The boys of summer
for Ronin
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
Hadama had gladly left the inspection of the port and cargo to his minister of trade... at least until Jack had resigned from the position. Until he and Harper could sort out a new council - if one would be posted at all, which was no certainty - that meant that either the port went untended, or one of them had to handle the job themselves.

And while smuggling was a time-honored tradition in Torchline and made the region's economy go 'round, there was no reason to encourage lazy or stupid smugglers. Hadama firmly believed in taking pride in one's work, and if the illegal shippers were a necessary evil then they would earn their reputation as the best in Torchline.

He and his small, hand-picked team had finished the last ship of the morning and he had sent them off for lunch when he caught sight of a familiar dark head in the passing crowd. "Ronin," he called from the comfort of the cool waters of the canal, "welcome back."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
everything has its wonders
And a warm welcome it's been indeed. Ronin has underestimated the power of the Torchline weather, especially at Longheat, and the Supernova is moving along the promenade at what is best described as a stroll. He's paused to help haul a few crates of cargo onto a ship - he can hardly say no when there are two of him, plus a nimbus - and paused again to talk shop (i.e. Safrin) with a couple of merchants who haven't seen him since he'd hidden himself away.

It's only Sugar coiled about his neck that makes the heat bearable, and as a familiar voice calls out from the depths, Ronin can't decide whether he's imagining it or not, or whether he cares. Perhaps if he takes a dip beneath the waves he'll cool off a bit? Approaching - and luckily spying Hadama before plunging into the ocean - he finds himself at the edge of the dock, shading his eyes against the sun and smiling down at the Mer.

"Long time no see," he calls to Hadama. "How have you been?"
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Longheat in Torchline was indeed no joke, though Hadama had heard from human travelers that Hak Etme was even worse. Since the mermanta did not expect to find himself in the desert outside of his darkest nightmares, however, his home region's warmth was quite enough. At least the waters were comfortable even in the middle of the season, and the deeper one went the more blessedly cool they became.

"Well," he answered the Huntsman Supernova with a solemn nod of his head but mischief dancing in his green eyes as he held a hand over them to look up at the other man. "And busy. Much has changed, but not that. What of yourself?" Had it really been Deepfrost when he'd last seen the demigod? Deepfrost, and building bridges in the Greatwood if he remembered right.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Opening his mouth to respond but finding Sugar trilling it out for him instead, Ronin waits until his companion has finished stealing the limelight before offering some words of his own. "Never does," he agrees of things being busy. "But hopefully now it's for the good of Torchline and not just to fend off some nasty war?" That, he hopes, will make all the difference.

"I've never been better," he says sunnily, and means it. Nodding towards an outcrop of a few rocks towards the end of the docks, he begins to meander towards it. "Shall we sit?" he asks - or lounge, in Hadama's case. It has to be more comfortable than squinting up at each other in the sun, he thinks.

"Remi and I are here to help set up the Hanged Man for Flora," he continues. "But it's an excuse for a holiday as well, honestly."

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama's attention was drawn to the petite dragon immediately upon her trill and he bowed his head to her. "Welcome," he greeted her. "I do not think we have met."

Turning his attention back to Ronin once he had given the companion her due he gave a satisfied nod of agreement to the demigod's hopes. "Yes. We have made a Bubblestream to connect Haulani and the Underwater City. Travel is now much faster. And we are deciding on our next project." Busy times but productive ones, and the Tidebreaker was quietly pleased at the progress his people had made and were making.

Ronin also seemed to be doing well, relaxed and happy, and Hadama was in agreement to move into the shade and find the landwalker someplace to sit while they chatted.

"I am glad you are here for yourself," the King said with a faint crinkle of a smile at the corners of his eyes, pulling himself onto a sun-warmed rock and letting his dark tail trail into the cool surf. "And here for her, too. How is she?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Ah, have you not?" Ronin smiles down at the pale reptile curled around his shoulders. "This is Sugar. She is not nearly as sweet as her name suggests, and she very much likes it that way," he explained, scritching the dragon beneath her scaly chin and moving to plop down on one of the cool rocks, enjoying the spray from the lapping waves. Content to leave them to their silly human words, Sugar uncoils herself and takes herself off for a spot of fishing.

"A Bubblestream?" the Supernova repeats, finding the name quite quaint, though he has no doubt that it's powerful. "Well, if you need a hand with any heavy lifting, maybe I can assist," he says of Torchline's next project. Safrin had invited him to make himself known, after all.

Leaning back on his hands, his smile warms further to think of Flora; once upon a time it would have been no joke to say that he'd have happily seen the girl dead. But seasons pass, and everyone (mostly) matures. "Excited," he says with a lopsided smile. "She's made quite a lot of the Hanged Man. I think she's planning on a big reopening event."

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Hello, Sugar," Hadama greeted the small, scaly predator before she took herself off. Somewhat used to the antics of Melita's companions he took no offense and instead made himself comfortable near enough to the Supernova to hold a casual conversation.

He nodded confirmation of their new superhighway (lowway?)'s name, and again at the offer of assistance. "It would be welcome," he agreed. "Since we will be asking Safrin for her blessing." As if there was any doubt about who Torchline would be calling on, with both Hadama and Harper leading it.

Though it had almost been Flora... and her disappointment at losing the vote had saddened the mermanta. "I am glad," he rumbled, relieved that she had found a new project to throw her energies into. "She has grown up into a fine young woman."

After a moment's consideration he gathered his courage and inclined his head to Ronin in respect for the demigod's position. "May I ask your advice, Ronin?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Oh? Right, of course," Ronin says with a soft smile, gazing up at the cloudless sky as if he might be able to spy Safrin's stars even now. "She did a lot for Torchline leading up to the war," he adds, before glancing back to Hadama. "It'd be an honour to help with whatever you're planning next. If I'm not in the area, just send a letter. They always reach me." He pats the small charm attached to one of his belt loops as if to clarify.

