i keep on running toward the fire
George Shepherd
Thief

Age: 31 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

And if you feel like night is falling
I wanna be the one you're calling
George was not a particularly vain man, but gods above, it had never taken him so long to get ready for a date. Not, of course, that he went on many dates. In fact, it had been quite some time, which made it perhaps all the more nerve-wracking. Add to that the fact that El was still staying at his place, until they could find somewhere else to go, and that George most certainly did not want to entertain questions as to his general anxiety about his evening plans, and that he couldnotgethishairtolayright -

It was like being a teenager all over again. He couldn't say he cared for it.

He showed up at Hotaru's door at 6:30 sharp (after having loitered outside for about fifteen minutes, trying to decide if it was too early to collect her) and took a deep breath before rapping on the wood. He wore a buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbows and a pair of comfortable jeans; he was going for a casual-but-put-together look, and he hoped it was working. Regardless, he supposed he shouldn't have been so worried about what she wore. After all, his date had already seen him naked.

He carried a closed basket on one arm, its contents mystery to all but him. He'd thought about setting things up beforehand, but he was a thief, and there were too many like him to consider leaving his carefully laid plans in the hands of others. Instead, he carried their date with him, hoping that curiosity would work in his favor and that Hotaru would be suitably intrigued.
'Cause I believe that you could lead the way
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Hotaru

While her morning with Sunjata had gone exactly the opposite of what she had both planned and anticipated, the hours between had allowed her time to sit in her room and come to terms with everything prior to the date she had planned with George. It's a bit of a race against the clock to get her head on straight, but she owes it to herself to ensure it happens. Proclamations, revelations, and other such impactful moments aside, her attempt at living life again cannot be put on pause in favor of attending to the crisis in her head.

Ironically she worries more about the night to come than how she looks. Hotaru may have confidence fit to beat Safrin most days, but that confidence lies in her abilities and her presence, not the heart that lies like a shrinking violet behind it all. A date - while a formality she has never indulged in before - can only truly succeed if she is herself. While she has been surprisingly transparent with her personality in regards to George, there is so much more that hides away. History, secrets, baggage. Not that any of it need come out on the first date but future ones would imply that someday those stories will be shared.

She has to shake herself out of it repeatedly, reminding herself she is getting far too ahead of the curve. Who was to say that their night together would even warrant a repeat performance?

The knock on the door brings her back to herself, and she leaves the balcony where she had been staring out at the waves to calm her fluttering heart to answer the door. She is perhaps a bit more over-dressed than him, but at least she is in a style of dress more akin to a sundress than an evening gown. Something that could get sandy as per her request. Though now that her eyes are drinking him in, she cares less about his style and more about how well he wears it. He looks both handsome and relaxed (though little does she know) and in turn her own mind goes a bit blank as her pulse quickens in her throat.

Emerging from her room with a comely smile, she locks the door behind her and steps easily into his space, slipping her finger through his belt loop to pull him into a chaste kiss. "Right on time. What do you have there?" Curiosity kills the cat, and Ru is a big one, which means her attention is immediately piqued by the basket in his arms. "Or is it a surprise?"
Now you can quit, you can cave in
but just know you're not beyond saving
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
George Shepherd
Thief

Age: 31 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

The moments between his knock and the door opening made George's heart quicken with anticipation. Nervous though he may have been, he'd been looking forward to this all day - a welcome interruption in an otherwise mundane existence - and he desperately hoped to Frey that it would all go as planned. In the moments before the door opened, he was suddenly struck with the worry that she might not like his plan, but it was far too late to back out now, and as the door swung to reveal Hotaru, all coherent thought momentarily went out the window anyway.

She was stunning, and her greeting was everything he could have asked for. He lingered on her kiss, and for a moment he was half tempted to just leave the basket and ask her to stay in - but that wasn't really what he wanted. Well, it was, but it certainly wasn't the onlything he wanted. "You look beautiful," he said, not because it was an expected thing to say to someone you take on a date, but because it was true. His hazel eyes drank her in, looking her up in down not with lust, but with admiration.

