Mini Event King Tide
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Sometime three days could feel like three weeks when there was so much to do and not enough time to prepare. The moon was a cat's claw crescent overhead as the humans and Merfolk gathered in front of the Court of Stars. The nearby canal held the latter while the former sat on the steps of the graceful building or stood talking excitedly in small groups. Drinks - mostly alcoholic - from The Hanged Man and snacks from the Tidepool Bar were being freely passed around on the King's proverbial dime tonight, for Hadama was not above greasing the wheels of government with food, drink - and the promise of a show.

Once it seemed like most of those who were coming had arrived, the Tidebreaker cleared his throat and raised his trident into the air to signal a start to the meeting.

"Torchers," he rumbled, looking at the assembled humans and Mer alike. "You know why we are here. First, the question of leadership. If you wish to become the human leader swim forward now and tell the landfolk what you have done to earn it." As per the ancient traditions of the region.

Anyone can post their character arriving at any point, but if they want to run for human leader now's their chance to convince the people of their qualifications!

This ME will be moving on in 48 hours.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
flora

Well, well, well.

In a backless sundress the colour of a sunset, the Doubletake breezed through the gathering. She no longer felt like she was missing half of herself, but had instead grown into the spaces her twin had once occupied. When last she saw him in the company of Mort she'd promised Enzo that she'd live a life worthy of the both of them, and by gods she planned on doing just that.

With a glass of whiskey in one hand and her aqua gaze set on Hadama as he called for their attention, Flora glanced around at the crowd wondering who else might make a bid for leadership. Should she wait for her opponent(s) to step up, and then dismantle their arguments? Or should she swoop in and make a grab for the crown that no one else could possibly match?

Choices, choices; weren't politics fun?

Opting to go first -- it's what she thought Enzo would do -- Flora stepped forward. Sashaying toward the channel and offering Hadama a wink, the Doubletake placed one foot in the water and the other on sand. (See? Politics.) "Hey." She called out with all the charming informality of Alexis Rose someone not daunted by public speaking. "I'll keep this short and sweet." Flora purred, her eyes sweeping those assembled, offering a few winks here and there.

"I think it should be me, and here's why.

One, we all know who my family is and instead of pretending like that doesn't matter, we all know obviously it does. At the drop of a hat I can have two demigods here to defend Torchline, one of which is Safrin's chosen. Not to mention my mother, who is well-loved in Halo securing any relationships we might need there, same with my brother Mateo in Stormbreak."
Was that necessarily true? Shh, truth doesn't matter in campaign promises.

"Two, I've lived here my whole adult life. I fought for us during the war, and had I not, I wouldn't be standing up here alone today." No, had she gone to hide away, Enzo would be at her side.

"And finally, we all know that leadership is Very Important and Serious--" Here she frowns emphatically and her words grow stiff. "But, we need someone who can balance out Hadama. No offence babe," Turning to the merking, Flora winks adoringly at him. "-but you can be a bit uptight, and we already know we work well together."

Oh, and just one last little thing...

Trying to spy Melita in the group, Flora beams in the Honeybee's direction. "AlsoMelitaShouldLeadToo, okay bye!"

Flora nominates herself and also Melita.
damn they don't make them like this anymore
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK
Mmmmm yeah no Melita can absolutely sit down, thanks, Flora. But the Doubletake herself? Now that's an interesting proposition.

One might think that Jack would step forward to nominate his humble self as Torchline's next leader (the gods know he's lived through a fuckton of 'em), but anyone who knows Jack knows exactly why he won't.

It's also why Melita is a terrible candidate, in his opinion. Flora is easier to manipulate.

Perhaps it explains why he pipes up once she's finished her speech, his smile devilish and his drink half empty. "Ain't sure you're gonna find a better candidate than that, honestly," he rumbles, especially with the whole two fucking demigods argument in the mix.
Jack being an Abandoned is common knowledge these days, however his Telepathy remains a well-kept secret:

Magic: Passive Telepathy | The user can read the surface thoughts and emotions of those within a 30ft radius. Control is excellent. Note: "Thoughts and emotions" include anything written in a character's narration in a post.
Type: Grey | Rank: Mastered

Also branded with a small star tattoo beneath his left eye.

Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper
I see what lies heavy on your heart
It's a rousing speech, and Harper would certainly not mind if ruling was taken off the board for him in the end. He has been a council member since...well, a long time. Long enough to have seen far too many leadership changes in Torchline. But he had promised himself he would at least try, and considering he is already unafraid of failure, what more was there to lose?

Stepping up after Flora with hands folded in front of him and a warm smile, Harper takes his turn. "I have equally belonged to Torchline for very many years, serving on her council through multiple leadership changes. I too am close with the demigods of our region, but there is much to be said about the stalwart nature of our people too - those who fought the Kingmaker can attest that we did so without the help of our demigod protectors." Here he looks out to Jack and Melita with clear gratitude and pride. Jack may be voting for his opponent, and Melita may have been voted in (perhaps against her will), but they'd stood with him on the beach that day.

"I don't believe in maligning my opponent to prop myself up," or he would mention her age and flippancy, not that either has ever bothered him on a personal level, "so instead I will merely say that I have come to know many of you personally and have always held your best interests at heart, as you have come to know me. Torchline has seen far too many upheavals in recent history; I have been constant and supportive in all its changes. I would like to continue to be." There's no need to tout his hand in all the advancements they've made, his years on the council - those in attendance already were aware of that. All that was left was to make his case clear with intent.

And if he loses, at least he can provide guidance and council to Flora - so long as she would have him. Because frankly he doubts Melita will step forward, far more likely to run away screaming. His lips twitch fondly at the imagery, and he nods his head and steps back, finished.
and the strength you still keep inside
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 62 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 63 - Luck: 62 - Int:
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Melita
I never had a chance to be soft
I was always bloody knuckles
Not to worry ladies and gentlemen and merfolk, Melita was not motivated in leading.

It’d been a prior discussion with Flora, so when her name cropped up, quickly, the Honeybee’s brows furrowed, arms crossing over her chest. No hesitation after all the other speeches and barbs, she raised one hand to speak, loudly, over the mass. “I’m not interested.” What she desired most was freedom, and being snagged into a sovereign position was the last thing that would warrant. Just the thought of her being involved in politics made her inwardly shiver and shudder.

Let the rest fight over Torchline, and she’d fight for it, every step of the way.
and shards of glass
I wanted people to be afraid of hurting me
Jude Quinn
Singer

Age: 19 | Height: 5’10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Brit Online
Change author:
Jude
come on, come dance with me
Jude keeps nearby Melita if only because she's one of the few he knows who isn't currently bidding for the leadership position. All of his friends either live in other regions or aren't currently present, and normally he would stand at his father's side. Given how everyone is currently looking at the man though, Jude would rather die than do that right now even if it wouldn't be seen as strange.

He's admittedly biased given his father is running, so he keeps rather mum (though he does crack a grin at Melita's staunch refusal) and merely watches the proceedings in his quiet way. However it turns out, he and his father had talked about what the outcomes would entail for the both of them, and Jude would congratulate both runners no matter what. He has no personal deep love for any of the lands, but he was born in Torchline, and believes it should be looked after by someone who does have that attachment.
the earth is spinning, we can't just stand

Age: 37 | Height: | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: -- - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
There was very little reason for Andromeda to be here, except that the mer wanted to know everything. She had no desire to advocate or stick up for any of the land-walkers, but she needed to have all of the information to be able to gossip about it later in the garden. Lazily, Andy pulled herself to a shallow sandbar. Her body kept mostly covered by the water (at least enough to keep herself from needing to dive deeper), she let her brilliant fins fan out -- and maybe catch an eye or two.

