[se] he looks up grinning like a devil
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
flora

So...you can't really meet cute more than once, especially when, like, the majority of your meetings have been spent fighting or fucking. But, rules were of course made to be broken.

Whether or not we might characterize Flora as lurking outside of the Dragoon's HQ probably isn't worth the argument (even though she absolutely had been for the better part of an hour). Knowing that Koa would inevitably come out at some point for lunch as he often did, the girl had wandered about, invisibly of course, for the soldier to appear so that she could adorably bump into him, gaze into his dreamy copper eyes, and graciously accept him buying her lunch as an apology for knocking into her.

Dressed in such a way as to seem like she'd just tugged on a sweater and some leggings and knotted her hair into a quick braid, Flora had in fact meticulously picked out her outfit for today so as to both be cute, but also underdressed for the weather so that Koa would have reason to wrap his arms around her or perhaps even give her his jacket.

Honestly, this was going to work out super well, if only Koa would leave his fucking office.
i scream for whatever it's worth
"i love you" ain't that the worst thing you've ever heard?
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
I couldn't utter my love when it counted
Ah, but I'm singing like a bird 'bout it now
It is fortunate for Flora that Koa is a creature of habit, as otherwise the young woman might have been waiting far longer than an hour. But a lunch break is part of the careful routine that the Dragoon has been trying to maintain, the regimen he's fostered in order to keep intrusive thoughts at bay.

Ever since returning from his prolonged deployment to Torchline Koa has been all but living in his office, long days of work pushing into late nights of boxing, resulting in early mornings of fitful sleep, his long body sprawled on the office couch until sunlight and hunger have him grumbling awake and back into the loop. It means he's tired and a little bit grumpy, but it's also good to have routine. The young man doesn't do well in chaos - though an argument could very well be made he's gone too far toward order, now.

But living in an office means that the young man can't much cook, so early afternoons see him emerging from his cave in search of food. He wears a long woolen coat, Pipsqueak a scarf against the early Deepfrost chill as they wander toward the gates. He's a bit of a mess if we're being honest, with stubble on his cheeks and bags under his eyes. One hand scratches absently at Pipsqueak's chin as he pauses outside the gates of the Nest, trying to decide what sort of quick bite to grab before disappearing back into his cave. The other is still slung close against his chest, his left arm not yet fully healed after his disastrous dip into the waters of the Stonesong.
Koa
And I couldn't whisper when you needed it shouted
totally sniped from odd ilu
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
flora

Like a dance that's been both well-choreographed and practiced daily, Flora slips into the path of the dragoon with her breath held and her steps soft. No doubt Koa's companion would be able to smell her coming, but given that they weren't out patrolling or sneaking anywhere, she hoped the dragon wouldn't really be on guard. Besides, if she was...well, so what?

"Oof!" Flora purrs as she nudges AcCiDenTaLlY into the dragoon, after having only just twisted her invisibility ring into its off position. It's his right side she aims for, having noticed the way he kept his left tucked against his chest in a clear demonstration of I have a booboo, though she does her best not to upset the dragon slung around his shoulders. "Wh-oh? Koa?" Flora's aqua eyes blink with practiced surprise, as the rosebud O of her lips gradually smoothes out into a smile. "Hey. I guess I must not have seen you."

Lifting her chin and brushing back her hair, the epitome of fresh-faced and effortlessly cute, a bit of the Doubletake's sunshine fades as she properly looks at the man before her. "Hey, you okay?" She wonders doubtfully, looking from the bags under his eyes to the less than golden colour of his complexion.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Let's give Pipsqueak appropriate credit: she is way too invested in sniffing out potential meals to notice or care about Flora's invisible approach. Koa is usually the more vigilant of the pair, and this vigilance heightens his alarm at the bump on his shoulder, the young man having had no inkling that anyone might be near. Wounded, distracted, overworked, the lad's a little edgy. Copper eyes widen as he side-steps automatically, tension pulling at his bones as a soldier's training kicks in.

