{se} let you dirty up my soles

Age: 23 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: - Strg: 8 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 14 - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Caden
Exploring the Climb perhaps should have waited until after Longheat was over, but Caden’s timing has never been particularly fortuitous. This time, it seems the gods find it amusing to order their followers to mine rubies and obsidian in the height of summer. Fitting for a goddess denoted by blood and heat, but not great for fair-skinned, freckly adventurers who are used to rolling fields and flat ground.

His foot goes skidding sideways for the countless time, leaving him with yet another skinned portion of his knee as he wobbles and clings to the rocky ground with his hands to try and keep himself from fully falling backwards down the hill. Cursing under his breath, Caden rights himself and hauls his way up to the top of the hill with his hands, brushing off the dust once he is standing and observing the summit. Covered in sweat and fine particles of rock, he sits himself down on the next flat rock he can find to examine his bloodied knee with a heavy frown. Great. Now he’d have to mine with an injury.
If he's home, I've got a message for the man above
Getting out is not enough if nobody else can come

Age: 25 | Height: 5'4" / 162 cm | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: - Strg: 8 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Dyn Offline
Change author:
Kallan
I am no mother, I am no bride, I am King
Kallan has hardly left the Climb, though she only knows it as “home”, since awakening from Stasis however many moons ago. She was comfortable in the relentless heat, warming her pale skin although no concern of burning had ever crossed her mind- from the sun or otherwise. The few times she had ventured past the fields of liquid fire and jagged surfaces only served to be confusing, although the hunting was often easier there than here.

She was returning from one such hunting trip as it was, having satiated her bloodlust in further pastures before returning to familiar grounds. She had a successful time, even having the luck to find smaller prey to take back. It wasn’t surprising to go complete cycles between bloodlusts without seeing another intelligent life, not when she spent her time traveling over Dygra's familiar lands. Which perhaps is why she was surprised when she sees a new shade of red after cresting the peak to one of many, many, hills. This particular red is only dusty from the arid surroundings, muting the bright copper that says hello as the dry wind picks up, ruffling the hair of the stranger that Kallen has now taken into account. He’s a few lengths away from her position, far enough that it seems he hasn’t noticed her approach just as she was surprised by his.

Although she is quick to pull her hair in front of the small horns on her head, and her tail is tucked beneath the waistband of her pants, she stands there longer than she’d like to say watching the young man from a distance as he sits. Kallan isn’t sure if she should say something or to continue on, but curiosity gets the better of her as it often does.

Her voice is rough from disuse when she calls out across the gap between them, her free hand moving to rest on the dagger she keeps sheathed at her hip with narrowed eyes. She had yet to have someone cross her path with the Climb that was particularly friendly.

“Who are you?”

Age: 23 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Caden
He’s not expecting company here, though he’s not in the habit of expecting company anywhere. Solitude is a familiar friend, and the Climb’s hostile environment had perhaps lulled him into a sense of security, familiarity. A mistake. He’s taken well off his guard by a voice, gruff and demanding, making him startle hard and grip his pickaxe reflexively as if it were a more defensive weapon as his head whips up.

It’s…a woman.

Mentally slapping himself for how stupid that sounds even in his own head, Caden relaxes his grip and awkwardly runs a hand over his face and hair to try and remove some of the sweat and look a little more presentable as he stands.

“Um, Caden. Sorry.” Apologizing is reflexive because he isn’t exactly sure what he’s done wrong, but he gets the feeling he has. “Dygra’s celebration requires rubies or obsidian so uh. I was just trying to go off the beaten path…?” His tone lilts upward when it shouldn’t, making him seem more hesitant when he’s really just out of place. Grimacing, the young man gestures to his bloodied knee. “It was a great idea clearly.” Given how put together she looks, the dangers of the landscape either don’t intimidate her out of familiarity, or she’s painfully (enviously) sure-footed.

Age: 25 | Height: 5'4" / 162 cm | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Kallan
Kallen raises a brow as he speaks, the mention of Dygra catching her ear. What interest did someone with such dull teeth and soft skin have with her? She was too far to confirm that he did in fact have dull canines but his being didn’t breathe fire the way that hers did, evident by how uncomfortable he seemed in this harsh environment. Had Dryga’s vision spread so far as to attract ill-prepared pilgrims?

“There is no path here, Caden.” She says it plainly, gesturing to the barren landscape. Although she doesn’t quite relax, his apparent cause and attempt at humor weren’t unwelcome, merely resting her hand over the sheath rather than brandishing it.

