chained to my thoughts again
For Phoebe <3
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Oh, how I've tried to get you out of my head
And I lie broken in words I said
Sometimes he still woke from a dead sleep to sit straight up in bed in a cold sweat, his sleeping mind overrun with guilt and pain and torment, his imagination having carried him off in a storm of what-ifs. Sometimes he wondered if he would ever be free of the weight of it all - of the fall of the Tower and the death of everything he held dear - and sometimes he wondered if he wanted to be free. Wouldn't that mean forgetting, and wouldn't forgetting render their lives meaningless?

It had been with some trepidation that he had left the Dragoons; being a soldier was the only life he'd ever known, and to embark on a new journey left him in a state of nervous tension that was not something he was used to. Still, it had to be better than walking a city of grey, ghosts on every corner. Right?

The Greatwood wouldn't normally have been his first choice of homes, but he'd had enough of city life. Maybe a relocation to somewhere smaller, quieter, more remote would be a welcome change. So it was that he'd bought a little cottage, and so it was that he came to be moving in on this particular Longheat day. It was early - all the better for unloading the cart of his belongings before the heat of the day - and he worked in tandem with a small crew of movers who had met him at the skyport. He didn't have much, so it wouldn't take long to get the boxes inside.
Never thought I'd walk on this street again
Standing where it all began
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
A new resident in the Greatwood? You bet your britches Phoebe was off to meet them! She had prepared and packed a basket with a meal that could easily be warmed to make settling in a little easier. And of course there were cinnamon rolls - her signature. She was up bright and early per usual, though she had gotten some intel that the new resident would be on the first Skyboat in.

He was easy to spot with his wagon of boxes. She trailed casually behind, waiting until they reached his new home. He had gotten quite a nice cottage she noted. He must've been well off. "Hello there!" Phoebe called as she saw him exit the cottage. She smiled warmly and held out her basket. "Welcome to the Greatwood. I've made you a meal to help with your transition." she said.
You thought you'd watch me fade away
When you broke me into pieces
But I gave I gave each piece a name
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
From what little Liam knew of the Greatwood, he had not expected a warm welcome. Oh, he hadn't thought he wouldn't be welcomed - he just thought that he'd be able to move in with little fanfare, perhaps without anyone really noticing. It was supposed to be a quiet place, small - though, come to think of it, perhaps that made it harder to get lost in a crowd. Perhaps he should have anticipated that he would be a bit of a novelty.

In any case, he exited the cottage, running a hand through blonde curls, to find a pretty woman waiting for him. In truth, she was more than just pretty - she was the pinnacle of beauty. He stopped in his tracks, surprise coloring his features for the briefest moment before being replaced with a look of polite interest. "Hello," he rumbled, perhaps a little cautiously, having not anticipated meeting any neighbors quite so soon. But she was so warm and friendly that he couldn't help but smile slightly in return as he accepted the basket. "Thank you. It is much appreciated." Let it never be said that he was anything but well-mannered.

Then, because it seemed like the logical thing to do, he shifted the basket to one hand and held out the other. "I'm Liam," he said. "It's nice to meet you...?"
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
He was a little on edge it seemed, and she supposed it made sense. Moving was stressful and some random woman just approached him. Maybe she should have thought this through a little more. She shook his hand and smiled. "Phoebe. But you may know me as the Nightingale." she said, listing her honorary title. She knew that was more well known than her own name after all.

She glanced between him, the wagon, and the cottage. "I see you have some help already, but would you like some help unpacking?" she said. "I know moving can be overwhelming, especially when you're on your own." she said, also making note that he was by himself. "What brings you to the Greatwood?" she asked politely. Did he know someone here? Or, more likely, was he running from something?

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Pushing up from the ground before you is a blood-red rose.

You’ve encountered one of Vi’s Roses.. This counts as a rare creature encounter for the purposes of levelling, but does not count as a Random Event for levelling or MP. There will be no further admin/re intervention. You can post a link to this thread in the character updates thread if you pick the rose, to have it added to your inventory.

Vi's Roses (rare): A beautiful crimson flower with thorns of deep gold, it is rumoured that these roses are coloured with Vi's lifeblood. When planted, they have the ability to cleanse the area around them.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
A little on edge? Perhaps, but if he was, it was only because of all he'd been through to get there. He'd never imagined leaving Stormbreak, but after the war, it had all become too much. His arrival in the Greatwood was supposed to be a foray into a new life, a quieter life. Somewhere he could start over and rebuild.

