{se} All our flaws are bittersweet
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 38 - Dext: 38 - Endr: 54 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9747
Hotaru

In the spirit of her daughter, Hotaru arrives unannounced for the explicit purpose of retribution in the form of couch surfing (and secreting away any of Flora's fun liquor). However, while she's already here, she can't come up with a reasonable excuse not to partake in the luxuries Torchline offers that Halo cannot. Given she'd accidentally realized her hair has become a length suitable of wielding as a weapon against Sunjata that means it's time for a visit to her trusted hairstylist.

Which is why she is quite vexed to notice that the entire strip, salon included, is covered in truly impressive amounts of webbing. Closed signs abound down the road; nail salon, tea shop, boutique. All of her favorite time-killing shops wiped right off the board.

A few employees seem to be vainly trying to remove the strands in order to reopen which is promising, but even if she has ample magic to help in those efforts Hotaru still stands torn on who to aid first - if any at all. The beach does still call, though she'd really been hoping for a self-care day...
come what may
she would be wild, untrammeled, free
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3101
Isla

Self-care days are a foreign concept for a woman who has made her living as a field medic, and that was even before existing for years in a body that couldn't feel pleasure or exhaustion. And so even though Isla has no clinic to run, no patients to treat, no war to prepare for, the idea of wiling a day away on herself is unheard of. It isn't that she wouldn't enjoy it (she very much would, if she were better at pampering herself), but that it's such a foreign concept that it doesn't even occur to her as a possibility.

All of that is to say that she's making herself busy on the strip, currently helping out the owner of the tea shop. Forced to duck and weave under the spider webs in order to even get out through the door, Isla gathers her skirts up and hops back a few steps, before advising the owner to go inside. Only when he's safely sequestered out of the way does she shift, letting molten stripes and fiery fur take over.

A few swipes of the molten tiger's claws do cut through the cloud spiderwebs, but it's slow going at best.
I'll take a bruise, I know you're worth it
When you hit me, hit me hard
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru admittedly doesn't take notice of Isla while she is a woman, and instead only sees the molten tiger that sets to work alongside the employees to cut through the spiderwebs. So, understandably, she arrives at a very wrong conclusion that piques her interest enough to walk over. Checking the Attuned bond just to be sure it's an Ancient, Hotaru smiles beatifically at the workers. "I can lend a hand if you'd like." Though it's for entirely selfish reasons.

Sidling up to the shifted Ancient, Hotaru quirks a brow. "I'm dearly hoping you're the person I'm looking for, but I'm afraid I'm at a disadvantage here and don't wish to use all my best pickup lines without verification." Not that it stops her from softening her voice into something velvety, which is contrasted by the way she half-shifts her own mountain lion claws to begin tearing away at the spiderwebs in tandem. If it is Danta then she might steal him away on the premise of her quest (or her continuation of her self-care day, hah), but it could also very well be her niece.

Ew.
come what may
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Isla

With no Attuned bond to warn her of Hotaru's approach and her focus fully on disposing of the cloud spiderwebs, Isla is oblivious to the other woman's presence until her velvet voice purrs through the air. The doorway is clear enough now to pass through, at least, much to the workers' delight, and it's with whiskers twitching that she turns her gaze up and finds the effortlessly gorgeous form of the Valkyrie. How blessedly awkward.

Luckily, Isla's resilience and inner peace have recently taken a turn for the better, and so even as she shifts back, leaving her in a momentary crouch, there's little more than soft confusion in her expression. Maybe even a ghost of amusement. "I've no doubt that your pickup lines are good, but something tells me I'm very much not the person you're looking for," she says, rising to her feet and brushing a few stray webs from her skirts.

"But I appreciate the help anyway," she adds, nodding to the tea shop doorway.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

The transformation leaves the resulting human form not only shorter than anticipated, but much blonder. The only visible sign of the Valkyrie's surprise is the too-quick blink of her eyes, the riot of ensuing thoughts and feelings appropriately hidden away.

