you're here with me
For Ever <3
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
It's not losing it all, if we have each other
In the end it's all, in the end it's all that matters
Of the friends that had taken the mantle of leadership upon their shoulders, Everest was perhaps the one she worried about the most. Anju, at least, had leadership experience from her role with the Dragoons; her day-to-day wouldn't change much as a result of the recent change in leadership. And Lena always seemed to take everything in stride, never seeming particularly bothered by anything. Of course, Soh would check in with them as well, but Everest... he was different. More shy, more reserved. He had never seemed like someone who wanted to be in the public eye.

Of course, neither was she, but that was neither here nor there anymore.

With Tarak perched upon her shoulder, looking about with interest on his first trip to the skyport, Soh made her way towards the office that she'd helped set up, hoping to find her friend there. It occurred to her that she didn't actually know where he lived - which seemed like something she should remedy, now that she thought of it. Adding it to her ever-growing mental list of things to do, Soh knocked on the office door before poking her head in. "Hi, Ever!" she chirped with a smile. "Got a minute?"
If we take this chance, and it falls to pieces
In the end you're all, in the end you're all that matters
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
Everest
That his office was set up didn't immediately mean it was ready to be used. Not for someone like Everest anyway. Instead, the aviator stood in front of one of the bookshelves that the trio had put together the day before, arms folded and with a look of stern concentration on his face. Books were scattered around him and to the untrained eye the piles of them might look entirely random, but of course for anyone who knew Ever, that was absolutely not the case.

Though one would think Sohalia's knock and subsequent call would interrupt Ever's thoughts, it apparently did not. Either that or he was simply ignoring his new ruler. Again, though, for anyone who knew him, Everest would likely rather gnaw off his own arm than be intentionally rude. It's Tarak, actually, who draws the attuned's attention, and only because the smell of the creature tugs at his canine senses. Turning, blue eyes wide but unseeing for a moment, eventually, Everest blinks at Sohalia as if she had appeared like a phantom in his doorway, rather than having politely tried to make him aware of her presence.

"Oh, Sohalia." He murmurs, a touch bewildered. 'Sorry, I was..' Glancing toward the bookshelf, the aviator shakes his head deciding it didn't matter. "Apologies, have you been there long?"
I've done the math, checked the facts
And there's no changing that
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Upon poking her head in the door, she found Everest in a state of concentration, staring at a bookshelf, with piles of scattered books around him. Her knock on the door and subsequent greeting had been ignored - or, knowing Ever, not ignored, but simply missed. She was about to knock again when he turned to look at her, blinking in a bewildered sort of way, and she offered a small, apologetic smile. "I just got here," she told him. "I'm sorry to interrupt. Should I come back later?"

But just as she was about to duck back out, Tarak leaped from her shoulder, his small wings spread to catch his fall, and landed (rather gracelessly) on the floor, trotting to sniff at the piles of books. "Tarak," Soh said wearily. She'd only found him recently, and he was still quite young. Not to mention that he was curious about everything and not in the least inclined to listen when his bonded told him no. Personally, she thought he was more cat than bird, but that was neither here nor there. "I'm sorry about him," she said to Everest, entering the office to scoop up the suddenly squalling creature. She winced and used her free hand to tickle the griffin's belly. Distracted, the little menace quieted, grabbing at her hand with outstretched paws. "He's, um, still learning manners."
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
'Oh, no. No need to apologize.' Part of having an office Finn had told his son, was that he was going to be interrupted. A lot, and no, he couldn't complain about it. With that expectation already set, Ever didn't experience any of the usual panic he'd normally feel at uninvited visitors. "Not unless that would be more convenient for you."

Feeling both the canine urge to leap toward the small griffin as well as the much more human need to Protect! The! Books! Everest merely froze in place, watching the creature as it moved toward his carefully curated piles, silently hoping it wouldn't have the urge to pee on any of them. 'Oh, not at all.' The aviator said with a small polite smile. 'I understand. I'm sure it's just as much of a struggle for them to understand their various animal parts as it is for us." Us, of course being attuneds, though given Sohalia's grace and charm he wondered if she struggled with things quite in the same way he did. But then, most people didn't struggle with the sorts of things Everest's mind regularly tousled with.

'What can I do for you?'
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Soh smiled and relaxed when Ever didn't take her up on the offer to come back later. In truth, having come down from the Tower, it would be easier to go ahead and talk rather than make the trek again. "Thank you. If you're sure you don't mind, now is fine." Tarak, bored of her game (and having left several small scratches on Soh's hand), clambered unceremoniously back up to her shoulder, where he perched backwards, staring intently at something on the wall that only he could see. Though they didn't communicate as such, Soh sent a firm order to stay put through the bond, hoping that he wouldn't ignore her.

