Papercuts
Made for Loren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061

R O N I N

It was late, but Ronin couldn't sleep. How could he, when there was still so much left unanswered? The ex-captain found himself wandering rather than resting, scouting the parameters of the Sanctuary where they'd attempted to make shelter, a torch in hand and his coat buttoned up to his chin. The cold worked ruthless fingers into him and he soon sought shelter indoors, not that it made much of a difference to the temperature.

Still, even if one side of this domed building was left open to the elements, it was still out of the wind. Ronin turned up his collar with one hand and held his torch aloft, arching an eyebrow. He didn't think he'd been here before.

Loren
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren had always been a restless sleeper, so being randomly and unexpectedly transported to a new world hadn’t exactly helped with that. No, he’d only been resting in fits and spurts, before inevitably rising and trying to pace. The last time that had happened, he’d decided to just give up and spend the time productively. Beyond that, a flicker of light in the distance had caught his eye; it looked like firelight, not reflected moon- or starlight, so he’d gathered his wits and his magic and started cautiously stalking forward, hoping to identify the source. No doubt it was just another restless soul, but he wasn’t going to take any chances.

Magic in the new world was weird, and he hadn’t been able to figure out all the rules yet; maybe that should’ve encouraged him to stay safe—not that this place would feel safe until they’d explored and identified the inevitable threats—but he’d rather risk himself than anyone else. Besides, if he started to get too far he could just turn back: this wasn’t so urgent or dangerous that he needed to deal with it on his own.

Luckily, it turned out he wouldn’t have to as a familiar figure appeared in the distance. Loren sighed, and picked up the pace; whatever Ronin was doing out here was probably foolish. THe librarian’s friend was a good person, but kind of an idiot sometimes, and without Loren to watch Ronin’s back the captain was sure to get in trouble. Indeed, as the other man ducked into an unfamiliar building—Loren quickly following suit, his own eyes needing to adjust to the light differential—the Launceleyn sighed. “Hey Ronin. Looking for anything in particular?” It was still dark in here: frowning, the magician attempted to summon light, but it failed. Cursing quietly under his breath, he closed his eyes, then summoned one of his favorite creatures, a qilin. It filled the room with a warm glow, much better than the torch; even better, it was a protective spirit and might keep them safe from any danger. At least his summoning still worked partially even if he couldn’t seem to access his most powerful beasts.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
R O N I N

Ronin had been getting warm, first and foremost, but as his eyes slowly adjusted he realised that there was more to this domed structure than he had first expected. The ex-captain frowned, tilting his head and narrowing blue eyes as if to concentrate further, but before he could head deeper into the building a familiar voice rang out. However, no matter how familiar - and even though the voice had called his name - Ronin still bristled, whipping around with an arm raised in a defensive block. He softened, of course, at the sight of Loren , letting out a sigh that fogged in the air before them.

"I couldn't sleep," he said by way of explanation. He imagined that was why the Launceleyn was out here too. Though I doubt many people can. I feel better patrolling." Besides, before leaving Northaven ('leaving' being a term he used loosely at best) he had hardly been in top shape. Yes, that likely meant he should be taking better care of himself now more than ever, but... whatever.

"I wasn't looking for anything, but I think I found something regardless." He smiled at his friend, especially as he summoned forth the qilin - the warmth and light were appreciated, allowing Ronin to lower his torch a little. He beckoned Loren in the direction he'd been looking. "This place is full of books," he remarked.

the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren
not afraid to use every trick in the book

Sighing, Loren walked up to his friend, qilin padding behind. It seemed that insomnia was contagious; then again, while the librarian didn’t remember much, what he did remember was that Ronin wasn’t in great shape before they’d ended up here (however that had worked). Therefore, the Launceleyn was concerned that the ex-captain was still in a dark place that he did his best to hide from the world. Luckily, although Loren was pretty depressed himself usually—despite recent very promising developments that he definitely needed to find time to explore—he was still very good at taking care of others. "There seems to be a lot of that going around." Hence Loren’s presence here.

"I understand, although I’d submit there doesn’t seem to be much to patrol just yet. It’s not like we have set perimeters or schedules. But Ronin, now more than ever we need you to take care of yourself. How are you holding up?" The librarian was not above badgering the other man into sleeping, eating, and whatever other task proved necessary. They were in danger: though they’d gotten lucky so far, they were in unknown environs and, as far as Loren was concerned, Ronin was one of the few leaders they had. If something happened to Ronin—which was likely, if he foolishly didn’t sleep and struck off on his own—then Loren didn’t know what he would do.