"Perhaps not, but would you care for a pickup line anyway?" Reaching out, she plucks a web off Isla's shoulder and smiles serenely. "Shame to waste them once they've been prepped, right?" From within, as the employees set about opening the shop, one of them returns to the doorway with a smile and a bashful wave to gain their shared attention. "Thank you for helping. You're welcome to some tea on the house if you're staying."

Hotaru may not have prepped this particular pickup, but it's practically serendipitous, and the impish curl of her mouth is practically unstoppable. "I normally prefer my tea with two sugars, but if you'll accompany me I'll have all the sweetness I need." Accompanied with an elegant twist of her wrist that the former Duchess will surely recognize, Hotaru tilts her head towards the teahouse. "How was that one?"
come what may
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

Having been expecting a lot of things from a sudden meeting with Hotaru (but simultaneously expecting nothing, given that she never thought they'd run directly into one another), Isla is nonetheless pleasantly dumbfounded by the premise of pickup lines and tea. "When you put it like that, it does seem a shame to waste that effort," she agrees with a wry smile. Casual physical contact is another surprise, but she's grateful for the removal of the web nonetheless, nodding her thanks to the other woman.

Eyebrows raising at the very apt line, Isla's smile grows rather without her permission, flashing the tips of fangs. "Smooth," she tells Hotaru. "Very smooth. How could I possibly say no?" Given that the employees are already setting a table up for them, the Remedy checks for any further stray webbing before stepping inside, allowing them to seat her next to the window.

"How have things been with you?" she asks, feeling a strange mix between knowing Hotaru and still seeing her as a stranger.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru had ruminated on Isla's fair features at the bar, but the tiny peek of fangs and growing smile only re-cement her initial estimations. It's a pity, then, that she has such conflicted feelings about the woman. Not that Hotaru has ever shied away from conflict; precisely why she invites Isla to tea. "You can't, clearly. Which means I have succeeded." Winking, she sits gracefully in her chosen chair and glances briefly at the menu they hand both women, already familiar.

Pondering the Remedy's question, Hotaru first places an order for petit fours and finger sandwiches before stretching out her legs and idly tracing the wood grain with the fingers of one hand. "You spend so long merely surviving that living can feel overwhelming," she admits readily, content to at times weaponize her honesty for certain purposes. Given they'd both lived through the war, she's certain Isla will understand. "The tail end of a singular season changed nearly everything for me. In positive ways, of course, but," here she lifts her hand from the table to gesture loosely, at a loss for words. "Yourself?" Ru knows the most important bit, but she wonders how Isla will define it in her own words - or if she'll mention it at all. Just how honest were they going to be with one another?
come what may
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

"Well, then I concede to your pickup line and accept the invitation," Isla says, easy amusement lacing her tone, and soon enough they are seated and the menus are passed out. Not so familiar with the tea shop, the Remedy is happy to go with the flow, following suit with Hotaru's order and adding a pot of earl grey tea to complete it.

The other woman's response is so apt that it almost takes Isla's words from her, and she nods slowly as the sentiment soaks into her skin. "Overwhelmed. That's a very accurate way of putting it," she agrees, before letting pebble blues lift once more to flicker across Hotaru's pretty features.

"I'm glad to hear it," she says - and that's honest, despite everything. "I can count the good seasons on one hand, these days. Hopefully there are more to come." Smiling her gratitude at the arrival of tea, she's privately grateful to have something else to do with her hands as she considers her own answer.

"Up and down," she says at last. "Recently things have taken a turn for the better, but... well, I imagine you heard that I left the House of Midnight." And probably a lot more besides, but Isla isn't privy to the depths of Sunjata's feelings or his conversations with the Valkyrie. She never has been.
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru is quite flexible in her tea drinking, but she does hum appreciatively over Isla's order, clearly approving. "Perhaps we can toast to that? Future, better seasons?" The liquid they consume may not be traditional for toasting, but they are already an untraditional pair. In the hopes Isla will agree, Hotaru begins preparing her own cup - two cubes of sugar, just as she'd mentioned earlier.

