[se] you don't have to believe me
Open Dress-making SE
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
When Alys had first heard that there was to be a Flowerbirth Ball, she'd thought little of it. She wasn't really a dancing and drinking kind of person; if anything, she'd likely be nothing more than a wallflower at any given social function. But then she'd thought about it, and she'd wondered if it would be possible to find new clients there. Maybe she could set up a little station for readings, or give them on the fly to make a little money. Besides, she was slowly, but surely, beginning to make friends, and if they were going, then surely it wouldn't be too bad, right?

Having taken a break from Halo and its chilly weather, Alys found herself in the Greatwood, an area with which she was familiar from her travels before settling, albeit temporarily, in Halo. She wandered now amongst the stalls of the Bodega, checking this vendor and that, looking for the perfect fabric to make a dress. She paused outside of one stall that had a variety of cloth in myriad patterns, overwhelmed by her choices. It would be far easier to just buy a gown, but she hated clothes shopping even more than searching for the right fabric, especially when she was alone. At least, thanks to Hotaru, she knew what colors to look for now.

She fingered an emerald green fabric that she couldn't name, contemplating whether she really had the courage to go with something so bold.
alys glasse
waiting for the right mind to drive insane
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper
I was born in a big gray cloud screaming out a love song
After encountering Sohalia and spending the night at the local inn to restore his energy before the flight out, Harper had one last trip to make through the shopping center for the last piece of his quest: commissioning a fount of sorts to contain the power Safrin would grant him. Many are hustling about already in search of gowns and garments, and Harper does not envy their hunt. He doesn't plan on attending the ball this season - content to wait for the next, and heart a touch too bitter with recent complexities for such fanciful delights.

Unfortunately, it makes his own hunt a little harder. He ends up in a fabric store only because he is hoping to comb through the notions and cords they have, hoping against hope that the seller welcomes independent commissions as most do. The jewelers had all turned him away, far too busy with the Flowerbirth Ball commissions they'd already taken. The shopkeep had been promising enough, waving Harper away to wander the racks while she went into the back to gauge her current stock, and it's there he encounters the only other soul in the shop.

Unable to keep his nose out of things, Harper smiles disarmingly and keeps a bit of distance out of respect as he leans over. "I think that's a great option," he provides his two cents in a half-undertone, feeling oddly quailed by the quiet of the shop in comparison to the bustle outside.
among broken chords and unnamed cries -
what a place to come from
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
A bell jingled nearby, indicating that a new patron had entered the store. Alys ignored it; whatever that person needed or wanted was none of her concern, and she had no interest in socializing just for the sake of it. Besides, the market was crowded and busy today, with the Flowerbirth Ball looming right around the corner, and whoever it was was probably just as intent on their own hunt for clothes or fabric or jewelry or whatever it was that they would have no interest in Alys.

So she wasn't expecting the stranger to appear at her side or to speak to her, and when he did both, she jumped in surprise. It was a man, a bit older and quite a bit taller than her, and he was complimenting her choice of fabric. She stared at him, unsure how to respond to a stranger offering advice on her wardrobe. On the one hand, it was quite odd. But on the other, she didn't have much fashion sense, and having even a perfect stranger offer praise for her choice was reassuring for the young woman.

In the end, she simply said, "Thanks?" and left it at that. Perhaps, if she left it at that, he would go on his way and leave her be.
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
The lady jumps, and Harper immediately puts both hands up at his shoulders in the universal sign for harmlessness. He does admittedly feel pretty guilty for having startled her, and her terse response only makes him wilt further like a kicked puppy. But...he's simply so bored. And there's nobody else in the shop! So clearly the only solution is his tried and true method: being annoying.

"Making a dress for the ball?" He tries for his most charming and approachable smile as he leans against the rack holding all the fabrics she's currently perusing, trying to seem cool and laid back. As if he isn't desperately fishing for conversation to appease his ADHD brain. "I feel like even springtime in the Wilds is going to be pretty humid though, so I don't know whether to be glad I'm missing it!" Sweating through a tuxedo would be hell in his opinion. Though normally he's content to wear linen pants and some sort of flowy top, unafraid of presenting in more feminine fashion.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Unfortunately for Alys, the stranger didn't seem to take the hint. Instead, he leaned against the rack holding the various fabrics that she was perusing with an annoyingly friendly smile. She didn't return it, merely shooting him a withering glare before going back to her search. She held onto the emerald fabric that she'd found; perhaps with lacy sleeves... and so she began digging through the piles with gusto, suddenly quite sure of exactly what she was looking for.

