[RA] Longheat huddle
regional asset discussion for Harper
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
The Court of Stars was a pleasant place to meet in the Longheat swelter. The garden at its center was cool and shaded and the fountain produced a calming music as its healing waters burbled and spilled into the basin. The tunnel that had been driven beneath the court provided access for Mer, and it had served Hadama well when he had ruled Torchline alone.

Now the burden was shared and lightened by another, and it was the Tidebreaker's good fortune that the other was a friend as well as a co-ruler.

A sheaf of damp papers with regional improvement suggestions, gathered from the noticeboards, was drying beside the pool that the mermanta floated in, but at the moment he leaned on the stone-finished edge of it and tapped a stylus against the sturdy clay tablet that served him for a rough notepad.

"There have been more tumsea shells washing up on the shore recently," he rumbled. "Nothing for concern. A change in currents brings them here. They may be worth collecting, however. Though we should also consider repairing and improving the docks." He tilted his head at Harper, seeking the other man's input and priorities for Torchline now that he had offered his own for discussion.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
I carry all I need to grow inside - give me light, give me warmth
Despite the tension of the vote, nothing had as of yet broken, splintered, or spontaneously caught on fire since Harper had taken up the mantle of King. It felt far too presumptuous and pompous a title at times, but perhaps he would grow into it. Either way, there is a persistent relief that he is not doing this alone - and he hopes Hadama feels the same, even with the growing pains of an absent council and much to do.

Today that muchness involves meeting to discuss regional improvements, and Harper sits on the stone edge of the pool in his swim shorts and nothing else, brown curls wild on top of his head from the humidity as he consults his own notepad.

"With the lack of monsoons now, we could potentially put it off one more season. I would also be concerned about heatstroke and other ailments for workers we would task to doing it." While they're all well-informed as locals, the sun could be just as deadly as the sea, even to experienced workers. "I would be interested in collecting the tumsea shells. It would be nice to encourage trade to support the economy that is not derived from smugglers." Regardless of what some people may think, Harper has no qualms with making Torchline safer and blander.
and watch me come alive
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Harper's points were good ones and the MerKing nodded as his fellow ruler brought them up. "It is cooler in the water. I did not think of what landfolk would endure. Thank you for the reminder." That right there was one of the biggest reasons he had sought a human co-ruler, and he was glad to have a friend on the position who would speak up and explain some of the strengths and shortcomings of life on land.

"I agree." With all of Harper's reasons. And one of his own... "For Longheat, the Tumsea shells." He made a notation in the clay, and then set it aside to reach for the noticeboard papers. He shuffled the small pile until he pulled one particular note to the top and slid it across the stone to Harper.

Why isn't the healing fountain in front of the Court not made of WHISKEY?

"This was posted after the vote," he explained. "Your suggestion for our next project was good, but I have been considering a project to improve morale, first." He met Harper's eyes solemnly, but there was the familiar flicker of mischief in the Attuned bond as he spoke. "A new fountain. Not of whiskey. That is a northern drink, and Torchline has its pride. But one of rum or tequila, perhaps...?" He paused, tilting his head to the side as his emerald eyes took on a wicked sparkle. "One that increases the luck of our people." Something that would likely be prized by Haulani's many gamblers, but would come in handy for many other reasons.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Smiling easily at Hadama's gratitude, clearly grateful in his own way to actively be witnessing his own helpfulness, Harper circles the resource line on his notepad with a note of finality. "Perfect. It's also something both the mer and landfolk can do, so we can split the duties between them." Prevent that heat exhaustion even with lighter labor requirements. There was no harm in being extra careful.

Leaning over sideways to read the note, Harper frowns slightly. It's hilarious, but where is Hadama going with this?

