[SE] one last breath
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
Sohalia unlocked the shop, her hands heavy with bags from the market, and ducked inside, closing the door behind her. She ignored the little bell that jingled overhead as she made her way up the stairs and into her apartment, setting the bags on the kitchen counter. It was a small flat, but open and airy, with plenty of natural light. Soh kept a variety of plants on the windowsills and hanging from the ceiling to brighten thing up even more. It wasn't much, but it was home, and Soh loved every part of it.

She began to unpack her groceries, setting aside the things she would need to prepare dinner and putting away the rest for later. She wasn't entirely sure what Lena would like to eat, but she figured that a salad was a safe bet, so she had picked up some lettuce and other vegetables, along with herbs, spices, and oils that she could use to make a dressing. It was bound to be a relaxing evening, and Soh had been looking forward to it all week.

She'd left the door open downstairs and instructed Lena to just come in, so when she heard the bell tinkle from the first floor, she hurried down to greet her friend. "Hi Lena!" she said, smiling brightly at the other woman. "I'm so glad you're here! How are you?"
these aching memories still dance around me
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
An invitation to dinner had sounded fabulous, especially after working long hours in the Celestine. Lena tended to focus more on the care of the animals, rather than herself, so the notions of spending time with friends, with cooking, sounded like even more of a treat. Walking over into the apartment area sent a wave of nostalgia though she couldn’t quite shake; days spent across from her sister’s own rooms, wittling away the hours together with bright, warm laughter –

She inhaled a breath, ignored the look on Mittens’ features, and crossed along those vestiges and thresholds, listening as the door rang her admittance, as Sohalia rushed down. “Hello! Lovely place you have here,” and she smiled, meaning it entirely. “I’m all right. You?” Hitching her basket further along her arm, and ensuring Mittens trailed alongside her, instead of meandering around and instantly causing issues, her eyes swept over furnishings and preparations. “Anything I can do to help?”
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
It would not have surprised Soh to know that her friend cared more for her animals than she did herself, and had she known that, she would have been all the more insistent that Lena join her for dinner. As it was, when the bell in the shop announced her friend's arrival, Soh flew down the stairs to greet her with all the cheer and excitement that was her trademark. "Thank you," she said, holding out a hand. "Can I help with your basket?"

She led the way further in and up the stairs, where she gestured to the ingredients she had been preparing. She'd been in the midst of chopping lettuce when Lena had arrived, but there were plenty of other vegetables to be sliced and diced. "I hope salad is alright," Soh said, almost apologetic, as though anticipating that Lena would have preferred something else. "I wasn't sure what all you'd like, so just grab what looks good to you and start chopping!" She pointed out a second knife on the counter and went back to her own task. "How are things at the Celestine? Have you gotten any new animals since I was last there?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
“If you’d like,” Lena offered in return, but only because she didn’t know where else to put it. Perhaps Sohalia had a system for lone items strewn about. Handing the basket over, the Caretaker immediately felt as if she had to have something in her hands, other than the tether linked along her belt, ensuring Mittens didn’t stray, so she gave a breath of relief when there were more preparations to be made. “Salad sounds great.”

Sidling over and washing her hands at the sink, she indulged in a fragrant soap over her palms and fingers while the fellow Attuned persisted in her own endeavors. “The Celestine is well. The unicorn herd has returned to King’s End,” exactly as it needed to be, no matter how much she enjoyed their company. Drying her hands, she angled towards some cucumbers, snagging at the second knife. “Some blind swamp rats have come in from the Feverlands. Must’ve gotten into something.” Smiling once more, and beginning the process of cutting through the makeshift gourd, she began humming. “How is everything going for you?”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia set the basket down on the far end of the kitchen counter, unsure what was in it and whether or not Lena would need it and wanting it to be in close proximity if that was the case. She continued her own preparations as Lena washed her hands and selected some cucumbers as the next ingredient in their salad. When the lettuce was chopped, Soh took it to the sink, where she washed it thoroughly and placed it in a bowl, which she set near Lena for her cucumbers. She next grabbed some red onion, which she began to dice.

She was glad to hear that things at the Celestine were going well. It was one of her favorite places in the city and a valuable location for Caido as a whole. It was nice to know that animals that were in need had a place to go. "If you ever need any help, please let me know," she said with a smile. The red onions slowly disappeared beneath her hands as she sliced them into quarters, diced each section, and tossed them into the salad bowl. "Things are going well. Business has picked up this season; I think everyone wants to travel and see the sights while the weather is nice up north. I've sold a lot of maps for the Greatwood. I'll need to make a trip to Halo soon. I've gotten a lot of requests for there."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
The cutting required little concentration but muscle memory, though she still kept her eyes flickering between the slashing, Sohalia, and Mittens. “Of course,” she smiled, unfurling her first pile of cucumbers into the bowl with the other ingredients. Sohalia had been a wonderful assistant in the last little tour.

“Though you sound quite busy already,” and she laughed, slicing into a second cucumber, figuring one more bout wouldn’t hurt. Maps were an important portion to the world – especially with so many new, foreign, or altered lands. To a curious and inquiring, or adventurous, mind, they were exactly what was required. Or even merchants, traversing and traveling through distant portions. “I haven’t been to Halo recently. Prepare yourself with adequate clothing though. I hear not much changes for their temperatures,” even in the midst and glow of summer.
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
"I have stayed busy since moving in," Sohalia admitted, matching Lena's laugh with one of her own. "But I like it that way. I'd go mad if I just sat around with nothing to do and nowhere to go." It was one of the reasons she had enjoyed traveling so much, and why she continued to do so now. It was also one of the reasons she had taken up cartography (thanks to Deimos) - she could continue to follow her passion while earning money. Thinking of Deimos, she made a mental note to bring him copies of the maps she'd made so far, when she did eventually visit Halo.

