View through the bars

Age: 209 | Height: 5"9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship:
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 12 - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
To go on is to go through. At last, even the seer is cremated.
Each seed loves the dark for the light it promises.

I observe.

The world beyond the barrier is perhaps as I always would have expected it to be, were it the case I gave it much thought. It is lush and vibrant and full of the zeal and zest of life that is simply not present within. Still, I thought to see through the bars of this cage that we have been placed in would somehow be... more. That must be the last remnants of my humanity speaking though, for what is the mere optical experience of the world outside meant to do?

In a word? Nothing.

Or ... everything?

I do not know. And so I stand, and I look. I see past the veil that stops everyone else and I wonder.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Heill, stranger. Something on the... Are asked, stopping just short of a full sentence. Jaw left dangling as he had never seen the barrier this close before. Another fruitless round of snares and traps had pushed him to new grounds. Grounds he knew better than to tread, but caution was all but thrown to the wind. Searching for a feeling, anything beyond the slowly sinking pit of despair and powerlessness.

Even though that sinking feeling had him by the ankles, the jovial tone of his voice did not skip one beat."Anything on the horizon?" he finally managed to finish his sentence, for a moment lost to a feeling of light pressure. As if his temples where being pushed by soft hands.

Change author:

I take it from context the word Heill is meant as a greeting. Outlander then. Not that it matters, but still I file the information away.

"There is always something on the horizon." I reply, my voice monotone as it normally is. I do break my stare away from the emerald forest beyond the barrier to give Are a quick glance, before returning to look at the leaves that have never here grown so green. "I take it what you are actually saying is something mundane. A commentary on the fact that our view of the barrier normally remains the same. If this is correct, then you are incorrect this time. I can now see through the barrier, and there is much on the horizon."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
A moment passed, a few breaths and eyes blinking as if trying to adjust to the morning sun. Another moment, words finally piercing through the sound of blood rushing and the quickening pace of his heart. "I..." was all Are managed to say. A final moment, thoughts firing up like roaring flames of the kiln and he was back in the world. He swallowed hard and sighed. The pressure abated, but was not yet gone, its ebb and flow seemingly random.

Surprising, as always. "That's something." he muttered, eyes widening as the realization hit with full force. "Can you see... People!?" Are blurted out but managing to stop himself short of letting his tongue outrun his mind again.

Change author:

I do not sigh - such is a very emotive response. Also, I do not breathe. Still, I am exasperated by his lack of precision. "Can I see people?" I repeat with pedantic slowness. "Of course I can. I can see you, as an example. I take it you are asking whether or not I can see people past the barrier." My eyes do a quick scan to confirm the answer I was already preparing to give.

"Not currently, no. Early though, yes. It is possible that they can see through. It certainly appeared as though they could come close to the barrier as well."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Spirits rose and soared to heights unseen since the passing. Dead, but not hopeless, not yet! Are couldn't help but to smile. Worried wrinkles gone from the corner of his eyes, replaced by barely held back tears. "She's there. She must be. Just out of reach." he said to himself and nodded. Curiously stiff, this strange person, but refreshingly to the point. A deep sigh of relief made Are tremble, a shiver as the previous depths of despair was exchanged with anticipation like nothing before. She was out there, he knew it. He was more sure of it than ever before.

"This is good, it's a sign, no? Walls weakening, crumbling, maybe even falling, soon?" he said, words coming in short bursts and barely in the right tongue.

Change author:

He mentions a woman and the timbre of his voice seems to suggest some sort of emotional connection. I care little about such things, and so I give no reaction.

"That I can see through is not an indication of a weakening. It was a gift to us by the Voice. Though it might well be the case that this new technology is a sign of things to come." He has not asked me to speculate, however, nor is that sort of activity something I find myself eager to participate in.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
No, it's a sign, it must be! he said and patted the stranger on the back, more to comfort himself than the seemingly bored person next to him. Are stared at the barrier himself, as if anything would change through sheer force of will. Even though he pretended the opposite, the strangers words plucked at his worrying streak. It could take months, years... He swallowed, somewhat crestfallen by the slow realization.

"No, you're right. It's too soon. In due time though, maybe. he muttered. "Sorry, I'm Are of... well, I'm just Are now, Are the cobbler." he said and chewed his cheek absentmindedly. Reality finally catching up with his mood and bringing him down to solid ground again.

Change author:

His touch immediately makes me bristle, and I move deftly to the side with reflexes that are inhumanly quick. "Do not do that again." I mutter, suddenly feeling the need to shiver or shudder. I realize that it is a strange reaction, but I do want to suddenly shed my skin entirely from where he has made contact with me.

I wonder if that is an upgrade I could one day achieve.

He says his name and occupation. Such a strange thing to do, really, for I have not asked.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
As if burned by the sudden movement, Are's hand snaps back, involuntarily reaching for the belt but stopping half way. It rests. Content that it wasn't more than the hasty reaction of someone... Odd. Eyes previously warm and thrilled narrowed and muscles tightened. Prepared for something Are didn't even know himself could be coming. Breathe, you oaf. The shock of the cool air hitting his teeth made them shiver, yet they remained gritted for the moment.

"Not one for pleasantries. Point taken." the cobbler muttered and cautiously removed himself half a step from the stranger. Suddenly aware of how much more palpable the pressure had become, from soft hands to forge tongs over his head.

"Forgive me. I'm not from here." he said and regained composure with a sigh. "The barrier..." Are stated, voice tentative. "The 'Voice', does it know when it falls?" he asked of things far beyond his own understanding. A drowning man grasping for any solid hold, desperate to make sense of what was happening.

Change author:

His reaction is dramatic. Anyone else might have offered a soothing word, a follow up justification. Oh no, you're alright. I just don't like to be touched. A bit jumpy, ha-ha! but I do not. Why he felt he had permission to touch me I am not sure, but I am pleased by the distance he has increased between us.

"Yes. Everyone will know." I blink, testing to see if my new vision can be turned on and off. It cannot, apparently. "When you look, instead of seeing the opaque wall, you will instead see what is beyond. That, and the Voice will be free...so yes. She will know."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Strange manners seemed to be the rule rather than the exception for people in this strange new land. Are could never seem to grasp what governed the different denizens of Hel, even though he should've by then realized there was no normal. At least nothing he'd ever call normal. To them, he was the stranger, just as this, thing, was a stranger to him. A creature he could no longer tell was actually human, an elf perhaps, taken a human shape.

Still, the curiosity burned too bright for his assumptions to douse. "What is this voice?" he asked after a long pause. Enough to gather his thoughts, but not enough to decide whether he was better of leaving this being for the moment.

Whatever answer it had for him seemed to drown in the sound of his own blood rushing through his ears. Every beat of his heart pounding in his mind and sending jabs of pressure and pain through his head. Are tried and failed to push it away, like a drunkard reminded of yesterday's poor choices he was reminded of the barriers existence. Even with closed eyes and cupped ears he could still hear the pain, still see it. Rising to red hot as he doubled over and held his breath for what seemed like an eternity. Then, as quickly as it had flowed, it ebbed yet again. Leaving behind a shaking man and a reminder of what will come shortly, lest he removed himself.

Are swallowed hard as he stood, again looking at the person(?) before him. "Sorry, the wall... Does it affect you too?"