Pausing as her hands lift the kettle to begin pouring at the mention of things going better, Hotaru's heterochromatic eyes flick up to Isla's pebble blues, equally surprised and strangely glad. "I'd feared a worse answer given I did know," she admits frankly as she begins pouring her tea, raising a silent brow with a slight perk of her lips towards Isla to determine if her own cup is ready so she might pour the Remedy's next. "I admit it did sting to have it be assumed I would take your place - or any romantic place - in Sunjata's life." And, were she not so understanding of Isla's perspective, she might have been crueler. But Sunjata is easy to fall for, and Hotaru cannot begrudge her any excuse to extricate herself from unreciprocated feelings. The Valkyrie had merely been the perfect catalyst. "But I cannot say that having his friendship in my days again hasn't been one of the reasons for my happiness." Unaware that Isla knows exactly how she feels.
come what may
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

"That sounds like a toast worth making," Isla says with an easy smile, preparing her tea with only one cube of sugar - once upon a time when she'd been just a person - not an Ascended too efficient to feel, not an Ancient still high on her own five senses - she'd taken her tea without any additions, but the kick of sweetness isn't worth denying herself for the time being.

Humming soft agreement with the other woman and holding out her cup for Hotaru to pour, Isla wonders how much the Valkyrie already knows or whether it's going to be a whole storytime about it. She's well aware that she and Remi are already acquainted, at least. "Things were dire for a while, admittedly, but I've recently rekindled a friendship with Remi - not something I ever expected would happen."

And her cheer about that is a large part of why there's very little hurt in her expression as Hotaru speaks next; indeed, it's mostly confusion that clouds Isla's features. "I'm so sorry," she murmurs, lowering her teacup. "I only assumed from what Sunjata said. He told me the two of you had rekindled your friendship, and... well, that you were going to see where it goes." It's true that there's been some element of putting two and two together, but that particular phrase in that particular context has rarely come up with anything but four.

"And of course, when he spoke about separating the office space and the bedrooms..." she shrugs softly. "I wouldn't have left if it hadn't seemed so clear. I admit I was protecting my own feelings, but I didn't want to become some resentful presence in a friend's life." As someone who has just freely admitted to having enjoyed said friendship with Sunjata, Isla hopes she can understand. "How is he, anyway? I was going to write to him soon."
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Remi is not the name she expects to hear, and surprise and delight both sneak through the placid control of her expression. Not that it disrupts the steadiness of her hands as she pours Isla's cup, setting the kettle to the side to intertwine her hands above her own cup, too intrigued to focus on drinking just yet. "Truly? I'm sure you don't need my input but that's wonderful. I'm very happy for you both." They'd been nothing but friends once, before the twins, and even after they'd been close - but the war, and their shared need for isolation, had changed things greatly. Still, Hotaru would never want anything but happiness for Remi, and Isla had always been a key part of that.

Remembering herself with a start, Hotaru lifts her teacup and extends it halfway over the table with a beautiful smile. "But before we forget, our toast. To better seasons." Seasons they seem well on their way to living.

Hotaru isn't aware how much she wanted an apology until it's given, though she does playfully scoff a laugh as she reclines into her seat. "Someone needs to craft a translator for that man; his intentions and statements rarely match up." Though it's clear by her fond tone that Hotaru is quite used to that now. "We truly are just rekindling our friendship. I had a little more support after the war, and I want to help him heal the way I have - even if I am far from finished myself." And here she smiles wryly. "Precisely why I don't think a relationship would be a good decision here and now." In the future? Well, Hotaru has gotten too used to Caido throwing various wrenches to plan for things like that. She may very well eat her words.

Quite like her daughter with the ease of physical contact, Hotaru reaches out to gently touch her fingertips to the back of Isla's hand. "Regardless, I respect the difficult decision you made to protect your own heart." She doesn't linger physically however, aware they are still strangers and not wanting to impose on Isla's unknown boundaries. "Sunjata is better than I have seen him in a long time. We went to Frey's Breath recently and contented ourselves with childish stupidity." Splashing, tussling, dramatics. Hotaru can't help an endeared smile to remember it. "It was good to see him smile so freely. But he did express he was uncertain if you were still friends." A break in trust she feels is warranted if it means Isla can remedy that situation. (Hah)
come what may
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

The delight on Hotaru's face is contagious, and given that Isla has barely been holding back her own happiness, she lets it infect her features accordingly. "Thank you," she says, and she means it. "As you can imagine was the case for all the Ascended, the end of the war wasn't kind to us. When I say I lost everything, it isn't hyperbole. So to have something to look forward to..." She shakes her head; it's invaluable, and she doubts she needs to say that aloud.