“This celebration though,” Her eyes flick to the wound he’s gestured at before quickly meeting his again. Although she derives no pleasure from eating other intelligent creatures he is lucky that they’ve crossed paths after her bloodlust has been quelled. “Why do you celebrate it?”

Change author:
Caden
Her brusqueness is not unfamiliar, so it’s a lucky thing that Caden doesn’t know when to quit. It helps that she is both pretty and the only other human he has encountered in days.

“I see that now,” he admits with a huff of a wry laugh. “Though I was hoping there’d be more rubies where people hadn’t mined it to death, so hopefully it will be worth it.” He’s not quite stupid enough to ask why she’s here if there’s supposedly no path, because she looks more than capable of kicking him back down the rocky hill without flinching.

“Well, because she asked us to. And because - well -” he begins to struggle immediately, defenses rising habitually as the prospect of talking so openly about being Abandoned comes to the fore. He chokes his way past it stubbornly. “Many Abandoned wonder if she will be more accepting than the other gods. I want to investigate that for myself.” Okay so maybe he failed the ultimate goal, the allusion to being Abandoned pale at best, but all things take time.

“Are you not celebrating?” And if so, why?

Change author:
Kallan
“She has spoken to you?” Kallen’s voice catches as she finds herself taking a step towards him despite herself. The memory of fire rolling over her frozen form is still fresh, alongside the soothing whisper that had tickled her mind in Stasis, calling her to wake up. A voice she hadn’t heard since despite her pleas into the void.

And here, they were having a celebration at her request? A celebration requiring the retrieval of rare earth. Kallen knew the area around her camp better than anywhere else in this world, and she knew that within a mile of there a deposit Caden might find interesting, perhaps even useful. She schooled the shock on her face into casual indifference before continuing.

“I don’t believe I was invited.” Kallen clears her throat after answering his question. “But finding this out for these, Abandoned?” Her voice almost purrs over the word as she draws it out, unfamiliar with the term.

“Are they really worth the risk?”

Change author:
Caden
A little befuddled given her own confusion, Caden's response is syrup-slow and uncertain. "Um, no. Word just got around that this season's celebration is dedicated to her this time." They were held seasonally now, but Caden had never ventured out to those parties and dances. This would be his first, and it's daunting already - but her stiffness returns, and Caden is strangely inclined to fix the rigidity he finds there.

"I don't think you have to be invited, it's for anybody who wants to show her some respect I suppose. Do you want to do this part with me?" It's far from smooth, but at least it's sincere. Neither of them seems particularly adept at socializing but Caden has been known to stumble his way blind through nearly any new experience. Why change that habit now?

Of course she makes him regret lingering nearly immediately after, asking pointed questions that poke at sore spots and ill-concealed secrets. "Better me than them, right? I don't mind sticking my neck out." Though he's deathly curious to know how old she is considering she isn't familiar with the term Abandoned. He knows Ancients are - well - ancient because of their stasis, but it's almost painful to remember that once upon a time they'd been as beloved as the other races. Deemed Acquired instead of such a painful curse of a name.

Change author:
Kallan
“Then you are brave, if not also foolish,” Kallen concludes of his character. Threatening did not seem to be within his wheelhouse, though perhaps it should be if he had ventured out to this wasteland. “But I would like to join in… Showing my respects.” If he was offering, it seemed rude to turn him down when she had the chance to pay her respects to her creator. And perhaps get some answers at the same time though only time would tell.

She continues her approach towards him, deliberately this time, coming to stop a few feet from the young man. She hadn't noticed his height from afar, but now she had to tilt her head to meet his eyes. “This land is unforgiving but I will show you the places I know of, as well as a place to rest if you wish.”

Her hand has left the comfort of her knife, holding it out to him.

“My name is Kallan. It's nice to meet you, Caden.”

Change author:
Caden
It's almost comical how his eyes light up at the compliment, only for his grin to freeze halfway, unsure how to take her mixed feedback. "Ah, thanks?" Laughing a little self-consciously, he rolls with the punch easily enough. She seems the blunt type, which at least means her compliment holds more gravity than most.

As she approaches, he too finds himself more keenly aware of her height. It's difficult not to laugh so he staunchly bites his tongue (again, she seems the type to kick him down the mountain with a stony expression) because her gravitas does not match her rather diminutive frame. Then again, Caden is used to being the tallest in the crowd. "Oh, do you live here then?" Plain curiosity spurs the question, only belatedly realizing it could come across as rude.

Luckily her timing of a handshake is perfect as it keeps him from tripping over his own tongue with apologies, so he gratefully takes her hand and grips it firmly. "Nice to meet you too Kallan. So uh, care to lead the way?" He tries for a gamely grin, hoping to come across as eager.