Then her attention shifted to the basket, and he felt like he could breathe again. "What, this old thing?" he joked, lifting it slightly. "You'll have to wait and see." He offered his free arm to her before leading the way casually down the hall. "I hope you don't mind a little bit of a walk. I thought we could go see the Miana Pool. Have you ever been?"
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

Compliments, at least, are familiar territory. Though she can’t recall the last time someone scarcely blinked as they called her beautiful. Normally prone to hearing something more crass or an ill-conceived pickup line. Luckily not only has George been perfectly charismatic so far, but his tone alone makes her cheeks go a touch pink. She’s vain enough to know she’s beautiful, but realistically she is wearing a flattering but billowy cotton dress that brings out the tan of her skin, hair loose down her back aside from two small twists at her temple that pull back to form a crown around her head, light makeup and her beloved perfume. Simple really, and yet his reaction makes it feel momentous. “You look rather handsome yourself,” she murmurs in the sparse space between them, torn between staring at his eyes or his mouth, her own tingling with the far too brief reminder of their kiss.

He takes the choice from her, energy returning and sweeping her off down the hallway on his arm within moments. Pouting slightly at having been deterred, she falls into step at his side and perks up at the first hint she is given. “Not at all, the evenings are so warm here.” Between magic and a lifetime living in the snow the cold scarcely touched her anymore, but she’ll never stop marveling at the late hour the sun descends or the warmth that scarcely dissipates by time morning comes around. “A few times, but only briefly, and not recently.” Which really means she’ll enjoy exploring it anew after so long.

“So when do the ‘get to know me’ questions start, before or after food? I haven’t done this in a very long time,” she admits, making light of the admission by focusing the humor on the first half despite how much the second reveals all in one go. Almost like she’s starting them off by being the first to pluck a piece of armor off her chest.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
George Shepherd
Thief

Change author:

George was, perhaps, not as self-aware as Hotaru. He'd never really thought of himself as particularly handsome; he'd always prided himself on skill over looks. When she complimented him, it took him a little by surprise, especially given that nothing about him could compare to her radiance, but it warmed him all the same, and he steals another quick kiss from her as thanks.

That she hasn't been to the Miana Pool often or recently helps him to relax. His plan for the evening relied on a certain sense of novelty, and though he was rather hoping that this would be her first time there, he hoped that she knew little of the legends surrounding the place. In truth, it had been some time since he himself had been - he stayed busy elsewhere in Torchline and, rarely, outside of the region. Although knowing Hotaru would certainly give him a reason to head north.

Hopefully. Assuming all went well.

He laughed outright at her brisk admission, turning his head to grin down at her. "Nor have I," he admitted, if only to keep her from thinking he was laughing at her. He almost suggested a game of truth or dare, just to make things interesting, before realizing that they might get caught in a game of dares. And while that sounded appealing in its own way, it wasn't exactly what he had in mind for a romantic evening out on the beach.

"Why don't you start?" he said jovially, as though completely comfortable and not nervous at all about answering potentially personal questions about himself. "Ask me anything, and I'll give you an answer." It was a rather broad invitation, but as they say, go big or go home, right?
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Legends? Hotaru is certainly unaware of them. Most of her exploration in Torchline - and any region really - has always been for the sake of hunting, patrolling, or establishing a network of information. Nothing so storybook as legends and myths.

It's admittedly surprising when he admits the same, and Ru doesn't try to hide it as she looks up at him, brows raised and expression disbelieving. "Pardon my doubt but doubt I must," she insists through half a laugh. "Especially if you've already met Flora." Though her daughter is much like she was at that age, not the type for chaste kisses and flowery dates. She's beginning to realize that George is, despite all his suave charm and roguish flirtations. Maybe he's more like her than she had first suspected.

Though he is brave, offering her the first question as if she won't take full advantage of the opportunity. This time the watercolor cut of her eyes are sharp and clear as they size him up, having been waiting to catch him out after one too many ill-concealed hints. "What do you really do for work?"
George Shepherd
Thief

Change author:

She may not have believed him, but it was the truth; his last relationship didn't exactly end smoothly, and he'd been reluctant to try again. Betrayal was a dark thing, a sharp knife between the ribs. It's not something that you want to repeat.

He'd tried a fling or two, but he always felt worse the morning after, chasing something that he knew he couldn't find in a one night stand. There was just something missing, something wholesome and pure. Perhaps it was that the rest of his life was shrouded in darkness, lies, intrigue - but he preferred something a little more innocent in love. As Hotaru described it, chaste kisses and flowery dates. Ironic, given the flower that he had hidden away in the basket just for her.

He snorted at the mention of Flora. Oh, sure, she was a shameless flirt, but he hadn't thought for a second that she was truly interested in him. Not the way he wanted to be interested in someone else, anyway. "Flora is lovely, but..." He wasn't sure how to say what he wanted to say without potentially offending Hotaru. To say that she was just interested in him for what he could do for her made it sound like he wanted her affection, and that was not the impression he wanted to give. Besides, he wasn't sure how much Hotaru knew about the back room of the Hanged Man, but he certainly wasn't going to be the one to give away any secrets. To say that she wasn't his type implied that Hotaru wasn't either, given the similarities between the two. In the end, he settled for, "I'm not interested in anything more than friendship." With her, went unsaid. That would have to do.

