[SE] The itsy bitsy spider
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Hadama had thought that the worst was over when George and Jude had helped him clean away the cloud spider silk from his cafe. One spider had hidden in the chimney of the oven and had attempted an attack on George before it floated away, but the mermanta had been optimistic that the sea winds had carried it off, never to be seen again.

Alas, sometimes Caido could be cruel.

He had no proof that it was the same spider, of course. But this was the fifth day in a row that he had received a frustrated report from his staff that there was webbing around the oven door that had delayed the cafe's breakfast opening and it was time for him to step in and take a personal hand in it once more.

As the Tide Pool Bar was closing down after the lunch rush Hadama lingered at the wall of glass blocks that separated the dry side from the wet side, leaning against the flat top with an iced coffee at his elbow as he contemplated the nearby kitchen.

The spider had continued to elude them, leaving only fresh webbing behind each night to show where it had been, but today he was determined to capture the little pest and put an end to its reign of inconvenience once and for all.

Everest
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
Everest
Unlike the majority of Caido, from what observations he'd made thus far, Everest was the only one not frustrated by the sudden presence of all the spiders or of their annoying webbing. In fact, he found it a wonderful opportunity to study the effects of a transient species and what was more, the webbing was shockingly strong and light. Unsurprisingly, the aviator had already collected spools and spools of it, and as he walked along the beach, he was collecting as much as he could.

Having picked up a bit of driftwood with which to collect the various bits of webbing that had gotten caught on seashells or torches, Ever hadn't realized how far away from Flora's bar he'd wandered until the sounds of the lunch rush ahead caught his attention. Glancing up, blue eyes wide and a touch disoriented, before he could turn on his heel and return back to Mateo's sister, he spied a large number of shining webs glistening in the afternoon sun. 'Oh dear.' He mumbled politely to himself, before making his way over.

Spying Torchline's mer-king, Everest looked at the spool of spider silks he had with him, suddenly quite sure the mer would assume that he, Everest Hart, had placed the webbing. "I-i-didn't do that." He mumbled quickly, shaking his head for emphasis.
If I told you that you'd do nothing with it
I'd still be that cigarette that you couldn't finish
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Most people were filtering out, but one person was ambling in and Hadama turned his head to watch their approach with curious emerald eyes. The young man was unfamiliar, but Torchline saw many visitors who filtered through the various bars and restaurants throughout Haulani. No, what caught the mermanta's attention was the length of driftwood covered in spider webbing that he carried and the way the human seemed to move so that he took up as little space as possible.

The quietly mumbled protest caused the King to blink in bemusement before he inclined his head. "Indeed," he agreed, trying to imagine how the human would have even managed such a feat. "Are you collecting the webs?"

As the last few customers left their tables the staff moved through the bar, tidying up and shutting down, but no one bothered the young man who was speaking with the cafe's owner.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
Blushing furiously and casting his blue eyes down toward the ground, Everest frowned at his feet. 'Well, I thought that I should.' He mumbled uncertainly, hazarding a glance toward the mermanta while desperately trying to recall anything in his memory that he might have learned about Torchline's expectations when it came to meeting members of their government. Finding nothing, but ever erring on the side of caution, Everest tilted forward from the waist in what looked more like a slow-motion stumble than a bow.

Indeed, having to catch himself with one foot, the aviator straghtening slightly before holding out the driftwood for the King's approval. "If this is considered your resource I would be happy to hand it over. I only thought...well, since everyone seems keen to get rid of it, that I should help. And that's when I noticed how strong and resilient it seemed to be and I thought.." Swallowing, his cheeks still flushed, Ever scratched nervously at his forehead before shrugging.

"Well, I thought it would be a good idea."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
If the King was amused he hid it well behind a mask of serene solemnity, though his emerald eyes sparkled as the young man rose from his bow and extended the web-covered stick. "You are welcome to it," he assured him gravely after inspecting it. "There is enough for everyone." More than enough, and it was a resource that was not diminishing as swiftly as some might hope.

Since the blushing human had bowed to him introductions on his part might be superfluous, but the mermanta also chose to err on the side of caution and he inclined his head to the web-collector respectfully. "I am Hadama." He paused a moment, considering what had just been said and when he spoke again his question was slow and measured, as if trying to decide how to phrase his curiosity. "Hmm... Do you think there is a use for it?" He had only seen it as a nuisance to be cleaned up, but he was open to another perspective on the problem.

Or was it a boon in disguise?
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'Mmm, my thanks, your..Kingness." Blanking a touch on how royal titles were meant to be said, the aviator flushes anew as he straightens. "Of course you are. Hadama of the Seas. Tidebreaker and King of Torchline." Ever fills in, seeming all the more calm for this small recitation of knowledge.

"Oh!" Realizing belatedly that he was meant to mirror this introduction, Everest wiped a hand on his sweater to rid it of any lingering spiderweb filaments, before holding it out. "I'm Everest Hart."

As for the webbing?

Tilting his head slightly Ever leans the wood against his leg so that he could unwind a bit of the silk. Stretching it and pulling it tight, he might several twing twing twing! sounds with it as the tension sung out from his fingertips. "It's remarkably strong for how thin it is. It would make excellent netting and could ever replace some of the thicker cables we use on the skyships. Or...anything else rope is used for, I suppose."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
'Your Kingness' was a new one to Hadama, and the merman blinked as he absorbed the title with silent bemusement. He didn't miss how uncomfortable the young man looked, however, and after a moment's contemplation he made no attempt to change the sobriquet. He only inclined his head in acknowledgment of the listing of titles that followed and the composure it helped to return to his guest.

