The one with the fancy umbrella in it
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Longheat was living up to its name and the sun was high overhead when the mermanta swam beneath the cooling shade of the Hanged Man's sea-side bar. It was perhaps a bit late in the day for brunch, but that also made it more likely that the staff or new proprietess might be around, while avoiding the bustle of the evening crowd that would fill the bar later.

Hadama surfaced and used one hand to push his steely hair back to stream behind his shoulders as he looked around to see who might be available - and looking for one formidable blonde head in particular. His other hand held onto a large net that shifted beneath the water, its contents obscured in the dim lighting and shadows of the twilit building.

"Hello," he called, his deep voice difficult to mistake, though he raised it only loud enough to be heard clearly in the kitchen. "Are you open?"

Flora
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
flora

Brunch was early for someone to show up at the Hanged Man. Normally the only patrons within the tavern at this time of day were ones who'd inadvertently slept over, and were now in the process of being ushered out by Flora or one of the staff.  Today was just such an occasion such that Hadama's query was met with a bark of laughter from within. This summoned Flora who, with a broom in hand and her hair knotted messily on the top of her head, appeared looking for all intents and purposes as if she were about to beat a particularly large bug to death. Spying the mermanta, her expression softened immediately, before growing almost instantly catlike and mischievous.

"Open? Yes. But I wouldn't suggest ordering anything off the menu that's anything more than fruit." She chuckles, to which a rather ornery grunt of agreement echoes out from the kitchen. Swanning closer in an outfit that was as breezy and casual as it was perfectly flattering (wide-legged billowy trousers and a tight black tanktop), the Doubletake folds her arms comfortably across her chest. "If you're here to make sure we have all of our permits in place I can assure you we do." She quips.
The rumors are terrible and cruel
But honey, most of them are true
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
How Flora prepared for the day was probably anything but effortless, as Hadama could also attest to from his own daily routines. But the important thing was that she looked effortlessly stylish and put together. His own expression softened as she came into view, looking unexpectedly mature compared to the girl he had met before the War.

"Hmm. Does a mimosa count as a fruit?" he inquired, his usual solemnity leavened with fondness and his appreciation of her humor. He did not know if she had forgiven him yet, but it felt good to banter with his friend again.

"Indeed. The Hanged Man is in good standing." He spoke gravely, in spite of his bemusement. He hadn't been aware that Torchline even had permits. Perhaps it was something to look into? ...No, that would be taking the joke too far, he decided after a moment's consideration. "How is business? And how are you?" The latter was asked in a gentler tone and was more important than the former, but she had much to be proud of with how well-attended the bar's re-opening had been.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
flora

Not quite sure where she currently stood with the king, Flora nevertheless found herself smiling widely despite herself. "I like the way you think." She replied, before calling over her shoulder for two mimosas.

Clearing her throat slightly as the pair conversationally wandered toward The Incident, or at least that's where Flora fully intended to take them, the Doubletake shrugs. Much as she adored watching drama unfold in her bar, she did not like being the center of it. At least, not like this, and so with a rather frank stare the girl seats herself down next to the canal so as not to hover over Hadama their entire conversation.

"I've been doing great. I got everyone together, no one even fought during the tavern's re-opening, business is better than ever, and I've even started up a guild." She said breezily, still managing to sound smug. Inspecting her nails for a moment, Flora raises her eyebrows suggestively. 'Maybe it's because I've been so busy with all these things to better Torchline, but I really haven't seen Harper around...like at all." Flora's stare moves from her manicured nails to Hadama pointedly for a moment, fairly certain he knew the point she was making.

But that wasn't all that was on her mind, so with a rather deflating sigh, Flora continues. "I think it was super shitty how you let Harper say all those things about my family and didn't even step in." She said, her tone naked and her shoulders rounded somewhat.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama moved closer to the side of the canal, turning to rest his shoulders against the edge as he made himself comfortable beside the Hanged Man's newest owner. It was good to hear how she had thrown herself back into life again, her fingers in every pie and her successes racking up neatly in spite of the Longheat swelter and the political drama that had played out in recent months. The guild mention in particular intrigued him, but before he gathered himself to pursue it her eyes had left her nails and sought out his own.

