rise up, rise up
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
K O A
and they will shake their heads
and wag their bony fingers
"You gotta just do it, Pip."

Koa stands at the edge of the Falling, wind artfully tousling his thick black hair. He's barefoot, wearing loose green joggers with a floral button-down, and the evening sun has cast a rosy glow upon his sandy skin. Below him a sea of clouds and cliff and floating stone create a backdrop of fantasy and beauty unrivaled anywhere in Caido.

It would be an incredibly artful and serene tableaux, if not for the dragon wrapped fiercely around his outstretched arm, squawking righteous indignation to any who'd care to hear.

It's been like this for weeks, now. Ever since Pip hatched at the beginning of Flowerbirth she's stoutly refused to fly. At first Koa figured it was due to youth: her wings were small, her bones were weak, she'd figure it out in time. But time passed, and the dragonling remained perfectly content to ride on Koa's shoulders like a living feather boa, or to nestle in his backpack like a rock, or to otherwise generally use the Dragoon as a personal travel device, and frankly, enough was enough.

So, flying lessons. It started with some basics, which Pip was fully disinterested in. Then birdwatching, but Pip seemed more intent on hunting the poor beasts when they landed. So now Koa has resorted to this: holding the dragon over large spaces, hoping primal instinct will take over and the little monster will become one with the air. So far, all attempts have ended with gouged arms and a triumphantly sequestered lizard, but hey, ninth time's a charm.

"C'mon," Koa half-moans, shaking his arm in an attempt to dislodge Pipsqueak that only has the dragon digging in harder. He's got a leather bracer on this time, which is good, because the needle-sharp claws are already threatening to shred it apart as Pipsqueak shrieks her protest. But Koa only grits his teeth, determined to win this battle of wills. "Pip. You're a dragon. Just let go and fly."
in all the wrong directions—
and by daybreak we'll be gone
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
Sohalia had seen a lot of strange things during her travels, but she had to admit that watching a dragon cling to a human's arm as he held it out over the Falling was a new one.

She'd come down for a bit of a break from the city above, looking for some peace and quiet where she could comfortably sketch without company. It was strange for the young woman to seek the solace of solitude, where she once would have been content to be in the middle of the life of the city, making new friends and bonding with old ones. But that was before she'd been attacked as she walked home from dinner, and now she found herself jumpy and tense as she traversed the city streets. It was easier to linger in the less populated areas - at least until she managed to calm her taught nerves.

What she hadn't expected was to find a man holding a young dragon out over the expanse of sky, trying to convince it to fly. While part of her wanted to laugh at the sight, she mostly just felt sorry for the poor creature, which was clearly trying its hardest not to fall.

So despite her nerves and her tension and her overall desire to just leave it alone, she walked toward the man with her head held high, and there was only a slight quaver to her voice when she said, "What in Caido are you doing to that dragon?"
these aching memories still dance around me
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
K O A
"I- Mort!" Startled mid-shake Koa stumbles and takes a step forward as he tries to catch his balance. It's a good thing he isn't closer to the edge, else it may have been the both of them taking an impromptu flying lesson, and then where would they be?

But no, instead of falling to his doom Koa spins around, surprise on his expressive face as he takes in the blonde. The very, very pretty blonde, our insightful hero is quick to notice, even as he instinctively hides his arm - and Pip - behind his back. "I- which- what dragon?" Koa questions lamely, trying to affect an expression and posture of innocent nonchalance.

The whole thing is ruined by said dragon, of course, as Pipsqueak claws her way up Koa's shoulder, squawking indignation.  "Oh... Pip? Pip's not a dragon," he's quick to explain, grinning abashededly and then wincing as the beast uses his ear as a step to climb onto his head. "She's a rare fluffy catsnake who refuses to fly."

Said catsnake chooses this moment to burp a puff of smoke.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
Whatever her intentions, she hadn't meant to startle the stranger quite that badly, and she immediately stepped forward, hands outstretched, to try to grab some part of him to keep him from falling. Fortunately, he managed to keep his balance, and Soh lowered her arms with relief. "Sorry," she said, looking a bit guilty, not managing to keep a hold on the stern look she'd worn only moments before. She tucked her hands away behind her back, watching with amusement as the stranger tried to hide the dragon behind his back.