"It is nice to meet you, Everest Hart," he said with solemn sincerity, emerald eyes twinkling as he extended a hand as well. There was no removing the webbing from his hand, but though they were damp his fingers were firm and gentle as they closed around Everest's in a brief, welcoming grip.

He watched as the young man demonstrated the webbing's properties and green eyes gleamed with interest at the mention of netting. "Hmm. That could be very useful. If you find a way to weave it so it does not stick to everything, I would trade you for the technique." In whatever barter was useful to the young artificer. "If it does not dissolve in--" He broke off as a pale skittering motion caught the corner of his eye and he turned his head sharply to spy the industrious spider as it descended from the thatched roof of the cabana and scampered down the outside of the oven's chimney, already beginning to lay a trail of webbing behind it.
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
If he felt any discomfort at all in the webbing or the wetness, Everest gave no indication. (In reality, it was simply being touched that he disliked; that the touch was webbed or wet hardly factored in). Brightening, the aviator raises his gaze and considers for a moment before nodding emphatically. "No trade would be required. I would happily offer you the knowledge on behalf of Stormbreak." Ever said, trying to sound diplomatic but having no way to tell how successful he was or wasn't being but for the ringing in his ears.

Turning just after Hadama and following the King's gaze, the aviator tilted his head in a gesture that was both avian and canine in its curiosity. This was not a bar he was familiar with, nor was this his home, and so despite the way both of his shifts were eager to trail after the creature, he remained where he was. "Stormbreak has them too. I thought perhaps we'd be spared given how high we are, but.." He shrugs to indicate that no, they had not been spared.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama considered Everest's swift generosity for a moment and then inclined his head deeply in respect for it. "Then Torchline would be grateful to Stormbreak." His low voice warmed at the offer, and when he raised his head again his expression was more serene than stoic. He would have to let Soh know about this particular citizen of hers, and how he had impressed the Tidebreaker with his kindness.

Before he could finish his thought about the webbing he was distracted by the quarry he'd been lying in wait for and he straightened as he watched it, emerald eyes narrowing in concentration. The spider was on the larger side for its species, and Hadama began to slowly swim along the bar counter towards the spiraling kitchen and the oven it contained. "Mmn. I have heard reports from the highest islands of Haulani, too," he agreed, though Torchline's raised residences weren't nearly as high in the sky as Stormbreak. "This one needs to be removed from the cafe. It is causing problems for the staff," he added in explanation of the situation.

He stopped a few feet away from the arachnid as the spider busily began another thick thread of webbing across the oven door, and after several long moments of thought he looked from the spider to Everest and back again, mind working slowly towards a possible solution to his problem and a way to help the young man with his research into the silk's properties. "Would it be useful to you as a source of silk?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"Oh." Everest hummed politely before his mind was able to supply the necessary imagination needed to understand what sorts of difficulties the spider might be providing in a kitchen. 'I can imagine.' He says rather literally.

Watching the spider sneak along, leaving bounds of webbing in its wake, the aviator swallows against the urge to shift and give chase. Raising his eyebrows in response to the King's question, Ever's blue eyes narrow thoughtfully as he considers. "I do have a friend who is quite good at caring for animals. She might be able to tell me how best to look after it." He muses, of course thinking of Lena. "So you have some sort of container I could keep it in so that I can safely transport it back to Stormbreak?"
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama waited with quiet patience while Everest considered his suggestion, the mermanta watching the spider in its stubborn rebuilding of its web that had been torn down anew every morning so the breakfast cook could use the oven. There was something admirable about its refusal to give up even in the face of insurmountable odds, but if the young innovator from Stormbreak couldn't make use of the creature Hadama had already steeled himself to put a permanent end to it.

Luckily Everest was interested; or at least, willing to try. It was the mermanta's turn to think for a moment before nodding and swimming into the wet half of the little cooking area. "I do." He reached up into one of the low cabinets to retrieve an empty glass jar with a metal lid that had once been destined to hold jam. Now, it would hold something far more leggy.

The careful wielding of a small paring knife resulted in several small holes poked in the jar's lid and then Hadama turned his attention back to the spider, which had paused at his nearness, all eight eyes turned towards the large, dark, moving mountain that approached it. It started to turn, preparing to fling webbing at the potential predator--

Emerald eyes gleaming, Hadama called forth a tiny storm, the localized winds and small cloud that formed above the spider forcing it to cling to its webbing or risk being blown away by its own bulbous abdomen. Its moment of distraction was enough for Hadama to reach in with swift, deft fingers, scooping it into the jar and twisting the lid firmly shut. As the storm dissipated he offered the stunned arachnid to Everest with a grateful nod. "Will this work?"
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Finding something infinitely endearing about the fact that Hadama, King of the merfolk and Torchline, had remembered enough to poke holes for the spider however adversarial it was to his establishment, filled Everest with a sense of relief and safety that had his shoulders sliding slowly down and away from his ears.

Raising his eyebrows however as a storm appeared, all thoughts of safety disappeared as he held his breath. It seemed distraction rather than destruction was the King's aim, and soon the small creature was enclosed within the jar. 'I...I think so, yes.' He agreed a touch stiffly, reaching out for the jar and peeping into it to ensure that there were no hidden storms within the glass.

"I should go then. I wouldn't want it to have to remain enclosed for very long. But thank you very much, and if I find out a way to make the webbing at all workable, Torchline shall be the first to hear of it." Ever promises, offering Hadama a small smile before picking up the bit of driftwood. 'A pleasure to meet you.' He adds quickly, before setting off back the way he'd come toward Flora's tavern and the small skyship parked nearby.

~FIN
even if i had to lose you to know you,
i'd still be that temporary phase that you grow through