Ah, but their toast. Raising her cup and reaching across the table to meet Hotaru halfway, Isla clinks the porcelain together with a satisfying chime. "And to rekindled friendships," she adds, especially now that things are becoming a little more clear between the two women.

Sipping at her tea (being an Ancient means not having to wait for it to cool), she smiles over her cup at the other woman. "You're telling me," she chirps. "I said I was happy for the two of you back at the House of Midnight, and I meant it even then. Friendship or otherwise, life is far too short not to enjoy it."

Alas, it's also why she had to leave, and though the Ancient isn't renowned for being touchy-feely, she appreciates the contact nevertheless. "I think it was a perfect storm, honestly. It's good to hear that he's doing well, though. I wouldn't want anything less for him." And it's with that sentiment that - as Hotaru may have already predicted - Isla makes a mental note to reaffirm the state of her friendship with the Flood.

"I think it would have been more difficult if not for recent days," she confesses freely. "But it's amazing how you can start to heal, given time and space and good company. I actually have your daughter to thank for some of that as well - she's an incredible young woman."
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
Hotaru

Hotaru can perfectly understand, and though Isla's smile is beautiful her own softens with sorrow. "The only person I had dared to love after Sunjata and Nate was also Ascended, and did not come home from the war. I understand. I think you and I are more alike than we thought." Losing Wessex, Nate, and Enzo had nearly destroyed her, but here they both sit, reclaiming as much lost happiness as they can.

Pleased by the addition to the toast, Hotaru smiles and spins her finger around the outer rim of her cup, using a bit of magic to cool the surface enough to drink. "Exactly, and if anyone knows how short life can be it's us. We deserve to seek out what happiness we can, put away old hurts for the sake of forgiveness." What did grudges matter when they'd already lost so much?

Hotaru shouldn't be surprised Flora is somehow involved in all of this, though she groans fondly and laughs as she sets her cup down. "Incredible, yes, but also even more meddlesome than myself at that age." The girl had 'voted' for Sunjata in Hotaru's list of men to say the least, had invited all of them with their tangled pasts to her grand reopening, and meddled with Isla and Remi alike (though Ru obviously only knows of the former). She couldn't be prouder - and more grateful that she herself has been spared most of the meddling. "I'm glad she has been good to you though. Has she ensnared you to living in Torchline yet?" The plentiful hints of Torchline being better than Halo make Ru think that Flora has become a recruiter quite by accident, though the Valkyrie humorously doubts Flora would actually appreciate living in the same region as her mother, no matter how much Hotaru lets her get away with (or actively supports).
come what may
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Change author:
Isla

"Gods. I'm so sorry for your loss," Isla murmurs, frowning into her tea only for a bittersweet smile to curl at her lips. She nods in agreement. "I think you're right. It's funny, isn't it, how the way things went in the war still feel as though they only happened yesterday." A more modern physician would call that PTSD, but either way, if shared trauma is the foundation for a friendship, so be it.

Inhaling deeply and letting Hotaru's words crystallise in her mind like ice forming across the surface of a lake, Isla vows to make good on that sentiment for perhaps the first time since war's end. "You're a very wise woman, Hotaru," she tells her softly. "I'm glad to know you, even if the initial circumstances were a little embarrassing on my part."

Taking another sip of her tea before setting her cup down, the Valkyrie's smile echoes the fondness in Isla's own expression, and she pauses before answering if only to make room for the finger sandwiches and petit fours as they arrive. "At least you know she's never going to lack excitement in her life," she says with a laugh, as if that's some sort of consolation. "And she certainly makes the place shine. I'd never considered living here before, but as an Ancient, it does make sense." In short: yes, Flora's recruitment drive might just be working.