"Phoebe," he said, shaking her hand, committing the name to memory. As it turned out, he had heard of her - but only a little. He had mostly kept his head down in Stormbreak, and what information he did know from outside of the city was limited. "It's a pleasure."

He looked around to the movers, who had nearly finished unloading the cart. There were only ba few smaller boxes left to be brought in and stacked amidst the others. When he thought of unpacking, he sighed ruefully. "Actually, these guys should be off soon - they were just helping to unload the cart." Then he hesitated. Was she offering just to be nice, or was she genuinely interested in helping? "Some help would be appreciated, if you're sure it's not too much trouble." Besides, it would be nice to get to know someone around here.

Liam should have anticipated her next question, but it still took him off guard. "Just needed a change of pace," he said. No need to burden a stranger with the death of his family, the drunken aftermath, the dissatisfaction of his work, or the ghosts that plagued him from dawn to dusk back home. "I'm from Stormbreak, originally. I was looking for somewhere quieter."

He started to lead the way inside as he talked, but stopped outside the door to the cottage to look at a curious rose that had sprouted from the ground. Blood-red and tinged with golden thorns, it stood out among the other flowers that surrounded the little cottage. "What kind of flower is that?" he asked, curious in spite of his awkwardness and discomfort.
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"The pleasure is all mine." she said with a smile. "It isn't often we get new residents, so a new face is welcome." Really it made her quite happy that someone new was moving in. Perhaps the draw of the Greatwood was finally getting out there!

Phoebe smiled and shook her head. "It's no trouble at all. I am happy to help." she said. And as if to prove her point, she picked up one of the remaining boxes with ease. Perhaps this would allow her to get to know him better.

"I lived in Stormbreak for a time." she said with a smile. "The pace here is definitely more leisurely. I think you'll like it." The Greatwood wasn't as advanced as Stormbreak, but it had its own charm. Magical woods tended to be like that.

At the sight of the rose she grinned. "That's a Vi's rose." she said. "They cleanse whatever area they are in. You should keep it." she encouraged.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
She really was lovely, with a kind personality to match her too-perfect beauty. Despite his reservations about the selection of the Greatwood as his new home, he had to admit that at least the welcoming committee made the move all the more appealing. As she picked up one of the few remaining boxes, Liam shrugged and stacked a few on top of each other, picking up the stack of boxes easily and carrying them into the cottage.

"What brought you to the Greatwood?" he asked as they walked up towards the little house, curious as to her reasoning. Once upon a time, he would have thought anyone mad for moving from the modernity of Stormbreak to the, shall we say, rustic charm of the Greatwood. But now that he was here, he had to admit that there was something peaceful about the area, something that drew him in, promising a new start that he so desperately needed.

"I'll let it grow, then," he said of the rose, gently kicking open the door for Phoebe to enter the cottage. It was small and quaint, but well-built, with an open kitchen and living room that had plenty of natural light. There were two rooms off the main living area that would serve as bedrooms, furniture already in place. At this point, it was mostly unpacking the boxes and making some minute adjustments to furniture placement to suit Liam's exacting standards.

The movers caught his eye, and he excused himself for a moment to settle up with them; once they were off, he turned back to Phoebe. "I appreciate your help," he said. "Everything should be labelled. I was planning to start in the kitchen?" he suggested, gesturing towards the area and its stacked, neatly labeled boxes. "If you open the boxes, I'll decide where things need to go."
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
What brought her to the Greatwood indeed. [sayI had been splitting my time between Torchline and Stormbreak because of my partner's job. But...well I was coaxed into a magical garden that made a year seem like mere minutes, and he had moved on by the time I got back." she said with a frown. "I needed to be somewhere I hadn't been with him, and we met in the Hollowed Grounds so it was here or Halo." she said, managing a smile at him. "And I hate the cold. So here I am."

Phoebe followed him in and set the box down in the appropriate room based on its label. Then she waited until he settled up. "I can do that." she said, setting right to work. Phoebe opened the first box and brought out a set of dishes. "So what did you do in Stormbreak?" she said, wondering what sort of skills he brought with him.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam winced as Phoebe explained what had brought her to the Greatwood, not having meant to stir up any negative memories. "I'm sorry," he said. "I didn't mean to pry." Her openness to a complete stranger was impressive, though, and his regard for her rose a notch or two. His own answer to her questions paled in comparison, and he wondered if he should have opened up more.

