[SE] say you'll remember me
Open <3
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Liam
And I feel like my castle's crumbling down
And I watch all my bridges burn to the ground
The Saltkiss Estuary had rapidly become one of Liam's favorite places in the Greatwood. It was incredibly biodiverse, for one, and that had been something that he had never been able to fully appreciate in Stormbreak. Oh, sure, the city had its own ecosystems and flora and fauna, but it couldn't hold a candle to this. Besides that, it was beautiful here, even in Deepfrost.

Liam had come to the Estuary to spend some time in nature, even as he had work to do. He'd made his lanterns in Leafchange for his family, of course, but now it was time for a more mundane task: to craft some lighting for his new home, now that the nights came fast and early. It wouldn't be as intricate or special a task, which was why he sought to do it outside, in a place that he could enjoy.

With his materials settled nearby, Liam found a place beneath a tree that was relatively snow-free and began to work.
And you don't want to know me, I will just let you down
You don't wanna know me now
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
At least the smaller streams and rivers in the Greatwood were frozen over this time of year, so Tal didn't have to worry about getting his feet wet as he followed his dragon through the snow-kissed forest. He'd picked up a local delivery, figuring it would be a quick and easy little job, but the recipient hadn't been at home, and the courier was a stickler for making sure his deliveries got into exactly the right hands. Luckily his companion had a ridiculously good nose for a dragon, and she'd snuffled around the doorstep for a while before suddenly trotting off, heading out of the Village and into the trees.

And over the river and through the woods, to grandmother's house the saltkiss estuary they went.

"Delivery for Liam Dawson," Tal called as a man came into view around a thick stand of mangroves. Boreal's assurance through their bond let him know that this was the owner of the scent around the house. Now the courier just had to hope they'd been at the right house!
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Liam
How funny would it have been if they had indeed been at the wrong house, and Boreal had unwittingly led them astray? But alas, we will never know, for it was indeed Liam's house, and the dragon did, in fact, follow the right scent to find its owner.

Liam was checking the blueprints for his lanterns when some noise in the snow drew his attention, and he lifted his head from his work to see a dragon trotting through the woods, a man Liam didn't know following closely behind. Liam was about to return to his work, but then the stranger called out to him, and he looked up in surprise. He hadn't been expecting anyone to be looking for him out here, and he would have thought that any delivery he was due to receive would have simply been left on his doorstep.

So he straightened from where he'd been poring over the designs and nodded. "That's me," he said, setting a stone down on the papers to ensure they didn't blow away in the breeze while he was distracted. "Nice to meet you, er...?"
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Tal straightened a little, flashing Boreal a proud grin and a silent promise of a very large bone later as a reward, then turned back to Liam with an attempt at professionalism. "Seawright. Talyson Seawright," he said crisply. "Courier." And he removed the package from his Bag and offered it to the recipient it had been intended for.

Of course, he had to come closer to do that, and he couldn't help but spy all the materials and the blueprints fluttering beneath their rock. "What're y'makin'?" The question slipped out before he could stop it, and Tal had the grace to look a little sheepish as he realized he was prying into a stranger's business. "I, uh, mean... if y'don't mind me askin', that is," he added hurriedly.

Far less concerned about social niceties than a human should be, Boreal ambled forward to sniff at some of the gathered wood, perhaps contemplating the delightful sort of crunch they might make between powerful jaws.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam
Liam had received quite a bit of mail before, of course, but it was rare for him to receive a package that was hand-delivered. As he took it from Talyson and listened to the man's introduction, he said, "Thank you. I wasn't expecting a personal delivery," he added with a sheepish grin. "Otherwise, I'd have stayed home to make it easier for you. I appreciate you coming all the way into the woods."

He sat the package on the little workbench he'd fashioned for himself. If it was what he thought it was, it was additional supplies that he hadn't expected to arrive today, but that would make his task all the easier. Then the courier asked what he was doing, and he looked up in surprise. It wasn't an unwelcome question, but he hadn't expected the man to stick around now that the package had been delivered. "A lantern," he explained, shifting the package to one side and gesturing towards the papers in an invitation for Talyson to come closer. "Just a simple one, for Longnight."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Huh? Nah, you don't have t'worry about that," the courier said awkwardly, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "It's part o' th'job t'track people down, y'know? An' this wasn't bad at all. Some of th'places we've had to go for deliveries..." He shook his head ruefully, glancing to Boreal in shared commiseration only to spy her eying the sticks with mischief in her dragonish thoughts.

Liam's beckoning gesture made a good cover for Tal to come closer and reach out to rap his companion lightly on her nose. She blinked and looked up at him with wounded innocence that he didn't buy for a heartbeat. He met her eyes and snorted, then looked down at the papers Liam had indicated. "Huh... this's actually pretty cool," he admitted gruffly, admiring the design. "Wonder if I could make one like it... might look good out front of the post office in Torchline." He glanced up at his recent client, nose wrinkling as he tried to find a less rude way to phrase things before he gave up and went for it. "Mind if I copy down some notes on it?"
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam
Liam had to admit to some curiosity. "What's the best place you've had to make a delivery?" he asked conversationally, hoping to divert some of the courier's awkwardness. Talyson reminded Liam of a younger version of himself - not quite comfortable yet in his own skin, uncomfortable with displays of gratitude - and in years past, distraction had worked well to pull Liam from his own awkwardness.

