Mini Event {se} Fade to Black
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Harper
May you be always heartbreaking
Taking a little more than you give
In the heart of Haulani, near the Fountain so any Mer could arrive easily, the Court of Stars is most often used as the backdrop for large meetings and decision-making. This afternoon, it is the setting for a rather unfortunate, somber sharing of news. Though it takes some time for a healthy crowd to gather, Harper does not mind the waiting - especially given the normally omnipresent heat of the sun is at its lowest during the current season.

Clearing his throat slightly, Harper glances briefly at Hadama, silently communicating agreement that it's a good time to start before venturing on.

"We have learned of rather serious news at a meeting of the demigods and leaders." Hands clasping in front of himself, Harper cuts right to the chase. "Safrin has departed from Caido to deal with an external threat. An emphasis has been placed on personal and regional preparation, as well as interrelationships between them." Something Caido has managed nearly flawlessly since Harper's arrival even when war tensions were at their highest, which is a promising outlook for the future. "The threat is as yet unknown, but she left warning systems in place with Ronin and Deimos, her chosen, to let them know when the threat is imminent." Which, if he says so himself, is all the explanation needed for keeping the peace between regions. "Understandably, regional and personal quests with Safrin will be impossible, so please keep this in mind." He turns his head to nod at Hadama, allowing the Merking to follow up with any information Harper may have forgotten, and opening up the floor to any concerns or questions.
I’ll see you all on the other side
After I am a different man with different eyes
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
The Mer King tilted his head in agreement at Harper's silent nod, trusting to his friend and co-leader to chose the best time to begin. Harper had a more fluid and elegant way with words and Hadama appreciated his fellow King's willingness to take the lead and host the gathering as he revealed the information they had learned at the Refuge.

He looked out over those gathered, human and Mer alike, and met the eyes of many before receiving Harper's nod to add his own piece.

"Torchline has not been abandoned," he rumbled reassuringly. "Safrin will return when she can. And we still have her messengers and those she has touched. such as Ronin, her Supernova. And perhaps we may call upon Vi and his demigod Noah in the meantime." He looked towards Aumakua and then back, his stern countenance softening. "I will hold a lantern-making day soon. To give us light during LongNight, and to create stars of our own to guide her home, if any want to join me."
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Online
Change author:
MP: 2895

Edmund eyes the clear tension in Harper and concern shoots through him. Both of the Kings look solemn, and it did not bode well. Remaining silent, the young Ancient waits till both finish saying their piece, his concern growing.  Safrin had left Caido. How was that even possible?

Despite the looming shadow of a potential threat, Edmund feels a bit of vindication. Mother truly was the Goddess he was meant to follow. Not the starry herald. The thought sends a strike of guilt through the young Ancient. Now was not the time for pettiness. With Safrin gone from Torchline abandoning the region again, he needs to step up. He was no longer a helpless child. This time he will protect his family.

Clearing his throat, Edmund steps from the crowd, "What preparations should we start immediately?"

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Edmund 's question cut clearly through the quiet whispers of confusion and concern, and Hadama inclined his head to the young man in gratitude for his ability to get straight to the point.

"We hope to have some warning as the threat approaches. But it would be wise for each person to prepare emergency supplies for themselves and their families. We will maintain the shelters in Rae's Fingers," he added, looking to Harper for confirmation. "Practice your routes to get to them safely. For those who wish to better defend themselves, I will offer training for individuals or groups."

He paused, looking up at the gathered legs of the humans from his place in the water, and he drew a slow breath before speaking again. "Before we can approach any god for help in strengthening our defenses we will need to finish the task we have already begun. We have found a site for the fountain, and purified water for it. We still need volunteers to collect rock from Apopo to build the structure, and sugarcane from the Oerwoud to distill the rum." He tilted his head in acknowledgment of the incongruity of the project in the face of the changing world. "Defenders at the Docks will benefit from increased luck, if it comes under attack." Whether from the threat Safrin faced or some other more worldly invader.

"And we should begin thinking of what defenses we could pursue once this quest is complete," he finished.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
flora

Though Flora had remained quiet during most of this meeting, now as she stepped forward with her arms over her chest and her eyes a touch narrowed. Was she still bitter about losing the election? Absolutely she was. Did she intend to continue to make that everyone's problem? Absolutely she did.