Soh stepped further into the room, leaning one hip against the desk as her griffin turned on her shoulder to stare out the window instead. Maybe that would keep him appeased - for a time, anyway. "I just wanted to check in," she said. "See how you're doing. There have been a lot of changes." He was the Spyglass now, after all - though what, exactly, that meant, Soh wasn't entirely sure. "How are you settling into your new role?"
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"Now is fine." Everest confirms before glancing at the chair behind his too-large desk somewhat nervously. It seemed...too professional somehow to ask Sohalia to take a seat while he sat across from her, but perhaps that was what she expected? Glancing back to her, noticing the way she leaned against his desk without actively looking at her (her body, rather; her hip and waist specifically), Everest decided to simply position himself behind the desk.

Without having to endure Sohalia's bright blue stare - Ever found eye contact extremely distracting and difficult to maintain - the aviator found himself relaxing slightly even as he folded his arms somewhat defensively across his chest. "There have been." He agreed, perhaps unhelpfully, though Sohalia hadn't asked him to elaborate and it would be rude to assume anything.

"Well, I think. Perhaps that's because I'm well-suited to this sort of work given that my father held the role before me, and ..." Though Everest wasn't a carbon copy of his father, certainly he'd inherited more than a few of his quirks, both good and bad. "..we are very similar when it comes to our work."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
When Ever moved behind the desk, Soh shifted so that she could keep an eye towards him. She'd never been particularly bothered by his lack of eye contact, but just because he was uncomfortable with it didn't mean that she couldn't look at him. He folded his arms across his chest as he agreed with her sentiments, and she wondered if that meant that he wasn't happy with the changes. She frowned slightly, but relaxed as Ever continued. If he was adjusting well, that was all that mattered to Soh. "I'm glad," she told him with a smile, the slight frown she'd held falling away.

Soh reached up to stroke the underside of Tarak's chin, beneath his curved beak, and he started to purr. She needed more information - about Stormbreak, about its history, about the expectations that their people would have of a new leadership team - and she couldn't imagine going to anyone else for that information. She was already known to be young and inexperienced, and she wanted to avoid that reputation as much as possible. At least she felt like Ever wouldn't judge her. "Could you tell me more about what the Spyglass actually does?" she asked shyly. "I'm sure I should know, but - as you know - I'm new to this." This being leadership, being in charge, being the person who utilized things like a Spyglass.
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Perhaps in time Sohalia would come to understand all of Ever's strange non-verbal cues or the things that made him both easier and harder to communicate with. Perhaps he'd learn too that his new leader was someone who he could trust, or be comfortable around. Until then, the aviator wore his particular brand of social discomfort like an overly large cloak; constantly compensating for it yet unable to shrug it from his shoulders.

Lighting up considerably at being asked a direct question he could competently understand, Everest raises his eyes for just a moment as he nods. "Historically the Spyglass served as a very specific sort of advisor. At least, that's how Cian, the previous Eye, used the previous Spyglass." Ever begins, finding it not strange at all to speak of his father like this. "By specific I mean racial. Finn Rosencrantz had a special pair of glasses that let him see the auras of other races long after they'd passed by a particular place. It helped him in identifying disturbances and, in the early stages of the war, was useful in identifying any ascended who tried to pass themselves off as something other than they were."

Should Ever have his Father's special glasses now? Perhaps he'd ask.

"But the role of the Spyglass has always been an informative one. You point it - me, I suppose - in any given direction, and I report back to you." In this, it suited Everest just fine. Unlike Lena or Anju who would be out dealing with people, the aviator would gather information and compile it for his regent? luminary? heart? whatever, and report back.

"Ultimately my role is to keep you informed, or to get you information that you need along with unbiased judgements should you require them."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Everest seemed to light up in response to her question, and Soh smiled at his eagerness to answer. As she listened to the history of the position and what it entailed, she was already contemplating how she could best use it - though it seemed strange to be "using" one of her friends. She continued to scratch Tarak's chin as she thought. She certainly didn't want the position to be that which would contribute to the racial, shall we say, issues that she felt Stormbreak had. Though she could understand what had perhaps driven previous leadership to think that way, what with the Ascended attack and the fall of the Tower, things now were calmer and more peaceful. They needed to adjust to modern sentiments.