As Tal came closer, the ex-dragoon peered curiously at the dragon. He'd never found one for himself, which had bothered him for a long time. What was a dragoon without their dragon? But in the end, he'd become content in himself and his family. Still, they were a source of intrigue for Liam, magnificent creatures that deserved respect. So it surprised him, perhaps, to see Tal rap the dragon on the nose as he passed by, as though chastising her for something. Perhaps it was better that he didn't know what thoughts had passed behind Boreal's eyes.

The lantern was simple but elegant, just generic enough to be easily customizable. "Well, you've just delivered some extra supplies," he informed the courier. "Why not stick around and make one for yourself? Unless you've other deliveries to make, of course."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal wasn't observant enough to realize what Liam was doing, but that was probably why it helped. The courier rubbed the back of his neck, but it was more a thoughtful gesture than an awkward one as he considered the question. "Um. Can think of a couple worst places," he admitted ruefully. "But 'best'? Uh..." His nose wrinkled as he tried to make a decision, approaching while he thought and rescuing the nice man's lantern supplies from a certain dragon. Who might have looked majestic, but also had the soul of a cheerful goblin rather than a proud reptilian queen of the sky.

"I guess... maybe... Stormbreak?" He didn't sound entirely certain at first, but then his expression lightened a little with wry humor. "I mean, they've got th'best skyship docks, an' it's th'easiest place to find house numbers for deliveries!" Because priorities, that's why!

He was just putting his hand down to his Bag to rummage out a notepad and pencil when Liam's offer caught him by surprise and he paused, blinking. "Really? I mean, thanks! That'd be great! I haven't had much time this year..." His tentative smile was almost - but not quite - shy with gratitude as he eased himself down nearby to study the plans more carefully before selecting some wood to begin constructing his frame. "So, uh... what d'you do, usually? Or d'you make lanterns year-round?" People always needed light at night, after all!
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam
In truth, Liam was just as curious about the worst places Tal had been as he was the best, he was just too polite to ask outright. He grinned as Tal named Stormbreak. "Stormbreak is very ordered, I'll say that," he agreed. "I'm from there, originally. Only moved out here a few seasons ago." He turned an eye back to the lantern designs and began to unpack the supplies. There were a few metal pieces, some glass casings, screws, and other odds and ends that looked like they went... somewhere. He squinted at the blueprints. Ah, well. They'd figure it out.

He was a little surprised that Tal accepted his offer, but pleased nonetheless. It would be nice to have some company for what could have been a tedious task, and he certainly didn't mind sharing the supplies or the time. "I used to be a Dragoon," he said, selecting a few pieces of metal and beginning to lay them out according to the diagrams in front of him. "I retired recently and moved to the Greatwood. I'm not quite sure what I'll do with my time yet. Maybe I'll find my calling in lantern-making," he joked, shooting an easy smile towards the courier.
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Oh yeah?" Tal perked up a bit at hearing that Liam was familiar with the floating city. Well, it hadn't been floating when Liam had lived there, and that thought gave Tal pause. "Huh... guess it's changed a lot since th'War, huh?" He'd barely been there before the War. Only a few times, mostly making deliveries to Ronin in the barracks. "Did y'ever meet th'Super Nova? Er, I guess he was the Huntsman back then..." Or was it the Dark Star? Or the Fallen Star? The man collected sobriquets like some people collected rocks or shells.

Settling in to get to work, Tal kept one eye on his dragon and the other on the plans as he began to roughly assemble his wood and metal. His hands moved deftly, used to working both materials from his sled-building days, and the diagrams weren't too difficult to follow. The frame started to come together under his fingers, glue and clamps supported by small screws and nails keeping it all in shape. "Yeah? What was it like, bein' a Dragoon?" An eager question from the socially awkward younger man as he shot a glance at the Liam that was partly surprised and cautiously admiring.

Boreal took the opportunity to filch a length of metal from his pile, bracing it between her talons and giving it a cautiously contemplative nibble.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam
"Ronin?" Liam asked with a laugh. It was always strange to hear his old friend referred to by his various monikers. He'd always just been Ronin to Liam. "He's an old friend." As for Stormbreak, it certainly had changed, and not all of the changes had been welcome. He often wondered what would become of the city now. "Is Stormbreak well?" he asked the courier. "When I left, they were still leaderless. I hear there's a new leader now, and that the Dragoons are trying to expand their reach."