The answer is, nowhere Harper could have possibly predicted. The mischief in the bond makes his eyes light up, a slow smile blooming on his face that transforms into a full grin. "I think that's a fantastic idea!" Brandishing his pen at the notepad like a threatening dagger, his quick mind starts coming up with questions immediately. "We could also list it as a free, social-program-style resource. Available to our bars, with the understanding that once the alcohol is removed from Torchline, its properties will vanish just like the Fountain water." On a roll now, he scribbles on his notepad to get his racing thoughts down on paper, heedless of the chicken scratch it becomes in his haste. "It would boost the economy too, as bars would have one less liquor to pay to procure. The only kickback I can see would be from the agave and sugarcane farmers that create those alcohols."
and watch me come alive
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
It felt good to work with someone who shared many of his priorities but wouldn't hesitate to offer correction and alternatives when needed. Having a second person to workshop ideas with and sort out their flaws before bringing them to the Torchers was a boon that eased the weight of duty considerably.

And even moreso when his opposite number was willing to indulge his humor and hear out the pet project that had been slowly taking root in his thoughts since reading that noticeboard missive. Harper not only accepted the idea but embraced it, and Hadama watched quietly, a slow thrum of pleasure filling the Attuned bond as the Stalwart took the seed and fleshed it out with further suggestions. "Yes," he agreed, an undercurrent of enthusiasm - subdued but bright - in his normally-calm voice. At the drawback Harper mentioned it was the Tidebreaker's turn to tilt his head in consideration and offer his thoughts.

"Rum, then. Sugarcane is used for vodka and caçhaca, and in simple syrups. It has more uses than agave. Its market should be more resilient." He pulled his tablet back and sketched a quick, rough  map of ground-level Haulani in a few broad strokes to define the islands. "Now, where to build it... Kaiholo?" There were pros and cons of the port and main city both. Having two fountains at the Court seemed potentially unwise, however.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
For a moment it feels like they are two mischievous boys plotting the best way to balance the pail of water over the doorway, and Harper certainly hadn't expected leadership to involve that sensation, but he's ecstatic about it. They are in peace times right now, and he'd like to embrace what that means.

"Rum it is," he echoes in agreement, leaning over on one arm to look at the map that Hadama sketches out. A rather impressive recounting of it from someone who mostly swims around it, though perhaps that's exactly why its borders are so accurate. "Kaiholo seems best to me because not only are the markets there more focused on wares - therefore not competing with restaurants and bars that might serve liquor - but it also makes it readily available for tourists the moment they arrive." Hopefully encouraging them to utilize it to increase their luck while on Torchline's sands.
and watch me come alive
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
As Harper had come to know, Hadama's calm stoicism hid a heart of good humor and gentle mischief. And, yes, there was a certain amount of satisfaction in upending assumptions about just how straight-laced and boring their joint rule had been predicted to be. There was no reason they couldn't trade off on more serious improvements to Torchline's infrastructure and protection and those that were more fun and aimed at boosting their people's morale!

Again Harper's logical reasoning matched and expanded on Hadama's intuition, and the mermanta nodded in satisfaction. "Here, then," he agreed, tapping a place a little ways inland from the docks and skyship port, where several canals split off - but not too near. "But we do not need to advertise it too widely," he added, a glint of amusement in his eyes and sparkling through the bond like sunlight off water. "I would prefer our Torchers to have the edge against tourists."

As they began to pack up and set aside the day's work, Hadama swam over to the Healing Fountain to fill a bamboo canister with the blessed water against future need before heading back to the Underwater City to spread the word about the Tumsea Shell collection.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
He has come to know it over the span of a few years now, and each time he can't resist feeding into it, resonating with that boyish mischief like they are co-conspirators. In a way now they actually are, which is what makes it all the more amusing.

Investigating the spot Hadama points out and finding it more than fitting, Harper leans back and deposits his notebook on the stone beside him with a grin. "Perfect. Now we just need to get it started with Safrin." Stretching out his shoulders a bit, he shoots a slightly relieved smile at his co-lead. "She said she was looking forward to seeing us when I returned to her recently." Which is good news in his opinion.

Following in Hadama's wake to bottle his own healing water - and to prolong their conversation a touch longer outside of formal affairs - Harper waves from the sand as the Tidebreaker departs, and only returns home when the man is no longer within sight.

- Fin!
and watch me come alive