball fights, forts, and everything else were also complicated, so she refrained, permitting a soft laugh instead.

Finished with braiding her hair back and tucking any loose tendrils behind her ears, the Caretaker listened to the younger woman, head tilting likewise. “Oh, I’m sorry for your loss.” But she wasn’t surprised by a wandering once-Ground citizen; not after barriers had come apart, not after hundreds of years behind the multitudes, tucked away from the rest of the world. “Makes sense. What has been your favorite so far?”

As for her own whereabouts, a manner of pride instilled through her shoulders, and along the depths of her smile. “I’m from Stormbreak.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
It was a relief to hear that Lena had never heard of an abominable snowball before acquiring one for herself; it made Sohalia feel a bit less silly. A part of her longed to pepper Lena with more questions: how long had she and Mittens been together? how did she find it? was it an it, or did it have a set of pronouns she should be using? why didn't it melt?

But asking all of those questions would be rude, in Sohalia's opinion. So she kept them to herself, content to merely watch the snowball with curious eyes.

"Thank you," she said in response to Lena's condolences, offering a smile - a sad smile, but a smile nonetheless. "I've really only explored the Greatwood so far," she admitted. "But I had a wonderful time in Sidhe Village. The Undercroft was really something!"

Lena, as it turned out, was from Stormbreak. Sohalia had read about the floating city. It had to be absolutely fascinating, living amongst the clouds. "I read that Stormbreak is beautiful," Sohalia said, clear longing in her voice. "I hope I get to see it someday. What do you think is the best thing for someone new to see there?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Of a curious nature herself, Lena probably wouldn’t have minded the vast array of inquiries, but when they weren’t forthcoming, she instead opted to tuck herself along a large rock, mostly dry, with a beautiful working of moss. Her eyes and smile brightened at the prospects of the Greatwood, and all the legends behind it. “Ah, I haven’t been to the Undercroft yet. Did you get a chance to look at the books?” The Caretaker could only imagine the wisdom, sagacity, and knowledge tucked away, once only for the Fae to see.

As for Stormbreak, her grin remained in its effervescent state, eyes glinting skyward, as if picturing the world floating above the clouds, even through the midst of rain and canopies. “The Celestine, though I’m rather biased. I’m the Caretaker there.” Humming a little, she tucked her hands around her knees, bringing them closer as she settled further on the boulder. “The gods created wonderful gardens, and Frey sends animals that need recuperation and mending there.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
The Undercroft had been glorious, with its tomes overflowing with knowledge from the ages. Sohalia smiled, her eyes lighting up at the memory. "The Undercroft is amazing!" she gushed. "There are so many books! I enjoyed some of the history books and the books about different places all over the world - have you ever heard of the Oerwoud? I didn't even know it existed until I read about it!" Realizing she was rambling, Sohalia blushed and smoothed her hands over her skirts. "It was kind of sad, too, though. So much of the lower levels are just... lost, now."

Lena spoke of Stormbreak lovingly, and for a moment, Sohalia was just a little jealous. There was nothing in particular for her back home, and she thought of the Hollowed Grounds only as a place that once held good memories. What must it be like, to have somewhere one looked forward to returning to?

"Oh, but that's marvelous!" said Sohalia in response to Lena's revelation. "Though I must admit, I don't know very much about the Celestine. Or, for that matter, about Frey!" Sohalia giggled in a rather self-deprecating way. "Could you tell me about them?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
It was nice to see an entirely different side to the young woman – who’d seemed so very sad when they first met. The excitement flickered and rallied, and so Lena found herself leaning forward, enraptured by each word, if a bit laughing at the notions. “That sounds wonderful. Maybe I’ll find a way to go sometime.” A little nook full of books sounded like perfection. “And I’ve been to the Oerwoud! A lovely place.” And then her head tilted, brow furrowing slightly. “How did they become lost?”

As for the Celestine and the gods, the Caretaker could continue to wax poetical. “We have enclosures in the gardens for the animals to stay within while they recuperate. Frey ensures everything they need is there.” Another hum started in her throat; birdsong warbles. “Frey has two aspects: sex and nature. They are the heralds of Rae, who appears as twins. They believe in change and evolution. Things constantly altering.”
that kept so many warm