They settled into work, falling into an easy rhythm of sharing tools and materials. It was quite nice, actually, sitting out in the open, chatting with a new friend, watching the dragon carefully to ensure their supplies remained untouched. "Being a Dragoon was all I knew how to do," Liam said as he continued to work on his lantern. "I loved it. It was a lot of hard work, mind you, but it was good work, making Stormbreak stronger. I liked being on patrol best. Seeing the city, the good and the bad, and working to make it better." Liam laughed. "It sounds idealistic, when you say that out loud," he admitted. "But it's the truth. I felt like I was making a difference. Like I had somewhere I belonged."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Yeah? He's a friend o' mine, too," Tal said proudly, before deflating slightly as he added a hesitant. "I think. Pretty sure at least." Which was to say that the courier wanted to be friends with Ronin, but he wasn't sure if the Super Nova considered him one in return, or if he was genuinely just that nice. He did his best to bury the sudden spike of social anxiety in a flurry of activity as he looked diligently at the instructions while he assembled some more parts.

"Mmmm... yeah, I think so. The observatory place looked kinda fucky th'last time I flew over it, but maybe they're renovatin' it?" Talk of the city was definitely safer and Tal cautiously emerged from his shell again to answer Liam's question. "I dunno much about th'Dragoons, but Soh - I mean, Sohalia, the new Heart - is a friend o' mine. The city's in good hands with her." He warmed up further talking about Sohalia, gesturing with the length of metal in his hand and oblivious to how close he came to losing it as Boreal opened her mouth to chomp on it. She only barely missed it as he swung his arm back in order to slot the piece into the frame, her jaws closing on air. She shook her broad head and then snorted her opinion of the activity, which involved far too little fussing of perfectly lovely nearby dragons.

A look of hunger and understanding flashed across the courier's face at Liam's final words, a yearning that went straight to his heart, and he quickly ducked his head as he pretended to focus on assembling his own lantern, fiddling with the pieces in his fingers as he cleared his throat. "Um. Yeah. I c'n... prob'ly get that," he muttered gruffly. "Doesn't sound so bad, bein' a Dragoon. So uh... can I ask why you left?" He snuck a glance back at his 'host,' nibbling his lip thoughtfully. "I mean, y'seem kinda young for retirement." Never mind that five years ago he would have accepted the explanation without blinking. Now that he was in his mid-twenties, the thirties didn't seem quite so decrepit anymore, and he figured Liam wasn't that much older than him. His phrasing wasn't the most tactful, but he didn't seem immediately aware of how rude he was being.
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam
Liam smiled as Tal proudly claimed Ronin as a friend. Knowing the Supernova, the man probably wouldn't mind a bit, but the courier's quick backpedaling had Liam reaching out to clap the younger man on the shoulder. "Give him my regards, next time you make a delivery," he said, ignoring Tal's discomfort.

Hearing that something had happened to the Observatory had Liam frowning; it hadn't seemed like it was in need of renovation when he'd been there last, but that had been several seasons ago now. Perhaps the new Heart had wanted to make some changes. Or maybe something had happened. He'd need to visit soon, then, to see what had happened. Perhaps Anju would know...

Realizing he'd gotten a bit lost in his own thoughts, he tuned back in to find that Tal knew the Heart personally. While Liam privately thought that the girl was too young to lead effectively, he wasn't about to say as much to the courier, who clearly thought the world of her. Phoebe had shared a little with the ex-dragoon about her son's relationship with the Luminary, and how it had made things a little messy between the two regions. Liam wasn't sure how he should feel. On the one hand, he owed his loyalty to Phoebe now, as he lived here. But on the other... well, he'd always been a Stormbreak man, and it was a difficult habit to give up. "I'm glad to hear it," was all he said aloud. "Stormbreak has had questionable leadership in the past. It deserves some stability. I hope she can provide that."

As for why he'd left, he chuckled humorlessly. "I suppose I am," he admitted. "My family died, when the Ascended attacked Stormbreak." He paused, trying to figure out what to say without going into too much detail, which he'd rather not give. "I stayed for a while after, but my heart wasn't in it anymore. Anju was kind enough to allow me to retire, and here I am."
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Huh? Oh, yeah, I can do that," Tal agreed, Liam's request helping him to shake off his unfounded anxiety that his friendship with someone as cool as Ronin was only one-sided. He continued to chat as he worked on his lantern, assembling the supports with some help from the diagrams Liam had provided and catching the other man up on the state of Stormbreak while did so.

As far as Stormbreak's 'questionable leadership' went, Tal just shrugged noncommittally. He hadn't been traveling outside of Halo much when the Barrier had fallen and the Ascended had spilled forth into the world again, and he'd barely had a dog in the fight when it came down to the War, but he'd heard about what had happened to the Tower. "She'll do great, you'll see," he said staunchly instead, in defense of his friend's leadership qualities.

The glass panes slid into place easily once the framework was in place, and the tip of Tal's tongue stuck out the corner of his mouth as he made sure they were snug without being too tight. He froze at hearing that Liam was a lot more intimately familiar with the Tower's fall than he was, then gave a slow, awkward nod. "Yeah... well. C'n understand that," he muttered, clearing his throat. "'m sorry to hear it, though. Hope it's been better here, at least." Not so many painful memories, he meant to say, but instead the words came out well-meant but clumsily clipped.