"Mmmmk, but like..how are we supposed to prepare when you literally have no idea what sort of threat is coming?" She asked in a voice saccharine sweet as her eyes fell upon Harper. "How does hiding in the Fingers help if all the water turns to blood? Or what if it's an infection like the Blight? What if the whole continent fucking sinks?" Sure, Hadama had been the one to voice most of these suggestions, but Harper had been the one who had been mean to her, so it was to him that she raised the majority of her questions.
Every single thing I touch becomes sick with sadness
'Cause it's all over now, all out to sea
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Kaiden Strajah
Thief

Age: 21 | Height: 6'4" (5'10" if full human) | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
kaiden

There is no shame in survival
Only strength

Kaiden didn't normally attend these kinds of events, but they'd been swimming by when they saw the gathered crowd of humans and mer. Listening they couldn't help but scoff at Flora, "That's why you prepare for everything. If you can imagine it, prepare for it." It was basic logic. Propping up on their elbows at the edge of the water, the mer tilted their head, "And if the threat is edible, we eat it." Monsters were creatures, so that meant meat. Which was obviously food. "You shouldn't waste food."

Perhaps it wasn't the most standard line of thinking and perhaps it was born from spending too much time in the open water as a shark, but it was perfectly logical to the mer.
coding by kaons
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper
Ah, Flora.

Strangely enough, despite having bluntly turned down Phoebe's interference, Harper is far less bothered by her insistence on singling him out this time. Maybe it's because he got laid recently?

Regardless, his answer is far less eloquent in comparison to Hadama's. Despite the physical reliefs boosting his mood, Harper has had too many shit seasons in a row - his goddess disappearing is simply the cherry on top.

"That is a question we would all like to ask Safrin, I'm sure." For she had said nothing. Implied everything. Left them with questions and nary a breadcrumb to lead them down a trail toward an answer. Sunjata's subtle poison has made him restless, wondering and posing questions to an empty space that will not speak back. "But what she shared with Ronin and Deimos is what we have to work on. It is very little, yes, but sharing it is better than withholding it." So go ask Ronin about it yourself, if you know him so well, he bites back on saying, because even he knows it's too childish.

"Our hands are tied so to speak, as we must finish the quest we've already started. Personal improvement and defenses are not something we can control, but we suggest them. Heavily." Lest their citizens be unprepared despite all the magical improvements the previous rulers had put in place over the years. It may seem out of character for Harper to be so somber, but this may be the only way to impart the severity of the situation upon them all, to encourage them to take action.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Emerald eyes came to rest on Flora as she asked her questions and the mermanta tilted his head in acknowledgment of them but remained silent since she had directed them at the Stalwart. He trusted Harper to handle what the Doubletake threw at him, though Kaiden's unexpected contribution had Hadama blinking and controlling the upward twitch of his lips at the shark's focus on food only with great difficulty.

He nodded in support of Harper's words, waiting to be sure his co-ruler was done before speaking again. "They are good points to bring up," he rumbled, grateful to Flora for saying out loud what others might have mumbled and whispered to their neighbors. By bringing the concerns out into the open she allowed the kings to respond to them. "There may not be time to prepare for everything," he admitted, meeting Kaiden's eyes before looking out over the rest of their citizens who had come. "But we do know the direction the threat is coming from." He looked up to the blue Deepfrost sky, hazy with thin clouds that masked the stars far beyond before his gaze returned to those gathered. "It is something to consider, once we finish the fountain." Nothing needed to be decided today, after all. But the longer people had to come up with ideas, the more options they would have when the opportunity arose to begin a new project.
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
flora

"Sure. That seems super realistic." The Doubletake snipes back to Kaiden, rolling her eyes in the mer's direction before her gaze lands on Harper once more.

"Did you really just say our priority was to finish a fountain in the Port?" She wonders, aqua eyes wide with an expression torn between haughty amusement and shock that this was what their leadership took to be a priority. "One fountain in one board a very geographically small place?" Looking toward Hadama for support, Flora was stunned into momentary silence to hear the King in agreement with his counterpart.

Biting at the inside of her lip, Flora had to weigh her allegiance to the place she'd made her home, and to the emotions coursing tightly inside her stomach that begged to be given voice.

"You're both idiots." She all but whispered as tears scratched at the back of her eyes, and though Flora directed the words at both Harper and Hadama, it was on the Mer she focused. "The goddess you both believe in most has disappeared, and you're focusing on a fucking fountain."