The catsnake dragon clawed its way up, though, climbing onto the man's head and burping a puff of smoke, which, along with the description of her as a fluffy catsnake, elicited a charmed laugh from Soh. "Refuses to fly, huh?" she asked, tilting her head to one side. She'd never encountered a young dragon, so she knew little of their abilities or desires to fly or not fly, but she thought that maybe she could help. After all, she could fly. Maybe she could teach Pip. "Would a demonstration help?" she asked Pip, momentarily ignoring the dragon's human.

Then she turned back to the stranger. "I'm Soh, by the way. Does Pip like jerky?" she asked, reaching into her pocket for the treats that she kept there in case she ran into her friends and their companions. Boreal, in particular, seemed to like the dried meat, and she was a dragon, too.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
Oh no, even her laugh is pretty. Koa swallows, grateful for Pip and the fact that she's covering his ears with her claws. No way to tell what's a blush and what's a wound when everything is red.

"Yup. Thinks her wings are just for decoration, I reckon." Koa reaches for the dragon despite her protests,  prying her stubbornly from his scalp. She grumbles as she settles in his arms, before fixing her bright blue gaze on Sohalia. Koa's looking at her, too, his expression curious at her offer: "A demonstration?" he repeats, raising an eyebrow above his crooked grin. "Do you have a little monster of your own, then?"

She gives her name and he's about to give his own, but then there are snacks and all havoc breaks loose. Before Koa has a chance to answer Pipsqueak has yeeted herself from his arms, landing sprawled on the ground. She rights herself immediately and makes a beeline towards the jerky, short legs carrying her with surprising speed. She'll attempt to climb up Sohalia if the food isn't lowered,  despite Koa's dismayed cry of "Pipsqueak, no!" and attempts to recapture the catsnake before damage can be done.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
At the description of Pip as a little monster, Soh laughed again, finding herself surprisingly at ease with the young man and his dragon. Perhaps it was the presence of a companion that helped her to relax; in her experience, only good people had them. "I'm Attuned," explained Soh. "I have a bird shift, so I could show her how to fly, if you think it would help." At least, she could try, assuming that the mechanics of flight were more or less the same for birds and dragons. Which, now that she thought about it, they might not be. They were very differently shaped creatures, after all.

In any case, all thoughts of flying were rapidly replaced with a yelp of surprise as Pip charged at her, attention entirely fixed on the treats now held in Soh's hand. The young woman hurriedly knelt, offering the jerky in her flattened palm, a little nervous that the dragon might accidentally grab her fingers instead of the treat.

Of course, kneeling put her in much closer proximity to the stranger than she had originally intended as he lunged for the dragon, and Soh rocked back on her heels to avoid a collision. Unfortunately, she rocked back a little too far, toppling rather ungracefully onto her rump, skirts tangled in disarray around her legs. Looking at the dragon, the man, and her now-empty hand, Soh burst into a fit of laughter unlike anything she'd felt in recent weeks.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
"Oh? Oh!" Koa exclaims at her revelation, interest sparkling in his eyes. "Oh, wow, thats... sorry, we didn't have many Attuned in Stormbreak when I was growing up. I've always been fascinated by them- you," he corrects quickly, flashing an apologetic smile. "Being able to fly... gods. I can't imagine. Must be great." There's a boyish wistfulness in his voice, a yearning for something he can never have.

Something Pip could have, if she'd just try.

Speaking of Pip, the dragonling is able to restrain herself from tearing Sohalia's fingers off, but only just. The jerky is snatched out of her hands by grubby little claws, and the enthusiastic beastie scurries off with her prize like a proper gremlin, retreating to some corner to feast in peace.