As the librarian finally registered their surroundings (and as Ronin mentioned books) all worries about the other man dissipated from Lorens’ mind; in their place, a burning curiosity appeared. He wanted to know all about this strange building and its secrets, especially those contained in the pages he now saw on display. Without hesitation, the librarian approached the nearest volumes, scanning them. "Huh. Weird. I don’t recognize these. Not even all the languages." Glancing at Ronin, Loren felt a grin tugging at his lips. "Maybe that means they have information on crabs we haven’t discovered yet." It had been a running joke of theirs for so long, and it felt good to be doing something so normal in the midst of all this insanity.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

"Not so surprising, considering what happened," Ronin commented with a faint smile as Loren walked closer, the ex-captain shrugging his shoulders. He was still waiting, really, to wake up back in his bed at home with all of his problems and worries wrapped around him like a blanket, but... even though this was only the first couple of days here (wherever here was), it felt real. Horribly real. Were it not for his friends and Vanya being there as well, the former baron didn't know what he would have done. Found a bottle and climbed inside it, probably.

He shrugged his shoulders to the librarian. "Force of habit?" he said by way of explanation. "Though we should probably get the former soldiers together and figure some sort of rota and perimeter..." That was on tomorrow's to-do list. Tonight, apparently, was an impromptu therapy session with his friend. Ronin's smile softened."I'm holding up," he assured him, though he didn't really give much more than that. The last time he'd brought up his personal circumstances, especially when it came to the lady in his life, it had been... disastrous.

Luckily, the books seemed to be the distraction they both needed. Ronin approached after Loren, flicking his wrist to trigger his light conjuration ring. With the torch, the qilin and the magic, there should be plenty light to peruse. "Huh," he said, sounding honestly bemused - in Ronin's mind, Loren knew pretty much everything. Still, at his comment about crabs, the ex-captain felt himself catching his friend's grin. He nudged Loren gently. "I think between us we're the leading experts, actually," he said. "This is... well. Something else. Looks like you have a library to take care of after all, huh?"

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Loren wasn’t sure what was going on here—it was entirely possible this was some sort of elaborate illusion he’d been trapped in—but unless and until that was proven or disproven the former librarian was choosing to treat it as their new reality. If that was true, they needed to start coming together, not falling apart, either individually or as a group. "Yeah, well, it happened, so we need to learn to deal with it. And we need to take care of ourselves." While the former duke’s words might’ve been harsh, his tone was as kind as he could manage; they were all still freaking out, it seemed, and they could all use a bit of peace and calm. Unfortunately, he seriously doubted they were going to get it.

Already Loren was regretting engaging with Ronin about patrolling: trust the former captain to throw himself into working to avoid thinking. It was a bad and nasty habit that the magician knew well, since he did it himself. Still, at least it made it easier to recognize it in others. "Oh yeah? And just who are you expecting to patrol with you? Or were you just gonna handle it all on your own, like you always try and inevitably fail to do?" Loren’s voice was equal parts teasing and chiding; if the other man wanted to take offense, so be it, but their previous discussion about Ronin’s downward spiral had been interrupted. This time the librarian wasn’t going to let the ex-captain off the hook so easily. Placing his hand on Ronin’s shoulder, the Launceleyn smiled at his friend. "I’m glad you’re holding up, but our problems here aren’t ones you can patrol or punch away." That wouldn’t stop the former baron from trying: Ronin seemed to have a talent for solving problems (that he usually created to begin with) with violence and workaholism. It was better than alcoholism, at least, but still not good.

Yeah, light wasn’t the problem here. The problem was the books and scrolls themselves: there was no rhyme or reason to this place, either in terms of the languages, the contents, or the presence of this knowledge at all. "I don’t understand. Based on the dust in this place, no one’s been here in many years, but many of the volumes seem to be in good shape." The former duke wasn’t going to get into the specifics of that statement—he wasn’t sure Ronin would even understand—but Loren knew that this was an anomaly. "We’ve got more important issues to worry about. And I’m not sure what’s preserved these." What went unspoken was that they might not be alone here. Something had taken care of this place and managed not to leave a mark.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

"Okay, okay. Message received loud and clear." Ronin's voice was soft but he had to resist the urge to roll his eyes. He and Loren had been friends, then more than friends, then less than friends... but lately the Launceleyn had felt like something of a nanny to him. The former captain sighed, nodding to the other man. "We'll look around here a little more, then I'll get some rest." He almost said he'd go home, but it had been barely a few days. What was home? Northaven hadn't felt like it, in the time leading up to this, and this place certainly wasn't anything like a home either. His thoughts drifted to nutmeg eyes and soft curls and he bit the inside of his cheek to try and find the words he wanted. He might not have wanted to divulge much to the Launceleyn, but that didn't at all mean he wouldn't. Force of habit, as he'd mentioned once before already tonight.

