under the same sun
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She would have held him close as long as he wanted, but she didn’t stray far as he pulled back and his red ringed eyes that were so green looked into her own indigo gaze. He spoke, asking what people said, and for a moment Rexanna didn’t want to answer him. Didn’t want to burden him with the truths of what happened. So for a moment, she searched his eyes, one hand leaving the soothing circles she had rubbed into his back and shoulders, to run a gentle hand along his cheek if he’d let her. “I think they’re fine with the demon dead. It’s just… what happens next?” She paused, eyes dropping from his own for a minute while she gathered her thoughts.

During the fight, many of us were there watching. Rory had come and caused a rift between the Outlanders and Naturals.” Her eyes lifted to him, glistening with a kind of sorrow that was in part due to Ronin’s death and the war that Rory seemed determined to start. “He was upset, pointed the Naturals against the Outlanders. Now I think there are many Naturals protecting the spire, preventing anyone from entering it.” She informed him, helpful from what she had seen and heard spread through the Hallowed Grounds.

They are afraid of what’s out there. Afraid that the barrier was protecting them from the unknown. I don’t know which path is better.” She said quietly. A frown crossing her features. It was nobody’s fault, and she wondered what Rory’s plan was now. To remain until he died on the Spires base to prevent the barrier from falling. Was it from pride? “I am honestly afraid of what happens next.” She added, her hand falling to rest gently on his shoulder. She hoped in a way the barrier would fall – that Ronin would have never died for nothing. But she wondered, too, if that was part of the problem. Outlanders erasing Natural’s history, pegging themselves as the heroes in this story when Rexanna knew they had never thought of it as such.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
REMI
& now I'm all alone in the dark of night
Leaning slightly into the feeling of her fingers against his cheek, distantly Remi wondered how terrible he likely looked. Unshaven, hair a mess, milk stains probably on his shirt from Aoife...softly he sighed, eyes falling closed to squeeze out the last of the tears. "Rory?" Remi repeated, shocked. "Protecting the spire?" He asked, his voice harsh and cold sounding. "Did we really risk our lives to defeat the demon, just so that they could take its place?" He asked rhetorically, eyes rising to the ceiling for a moment as he shook his head sadly.

The worst part was, Remi supposed it made sense. Whether his resolve was weakened because it was Rory leading the charge, or whether it was simply the commoner in him who understand what it was to have your 'betters' come in and tell you how to live your life, Remi understood.

"So there is just a stand off now? Rory and the naturals versus...well, us, I suppose?"
The moon is shining but I can't see the light
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She nodded with a frown that crossed her face. That’s exactly what happened. The difference, however, being that while Rory had the force of the Naturals behind him, he wasn’t as deadly as the Spire Demon. And she hoped deep down he had enough resolve to not kill someone over it. He seemed intelligent enough to realize what it was he was doing. And even if Rexanna knew and could understand, it still didn’t make it right. She inhaled deeply and continued to enjoy the warmth Remi offered, despite the circumstances. “I have to talk to him, at some point. I hope when things calm down.” She began, sighing through her nose.

But Remi questioned of the standoff, and she nodded once more. Because that was exactly what this was. “He targeted me at the gathering, used me as his target to peg all of his anger on. But… He spoke as if we went out of our way to ruin their lives. How we disregard their rules and advice.” She looked back up to catch his eye. “I told him that I was the reason he and Jigano were still alive. I let them in on Longnight after they fixed the perch – ignoring their warnings.” She said, a considering look crossing her face before she was forced to look away. “He didn’t take it well. And the Naturals, for the most part, are on his side. Few are friendly now. Even Phoebe’s boyfriend broke up with her because of it.” She sighed, closing her eyes for a moment.

Deimos and I have been searching for the reason of why the barrier is there. And I think it would be important to involve the Naturals in whatever else happens.” She looked back to Remi with a sad look across her face. “I think them not being involved with the fight is what started it.” She resulted, frowning at the idea but continuing to hold Remi close. “I am unsure of how long they can hold out before they leave.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
With a sigh, Remi rubbed between his eyes with one of his hands, closing his eyes and groaning. "Early when I first met him...there was a hesitancy there. Like they had all grown used to the barrier and were upset that we wanted to fight. That we did not accept this cage." Remi said, lashes fluttering back to open.