With silence, but wonderfully curled lips, the mer watched the entertainment commence. One woman (beautiful, wonderful, and surely someone Andromeda would find herself spending time with) spoke up, and a scraggly but confident man supported her. Then there was another, strong-jawed but not loud. A fiery one taking herself out of the race. Well, that was boring.

andy
Soft ones, curled lips can’t get ‘em back
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
flora

Infinitely pleased by Jack 's endorsement, the Doubletake crinkles her nose and shoots the captain a bright smile, before letting her gaze loll toward Melita. Shooting the Honeybee a playful roll of her eyes, Flora can only shrug; she still thought Melita would be great for it, but if the other woman preferred to blast her cannons, Flora certainly wouldn't stand in her way.

And then, ohhohoho, an opponent.

Listening to Harper, Flora finds her eyebrows raising somewhat. If this was meant to be a polite one-and-done speech, no one had informed the Doubletake. Besides, this was Torchline, and if you couldn't speak freely here, then where could you?

"I very much doubt you have Ronin and Remi at your beck and call." Flora says with a small shrug as she inspects her nails. "And you all almost died because of that? It's one thing to call the Torchers StAlWaRt but it's another to throw them into battle when instead you could offer some immortals who will only go home with bruises. But then maybe.." And here she fixes Harper with a stare. "..my twin just wasn't stalwart enough when he gave his life for Torchline."

At the mention of maligning Flora, the Doubletake smiles politely. "By all means, if you have something to say..?"
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
Ah, so Flora wants this to be personal. That's okay, Harper will not be swayed in his kindly countenance - even as his smile grows a little more pointed.

"And yet, when your twin died, where were they? Why did they not stop it?"

He lets it hang, cruel and short, aware of the low blow it may be.

Turning his gaze out to the collected audience, Harper continues. "The facts are that alliances and networking are deeply important, and knowing the demigods is a boon. But they were called away by the gods because that is their first priority - what happens if we rely on them, and they cannot answer? Then only our stalwart citizens will bear the brunt." She could mock his wording all she liked, he could be just as cruel in wording without utilizing a childish tone to back it. "And furthermore, both of them abandoned their posts as leaders. Tell me, who leads the Greatwood and Stormbreak now? And should we rely upon them for our own city too given their histories?" Phoebe and Lena come to mind, striving to keep together lands with no leaders.

"You also voted Melita in, but implied she almost died fighting the Kingmaker, which is surely an insult considering she landed the final blow that kept it from reaching shore. Where is your faith in your fellows, Flora? And why should we vote you in for your connections alone if you change your opinion of them so swiftly?" He turns his blue eyes to her, unblinking and attentive for any rebuttals she may have. "As you said, 'by all means.'"

"But this is not a forum for us to throw eggs - this is a moment to show our viability as candidates. So instead, I will give mine." Whether she wants to provide her own after is up to her. "Aside from being a council member for multiple leaders and many years, which means I am already firsthand familiar with the citizens but also the ruling style of this region, I am not without my own connections in every land but the Hollowed Grounds. Including other council members, leaders, and important officials." And, hopefully, the future leaders (if they were ever voted into office, oop). "I have an established business here as a teacher as well, and have had my hand in all of the advancements Safrin has provided us over the years. My work has yet to end, and I would not expect it to if I were to lead."
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Oh you know, just literally fighting for everyone." The Doubletake snaps, about Ronin and Remi. "Did I say we should rely on them full stop? I don't..." Flora pauses, lower lip puckered out. "Nope..I definitely don't remember saying that at all. But it is an asset, and one that you don't have, so." She shrugs her shoulders dismissively. "Either way, you can't take credit for the strength of Torchline's citizens, just like I can't. All I'm saying is that in times of you know, not war, I have something extra that you don't."

As Harper continued, Flora absolutely made a show of dramatically rolling her eyes. "Cool story. Now that you've tried to spin the fact that my family was literally called away by the gods which doesn't really seem like abandoning their posts to me, and trying to use my twin's death as some sort of point, is there any other irrelevant stuff about my family you'd like to try and distract us with?" Flora wonders, before tipping her head back and laughing brightly as the conversation swayed to Melita. "She did almost die, the KingMaker was a fucking terror. That doesn't make her any less of a boss bitch. That's why I said she should lead with me when we talked about it before, and why I still believe it. I just think if we can put people who can't die in the line of fire, why wouldn't we? Stop trying to twist the things I'm saying around."