It was bruising, to hear those words fall from Loren's lips. Like you always try and inevitably fail to do...

Ronin swallowed hard and turned his gaze to the books they had found, rather than look at the librarian. The hand on his shoulder earned Loren a wry sort of smile, especially considering his accompanying comment. "You're telling me," he muttered, finally locking eyes with the other man. "Can I tell you something in confidence?" he asked, continuing without waiting for the affirmation. He just sort of blurted it out.

"Vanya is having a baby, Loren. I mean... she's having my baby." Anything about the books was forgotten.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Maybe Loren would be less caretaker and more friend if Ronin had proven himself capable of taking care of himself. Unfortunately, the ex-captain had a nasty habit of running himself ragged in a misguided attempt to run away from his problems; as the reigning king of bottling things up until the dam broke, Loren knew how self-destructive that kind of behavior was. "Hey. Don’t get upset with me for trying to help. If you want me to back off, say so, but don’t act like a spoiled child and get all sullen.” That might’ve been a bit too aggressive, but all the strangeness and mystery was getting to Loren. Besides, he was getting a bit tired of Ronin’s ongoing dramatics: just because the other man had been through a lot didn’t mean he could fall apart. Loren had been through worse, and no one saw him complaining. "We’ve been done the whole not talking road before, and I thought we agreed to no more lies." His voice came out softer, this time, without the note of challenge it had possessed earlier.

At the other man’s agreement that after this, he’d go home and rest, Loren nodded. "Great! I’ll walk you back." Otherwise, there was a greater than zero percent chance that Ronin might just continue to patrol until he dropped from exhaustion. Still, it seemed that the librarian had made his point, so there was no need to belabor it. Loren did make a promise, though, to keep an eye on Ronin. They would need it: as one of the few people actually beloved by most of the populace, the other man could rally them in their time of need. Assuming he was in the right headspace of course.

Whatever news the former duke had been expecting to hear—and honestly, given that they were in a new world with new rules, it could’ve been anything—Vayna being pregnant was about the last thing he expected. In fact, his jaw actually dropped. Although he quickly shut it, his eyes were still wide with shock. "C-c-congratulations." Coughing, he tried again. "Sorry. Congratulations, Ronin, that’s fantastic news. I’m so happy for you two.” Although their own relationship had fallen through, that didn’t mean Loren wasn’t happy for his friend; besides, anything that would raise his spirits was welcome. A new life would certainly do it.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

Ronin bristled a touch at his friend's tone; if anything that would only serve to make him more sullen, and he fought to shrug it off. "Fine," he murmured, brushing his fingertips across a dusty tome and barely even glancing over the title, "if you would back off, I would certainly appreciate it." Loren's version of help didn't seem to be doing him any good - indeed, he was feeling all the worse for it. Still, the captain took a breath and let it out again, and straightened up as if to rally himself.

"I would prefer it if you walked yourself back, since you're also not sleeping and wandering around in the middle of the night," he pointed out. That and Ronin had said he would walk back after their little jaunt through this place - if no more lies was to continue in this new world, he hoped Loren might at least trust him to keep his word and go back to Vanya. Speaking of which, while Ronin couldn't stop the boyish sort of smile that spread across his face at his friend's reaction, though he shrugged weakly.

"Is it?" he asked, honestly hoping for the other man's opinion. "The timing is as far from perfect as it could be... I'm terrified." It wasn't an easy admission to make, and by the way the ex-captain glanced around the half-ruin of the building, it wasn't the prospect of fatherhood that scared him. No, it was the lack of resources. It was the cold. It was the limited medical supplies. Not to mention whatever was in this bubble with them.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Grumpy Ronin was grumpy apparently. Honestly, Loren was getting a bit tired of the other man’s attitude; the ex-captain was moping and acting as if one, the Launceleyn was the problem and two, as if the former baron’s woes were, in the grand scheme of things, all that troubling. Considering that Loren had been tortured for some twenty odd years of his life, had several members of his family murdered, and was still missing a few, on top of his personal relationships all being up in the air, he had little patience and even less tolerance for moping. If he had to knock some sense into the other man, Loren was more than happy to do so.