"That was you?" Remi said with the flicker of a smile. He could imagine easily Rexanna throwing open the doors, to hell with warnings, and letting a wounded Rory and Jigano inside. Remi was probably outside at that time as well, though he was protected (sort of) by Ludo. He thought he had been, anyways. The mention of Phoebe and being broken up with only made him groan again and ruffle a hand through his curls. "What a mess." He said sadly, wondering how it was they had come to this point.

"The reason why?" Remi said, looking up and appearing a bit surprised. And he was, for the answer was obvious enough. To him at least. "It was created to keep the Voice and the ascended contained. As I understand it there are some who do not care and want to go, and others who think the barrier should remain. But...even Rory has spoken of previous attacks against the demon and the Spire. The naturals themselves have tried this before. How is this different? Because we succeeded and not them?" He asked, rubbing at his eyes again. "What was the plan before, during those previous attempts?"

Groaning again, Remi nodded with a sigh. "Not being involved.." He mumbled sadly. They were in a cage. What sort of prisoners asked for permission before trying to break out?
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She didn’t know that story was hesitant to fight. All she had seen was the meeting where they spoke of how to beat attack it. And Rory, sitting there in sorrow and sadness because the Demon had killed one of their own. And Wessex, reborn and unafraid, had shown up to the gathering based off of her own situation. As Remi groaned, she too felt the need to but sighed instead. Things had changed since then, though. So much had. And she nodded to Remi with a hint of a wolfish grin when he asked if it was her that had opened the door, forgot all warnings because of Jigano’s pleading on the other side. “Guilty.” She said with a hint of a smile. But she had to agree with his statement. It was a mess, and one she had no idea how to go about cleaning it up. She didn’t know if she should even try to.

But realization cascaded over her as Remi spoke of the barrier and the Voice, and an actual fear struck through her. If they had put the barrier to keep the Ascended in, and the Naturals knew it, how would they go about opening the barrier without destroying the voice? And if the Voice was destroyed, what happened to the Ascended? A quell of worry slithered through her gut and she frowned at the idea. “I… would they destroy the Voice if they had the chance?” She stumbled over her words as a panic came across her. She thought of Bastien and his newfound Ascension. And what might happen to him if his goddess were destroyed.

She frowned softly toward Remi, eyes searching his face for a moment before she sighed. “I have yet to find out the true anger they have. But I’m concerned about what they might do with the Voice…” She trailed off for a moment, inhaling deeply. “Bastien is alive and has become Ascended — I’m concerned what might happen to them if the Voice no longer exists. And I suppose what might happen if the barrier does fall.” She frowned deeper, a small dimple in her cheek forming with the motion. “But in terms of the stalemate, I think it’s only a matter of time before something happens. I’m not sure which side I wish to be on, but I know I don’t want to be a prisoner within this barrier any longer.” She said resolutely. “I made a promise to explore out there.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
The alchemist could only shrug uncertainly. "I have heard both sides now ... the Voice says that the other gods—the Old Gods—were jealous? or afraid of her? So they locked her and her kind away here. But .. Safrin was one of the ones who gave—" For a moment Remi's jaw tightened and his voice fell away, before he took a breath and continued. —Ronin the weapon we used again the demon...and it was Ludo who told me where to look to break down the barrier so.." Wearily, Remi could only shrug.

"Oh." Remi replied, a strange sort of sensation sparking in his stomach. Bastien was alive? That was certainly good, he supposed. Strange, but good. "I wonder if they can do anything at all. Especially with the demon defeated it seems to be only a matter of time before they enter. And she is a god, or at least very powerful. Why else would they need to contain her and not simply kill her?"

Again Remi could only shake his head. "I suppose...strange weather effects?" He said almost jokingly, but it was possible. "When I had the mask that let me see out, I was sure that those outside could see in. I felt sure I was being looked at...I do not know what that means, but like you, I do not wish to stay. I...well. I suppose I have nothing to stay here for, now." He said raising his eyes to look around the mostly-empty guildhall with a sad sigh.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
Her eyes lingered on Remi when he spoke of the Voice and the old gods and she simply added them to the never ending list of things to learn about this place. Perhaps Maea or Amalia could help her with that too; the last thing she wanted to do was burden Remi with question after question. But her eyes softened as he paused over Ronin’s name, a hand reaching up to rest on his shoulder and squeeze gently. “I suppose it seems the gods here want out too?” She questioned softly. If they hadn’t wanted the barrier down, why would they have gifted objects that had the power to do so? Something in her settled at that, at the possibility that the Old Gods had done this and the people of the Hallowed Grounds had to suffer for centuries over it.