Or he could bottle it up and never talk about it. Three guesses as to which option he chose.

With the dishes revealed from the first box, he considered which cupboard they should go in, opening it and setting the plates inside. "I was a Dragoon," he said, which would likely come as no surprise given the way he held himself - a soldier, through and through. After a moment's hesitation, he added, "I joined right after I finished school, but after the Tower fell, and the war, I couldn't..." He shook himself, turning back to Phoebe for the next items to put away. "I hope that I can be useful here." He wasn't sure what need the Greatwood would have for a soldier, but it couldn't hurt to offer.
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled and shook her head at him, going so far as to wave off the notion that he had been prying with her hand. "It's fine. You asked and I answered as fully as I wished to." she said with a light laugh. Most people knew her and Harper's situation if you were remotely close to them by now so why hide the truth?

A Dragoon? She supposed he did hold himself like a soldier. But seemed he too had his own demons chasing him to the Greatwood. Of course she was curious for more details, but if he had wanted to share them he would've. So instead she smiled and held up a stack of bowls. "The Greatwood hasn't had a formal military since the Fae ruled. You could start there." she said with a light laugh. Not just be a Dragoon, or whatever the Greatwood equivalent would be, but the head Dragoon. Seemed like it would be appealing to her.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Thankfully, Phoebe didn't seem to mind his questions, even going so far as to wave away his apologies. He offered a small smile, relieved to have not managed to offend the first person he'd run into in the Greatwood. If he was to make a home here, he wanted to be liked and respected - not the person who pried and meddled in other people's affairs.

He also wanted to be useful. He couldn't stand sitting still, and he was going to need some kind of job to occupy his time. Although he'd considered a new direction - a new job or a new hobby - he kept coming back to his military training. When Phoebe shared that the Greatwood had no formal military, he was not surprised, but he was intrigued. "Do you have a peacekeeping force?" he wanted to know, his mind already turning with possibilities. Perhaps he could put his skills to use here after all - and perhaps he could find a way to do so without stirring up old memories. "The Dragoons serve multiple purposes in Stormbreak. They're military, yes, but they're also local police. I'd suggest something similar, especially for a smaller region. It makes more logistical sense than having multiple forces."

Then, realizing that he was extremely new and might be overstepping, he flushed. "Sorry, I didn't mean - that is, it was just a suggestion."
Liam
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
A peacekeeping force? For what, all three residents? She shook her head. "No. We don't even have a leader yet, though I've been working on that." she said. "Most people settle their own disputes and the wood keeps out people with poor intention...but as we grow I suppose that isn't sustainable." she said.

She passed him more dishes, now contrmplating the new problem before her.

But it seemed Liam had some ideas. They way he spoke reminded her of Harper. He was used to holding authority. And eveyrhing he said made perfect sense. As he blushed and backpedaled she couldn't help but laugh. "I think that's a very good idea. I've been thinking of modeling some architecture off of Stormbreak, why not the Dragoons too?" she said.

"And clearly you would be the person to consult about that."
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam accepted the dishes, turning to put them away. He'd wanted smaller, more peaceful, with fewer people and fewer memories. But now that Phoebe shared, he remembered that the Greatwood, like the Grounds, had no formal leadership. He had no aspirations for such a position for himself, but it did seem like something that would be helpful to have. "What have you been doing, to help with leadership?" he asked, curious. He also wondered if she expected much growth. Would the Greatwood rise to the status of the larger regions, like Stormbreak, or Halo, or even Torchline? He wondered what it would be like, to see this peaceful, quiet place as a bustling metropolis. Hopefully they could preserve its charm as it grew - though Phoebe had surely already thought of that.

"Is that so?" he asked in reference to the architecture. "I'd be interested to see how the architecture merged with the natural beauty of the Greatwood." As for modeling a peacekeeping force after the Dragoons, Liam flashed a crooked smile. "If I can be of any help, I will be happy to assist," he assured her. "I didn't move here to stop working; if anything, I prefer to be busy than not." The busier he was, the more tired he was at the end of the day, and the more tired he was, the less likely he was to have nightmares.
Liam