It eases considerably as he recognizes the interloper, alarm replaced by bemusement and heat on his neck. "Flora?" What's she doing here? And how did she...? Wry suspicion tugs his brows together, Koa's gaze sweeping over Flora's expertly constructed appearance, the blonde braid and too-light sweater, the rings upon her slender hands. Meeting her aqua eyes again, his lips quirk in a smirk. "I didn't see you, either. And yet we still managed to bump into each other." His smile widens into a grin, eyebrows raised suggestively. "Must be fate."

The bravado flags at her concern, smile twisting into a wince. "That bad, huh?" the boy asks ruefully, running his hand self-consciously through his hair. He hasn't looked in a mirror today, not purposefully, but the picture wouldn't have been a pretty one. Or rather, it wouldn't have been as pretty as usual - ya boi is still hawt.

Pip shifts over to Koa's left shoulder, eyeing Flora warily. The boy ignores her, his hand now rubbing against the back of his neck. "Lots to catch up on since I got back from Torchline," he shrugs, raising his slung left arm. "And I've not managed to hunt down a healer yet, so we're playing on hard mode." The joke comes easy, but beneath the lightness the Dragoon is weary, his usual sparkle visibly dulled. But he rallies, masking exhaustion with affected bravado and real pleasure as his focus shifts back onto Flora. "What brings you all the way out here? Visiting Mateo?" Or me? his teasing expression wonders, though he dares not ask aloud.
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Must be." Flora beams in agreement, her smile growing so wide that it pulled her lips into a tight crescent she was helpless to control. "Yeah, but you're still cute." The Doubletake purrs, reaching out and straightening the collar of his peacoat needlessly. She couldn't help the way she just wanted to touch him, fully clothed and looking worse for wear though he was; settling for his coat would have to do. For now. Gods but she was jealous of the way he ruffled his fingers through his hair.

Glancing down at his arm and also ignoring Pip for now, Flora coos theatrically under her breath as if Koa was being the biggest and bravest soldier that ever there was, all while injured. Really though, wasn't he? From what she recalled of the dragoons in the past, many of them were lazy undisciplined babies, and while it likely said much more about her daddy issues than anything else, Flora thought it was incredibly attractive that Koa was willing to push through the pain and do what needed to be done. "What happened?"

Laughing under her breath, Flora shifts to Koa's right side in order to slip her arm through his. "If anyone should be visiting Mateo, it should be you. He has our nonna's fingers on a necklace that can heal." This is said as if keeping bits of your extended family on your person at all times is the norm. As for his actual question? Flora merely glances over her shoulder with the edge of her lip between her teeth. 'Wanna grab lunch? My treat.'
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Her smile is sunshine, a bright balm on his weary mind, and it takes a great deal of self control for Koa to not reach up and capture her chin, her lips, to capture that warmth for himself. Copper eyes crinkle with crows feet as she adjusts his collar, and though a small part warns him it's all for show, the rest of him tells it to hush.

He follows her gaze down to the slung arm, lips twisting wryly. "Fought a river," is the not entirely untrue answer. "Don't worry, I won."

Ok, so that part's a lie.

Koa's eyes dance with pleasure as Flora slips her arm into his, warmth blooming at the contact, the way her perfume smells like a summer breeze. And maybe he pulls her a little closer than strictly necessary, but so what? "Right, I forgot about those," the Dragoon admits with a laugh. He's long since stopped being phased by Mateo's oddities; his grandma's fingers on a necklace just kind of makes sense.

As for lunch? The smile falters, Koa's eyes darting past Flora, back to the gates of the Nest. There's so much work still to do; he hadn't planned to take a long lunch at all, had intended to grab something quick and bring it back into his cave, like the gremlin he's become. But here's Flora like a breath of fresh air, peering at him from behind that blonde fringe, and Koa feels his resolve collapse beneath the force of those aqua eyes. "I suppose if you're buying," he acquiesces, cheeks dimpling in a grin.

It's nice, this fragile peace they're sharing after so many years at war. And all it took was a good public fuck. Whod've thunk?
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"A river?" It's a ridiculous thing to say, which is precisely why Flora nods so immediately in understanding. Probably she and Koa could yes-and themselves right into oblivion, but it hadn't gotten them into too much trouble yet, had it? "Rivers can be so tricky." She agrees. "I grew up right by one." Thus making her an expert, and rendering her nod of approval all the more justified. "Well, you really should see Mateo." Flora says, not wanting to sound too concerned for fear that her worry might across a bit too mom-like (and whatever fetishes Koa might have had, that wasn't one the girl was really up for exploring).