Folding her arms, Flora just shakes her head and tsks loudly. "I won't malign my opponent, says Harper, and then does just that. This isn't a forum for throwing eggs, says Harper, after having done precisely that."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
Harper raises an eyebrow. "No, but you used their strength as a vote of confidence for yourself. Therefore we should examine it." She continues on seemingly endlessly, and Harper folds his hands in front of him, simply weathering her dramatics. "They abandoned their posts after the war. I would not insult them on grounds I did not feel confident about." Because he is, and he's very aware of that - much as he respects both men, he doesn't necessarily approve of their choices, especially given he doesn't know their more intimate reasoning.

"I have given you a second time to provide your own credentials outside of connections and you have declined to do so yet again. I have nothing more to say on my own side, and am happy to continue the vote if nobody else steps forth as a candidate." Nodding to both Flora and Hadama, Harper lapses back into silence. He has said what he felt was necessary, and while he is far from impressed by Flora's so-called credentials, she could be free to boot him from the council if she won as her victory prize.

- Harper is ready for the vote!
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Uhm, you also tried to say you were tight with them, but last time I checked you aren't at all, so..." Flora shrugs and smiles. Guaranteed she'd never heard Harper's name from either Remi or Ronin. "Unless you mean your ex-wife who also calls herself my aunt? Regardless, helping Torchline isn't the same as ruling it so pretty sure your worries are for nothing."

Raising an eyebrow, the Doubletake just chuckles under her breath. "Last time I checked I don't report to you? And like you, I've been here. I don't need to itemize all the RQs and KQs and whatever that I've done here. You have all been here for them, so.."

But fine, if more was needed, ain't no problemo.

"You stand there and act all polite before being super rude and talking about my dead twin, so stop trying to play the good guy card.

I want this more than you. I have better connections than you do with important people outside of Torchline who can help us when we need it, and while you've been on the council that has basically never done anything ever, I've contributed just as much while I've been here. You can turn into an elephant, but I can call down Safrin."
Flora aqua gaze sparkles with a sudden intensity as she remained precisely where she was. If Harper wanted to fade pOliTeLy into the background, that was his choice.
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Well.

That hadn't gone quite as he had envisioned.

But from what he'd heard about previous landfolk leadership votes it was fairly traditional for the region.

Hadama's expression remained stoic throughout the, er, debate, sipping occasionally at his beverage (which was clear but decidedly not water) and listening to both sides with the knowledge that, in all likelihood, one of them was about to become his co-ruler.

When it seemed like the seafoam had settled and no other claimant to the position was going to speak up, the Tidebreaker once again raised his voice. "Flora. Harper." He nodded to each in turn. "You have heard their words. Now you will decide by casting shells - here." He gestured briefly to the large barrel which two Mer brought over to set on the shore beside him. Once it had held rum, but now it was empty.

For the moment.

Two large piles of red and white shells were deposited nearby. "Take one of each. For Flora, cast a red shell into the barrel. For Harper, cast a white shell." He paused, considering his next words carefully before deciding there was nothing else that needed saying.

"Begin."

Voting will take place via discord. Please DM Honey your votes. Voting will close in 48 hours.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
It must be said that Torchers were not particularly good at queuing, but eventually even the most drunken citizen had weaved up to the barrel and deposited a shell. Hadama waited until the last person had tottered back to the open bar before reaching up to grasp the barrel and tip it, spilling the shells inside across the stone pavers in front of the Court of Stars for everyone to see.

One shell for each person who had voted. No less, no more.

And the majority of them were white.

"Congratulations, Harper," the King of the Merfolk announced, and there was a silent pulse of welcoming warmth through the Attuned bond before he turned to Flora.

"Thank you. For your willingness to follow in your father's wake." He inclined his head respectfully to his young friend... And to the young woman who had risen above her grief to take her first steps out of her family's shadow.

While the people were gathered and still more or less sober enough to participate, Hadama continued with the second half of the meeting.

"Are there suggestions for the next project to improve Torchline?"