deep dive
Open!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe

Phoebe had yet to explore all the new places that had spawned in the Greatwood in the wake of the war. That was what brought her to the sunken gardens - genuine curiosity. The weather was cool but that didn't stop her from preparing for a dip into the waters. Swimming still wasn't her strong suit, but she was much more confident in it now, having lived in Torchline for so long.

And she supposed Sunjata had helped too.

As she stood on the shore she set down a towel and removed her light dress to reveal a swimming suit. Slowly she waded into the waters, taking small steps to allow herself to get used to the tepid temperatures. Once she was a little more than waist deep, she took a deep breath and ducked under the water, eyes wide open to behold the beauty of the gardens beneath.
i'll make it feel like a vacay
turn the bed into the ocean
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
Though he'd had little time for it lately, Hadama continued his work with the Ringing Algae, attempting to train it to grow in saltier and saltier waters in the Estuary. It was a slow process, however, and he sometimes returned to the Sunken Gardens to study the original colonies from which he'd selected his initial specimens.

Normally the Gardens were empty when he Aquaported into their cool, deep waters. Today, however, he was surprised to find company in the green stillness beneath the surface, though his face remained stoic as ever.

Phoebe, he called in greeting through the Attuned bond - uncertain if the demigoddess could hear him, but losing nothing by trying. Well met. He swam closer to be sure she could see him in the shadows of the verdant plant growth above, moving slowly so as not to startle the Greatwood's mistress and offering a polite nod of his head in case his words did not reach her.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe

The garden was beautiful, at least what she could make out of it. Leafchange was not as sunny as other seasons, thus making it a bit harder to see as her eyes adjusted to the underwater landscape. Even then, eyes like hers weren't made for seeing under water. Perhaps she should have brought some goggles she thought in hindsight.

But she was surprised to hear her name as she squatted on the floor of the river. Her head whipped around, mermaid (ha) length hair obfuscating her view even more for a moment. Then a familiar shape came into view. "Hadama!" she said over the attuned bond, surprised to see the king so far from his home.

But her lungs were already straining, and she looked around to spot an air bubble. She stuck her head into it and smiled at the mermanta, now able to see him more clearly and breathe. "What brings you to the Greatwood?"
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Given his recent difficulty communicating with Koa underwater, it was a relief when Phoebe answered him clearly through the Bond. He swam closer once she'd recognized him, steely hair streaming behind him and mostly held out of his face by a silver circlet, but before he could offer the water-breathing capabilities of his Ring she had found a more versatile alternative.

Albeit one which had a rather uncomfortable side effect, at least according to Evie when she had helped him test it out.

That algae, he answered her query, nodding to the colony of bubbles and green plantlife that thrived in the Sunken Gardens. I would like to make a variety that will grow in saltwater. As an alternative to manta crystals for human visitors to the Underwater City. He bowed his head to the expertise of Frey's demigoddess as they floated in the brisk waters of the Symphony. Do you have any recommendations?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

It was a little claustrophobic in the bubble, Phoebe would admit that. But it worked so she went with it. She curled her legs under her, gripping some underwater grasses to keep from floating up with the bubble. The Nightingale peered at the algae, considering Hadama's question. She was no plant expert, but in a previous life, she had been known to experiment with cells and such.

"Well, a few things come to mind." she said thoughtfully. "I would find a similar algae in the saltwater and compare its cellular structure to that of this algae, then try to alter it to be condusive to saltwater." she started with. Though that seemed rather hard. She wasn't even quite sure how it would be done. "Or cross breed the algaes until you have a strain that possesses the qualities you want."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The mermanta blinked but listened politely to the demigoddess's talk of 'cellular structures;' the concept was one that the Merfolk had missed out on. Microscopes and saltwater tended not to mix well, but even if they had, Hadama had spent his younger years as an apprentice sea smith, not a medic or biologist. He trusted to Phoebe's greater knowledge in that sphere, but the technical jargon flew over his head.

Her second suggestion made a great deal more sense, however. He was no agriculturalist, but he recognized the terms and it gave him a direction to try. Thank you. I will ask my algae farmers which of our breeds would be best. They would also likely have better suggestions for improving the process. It was a simple answer, but one he'd overlooked in his habit of trying to do everything himself.

What brings you into the waters today? he asked, emerald eyes gleaming with good humor at being able to finally return the question to his hostess.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe could tell that her talk of cell structures went right over his head. So in an effort to reach some mutual understanding she added. "Everything in the world is made up of these tiny things I call cells. Frey showed them to me and I used to study them. I have a device that allows you to see them. Sometime I can show you?" she offered.

"You're welcome." she said brightly, happy to hear at least one suggestion made sense. "If you need any of our algae just send me a message. I will make sure it gets to you." she added. Hadama was a ruler, and therefore busy. He shouldn't have to source the plants himself when she had her own people that would be willing to help.

As for her intentions for her swim - or rather squat - she smiled. "Curiosity. I've not visited here before. I'm sure you can tell, but I am not the strongest of swimmers."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He listened with solemn courtesy, and though he still didn't truly understand her, he inclined his head in gratitude for her offer. I would like that, he agreed. Perhaps seeing these cells she spoke of would make them seem more real, and he was always curious about landwalker devices and the interesting things they were capable of.