Trying not to think absurd thoughts like how perfectly tall Koa was compared to her, or how good he managed to smell despite the fact it also smelled like he hadn't showered yet today—and gods what if she could suggest they do that instead of lunch? it could also be her treat—the Doubletake had to blink herself back into the moment.

Just in time to hear him agree, conveniently enough. "Perfect. I've just heard about a new place I've been dying to try. And we can pick up some stuff for LongNight along the way." Though Flora falls in stride next to Koa, it's only because she's actively matching the length of his strides so that they don't bounce out of sync. It's one of those subtle things she hopes makes her unconsciously more appealing, and if nothing else, it makes it easier to keep herself pressed neatly at his side.

"I guess you'll be working LongNight, huh?"
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
"Yes ma'am," Koa replies wryly, lips curling into a playful smirk. He's a little bit touched by his concern, honestly, especially given the last time they'd met in Stormbreak she'd all but threatened to stab him to death. His left arm shifts in closer, a calloused thumb ghosting over her knuckles, appreciation and reassurance in the gesture, vulnerability he dare not voice aloud. He'd missed her friendship, he realizes, missed the halcyon days of their early flirtations, before he fucked it all to hell.

"Lead the way." He settles into stride beside her, trying to match the length of her steps, blissfully oblivious to the fact that she's doing the same for him. The result is a brief unwieldly shuffle followed by a comfortable, balanced gait, the young man marveling slightly at how well their bodies seem to click.

Which, given their recent (s)e(x)capades, is it really a surprise?

A soft hum of confirmation when she asks about LongNight, the young man's expression fading once again. "Most of it," he confirms, gaze turning back to the street ahead of them, a furrow working between his brow. "We try to keep a few patrols out, in case the parties get out of hand." A laugh, but there's wistfulness in his voice, as though he would much rather be part of said parties than the one breaking them up.

A gentle tug as he leads her down a side street, toward a pop-up marketplace full of candles, clothing, jewelry, and any other odd or end one could possibly want. "What about you? How will you be spending the week? Living it up at the beach?" Lower lip sucked into his teeth, he tries not to sound petulant - but man, the FOMO is real.
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

This was, you know, totally casual. Two friends who occasionally fucked just, like, randomly meeting up. The seamless way she fit against him and the fact that his fingers had brushed over her hand meant nothing. Nothing, okay? And if Flora's heart was pitter-pattering in her chest that was...probably just from her coffee that morning. No big deal.

"Happily." Flora agrees easily, clearing her throat and wondering if perhaps she'd put on just a smidge too much lipgloss.

'Ahh.' Trying to sound crisp (like a brisk autumn afternoon) in her (feigned) indifference, the Doubletake nods sagely as she steers them along. "I guess that makes sense. This year maybe more with Safrin gone leading up to it. It just...I dunno, feels darker, you know?" Whether or not that made sense Flora wasn't entirely sure, but it felt right to her. "Guess that means no parties for you, huh?" She asks playfully, nudging his hip with her own while she flashes a smile up at him. Gods, he really was the perfect height, wasn't he?

Pretending to stumble as he tugs her if only so that she could playfully bounce off of him, Flora's gaze widens in mock outrage. "Just like a man, saying I could lead and then changing his mind." She says, and though she's loathe to admit she has them, the dimples that almost always encapsulate her brother and her father's smile carve themselves onto her cheeks as well. "Yeah, probably." She agrees, of spending LongNight on the beach.

"We light a bunch of extra lanterns and the bioluminescent things in the water actually make it pretty bright. It's like, one long party."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
"It does," Koa agrees solemnly, not especially wanting to dwell on the implications of Safrin's absence. Much easier to stay in the bright sunshine of this moment, the way Flora's voice eases some of that weary weight from off his chest. What horrors may come in a night without stars, what new sort of danger the darkness will bring... well, that's a problem for future Koa, the one who sleeps in his office and pours over papers and may never not have bags under his eyes.