Tasting copper, Flora sneered to herself at the pain, blinking up at the sky and huffing out a disapproving breath. "But at least there will be plenty of rum when everyone is fucked over after whatever is coming, comes. Right?"
Every single thing I touch becomes sick with sadness
'Cause it's all over now, all out to sea
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Edmund Ansel
Adventurer / Guildmaster

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
SPLAT - Mythical - Darkling
Played by: Blackbird Online
Change author:

Edmund fully understands Flora's frustration even if he doesn't appreciate how she's addressing the two Kings. Working on a rum fountain at a time like this feels like a disrespect to Enzo's death. Shouldn't they be preparing further to prevent such a tragedy from repeating? Grimacing slightly, he speaks up again, "I'm not sure if we can stop a God quest partway. Now without consequences. Otherwise, I'd suggest we abandon the fountain entirely." Risking any deity's ire with an unknown threat looming was too reckless.

Regarding the two Kings he takes a deep breath, "Perhaps we can create two teams? One to finish the fountain as fast as possible and the other to start preparations? We don't have a true military but maybe we can start training volunteers to help defend the region as a small militia. We could also start stocking up emergency supplies and revamping safehouses." A divide-and-conquer approach might be their best bet at the moment.

Edmund

Reborn In Fire
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama stayed quiet while Flora said her piece, giving the Doubletake the time and space she needed to get out her frustrations before he inclined his head in acknowledgment of her words. His own frustrations, if any, remained buried deep, but before he could speak Edmund broke in and the King paused again. He nodded in silent agreement with the point about the quest they were currently undertaking, and at the suggestions he exchanged a glance with Harper , though the Attuned Bond remained still and unbroken in this public gathering.

Flora had looked to him and he spoke to her, though his gaze swept those gathered to include them as well. "We do not think any other god will grant us a new quest while one we already have remains unfinished." Especially given how long their tasks had languished for two seasons. He tilted his head to include Harper as he continued. "But as soon as we are able we will approach Frey. If Safrin has not returned yet," he added dutifully, and though he was worried for his goddess he did not let it show on his chiseled, stoic features. "We are asking for your help. All of you. In reaching that goal as soon as possible."

Then he turned to Edmund and inclined his head at the suggestions offered. "Harper and I have spoken on this. Torchline will not gather trade goods this season. Instead we will be training soldiers." He had already asked the citizens gathered to prepare supplies and update the War shelters, but he nodded again in encouragement as the Ancient repeated the ideas. The young man's efforts to contribute solutions was appreciated in the uncertain times they now found themselves in.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper
As he gazes upon Flora, the irritation and frustration halt in their tracks.

She looks…young.

Afraid.

Harper’s never been able to resist being swayed by that. So when he speaks - too dumbfounded and sad to do so before Hadama or Edmund - it’s clearly more for Flora than the others in attendance.

“I’m willing to risk Safrin’s ire by going to another herald. I’m willing to forsake trade and alliances in favor of strengthening our soldiers.” He steps closer - for what little closer means in a mass group like this. Foolish and naive as she might claim, but enough to hope that maybe he can reach out to her and harness that fire in aid instead of opposition. One hand goes to the pendant on his chest. “I have tried to strengthen myself, so I might fight on the frontlines again if the hour comes.” No matter how measly his contributions had been last time, he’d rather be the one to perish if it came down to it. “I will lead the charge in strengthening the safehouses - I will train with anyone who asks - but I cannot do it alone.” Aka let’s get this PQ+ bread then.

And to the Doubletake, his eyes are old and beseeching. “Tell me what more I can do. Tell me what would make you feel safer.” And, realizing that was perhaps too personal not only for a public forum but for the prickly young woman in general, Harper collects himself. “That’s what we’re here for. To be the conduits of your desires. Nothing - not even allegiance to a herald - is worth more than that.” But it comes out lamely, not nearly as impassioned as Flora’s emotions had inspired in him moments prior.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The impassioned speech from his co-ruler was unexpected, and Hadama listened in respectful silence as Harper laid his heart on the table. There was no denying that the man felt strongly, but the Mer king was not at all certain that they were entirely on the same wave as the words continued to flow. Still, now was not the time to show anything other than a united front, and hopefully they would have a chance in the future to discuss what had shifted.

When the Stalwart wound down there was silence among the rulers, patient and waiting for rebuttal or disengagement, but as it stretched on with no further questions or concerns forthcoming, the Tidebreaker raised his voice once more. "When we know more, we will share it," he promised. "If you have suggestions, please come to us. If you would volunteer for militia training, meet here tomorrow morning at ten." He nodded to those gathered and made himself comfortable in the water, planning to stay awhile and listen to anyone who wanted to come up and speak to them one-on-one before putting his head together with Harper to make further plans.

~Fin~