Her query was expected, but he had to admit that he wasn't entirely prepared for it. Still, he'd promised her answers, and answers he would give. "I'm a thief," he said nonchalantly, eyes flickering to their surroundings to be sure he wouldn't be overhead. Then his hazel eyes found hers again, dancing with mischief. "But you already knew that," he guessed. She was clever; if Flora could read between the lines, he had no doubt that her mother could do the same.
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

His hesitation is warranted, for while Hotaru was content in stealing him away from her daughter's clutches, she would not abide anything remotely insinuating Flora wasn't worth the best either. Perhaps it made the conversation into a bit of a test, but he manages to pass with flying colors, and the maternal beast purrs contentedly and lets him live another day.

Besides, his admission is far more interesting, and though her smile turns pleased there is a distinct lack of judgment to be found in her face. "I did. Like recognizes like." Which is a fanciful way of saying she has walked that path for many years herself. "Though I teach magic at the Arcane Academy in Halo these days, most of my life I was a professional thief in my home world. Everyone loves to use the facade of being a curator." She aims her smirk at him, plainly teasing him for the lie he had decided to use. "Your turn now. What question would you like answered first?"
George Shepherd
Thief

Change author:

If it was a test, it seemed that he'd passed, and he found himself relaxing without even realizing he'd tensed. The last thing he wished to do was offend, but he wanted to make it clear that Hotaru was the one he was interested in. It wasn't even a competition. Sorry, Flora.

His admission, though, left something nervous and fluttery in his gut as he waited for her reaction. It wouldn't be the first time he'd been passed over for someone with a more... upstanding reputation. But much to his surprise and delight, there was no sign of judgment in her face, only a distinctly pleased look, like a cat who'd gotten into the milk. He grinned down at her, relieved and intrigued in equal measure. "My ma always said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it," he drawled in response to her teasing. He may not be the most original thief, but his facade had surely worked on those less attuned to their line of work.

To hear that Hotaru had been a thief, though, had him raising his eyebrows. That was a story he wanted to hear. For now, though, as they meandered out of the city and towards the Miana Pool in the light of the slowly sinking sun, he decided to start with something easier. "What kind of magic do you have?"
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

A good relationship with his mother? It seems cliche, but it raises her esteem of him immediately. Caido is a breeding ground for orphans and children who grow up too fast and never come home. That doesn't mean his story isn't the same, but the fond, humorous way he says it makes her ever more curious - and certain of her first impression.

Hotaru doesn't think he will use his first question to ask about her magic. It is so inherent to her that she often forgets how few Abandoned there are these days, and just as few supporters of those open and transparent with their abilities. Perhaps that is why he is so intrigued.

Shameless in her lack of humility here, Ru rolls her eyes to the sky and blows out a breath between her lips. "Gods, so many now. Let's see." Lifting the hand not holding onto his arm, she holds her palm so that he can see each element whisk between her fingers. "Lightning, fire, and air." Sparks dance first, then a whisp of flame that grows larger and then extinguishes in a puff of air. "Creation." Little metal rings pop into existence on her palm, and she pockets them gracefully. "Healing." Through his arm he will feel the wash of that magic coming over him, rejuvenating any lingering hangover or soreness from the previous few nights of his life. "And compulsion." This is the one she hides from most everyone. With her hand on his body as she needs it to be, she watches his face as she commands, "Kiss my cheek."
George Shepherd
Thief

Change author:

There was a healthy curiosity about magic that perhaps partially fueled the question, but mostly it was a desire to get to know her better - to get to know all of her. Her magic was a part of her, as integral to her being as breathing. He wasn't one to judge; magic, in his eyes, was simply a tool to be used. It wasn't the magic that tended to cause problems - it was the individual wielding it. And that could be true of something as simple as his daggers, not just magic.

As she listed off a wide variety of magics, showcasing them between her fingers, his eyebrows raised. It was impressive, the number of elements and schools of magic she had mastery over. It was no small thing, to develop a skill or a craft, and her clear commitment to her magic was a testament to her dedication.