He didn't miss her pointed commentary on Harper, only turning his head to look thoughtfully up at his young friend and meet that bright gaze before tilting his head to the side in silent acknowledgment of her recent - and welcome - flurry of activity. And, perhaps, at least some of what had driven it.

But it was the vulnerability that followed that struck most keenly, and Hadama looked out over the ocean for long moments before he answered, accepting both her pain and her accusation. "Yes," he agreed quietly. "I am sorry that I hurt you." He looked back to the young woman who had made her own mark on Torchline, standing proudly in spite of hardships, and his eyes were gentle. "And if I have made you feel alone."
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

Having actually been quite keen on yelling at Hadama and finally getting the cathartic release she'd thought only a good argument could give her, the mermanta's respectful and mature handling of the situation was frankly disappointing if not completely expected. "Yeah, well." Flora huffed, before turning her attention toward one of her staff who was currently bringing out their drinks.

Crinkling her nose in appreciation as she took each glass, Flora held out a narrow and tall glass for the mermanta to take. "Character development, right?" Because at this point, with Hadama being so mature, what else was there to say? So instead of searching for something pithy to summarize her feelings with, the Doubletake simply held up her glass to cheers' with. "Long may this sausage-fest of leadership reign."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Perhaps it wasn't forgiveness, but Hadama was glad to accept the drink from Flora with a solemn inclination of his head in gratitude. "To surviving. And thriving," he offered as his own toast, clinking the fluted glasses together and raising his own to his lips. He paused there, however, parsing the landfolk language before giving a slow nod of agreement.

"Ah. The merfolk would call it 'a sea cucumber convention,'" he informed her blandly, before taking a savoring sip of his mimosa and enjoying the fizz of the bubbles on his tongue.

It was a very good drink. Flora was working wonders with the bar and hiring the right people for the job, but that did remind Hadama of a question he'd had for her earlier. "What guild have you started?" he rumbled curiously. Perhaps she would allow him to join if it was a restauranteering one?
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

Looking at Hadama as if trying to gauge if he was serious or not, Flora's aqua eyes narrowed before sparkling mischievously. After a moment her face lights up as her head tilts back, cackling her delight and dropping the rest of the walls she'd been beginning to erect between them. "Ewwuh!" She scolds playfully, grimacing and shaking her head.

Plopping down next to the canal looking quite relaxed and at ease with the tension broken, the girl tugs off her shoes and begins to roll up her pant legs. "Oh, just like a lost and found. You know how things are on the beach." She says casually, having practiced this answer just in case someone like Hadama were to ask. Sliding her legs into the canal up to her knee, she kicked her legs back and forth beneath the surface, sighing indulgently as she felt it begin to sap away some of the heat.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama managed to look entirely innocent, though his emerald eyes were dancing with mischief as Flora got the joke and reacted with gratifying disgust. It made his mimosa taste all the sweeter to be able to tease her again and see her smile.

Or grimace, as the case might be.

The heat of the day was far easier to stand in the water and he was glad he was able to stay mostly submerged against it as they spoke and sipped their drinks. "Mmn. Useful," he agreed, seeing no reason to doubt her. Indeed, the Hanged Man made an ideal base for people to bring things they found lying in the sand or washed up at the tide line. "Did you see the suggestions on the notice board for our next improvement project?" Again he looked entirely too innocent as he asked, admiring the carbonation in his glass with intent gravitas.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Mmmhmm." Flora agrees with a flick of one foot as she sips innocently at her drink. "So if you lose anything or find anything, just let me know." And as far as a cover went, she did in fact think this was a good one for precisely the reasons Hadama was thinking of. No doubt she'd actually have to start a lost and found, but...well, easy peasy.