Still, they were at least talking honestly, for which he was grateful: there’d been too many secrets in Northaven and it seemed this new land was the same. At the very least he could prevent that in his personal life. It was a small gesture, but an important one. ”Fair enough. But I’m backing off, not going away.” Taking a deep and shuddering breath, he glanced at the rows of unknown tomes before returning his gaze to Ronin. ”We need to stick together, now more than ever it seems.” If the ex-captain was listening, he might detect the plaintive note in the former librarian’s voice; Loren was just as scared and helpless here as everyone else. The difference was, after spending most of his life scared and helpless—even recently, when he’d shown his strength and proved his worth he felt that way—he knew how to manage it.

Throttling down the urge to roll his eyes at Ronin, Loren gave the other man a flat and unamused glance. ”Fine. We can walk each other back, how about that?” Thankfully, however, the conversation turned to happier matters (and Loren had said he’d back off, and he would). And indeed, what better news could there be than a baby? New life for a new world, if that wasn’t a portent Loren didn’t know what was, not that he believed in such matters. As for terror, well, that was silly.

Punching his friend in the arm, the Launceleyn grinned, transformed into a different, much younger and freer seeming person by the expression. ”I hope you’re feeling something other than terror, otherwise I imagine your lady love will be quite miffed with you.” The grin became a smile, but amusement still twinkled in the former duke’s eyes. ”That child is going to be the most spoiled and loved child ever. After all, it’ll be the first one born in this new world, that much is true, but that just means the whole community will rally around it.” Loren wasn’t the best caretaker, but he would make sure no one ever suffered through a childhood like his if he had something to say about it. Besides, it’d be easy: he’d just have to do the opposite of what his family would do and the kid would be fine. ”Have you started thinking about names?” It was probably premature for that, but Loren’s excitement was palpable and bubbling out.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

There was never a time when they didn't have to stick together, in Ronin's opinion - it was just that the danger here was more overtly external. Instead of having to worry about political jaws snapping at their heels, it was just the regular array of horror and shadows. Still, Loren had a point and Ronin could concede it, nodding to the other man. "And neither am I," he said simply. "So I guess we're walking back together. Not that I have the faintest idea where you've set yourself up." Ronin smirked, happy to close off that unpleasant little part of their conversation.

Especially when he had shamelessly more exciting things to talk about, in his opinion. He was having his first child with a woman he adored - so sue him. As Loren punched him playfully in the arm Ronin smiled easily, having the good grace to look a little sheepish at least. "A lot of things, under the terror. Good things, I promise," he said, laughing and rubbing at the back of his neck. "You think so? I just... It doesn't feel like there's very much time. Even back in Northaven I would have felt unprepared, so this is... yeah."

Flicking through a couple more tomes and not really reading them - the books were more Loren's thing anyway, he was just pleased to have found the place - Ronin shrugged and looked thoughtful at the suggestion of names. "I don't even know what it'll be," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "I'll have to ask Vanya. She's probably got some ideas."

the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

At the mention of where he’d set himself up—which was really up in the air at the moment—Loren sighed. His family apparently wanted to try and recreate the Launceleyn family compound here, something he had incredibly mixed feelings about. On the one hand, family first had been drilled into him from birth; on the other hand, the family had a nasty habit of treating him abominably and taking him for granted, and he hadn’t realized how much he valued his independence and his private space until it was threatened. Now that he realized that, he was (as always) having trouble reconciling his conflicting desires.

Telling Ronin all of that would just dampen the mood again and lead to a bunch of conversations the former librarian wasn’t willing to have just yet. So, though he’d promised to be honest, the Launceleyn did what he did best: ignored his problems, changed the subject, and deflected wildly. ”I haven’t, yet, actually. Found a place that is. It’s a work in progress, but for now I’ve just been crashing wherever it was convenient.” The corner of his mouth quirked. ”As you may recall, I don’t need much in terms of accommodations.” Ronin didn’t know the whole extent of it, but when the former duke had offered to sleep on the floor, he’d meant it; living in the Launceleyn compound had taught him to sleep where and when he could, since it wasn’t always a given. ”You found a place yet?”

Though he’d told himself he was happy for his friend, weirdly enough Loren felt a stab of jealousy, since he assumed that Vanya and Ronin would move in together. They might not be married—which didn’t seem nearly as scandalous as it might have once upon a time—but they had a baby on the way. Therefore, it just made sense for the two of them to live as a couple. They’d been quiet about their courtship, it seemed, but this would change all that.