And Koa doesn't stop her, because Sohalia is sprawling and he's distracted trying (and failing) to catch him. She lands on her back and he lands on his hands and knees beside her, rolling to sprawl onto his side. A brief moment of panic swims through his eye but then - miracle! - she bursts out laughing, and Koa can't help it. He starts to laugh too, enchanted by her contagious mirth, laughs until he's breathless and flush with delight.

Eventually he manages to catch his breath and rise back to his feet. "Hey- I'm Koa by the way," he says over his smile, offering a hand to help her stand. And then because, fuck it, you only live once: "Can I buy you a drink, Miss Soh?"
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
The young man was charming, and Soh giggled as he rambled about her being Attuned. "It is pretty wonderful, being able to fly," she admitted, unbothered by his fumbling. She didn't mean to brag, but it was amazing, feeling the wind beneath her wings and the sun in her feathers. She wondered if she would ever have a shift like Sunjata - if she had a pegasus or a dragon shift, she could offer her new friend a ride. Of course, he could ask the gods to become Attuned, if he ever wanted to fly badly enough. But that was none of her business.

As Pip retreated with her prize and Soh fell to the ground, her new friend sprawled beside her. His momentary look of panic only served to make Soh laugh harder, and for a moment, it's the funniest thing in the world, sitting on the ground, giggling hysterically, with a perfect stranger. She didn't even know his name.

When they finally came up for air, Soh took the proffered hand and rose to her feet, blushing a little at the contact, and then a little more at the offer of a drink. "I think I'd like that," she said shyly, before realizing that she'd kept his hand perhaps a little longer than necessary and dropping it in favor of clasping her hands before her. "And please, just Soh. No 'miss' required," she added with a wink.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
He doesn't notice he's still holding her hand until he's not, the chill of its absence felt acutely as a tingling in his palm. He doesn't really have time to dwell on that, though, because against all odds she's accepted his invitation, and damn if that isn't an unexpected win. Koa's smile grows wider, warmth filling his cheeks; "Soh it is," he agrees, returning her wink. "Let me just gather up the flightless wonder. Pip!"

A chattering growl answers his call, two gleaming eyes peering out from beneath a nearby rock. Koa signs resignedly; this is an old game by now. He flashes Soh a rueful glance and a shrug that says play along?, then places his hands on his hips.

"Now where could that monster be?" Koa wonders loudly, in a voice overwrought with bemusement. A chortling hiss emerges from the rock. Turning back to Soh, Koa raises an eyebrow. "Sorry," he whispers, and then: "Say, have you seen my friend Pipsqueak? About yea long, winged, looks like a feather boa smeared with ink?"
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
As Koa looked for his dragon, Soh took the moment to look him over from beneath her lashes. She'd already noticed that his eyes were a unique shade of copper, but now that she had the chance to look at the rest of him, she found that she rather liked what she saw. Her gaze shifted from him to his dragon, hoping that she hadn't been staring for too long, to find Pipsqueak hiding beneath a nearby rock. Fighting a grin, she bit her lip, trying not to burst out laughing again.

For a brief, brief moment, she considered pulling out another treat, but given how that had ended the first time, she thought the better of it rather quickly.

"Oh, dear," she said, putting a hand to her lips in mock concern. "I've no idea where she might be!" She turned to look around herself, spinning in a slow circle, unintentionally sending her skirts swirling about her ankles in a rather flattering way. "No, I can't say I've seen her. Wherever could she be?" Soh ducked, pretending to look around Koa's legs. "Not over there," she said, then rose and looked up. "Not there, either." After a moment, Soh propped her hands on her hips. "I guess we'll just have to leave without her."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
Don't worry, Sohalia, you're not the only one sneaking a peek. Koa couldn't keep from looking if he wanted to, especially as she spins about, giving him a thorough view. Aside from the delicate features and flattering clothes there's a vibrancy to her that catches him off guard every time their eyes meet, making him swallow and glance quickly away. It's a strange thing for the young Dragoon, usually so cocky and sure-footed. Maybe it's a sign of something deeper, something real springing between them.

Maybe he's just young and horny. Who's to say?