Her second offer of an algae delivery was met with quiet relief and his stoic expression eased as he nodded again. It would help to have some in Torchline as well, he agreed. So far his experiments had been limited to the Saltkiss Estuary in the Greatwood; his Aquaportation could move himself and small items, but not other living things - at least, not people or animals. Thank you.

Curiosity? That was something the mermanta could understand, and a sense of appreciation ebbed into the Bond. Sometimes no other reason was needed, but he could at least use his magic to reach out and calm the currents around them so that Phoebe was no longer in danger of being swept away.

And he had a measure of his own curiosity for the Greatwood's mistress in this rare chance to tread water and chat without any trial or time limit pressing down upon them. May I ask you some questions about yourself, and what it is like to be a demigod?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe smiled brightly, glad he was taking her up on her offer. It had been some time since she had shown off her little tools and trinkets. It would be fun! "I'll send a message when I have everything gathered and we will set up a time and date." she said, willing to take the lead on this.

"I will make sure you get what you need then." she said with a nod...which had unfortunate consequences. The bubble popped, and she quickly had a mouthful of water. Panic set in briefly but she stood and soon her head was out of the water. She coughed and spluttered, clearing the water from her lungs. How embarrassing, nearly drowning in front of the merfolk king! But she put that aside, took another deep breath once her lungs calmed, and sat back down in the water. "Sorry..." she said sheepishly through the bond.

She felt the current slow and though she was unsure what had caused it, she was greatful for it. As for answering questions? "Of course! Ask away."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama nodded contentedly to both the plan for a future meeting and the trade of algae; it was something to look forward to in the near future, and perhaps they could speak of their respective lands at that time as well. Today, however, it was nice to be simply two friends meeting by chance and enjoying one of the last pleasant days before the season changed.

Unfortunately the calm serenity of the Garden was broken along with Phoebe's bubble and he swam forward to assist--

But the young woman had things well in hand and he tilted his head at her, a small pulse of relief passing through the bond. I will stay close, he offered, moving within a few feet of her and extending his hand to show her the magic ring he wore. It allows humans to breathe underwater within ten feet of me. No friend of his would drown while he was near, and it opened the way for the questions that had been on his mind since his last meeting with Safrin.

What is it like? he asked, first and perhaps most importantly. And how has it changed you?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

Phoebe looked at the ring curiously, a little nervous to test it out. But already her lungs were straining and she felt she had no choice but to trust that what he said was true. She released her breath, then carefully breathed in. Instead of a mouthful of water, she simple got a mouthful of air, and she grinned in delight. "That's a neat little trinket you have." she said with a smile.

His questions had her thinking. "Well, I am at the beck and call of Frey, and must follow their guidance in ways I hadn't before." she said. "I had wanted to join the other demigods in the war effort because of my healing abilities, but Frey bid I stay in the sanctuary." she said by way of example.

"I wouldn't say it's changed me much...though I feel free-er. I am less concerned about others perceptions of me and the way I dress...perhaps it is because Frey is my parent god and they themselves have no shame." she said with a smile. "But I am still the same old me."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
A gift from Safrin, he said by way of explanation. For helping to bring humans and Mer closer together. A reward for extending a waterway from the canals beneath the Court of Stars to reach the Healing Fountain within, so Merfolk could partake of its waters as well.

She breathed the waters of the Symphony in safely and Hadama was quietly glad to see her relax now that she was in no danger of drowning. He relaxed a little himself, and turned his mind to voice the questions of the demigoddess that had recently begun to weigh on his mind.

Her answers were forthright and thoughtful, and the mermanta listened politely and with a serious consideration for each word that passed through the bond. When she finished he floated beside her in silence for a little while, thinking deeply about what she had said before he spoke again, his mental words forming slowly but with careful deliberation. Thank you. Is there anything you regret about becoming a demigod? Or anything you would change?
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe

"It was well earned then, I see." she said with a smile. Safrin did not hand out gifts lightly, at least that was her perception.

His next questions were trickier to answer, and far more personal she felt. She pulled her legs up to her chest so she resembled a ball as she thought. "It is hard to regret something you didn't choose. I think most of the demigods were chosen and created by the gods, not asked for or agreed to." she said. Her case was no different.

A slight frown curved her lips. "It has affected my relationships...mostly negatively. Had I not become a demigoddess Harper and I might still be together after all. But such is the nature of change - alter one thing and a ripple effect follows."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Emerald eyes sparkled at the Hightingale's kind words, and Hadama inclined his head deeply in acceptance of them.

Hadama waited, patient and quiet, for Phoebe to answer - or not, if she chose - as he floated nearby, enjoying the quiet peace of the Sunken Gardens. When she spoke again his attention returned to her, and though her initial words struck an intense curiosity in him her closed posture made him hesitant to ask for more personal details.

Especially when she continued, sharing a downside he had not foreseen. His serene expression became more solemn as the gravity of her words sank in, and he hesitated for more long moments before he spoke again. You do not need to share details if they are too painful but... may I ask how it has been negative? He was interested in the general sense of what the repercussions of being a demigod were, but not if speaking of them caused his hostess discomfort.