Training sibling rivalry
For Koa <3
Noe Carpenter
Engineer-in-training

Age: 19 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Noe
Draw the cat eye sharp enough to kill a man
You did some bad things, but I'm the worst of them
"Are you ready?"

Noe stood in the first good snowfall of the year, her eyes dancing playfully as she regarded the spot where her brother stood, rooted in place. She wore a heavy pink parka and had a scarf slung carelessly around her neck; her long, dark hair flew this way and that on an errant breeze. In one hand, she hefted a packed snowball as though trying to decide where to aim first.

They'd been sitting inside, a little bored, and gotten into a debate about their last snowball fight, which had taken place quite a while ago. It was unclear, you see, who had won their last fight, and even though we all know that Koa won (including Noe), her pride was too great to just agree that he'd won. A challenge had therefore been issued, they'd both suited up, and out into the snow they'd traipsed.

Noe tossed her snowball into the air and caught it, then grinned at Koa. "Go!" And she threw the first snowball, aiming directly at her brother's head.
Sometimes I wonder which one will be your last lie
They say looks can kill and I might try
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
A joy hard-learned in winter was the warming of the bed
You'd shake for minutes there and move your legs
Koa is, inarguably, the king of snowball fights. Or so he likes to crow each winter, cocky and confident as he issues his challenge for anyone who dares to come at him, bro. And each time Noe had answered the call, her stubborn determination admirable in the face of inevitable failure. Maybe if he was a kinder brother Koa would have let her win, but...

Well. Where's the lesson to be learned in that?

But maybe Noe's luck will change this year. Because this year, Koa is operating at a handicap. Equipped with instructions from Safrin and stubborn determination, the Dragoon has decided this will be the perfect opportunity to try out training while remaining in one place. Best case scenario, he gets to increase his gloating a hundred fold. Worst, he eats snow but blames it on the quest, not his own lack of skill. It's a win-win, really, and as Noe raises that first snowball, her brother flashes a feral grin. "Last chance to bow out with your dignity intact."

It's a bold move, Cotton, and one he'll probably regret.

The snowball whizzes past him as he dodges down and leans left, feet still planted on the ground. "Gonna have to do better than that!" the Dragoon taunts back, yeeting a projectil of his own back to where his sister stands.
Koa Carpenter
Wrap the blanket over you and keep your head within
Let your breath heat the air until you'd feel it getting thin
Noe Carpenter
Engineer-in-training

Age: 19 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Noe
There was a rule in the Carpenter household: we don't 'let' after three. Toddler or below? Maybe they'll let you win. But after that? Suck it up, buttercup.

But no matter how many times Noe lost their annual snowball fight (or two, or three), she would still keep coming back for more. Why? Well, because, one day, she was determined that she was going to beat him. And that promise of someday was a siren's song that drew her in, again and again, until she was cold and wet and shivering and promising never again. Until the next time. And on and on it goes.

This time, she really thought she had a shot. After all, Koa was operating at a handicap, stuck in one spot while she was free to dance and sprint and dart around. But for all that, she still let slip a curse as her snowball missed and Koa's flew straight and true to splat against her arm. "Oh, come on!" she yelled, half at him and half at herself, as she ducked for another snowball and flung it towards her brother's head before darting to the left.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The snowball lands, handicapped be damned, and oh, Noe, you aren't living this down anytime soon. Koa lets out a crow of triumph, pumping his fist into the air. "This is why I keep telling you to join me for morning training!" he teases, grinning broadly enough that one might worry it'll cleave his face, his cheeks as curved and crimson-flushed as apples in the fall. A shit-eating grin, it could well be called--

--especially when he does eat shit a minute later, as a snowball thumps square into his face.

"Frey's fucking shitballs that's cold!" the young sputters, swatting frantically at the snow still clinging to his beard. It's a really good shot, too, which catches Koa off guard- turns out he may well need to put in an effort after all. Swiftly he gathers a pile of pre-formed balls, scooping them into his arm and proceeding to pelt them rapid-fire toward where his sister ducks and weaves. There's no way she can avoid them all. There's no way he's going to lose this.

Right?
Koa Carpenter
Noe Carpenter
Engineer-in-training

Change author:
Noe
Noe crowed with joy at her victory, however small and fleeting, and continued to move, hoping to circle around Koa to see if she could get a better angle. She knew he had to stay in one place - did that mean his feet couldn't move at all? If so, she wasn't above pelting him with snow from behind until he gave in. For once, she could prove herself to be the superior snowball fighter!

As Koa began to pelt snowballs her way, Noe was pleasantly surprised by her own ability to duck and weave, avoiding most of the projectiles (even if only by a hair's breadth). In truth, dodging had been what concerned the girl the most. She was reasonably sure of her aim - that was basic physics, after all - but getting out of the way? Well, that was another story.

But alas, she couldn't dodge them all, and one or two snowballs inevitably spattered against her arm or her side, and she squealed as they made contact, a sound somewhere between a shriek and a laugh. She scooped up more snow, and, hopefully from somewhere behind Koa, threw it squarely towards the center of his body.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
The rapid-fire snowballs work as intended, Noe's shrieks confirming hits to Koa's satisfied ears. "Two - one!" he taunts her playfully between pelted snowballs, laughing as his sister squeals and flees.

He's quick but she's clever, darting around behind him when he's determined to stay still. He doesn't realize it, either, having leaned down to gather more ammunition just as she slipped behind his back. By the time he looks up she's all but vanished - that is, until the snowball whumps between his shoulder blades, thrown by an unseen force. "Attacking from behind? Sneak," he calls out, dropping snowballs in his surprise. "Guess that means you've got my number, huh? Not much I can do from here." Slowly Koa raises his arms, not turning back to face his sister.

Perhaps that's because he knows she'd be able to read on his expression what's about to come next.

There's a rustling in the snowbank behind Noe, and then Pipsqueak emerges in a burst of fluff and wings and snow. The latter which she tries to hurl at her human's sister using wings and tail. She chortles and trills delight at the game, not particularly skillful in her onslaught but more than making up for it in enthusiasm. At the same time Koa pivots around, scooping up his own ammunition for what he hopes to be a surprise attack while his sister is distracted by the abominable snow noodle.
Koa Carpenter
Noe Carpenter
Engineer-in-training

Change author:
Noe
Best believe I'm still bejeweled
When I walk in the room, I can still make the whole place shimmer
"I think that makes us tied, dear brother of mine," Noe crowed as her snowball hit squarely between Koa's shoulder blades. Darting behind another snow drift, the girl snickered at her luck. Maybe it was cheating, darting around literally behind her brother's back, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. This was going to be her year: Koa was handicapped by this whole no-movement thing, and she could finally, finally give him a taste of his own medicine -

And then she got a face full of snowy catsnake.

She'd been so distracted by her imminent victory that she'd forgotten all about Pip. With a cry of surprise, she fell on her ass with a thump, stunned by the sudden turn of events. Which, of course, resulted in Koa's next volley hitting her squarely until she remembered that they were still playing and scrambled to her feet. "Heyyy!" she whined, dusting snow off her coat. "That's no fair! Companions don't count - sorry, Pip."

That was not the last snowball thrown that day, but it was the last for that particular battle, and as day turned slowly to night, it was easy to fall into the cadence of siblings enjoying a snow day.

-FIN-
And when I meet the band, they ask, "Do you have a man?"
I can still say, "I don't remember"