"Aw well." Snapping his fingers with rueful finality at Sohalia's declaration, Koa shakes his head. "Guess so. She's too good a hider for us. It's a long walk home, though; if only she could fly...."

At this the dragonling does emerge, squawking and chirping indignantly as she bee-lines back to Koa. He scoops her up before she can claw his pants too badly, draping over his shoulder like a scarf with an affectionate declaration of "Lazy little beast."

His charge dealt with the soldier is at last free to turn his attention fully to Sohalia. "Where to?" he asks her, copper eyes glowing as they catch the light of the falling sun. "I know a couple places, but if you have anything in mind..." He's not sure if he should offer his arm or take her hand and so he does neither, instead opting to fall into step beside her, eyes flicking over every few seconds to catch a glimpse of her face.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia was most certainly not the type to be just young and horny; she was all true love and romance, baby. So it was that she wondered about the strange, fluttery feeling in her stomach as she peeked back towards Koa. She'd been so caught up in her explorations that she'd never really stopped to consider just... going for a drink. She was always doing things. It occurred to her, suddenly, that she wasn't really sure how to do whatever this was, and her mouth went a little dry at the prospect. What was she supposed to say, when she actually wanted to be cute and charming?

But as Pip emerged from beneath her rock to clamber up onto Koa's shoulder, Soh smothered another giggle and shot a sweet smile towards her new friend and his companion. Seeing others with their companions always made her wonder what it was like, having a creature to be with you always. Especially when they were as cute and fluffy as Pip!

Then Koa asked her where to, and a sudden nervousness flashed across her face before she replaced it with a carefully thoughtful expression. "Oh! Um," she said, feeling a little flustered. Please not the Silk Houses, she thought to herself. Aloud, she said, "Where are the places you know?" Anywhere but the Silk Houses. "I don't normally go out for drinks, so I'm not sure where is popular," she admitted. Lest he think her inexperienced (which she was) or boring (which she was not, thankyouverymuch), she hastened to add, "I travel a lot." As though that explained everything. Way to crash and burn, Soh.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
K O A
Koa does not catch her nervous look, and has no reason to suspect that the Silk Houses are a taboo. And so of course he puts his foot in his mouth with: "Well, there's lots of places in the Silk Houses..." he begins thoughtfully, mentally cataloguing the options and wondering what would be sufficient. He needs somewhere good, somewhere perfect, because fuck if he's gonna mess this up.

And whether because he sees her expression or from some other intuition, Koa seems to change his mind. His expression brightens as the thought strikes, smile blooming again. "But personally one of my favorites is actually around here. Not as fun as somewhere like the Hart, but it has great views."

Not to worry, Sohalia, Koa certainly does not think you're boring. Indeed, his expression brightens even further as she informs him that she travels, copper eyes fixing her with a genuinely impressed look. "Oh, wow, that's awesome. What's your favorite place you've been to?" Because Koa has not traveled much, at all. Honestly if either of them is boring here, it's him.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
And of course, where should Koa suggest other than the Silk Houses?

Soh's steps stuttered for a moment before she managed to keep walking like a normal person, her face suddenly pale in the evening light. Memories of her encounter bubbled to the forefront of her mind, and for a moment, she shuddered, seeing the man she'd almost killed materialize in front of her like a ghost. But then, mercifully, Koa changed his mind, suggesting a place close by. So it was with a look of pure relief that Soh said, "That sounds great." And if her voice was a little higher pitched than necessary as she came back to reality, well, all she could do was hope Koa didn't notice. She'd hate to put a damper on an otherwise lovely meeting.

As Koa enthused about her travels, she offered a (somewhat relieved) smile. "Oh, goodness, it's hard to choose!" she said, laughing a little in a way that she hoped sounded natural. There's no danger here, she scolded herself silently. Just relax. Out loud, she continued, "I think my favorite so far has to be the Oerwoud. It's probably not the best to visit right now - I imagine it'd be horribly humid - but it's got some beautiful plant and animal life." And the Ceffyl Dwr, but we won't talk about that.