Raising a brow at that, Flora pulls in a thoughtful breath before resuming her previous inspection of her nails. "You know, I did." She mused while trying not to pick at a bit of her manicure which was cracking. "I really hope that you haven't like, picked the wrong thing by choosing rum over whiskey though." Flora adds with a careless shrug that doesn't at all reflect in her gaze as she looks at Hadama beneath her long lashes.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Indeed," he murmured agreement to Flora's request. "I will let the Merfolk know, as well." One never knew what sort of items could be found floating out amongst the Isles or rolling along the bottom of the seafloor that properly belonged back on dry land. Traditionally his people had pragmatically scavenged such objects in the time-honored tradition of 'finders keepers,' but given the current harmony between land and sea perhaps some would be willing to return such things to the Hanged Man.

Probably not many, he admitted to himself. But hope sprung eternal.

But there were mimosas to drink, and time to spend with his friend, and he glanced aside to her, meeting her long-lashed look with all the stoic innocence at his disposal. "Ah. Is there a problem with rum? The note was anonymous so I could not ask the author's reason."
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

'I mean, calories for one.' Flora says sagely, her head tilted at an angle. "Rum has far more sugar in it than whiskey does." For as progressive as Torchline was, you couldn't live in a place where a bikini was part of the standard dress code without having thought at least a little bit about what types of alcohol was simply not worth the calories.

"And I can only assume that whiskey was suggested because you drink it straight, so all you need by the fountain would be some glasses, whereas not many people drink rum on its own." She adds with a casual shrug despite having thought very seriously about this.

Trickling her foot in the water and sipping at her drink, Flora purses her lips together and offers Hadama an innocent look. "Maybe our next RQ can be a soda fountain next to it."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Mmn," Hadama hummed, acknowledging Flora's riposte about calories with a twinkle in his eye. "It does taste sweeter." Calories weren't as much of a problem for someone who swam constantly, but it was made from sugarcane.

He tilted his head and then sipped his mimosa as she continued and this time he gave a slow nod to honor her expertise as a bartender. "I enjoy it neat. I did not know it is not as popular that way." It was a good thing he had already swallowed his sip as she continued, however, and for a beat he managed to hold his serene facade in place.

But they were friends again and he had let himself relax too far. A small snort escaped first, like the first pebble that presaged an avalanche, and then a full, deep laugh followed. He raised his glass to her in appreciation, still chuckling. "Think of the opportunities for local vendors," he countered instead. "Different merchants nearby can sell different mixers. It creates jobs."

But she had already won by making him laugh first, and he finally relented. "But there is no reason we cannot ask for more fountains. In other parts of Torchline... and with different drinks." A whiskey fountain was still on the table, at least as long as the peaceful state of the world continued to allow them the luxury of improving their land for fun and profit rather than protection.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Well of course you'd enjoy it neat." Flora says with a laugh, shooting the mermanta a suggestive bob of her eyebrows. The Doubletake couldn't imagine the king being anything but neat and orderly; that those traits applied to his drinking habits only seemed to reinforce the rather rigidly proper opinion of him she'd formed in her mind.

Watching as amusement and then full-on mirth spread across the king's face, Flora found herself swept away by his laughter such that she couldn't help but add her own. Beaming, the girl wrangled her lips back into some semblance of control that she might speak. "Geeze, you're right! What a great suggestion this fountain was." She said airily, before grinning and shimming her shoulders smugly.

"Hey, so-" The laughter drifts from Flora's cheeks and lips into her eyes as her expression grows not serious, but perhaps a touch more intentional. "-you've been around." At 37 and nearly twice Flora's age, Hadama was basically ancient. Ow, my feelings "Do you think this peace will last with everyone? I mean, the ancients seem...I dunno, fine? But like, they literally come from a god of chaos or whatever, so..." Trailing off, Flora gives one of her feet a gentle kick in the water as she shrugs.