She thought of what she knew of Halo and smiled as she sliced and diced her onion. "I heard somewhere that Halovians have different cloth than we have down here, and that it's warmer and more suited to the climate. I have a friend from Halo, so I thought I'd see if he could bring me some clothes if I sent him the money and the measurements." In fact, she was confident that he would, seeing as being a courier was his business and all. "I'm a bit nervous to go, if I'm being honest. I can't imagine all that ice and snow!"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Lena would be much the same way, so she laughed again, nodding along in understanding. Though her purpose was always twofold; to provide for the animals, herself, and to avoid any painstaking memories that came along with any idle endeavors.

Finishing her rounds on the second cucumber, the Caretaker eyed the current contents of the salad bowl, then opted for a few carrots, retrieving a grater for lighter parsing. Content with such an arrangement, she listened to Sohalia’s words. “It would make sense. They’d know best.” Unless it was the Draig, she couldn’t imagine anywhere else that would be so cold, and bold, all at once. “They have some fierce creatures there too,” her mind brimming to the ursur, frost giants, and lurking elementals; content that at least the last two didn’t make frequent visits to the Celestine. However, on a massive smile, she continued…”But they also have frost foxes and luxere.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Their salad was coming together nicely, and Soh paused her ministrations to listen to Lena, who spoke of beasts to beware and creatures to observe in Halo. Some, she had read about, having recently begun to study the books she could find on the native flora and fauna of the region. Others, she was less familiar with. Remembering the Ceffyl Dwr always served as a warning to Soh to learn as much as she could about an area before she left to explore it. "What's a frost fox?" she asked curiously. "I haven't read about those yet."

As she waited for a response, she turned to pull out some olive oil, red wine vinegar, and various seasonings and herbs to begin a dressing for the salad. Soh mixed her ingredients together in a small bowl and set that aside; Lena could make any additions or alterations that she desired. Soh then gathered a few plates and some silverware and moved to set two places at the table, listening carefully all the while.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Sohalia’s inquiry was just the right measure for Lena to finish with the carrots, her hands beginning to gesture in excitement. “Only some of the most adorable things! And instead of their usual yips, they sound like ice cracking. Quite a clever way to disguise themselves, really,” and she would’ve probably continued rambling, had the other Attuned not being making way with the salad dressings and silverware.

Washing off portions of the grater and ensuring all of the carrot portions made it into the bowl, she glanced around for another activity, the bout of restlessness beginning to contort over again. “Do you need anything else done?” If not, there was always snagging the desserts she’d hidden and laden within her basket.
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia grinned as she listened to Lena, always thrilled to find something to discuss with a friend that they were truly passionate about. In truth, she could have listened to her fellow Attuned discuss frost foxes and other such creatures all day, but it seemed that they had managed to complete their salad, and Soh whisked the bowl of vegetables from the counter and placed it in the center of the small table. With her hands on her hips, she surveyed their work. "They sound wonderful! I hope I get to see some when I - oh! Drinks!" she interrupted herself, snapping her fingers as she realized what was missing.

Rushing back to the cabinets, she pulled down two cups and set them on the counter. "What would you like? I have water, of course, or I could make some tea or coffee? Oh! And I bought some lemons and sugar, if you wanted to make some lemonade." She looked at her friend expectantly, waiting to see what Lena would prefer before doling out the next set of tasks.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
“I hope you do too! Let me know if you don’t though, and I’ll let you know if we ever have some in the Celestine.” Not to be gawked at, but certainly to be seen and noticed; especially as one of Halo’s gentler creatures, aside from the ningos.

The Caretaker hadn’t realized drinks were missing either, and so while she snagged at her basket again, her head whipped over. Leaving the desserts covered (efforts in surprises) for later, she placed them on the counter, before pondering over the choices and selection. “Lemonade sounds great,” especially on a warm, summer day. “I can make some for both of us if you’d like.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
If ever there were frost foxes to be seen in the Celestine, Soh would certainly be first in line to see them. Not to gawk or stare, of course, but to help as much as she could with their care. All creatures in the Celestine deserved to recuperate and recover before returning to the lands from which they came.

Lena made to grab her basket, but abandoned it for drink preparations. Soh grinned at her friend's selection - she'd been hoping for lemonade - and fetched a fresh knife, a strainer, and a pitcher from the cupboard. They could cut the lemons, squeeze the juice through the strainer, and catch any seeds that fell. She set all of this on the counter before Lena before turning to rummage through the cupboards again, searching for her sugar. "Lemonade is one of my favorites," she called over her shoulder as she searched, popping up again once she'd found the sweetener. "Here we are! Am I missing anything?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Considering most visitors came to the Celestine merely to gawk, either at gardens or animals, Lena wouldn’t mind either way. Regardless, the Caretaker was ready to apply all her skills into the lemonade, eagerly rolling the lemons along the counter for a moment, an old trick her mother had taught her, before cutting them in half lengthwise, and beginning to squeeze them over the strainer along the pitcher. “Just some water, I think,” the Attuned contemplated as she worked. “We should probably keep leftovers of this for the festival too.”

Humming while she worked, and pondering over circumstances well beyond either of their control, her head tilted slightly. “Have you ever been to something like this before?”
that kept so many warm