And he's right about Flora, Ronin's gaze softening as it drops towards the water, the Supernova leaning comfortably back on his hands. "Mm, no thanks to Remi or I," he agrees sadly. "I do hope to be more present in her life from here, though."

Honestly, the last thing he expects is for Hadama to be asking his advice, and the surprise in his expression isn't something he tries to hide. "Sure," he murmurs. "If you think I can help."

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Indeed," the mermanta rumbled contentedly to the mention of Safrin's many good deeds for Torchline. It was those very blessings and boons which had earned his loyalty and bound him to her service, and he had never had reason to regret it. "I will let you know." He didn't know Ronin well enough to tease the upcoming plans he and Harper were making, but there was a glint of anticipation in the Tidebreaker's expressive eyes before the topic turned to Flora.

Ronin's admission and wish for the future brought a slow nod from Hadama. He hoped that he, too, would be welcome back in his young friend's life soon, though he would give her the space she needed while the sting of her defeat went its course.

Ronin's surprise was unexpected, and Hadama turned his head again to consider the Supernova, but Ronin was willing and the mermanta took him at his word. "I have a quest from Safrin," he began by way of explanation. "She has requested something small that becomes bigger." There was a pause as he gathered his thoughts, before he focused solemnly on Ronin once more. "There is a human toy in the marketplace. A kind of crafted sponge that expands in water. Into the shape of colorful animals." He tilted his head inquiringly at the demigod. "But I do not know if she will approve. Do you have insight into her preferences?" Or another suggestion entirely, even.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Nodding, their future plans more or less cemented, Ronin lets the conversation drift as it would, like a current drawing a river towards the ocean. And so onto Safrin and quests they go, the Supernova sitting up a fraction to give the matter his full attention. "Something small that becomes bigger...?" he tilts his head, ignoring the very childish part of him that wants to shout a penis! in lieu of more serious suggestions.

The toy is a cute suggestion honestly, but Ronin does furrow his brow. "I think that might be more to Ludo's tastes," he confesses. "Perhaps a collapsible telescope, to better see her stars...?" He has seen them in use by sailors on the dock; some shrink to surprisingly dinky sizes, if his memory serves him well.

Just like a penis!

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Perhaps Hadama had considered the anatomical ramifications of Safrin's request... but given what usually happened to the items gathered for such things, he was hopefully understandably reluctant to offer one up to the goddess.

Then again, he also didn't know her as well as Ronin did. and might have wanted to avoid getting smited for sexual harassment of a local deity.

"Hmmn," he acknowledged at the mention of Ludo, inclining his head in acceptance of the Supernova's experience with the tastes of the other heralds. The mention of the telescope was met with a straightening of the mermanta's broad shoulders as he considered the suggestion. After a few moments he nodded slowly in satisfaction. 'Indeed. I would not have thought of it," he admitted. Telescopes weren't particularly useful underwater, even before the issues with rust were considered. "Could you help me acquire one?" The human would theoretically be a better judge of quality in such things.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Smiling to hear his recommendation has made a splash with Hadama (see what he did there), Ronin nods to the other man. "I think getting hold of one should be easy enough. I can take a look at the marketplace now if you're happy to wait here?" he suggests, glancing back towards the port and Haulani sprawling beyond. "Or maybe I could put it somewhere safe above land for you to get when you need it? I'm not sure telescopes are all that fond of being underwater."

Unconsciously echoing Hadama's own concerns, Ronin still believes he could perhaps leave the item in one of the coves of Rae's Fingers, or even just have it behind the bar at the Hanged Man for the Tidebreaker to collect when he's ready. "Either way, let me know and I'll see what I can do."

Coding base by Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama did not perceive the pun, but he was appreciative of the demigod's insight nonetheless. "I am, thank you," the Tidebreaker agreed easily to Ronin's suggestion. If he remained behind it would let the human move faster through the market crowds, and go to those parts of the market that were out of reach of the Mer - such as on the floating islands above them.

But before the plan could be put into motion there was another question to consider and the mermanta tilted his head in thought. "Hmm." There were few places both secure and dry that were also within convenient reach of the water. The Fingers were one such place, but Hadama's familiarity with their convolutions was limited. "...If you can also buy a waterproof map case to put it in," he decided slowly. "Here." He worked free the large silvery bracelet on one wrist, inlaid in mother-of-peal and obsidian. From his finger he pulled a golden ring formed by three dolphins leaping nose-to-tail. "This should be enough." And potentially more than enough, depending on Ronin's haggling skills. "And my thanks."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Nodding to hear that Hadama is content to wait, Ronin is already getting himself to his feet, smiling at the Mer's suggestion. "I think I can just about manage that," he says, about to set off when the Tidebreaker is offering trade for the items he's going to purchase. Almost wanting to tell him not to, it's with a second thought that Ronin does accept the jewellery, though he's intent on bringing back a lot of change.

"It's the least I can do, given that it's on Safrin's orders," he says with a cheeky wink, before heading off into the thick of the crowds. Given the heat of the day it's actually a lot less busy than Ronin had expected - not that he's remotely complaining - and the Supernova will be gone for just over half an hour, in truth. He might not know his way around the floating portions of Torchline, but with a nimbus and a duplicate, he's able to cover ground better than most.

Speaking of the nimbus, it's on said cloud that he drifts back down to the outcrop of rock, a collapsible spyglass in a waterproof case on his lap, Hadama's dolphin ring to return, and two cups of shaved ice and syrup (that's on him). "I forgot how much I enjoyed shopping," he admits with a broad grin.

Coding base by Sky!