Change author:
Kallan
She gives his hand a firm shake before pulling back, nodding her chin once with a firm determination. Kallan can’t remember of a time where she wasn’t alone, any attempt to remember her past still felt like grasping at smoke. She supposed there could certainly be worse company than a handsome stranger with a nice laugh.

It wasn’t a terrible distance to where she had set up camp. They should be able to reach it before sundown, even with his haphazard record with the terrain. ”For now, I suppose. It’s where I awoke, but…” She trails off, tilting her head to indicate the far slope for their descent, turning on her heel to lead the way.

Kallen is quick though cautious in her gait, keeping her eyes on the ground ahead and sky above. Though not without an occasional glance back at her charge, if only to make sure he hadn’t tripped paces back. ”I think I would like to see lands that are not always bathed in fire." Her lips quirk into a smirk. "They say the rocks are always stronger on the other side.”

Change author:
Caden
Her steadfastness is admirable, or perhaps he is getting easy to impress after so many seasons of solitude. He almost immediately misses the feeling of her hand in his - that one is definitely the touch starvation though. At least, he's pretty sure.

Hurrying after her as she trails off and immediately strides down the path (though, in her own words, there wasn't one - at least not one Caden can see) he tries to choke down the sudden realization as her comment clicks at the same time as he sees her tail. All the questions that come immediately to mind are rather insensitive, so he chokes them down. It's a good thing too, because he's rewarded with the sight of her smirking.

"Hey, I'd be happy to take you!" he offers with a far more energetic grin as he hurries behind her. "I've lived just about everywhere. You can make your own rock judgments on the go." Readjusting the pickaxe slung on a belt around his chest, Caden falls into step beside her. "I will say that I burn easy though - I might need to bring a parasol." His freckly skin would riot if he tried to live in climates she would find enjoyable.

Change author:
Kallan
”Really?" His enthusiasm admittedly throws her off, she blinks. ”Even though we have just met, you’re inviting me along?” It’s not that she’s against the idea, the huff of a laugh even escapes her before she catches herself on a particularly sharp decline of the slope, a full grunt taking its place on her lips.

”Watch your step here.” Kallan calls over her shoulder, sliding down to more level ground below. It felt as though the land beneath her feet was guiding her each step towards the camp, the pull of the planet itself bringing her home even if the way there was not so linear. She offers him a hand to help him down, waiting at the bottom of the sudden decline.

”If you are capable enough to have come here alone then I’m sure I could be convinced of your company.” Kallan finally settles on after the initial squirm of thrill and uncertainty has settled. ”We will rest at my camp before finding the necessary materials tomorrow, unless you are in a hurry.” Although her voice lilts up towards the end it is said more as a fact than anything.

Change author:
Caden
"I mean sure, why not?" He says with a shrug and a grin. Caden is more than accustomed to picking up temporary travel buddies as a nomad, and while he was instructed never to form lasting attachments, it hadn't dulled his enjoyment as someone who thrives on interaction with others. Which is precisely why his grin only brightens at the sound of her laugh, small though it may have been. Heeding her advice readily, Caden barely winces as his bloodied knee twinges as he steps down.

The sight of her pale hand reaching up to him in offering makes something twinge inside of him, resonating with far-reaching echoes of emotion he can't parse. He takes it trustingly; she is very warm to the touch, but her skin is dry and smooth.

"No, no, not in a hurry," he rushes to assure. "I'm a traveler anyway, so I have my overnight supplies with me." Meaning she would not have to share or go out of her way to drain her own stocks just to keep him comfortable. It's not like he's in a hurry to get his hands on rubies anyway, it could certainly wait until morning.

Change author:
Kallan
Kallan catches the moment of pain that flashes across his features as he steps and her brow creases as she helps him down. Hopefully it would not bother him too much more on their walk, only a bit further, where they could rest and tend to themselves properly. She certainly wouldn’t mind washing herself of the grime a successful hunt had brought.

”Good. I will start a fire for us once we arrive. Do you eat meat?” She holds up the swamp rat just above her waist, looking worse for wear than it had a few hours ago. It would all cook up the same, though it didn’t look very appetizing regardless.

After they continue walking, Kallan points ahead towards the base of a much steeper climb. The makeshift camp of hers was sandwiched between a crevasse within the mountain, shielded from the elements if not a bit boxed in. It was largely made of found elements though she’d bargained for a few clothes that lined the shelter to a point that was almost comfortable.

”There, just ahead. We will be there before you know it.” She brushes the hair back from her face as she pauses for him after pointing to their destination, moving to retie the updo she had done earlier in the day. ”Tell me, what do you think of this place so far, Caden?”