The stumble is a wonderful distraction, forcing Koa (obviously) to pull her closer against his side. For stability and all - no ulterior motives related to the pleasant warmth that flushes through him when their bodies touch, even through layers of winter clothes. "I know, I'm the worst," is the solemn reply, his chagrin and apology just as affected as her outrage, belied by the twinkling in his copper eyes.

"That sounds pretty epic." The wistful FOMO remains in his voice as he imagines bioluminescent evenings and warm sea air - a far cry from Stormbreak's frigid LongNight. "Maybe Anju will let me split my duty, and I can catch ethe last couple days?" Hopeful puppy-dog eyes are turned down on her, as though Flora has any power over the soldier's schedule. Honestly, he wouldn't put it past her to somehow swing it, though whether by legal or amoral means... well, Koa knows better than to look too close.
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

All but melting against him not as two puzzle pieces might fit together but instead like wet clay—warm and yielding in a way that wanted to blend rather than simply curve around each other's edges—Flora laughs brightly as she gazes up at him, nodding her agreement. "The worst."

Trying and instantly failing in her attempt not to think about her tryst with Jack last Longnight, Flora realizes suddenly that the sting from the captain's lack of approval of her wasn't quite able to bite at her with Koa so close. "Orrrrr, maybe you see some monster coming to attack us. You know, since you're all so high up, and you have to come down and investigate?" Her eyebrows dance up and down with this suggestion, and though it was paper-thin as far as excuses went, it wasn't totally implausible given the world they lived in. "Then again..maybe you get a tip that the infamous Thieves Guild is planning a heist and you have to go under cover to thwart their efforts." Pitched like a film noir in which Koa was of course the dashing male lead who saved the day and got the girl, Flora quite literally twisted his arm as they strolled.

"Besides, there's genuinely sure to be some sort of something that comes out of the water. There almost always is."
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
"I'd have to, really," Koa agrees with a solemn nod that's entirely belied by his crinkling eyes. "It would be against my code to leave the fair citizens of Torchline undefended." Even if said fair citizens could easily hold their own in any fight, as Flora has proven again and again.

The sparkle in his eyes grows even brighter at the idea of an undercover heist, Koa's brows wriggling in mirror of the Doubletake's. "Of course, the tip would have to come from a beautiful damsel who needs my help in protecting her from the nefarious thieves." The way his arm squeezes against hers leaves no question as to whom said damsel might be.

They've come to a stall selling accessories of copper and leather: bound books, trinkets, and most importantly, bracelets. Disentangling himself from Flora (and feeling the absence of her arm against his oh-so-keenly as it's lost), Koa lets himself drift toward the creations, his attention on a rack of leather bands inscribed with various patterns and runes. "I need to get a pair of these for Safrin to enchant," the young man muses, glancing back to his companion with an inviting smile. "Help me choose a set? I trust your taste way more than my own."
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
flora

"Beautiful, huh?" Twisting slightly if only to press herself against him once more, Flora bites at the inside of her lip just in time to hiccup in a breath as Koa clutches her in closer. Gazing up at him, the girl finds herself utterly twitterpated at just how much she likes this. In comparison to the other sorts of men she'd been with, Koa was so young, and this was all so easy and so...so sweet in a way that should have made her cringe, but instead made her toes tingle.

As Koa's attention shifted to the bracelets, the Doubletake took advantage of the space he put between them to shake herself both mentally and physically. Clearing her throat and lifting her chin, the girl took a deep breath before breezing back to Koa's side and gazing down at the bracelets with a scrutinizing gaze. "As you should." She agrees cheekily, before reaching out and picking up a bracelet. Turning it over and over in her hands, Flora presses her thumb along the length of the cord in a way she intended to be suggestive. Of what exactly, she wasn't 100% sure, but she also didn't think it mattered.

"Definitely this one." She murmured, before looking for another and quickly finding it. Reaching down, she plucked a bracelet made out of much darker leather but with much lighter stitching, the contrast of which immediately made the girl think of what colour their limbs were when tangled together. Clearing her throat slightly, she pressed both into Koa's palm. "I think Safrin will appreciate the .. uhm, uniqueness."

Before more could be made of their afternoon, some idiot had the poor sense to try and start a fight nearby which saw Koa apologetically dashing off to do his duty.

~FIN