But the stranger chattered on, and she glanced over at him as he said something about missing the ball. Curious in spite of herself - for hadn't she considered skipping it herself? - she paused in her hunt. "Why aren't you going?" she asked, arching a brow at him. He was an attractive man - objectively speaking - so it couldn't be that he didn't have a date. No, there had to be some underlying reason. If he was going to insist on speaking to her, she was going to make it as annoying as possible.
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Harper can read people far too well to not be able to tell that she is sick of his bullshit. But he is also a bored, dramatic, childish man who has far too little time to socialize these days. Plus, it just means he has to win her over! Perhaps he can even make her smile. Glancing at Alys again, that hope dies a little bit (she seems pretty scary) but his dogged determination refuses to quail under her withering glare.

If she thinks prying is annoying, she has met her match in someone who wears his heart in giant neon signs above his head. "Ah, my fiancee has been...gone." Missing, more like. That part is a little bit too painful to go into detail about. "My son is a bit shy, so I don't want to subject him to a big party. So we're just going to stay home! Plus, it gives the other council members the chance to go without leaving Torchline empty." Not that it would be defenseless exactly, but someone around to keep the smugglers and thieves in line on a day they would otherwise deem opportunistic would be good.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys was not as adept at reading people, and so she opted instead to continue searching through the pile of fabric. She knew exactly what she was looking for now. She had the green... whatever it was, and she thought that would do quite nicely for the bodice and skirt of her dress. But a little emerald lace for the sleeves would really polish off the look. She listened as she searched, oblivious to Harper's discomfort about his fiancee. (Alys really wasn't that observant, to be honest.) But his last sentence gave her pause, and she glanced at him, tilting her head to one side, her brow furrowed in confusion. "You're a council member of Torchline?" she asked, her tone that of disbelief.

Social butterfly though she was not, she immediately realized her blunder and flushed. "You just - you don't seem - " Flustered, she shook her head, dark curls bouncing to hide her face. "Do you see any green lace?" she asked instead, opting to - very obviously - change the subject instead of face up to what she'd said.
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Her disbelief should be offensive, but it's plainly not. Harper has had more than his fair share of narrowed eyes, disbelieving snorts, and less-than-muttered accusations of simplicity, stupidity, or naivety. He doesn't mind. He has seen horrible, horrible things - and done far worse. Devoting his life to happiness and the simple joys in life is the best reward he can think for himself. "I am! Have been for a long time now, myself and my friend Ray. She's also our local herbalist, and I'm a teacher." Because he can tell a visitor when he sees one (given he knows just about everybody with his constant socializing and patrolling) and there's no harm in giving her a leg up on connections.

Laughing, he waves away her awkward, abandoned prelude to an apology. "No worries, I hear it a lot. I'm far too chipper for Caido's brand of angst and suspicion." He says the last three words in the same way an embarrassing dad would say 'spoooooky noises' at a campfire spinning a bad rendition of a horror story.

At her clear attempt at a distraction Harper obligingly turns and begins helping scan the racks and cubbies, using his height to his advantage to find her requested lace sitting on a taller shelf. "Doesn't look like a lot of options for that color, but there's this," he offers, pulling it down for her and handing it over.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
At Harper's admission, Alys raised an eyebrow, both surprised and intrigued by the notion that he was, in fact, a council member. She supposed he could be making it up, but he seemed too open and friendly by far - and besides, what benefit would he get from lying? She had never been to Torchline, and had no real intentions of visiting any time soon. And they'd just met, so it was unlikely he wanted something from her. She pursed her lips slightly as she thought, but as he waved away her awkward apology, she snorted a laugh in spite of herself. He certainly was chipper. At least he was self-aware.

The pair of them searched the racks and tables for a moment before Harper found something on a tall shelf, where Alys couldn't have seen or reached. When he pulled it down, her face lit. "That's perfect!" She took it from him with a gruff word of thanks. Then, she hesitated. She'd never made a gown before; what if her idea was going to look horrible? So she fidgeted with the fabric for a moment, took a deep breath, and asked, "What do you think? This for the bodice, and the lace for the sleeves?"
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
She is far bubblier with satisfaction on her face and excitement in her eyes, and Harper shares in it, grinning as he hands her the lace readily. Though the question is unexpected given her general mulish countenance, Harper doesn't hold it against her in the least, and steps back to look at both the gown-to-be and the woman who would be wearing it. "Hmmm. I think it would look really pretty, but the green on green means you should probably have an accent color to break it up. Maybe gold accessories? It'll go well with the spring theme!" And would surely look beautiful on the green backdrop of her dress.