He felt the warmth of her healing magic, and though he hadn't been feeling particularly bad, he felt more fresh, more alive, when she let the magic go. Her compulsion magic, though, he was entirely unprepared for, even with her warning. As she spoke - kiss my cheek - he was overwhelmed with the desire to do just that. Obediently, he bent to place a chaste kiss on her cheek before straightening. He wondered how that worked, exactly - how did he know, for example, that this date wasn't just a compulsion that she'd imposed upon him? But he remembered the raw vulnerability of the night before, and he decided that it was simply a matter of trust. Either he trusted her or he didn't, and if he didn't, there was no point in taking things any further.

"Impressive," he rumbled. "You're a woman of many talents." Dangerous, perhaps, but all the more intriguing for it. Then, with a grin: "Your turn."
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

He would not be the first to be wary of her compulsion magic, nor the first to misunderstand its limits. With so few Abandoned in Caido these days, magic education has been severely lacking. She wouldn't hold it against him if he were to express his concerns, and is admittedly surprised when he does not. Though the jaded part of her narrows its eyes, insistent that he's merely hiding it or delaying his rejection of her.

Taking the compliment gracefully with a small smile, she readjusts her grip on his elbow and considers her own question - though it doesn't take long given his response to her previous question. "So, your mother. Are you still close with her?" If she was still around, which Hotaru tries to artfully imply with a question focused on their relationship instead of her existence.
George Shepherd
Thief

Change author:

Wary? Sure, but anyone could be dangerous with the right tools. He was dangerous, when he needed to be. But danger had never stopped him before, and it wasn't about to now. Besides, everyone had their limits. He might not know Hotaru's, but she couldn't be all-powerful.

"I am," he said as they strolled along, enjoying the evening breeze blowing across the water. They were nearly to the Miana Pool now, and he was eager to get the main part of their date started. "It was just me and her, growing up - my father was a one-night stand gone wrong. He disappeared, never looked back." Perhaps that was why George was so wary of casual sex himself. He paused, unsure just how much to divulge. His was a sad story of growing up poor and being forced into thievery to survive, and he didn't want to bring the vibe down - especially not when he was successful in his work now, and happy to do it.

"Anyway, I see her often. She can't get around as easily these days, so I try to bring her groceries and whatnot. Most of them, I even buy," he added with a playful wink. "What about you? I know Flora, but do you have other family?" Like, perhaps, a secret husband who might wish to strangle him?
George
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

A one-night stand gone wrong? Well hell, Hotaru could relate to that, and her esteem for this woman she has never known in her life immediately rises. At least Remi had been involved in the lives of his children (a little). Hotaru has had worse experiences, and though having children in Helovia was far more common, those wounds have always stuck with her.

The offer slips out before she can think to stop it. "If my magic can help her in the least, I'd be happy to visit every once in a while." Medics and clinics in Torchline were fantastic, but magical healers were a rare breed. Then again they did have the Fountain, but Hotaru isn't sure on the specifics of it - did the waters continue to hold their power when removed from its basin, or would his mother have to walk all the way there to utilize it? Either way, he can turn her down if need be.

It's easier to answer him when she isn't looking into his eyes, so she stares out at the path ahead of them and struggles in the same way over what to say. "I'm an Outlander. I lost my children when our world was destroyed; one of them was brought here by The Voice before me, but he -" her throat clicks as she swallows hard, hand trembling slightly against his elbow. They are the only signs of her cracking composure. It wouldn't hurt quite so badly if the memories of the lamplighter and Talyson's quiet questions weren't so recent. "The LongNight monsters killed him not long before I arrived." Inhaling shakily - easier to hide with how quiet her breaths are - Ru's wry smile is a little tremulous but at least she can meet his eyes this time. "Flora is a twin." Is, because Enzo's death would never erase that. "She and her brother were a one night stand go wrong as well. Enzo - her brother - was killed during the war." For what it's worth, the closure Mort had given her makes it a little easier to talk about him.

Shaking her head slightly, she clears her throat. "The only other family I have is Deimos. He's one of Halo's Wardens, most people have heard of him though usually known as the Resurrected Sword." Safrin's champion and a hero of the war, his name often reaches people before he has ever met them. "He is like my brother. I have known him most of my life." As precious to her as a person could be.

Realizing she has been talking for a while - about quite sensitive topics too - Hotaru tries to think of her own question to get the spotlight off of herself. Normally she revels in the attention, but this kind? Vulnerable, painful? She can only handle so much of it at once. "Do you have children? Or have you ever wanted them?" Two questions technically but Ru doesn't care. He has shown no qualms with Flora's existence, but it would be good to know if it would ever become a future problem.