"Thank you," she murmured as she thought. There was so much she felt she needed to know in her new position, so much there was to learn. "I'd like to keep an eye on what the people of Stormbreak think of us," she told him. "If they are happy, or unhappy, or totally neutral towards our leadership." And then, because it was at the forefront of her mind: "I could use an unbiased opinion on something, actually. What do you think about opening our borders to Abandoned? Letting any race come and go in Stormbreak?"
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Reaching for one of his many notebooks, Ever pulls a pen from his pocket and begins to take fastidious notes, all while bobbing his head thoughtfully to the rhythm of Sohalia's voice. "I can certainly keep you apprised of that. Perhaps I will find a way that our citizens can respond anonymously so that they don't feel pressured to respond a certain way." Then again, perhaps he would ask them directly and take an anonymous census. It would be interesting to see how different the two reports were.

Blinking up at her, blue eyes bright and his posture still hunched boyishly over the desk, Everest nods. Without needing much time to consider his response, still the aviator takes a moment or two to try and sort the multitude of considerations sparkling in the forefront of his mind into some semblance of order. "Well...the reason to ban the abandoned initially was in response to the Voice. Because only the abandoned had the capacity to become as powerful as she had been. The only reasons to maintain the ban would be because 1. You think there's a chance the same Voice-ish situation might happen again or 2. You want to maintain Stormbreak's original stance." Was there a third reason? Ever pauses to consider. "Because the gods initially put the Order and the subsequent ban in place you might consider asking for their approval to remove it. If you care about their approval." Oh, but then...Frowning, the ball properly rolling in Ever's mind, he adds: "But then you'd need to know which god to ask, or which to align with for something like this, and that too would have ramifications."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Soh shifted uncomfortably as Ever pulled out a notebook and began writing notes about her request, still not used to the idea that her words were now somehow worthy of being written down. Still, the idea of an anonymous poll was a good one, and she nodded with approval. "That would be perfect," she said. Of course, it would be nice if her people (her people) felt comfortable enough to come forward even with bad opinions, but she could understand such hesitation. Perhaps over time, she could earn enough of their trust that such anonymity would not be as needed.

As she listened to the history of the ban, her brow furrowed in a slight frown. She'd already considered that some may not want the ban lifted, but it was her opinion that it was outdated. What she had not considered was that something like the Voice could happen again. "I was thinking about appealing to Frey. From what I understand, they may be most sympathetic in this situation - they're more relaxed when it comes to the Abandoned, aren't they?" she mused aloud. "Maybe we could request the ability to turn the Starshield off or on, depending on the situation. That way, if anything like the Voice ever does happen again, we have options. Of course, I want to do what Stormbreak wants to do, so perhaps we should hold a vote." Something else to add to her ever-growing to do list. Ah well - she needed to gather the people anyway, if only to introduce herself and her council.
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"Which Frey?" Everest wonders, reaching again for his notebook. "From what I understand both aspects of Frey had little interest in the war. However, I do believe it was their position that not unlike weeds in a curated garden, it was alright to remove unintentional growths or plants that were hindering the development of others." Still the Spyglass's voice is free of judgement, sounding happily academic in reciting this information.

'Stormbreak has never been a democracy.' Everest interjects. "Cian always made the decisions that would best support the city. And in the months leading up to war, of course Ronin had to make choices on his own." Happy to debate the merits of democratic choices (he'd just done so with Mateo days before), for now the aviator only inclines his head slightly before continuing. "If Stormbreak wanted to remain anti-abandoned is that something as its Heart you would want to support? If not, perhaps certain decisions should not be made open to the public. However if you want to do what the majority wants, then by all means."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
"Nature Frey," Soh said with a faint blush, uncomfortable with the idea of approaching the sexual aspect of Frey for help with such a matter. Still, Frey seemed to Soh like the most likely to assist with such a quest. She ran a hand over Tarak's back as she thought. She was still wary of Safrin after Sunjata's account, and she knew relatively little of Ludo.

"I'm not much of a dictator, or even a monarch," said Soh wryly. "Of course, I'm sure there will be decisions that need to be made without consulting the people... I just don't know if this is one of them. It is their home, too, after all. Surely they should have a say in who comes and goes." She paused. "I hope that public sentiment has changed, now that we are in a time of peace, but if it hasn't... well, I would stand behind the people. Maybe try to change minds slowly, but I don't want my first act as a leader to be one that our people won't support."
Sohalia
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Listening without judgement, Everest nods in all the appropriate places as Sohalia speaks (a trick his mother had taught him). "Perhaps you might speak to them first about your plans and explain why you personally think that allowing abandoned back into Stormbreak is a benefit before letting them decide. Your words carry more meaning now as Stormbreak's Heart, so you will be able to influence their choices even if you leave the ultimate vote to them."

Unlike Sohalia, Everest absolutely would be a dictator. A benevolent one he would hope, but there were few minds (or groups of minds) he trusted more than his own, especially when it came to making hard decisions. But then, that's why Sohalia was the Heart, and not (perhaps as he would be) it's Brain.