His name is called by the shopkeep who had disappeared into the back, and Harper turns to look before drawing his eyes back to Alys. "Care to return the favor? I'm having an item made, but I want it to be universally fashionable." He'd wait to see if she was interested before leading them back towards the check out table, allowing her to decline if she wished.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys took the man's words into consideration, pondering the collection of fabric in her hands. She pondered the suggestion of gold, thinking of her sparse collection of accessories, and bit her lip. She'd have to make a trip to yet another store, if she was going to accessorize. She'd been so focused on the dress that she hadn't even stopped to consider what she would need to wear with it. "Gold would be nice," she admitted grudgingly.

When Harper asked if she would care to return the favor, Alys looked up with surprise. She hadn't really thought their conversation had been going particularly well, and she really hadn't thought that the man would want to spend time with her beyond that in which the shopkeep was gone to the back of the store. "Um, sure," she said finally, and followed Harper back to the counter.
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Her words are distinctly at odds with her facial expression, which is both befuddling and amusing to Harper. "There's a great seller who has fake gold if you want to save some money, they're still great quality for wearing. They're on the end of the south-eastern dock." Whether or not she pursues that is up to her, but he can't resist oneeee last chance at being helpful.

It seems to pay off too, because she joins him at the counter in a manner not unlike a reluctantly curious alley cat. The shopkeep doesn't seem to care that she joins him, merely sliding the finished piece across the top. It is a necklace, long enough to be hidden beneath nearly all of his clothes. A well-oiled leather cord as Harper is not one for chains, and the key piece - the bottom. It is a polished piece of raw morganite, with a beautiful pink hue. Silver wire is artfully wrapped around it to keep it secure and tethered to the cord. "It's called morganite. In my home world, stones were often given meaning for meditation and such. It's supposed to represent love, compassionate energy, and heart healing. It's mean to give you courage and heart in hard times! It's also super strong so it won't break as easily as other stones thankfully." He sandwiches the meaning in between so as not to dwell too long on why he'd chosen it, or have her do the same. Taking it from the seller, he tries it on, and the stone sits right at his sternum. "What do you think? Personally I love pink, which was a bonus."
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys nodded at Harper's advice. "Thank you," she said, and watched as he meandered his way to the counter. She made a mental note to check out the vendor that he'd recommended, then made her was reluctantly to the counter. She supposed that, since Harper had helped her, the least she could do was return the favor.

The piece in question was a beautiful stone wrapped in silver wire, and placed on a long leather thong to be worn around his neck. The gem was pink and bright, and Alys listened to Harper's explanation of its meaning with interest. She had always been one for hidden meanings and messages. "Fascinating," she murmured. "I'd be interested to know what meanings are held by other stones." Then she shook herself, returning her attention to the matter at hand. "The stone is beautiful, and the craftsmanship of the necklace is extraordinary. It looks good on," she added, because it seemed like perhaps that was more the answer he'd been looking for.
alys glasse
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
He is relieved that her initial visible reaction is a positive one long before she gathers her words. “I don’t know if Caido has the same beliefs, but maybe I can tell you about them next time we meet? They were popular for divination and emotional healing if that’s up your alley.” While he wasn’t the most metaphysical man, he’d taken comfort in the ideas on his homeworld. If he only knew then what Caido would hold for him. “I won’t take up any more of your time since you have a dress to make.” An event he can only assume takes up quite a bit of time. For all his talents, sewing was not among the roster for Harper.

“That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thank you Alys.” Beaming brightly, he takes a moment to turn and seal the deal with the shopkeep, keeping the pendant on since it was clear he’d be wearing it out. The Fae turns to Alys next, clearly ready to check her out for her fabric, and Harper steps out of the way. “It was really nice to meet you. Good luck on your dress, and hit me up if you’re ever in Torchline! My name is Harper.” Belatedly realizing they’d never exchanged names. With that he waves as he heads out back into the market, unsure if the impression he’d left was a good one.

- Fin!