Ronin was worried about nothing, Loren knew—as long as they loved the child, which he was sure they would—the rest would fall into place. While the Launceleyn couldn’t possibly imagine what a normal childhood was like, since his had been denied to him, he knew that the material things mattered so much less than the other types of support. Besides, Ronin just so happened to have a best friend who could help out with the supplies. Pointing at the other man, Loren grinned. ”I’m going to hold you to that. This is unequivocally good.” Turning his hand so the palm was facing upwards, Loren furrowed his brow; his magic had been acting incredibly weirdly, but he had at least some limited abilities in conjuration. An apple popped into existence, and he tossed it at his friend. ”I know so. We’ll make sure you have everything you need, and you’ll take care of the rest.” For once in his life, Loren felt sure about something. He was going to make sure that kid was beloved, and if he had to, he would love the shit out of it himself. No more children would suffer under his watch.

It made sense they hadn’t thought about names; this was all so new that they simply hadn’t gotten around to it. Seeing as it really wasn’t his place, Loren wasn’t going to offer suggestions. Well, he wasn’t going to offer suggestions about names: advice about other matters was more than fair game he decided. ”Has she been checked out by a healer?” Loren knew he had some paltry skills in that arena, in healing magic at least, but he was far from an expert, and wouldn’t even know where to start. Regardless, the excitement was still growing in the former duke. He held up both hands now, and a bottle of brandy and two glasses appeared in his hand. Holding out the glasses to Ronin, Loren smiled at his friend. ”I think this certainly calls for a toast, don’t you?” Even surrounded by unknown books—which under any other circumstances nothing would’ve distracted Loren from—the only thing he could focus on was this birth. For some reason, the prospect of a literal new life in the midst of all them trying to forge new lives for themselves carried a special significance to him. Maybe it was just the prospect of somehow righting the wrongs in his own upbringing by showing the Launceleyns there was another way. Of course, this wasn’t actually his kid, nor did he imagine he would ever have one—given who he thought he might be seeing—so this might be the closest he could get.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
R O N I N

Just crashing wherever it was convenient? That had Ronin smiling despite himself. "I do recall," he agreed, "though I do also remember that you enjoy having space to yourself, and that everything has a place with you. I hope your work in progress completes itself soon." The former captain folded his arms across his chest; he'd seen the Launceleyns all together at the Spire, yes, and if Loren had yet to find a place he was probably staying with them. That sounded... fun? Sure, why not.

As for him... "We chose somewhere in the Domiciles. Vanya and I," he added the latter for clarification. "We looked everywhere but it doesn't seem as though any of the Hali family are here with her. And the Siren's Call, even if she did make it through, can't be close by. There's no ocean." Ronin should know - he had looked. Extensively. "It needs a lot of work, but so do most of these places. I don't know how we got here and no one from Northaven who would be capable of getting us back is around, so... I imagine we're here for the long haul."

It was a terrifying prospect in some ways - but not as much as becoming a father, apparently. Still, if Loren was to be believed (and Ronin very much wanted to believe his friend), this was only going to be a good thing. He watched with raised eyebrows as the apple simply popped into existence, Ronin grinning and catching it in his hands. Rather than biting into it himself, he slipped it into his pocket - there was someone who definitely needed it more, given their current subject of conversation.

We wasn't honestly something the former captain had expected to hear, but he was unashamedly reassured by it, nodding in agreement with Loren. "I think I can just about manage that," he said. "Thanks, Loren. It means a lot..." He didn't think that really needed saying, but still. Their friendship had been weird for a while before they'd arrived here. "Hm? No, not yet," he murmured, shaking his head. "She only told me the first night we arrived, and she'd only just found out. I'll make sure she sees someone soon." There was no room for argument in his voice - Ronin would tear the Sanctuary asunder to find a healer for Vanya, if he had to.

The appearance of the brandy and the glasses had Ronin smirking, and it was his turn to playfully nudge his friend. "Mighty fine trick you have there, magician," he said, nodding and accepting the glasses. He held them out for Loren to fill up. "Listen," he said slowly. "I don't want to get macabre, but if anything ever happened to me..." He didn't really want to finish the sentence, and sort of hoped his meaning was clear. If Ronin ever died, there were very few people he would trust to make sure his child was okay. Loren just happened to be one of them.