As realization settled over Remi at Bastien being alive, and he continued to speak about the power of the Voice, she nodded with interest and perhaps a bit of question. If she was powerful enough to only contain, then did she really need to worry enough for Bastien and the other Ascended’s safety? The way that Rory and Wessex had been together was enough to make Rexanna realize that perhaps they wouldn’t destroy the Voice. The Naturals at least. She couldn’t say anything about the Old Gods. But her question was aimed at Remi and he offered a somewhat joking answer that had the corner of her lip turning up slightly. He mentioned Ludo’s mask and Rexanna got a sort of strange feeling similar to fish in a tank. She inhaled deeply but nodded, following his gaze around the Guildhall.

She didn’t know a lot about Ronin, but she imagined he’d fully support Remi in exploring what’s beyond. And she was certain that if he was still here, he would have come with. But life had changed, and Rexanna squeezed his shoulder gently again and offered a small smile to him. “What did it look like out there? Were there huge trees and life surrounding the barrier?” She asked with a tilt of her head. “It’s interesting to me that they could see in and we can’t see out. Makes me feel like a fish in a glass box.” She attempted to joke, going as far as the slight shudder that washed over her body.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
He smiled at the gentle squeeze of her fingers, his shoulder rising and falling beneath him in a shrug. "I think they do. Or at least I did. But why they are not doing more, I do not know. Why Ludo would tell me the way out is at the top of the Spire but not elaborate makes little sense. It gave me a mask, but said not what I was to do with it..." Helplessly, Remi could only sigh and shake his head. He doubted trying to understand the minds of beings like Ludo would get him particularly far.

"It was still winter when I looked out last. But yes, there were trees that seemed to practically reach the sky, and these strange lights that just seemed to float throughout. It seemed bursting with life even then."

Nodding, Remi chewed his lip. "I suppose I could be wrong. But when I was there, I saw a fox looking at me. It seemed to watch me as I moved. There were luxere as well. None tried to approach ... so either I am wrong and they did not see me..or perhaps they knew I could not get through?"
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
paint my spirit gold
She contemplated what he said with a tilt of her head. “What if… What if they don’t know what’s inside either?” She questioned. “Or aren’t allowed to say?” She mused. If the new gods were in here and weren’t as powerful as the old gods in creating the barrier to keep them all within, perhaps the old gods were stronger and smarter than the ones they had here. And perhaps with that, they didn’t want to anger their more powerful counterparts into destroying the barrier and bringing the Ascended and in turn the Voice out on the rest of the world? But for a moment, too, Rexanna wondered what they were so afraid of. All the Ascended she had met had been kind enough with the exception being Wessex. And it wasn’t like the other woman was rude or unkind, she simply embodied the idea of a weapon.

She was someone Rexanna didn’t want to be on the bad side of.

She hummed in thought to Remi as he spoke of the Luxere and the fox he had seen. How they seemed to look in, and yet she was wondering if there were only wildlife beyond. Were there even any people? And if there weren’t, why had everyone been so worried. “Perhaps it may be good to tell people what you have seen outside it? Once everything calms down and people figure out what they’re doing?” She said quietly, uncertain what good it would do and uncertain if she wanted Remi to face those that had influenced a war when his best friend had died for them. It wasn’t for glory, but for a better life. But she didn’t think they thought of it that way.

After a moment, she exhaled quietly in a sigh and offered a small smile to Remi. “Will you take her with you when you explore? Or can someone take care of her here?” She asked quietly, wondering if Vervain would be willing – the children nearly the same age it seemed. At least Aoife would grow up with a friend that wasn’t a dragon.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
"I had not thought of it like that...but you could very well be right." Remi said, pulling in a breath and holding it. It was entirely possible that they were mere shadows to the outside world. Or like fish in a bowl.

Gently the alchemist nodded. "Those who were there knew what I saw, and Jigano mentioned it at the meeting he held but...perhaps a notice. Though since I do not have the mask anymore, I feel that mentioning it now will bring more questions than I can answer but...you are right still. They should know. "

Her question of the future made him pause sadly, and he turned his eyes up for a moment as he considered. "I..." Remi began, before falling silent again. "I suppose I will do whatever is best for her. With so many gone I am not sure that I feel tethered anywhere anymore. If I go or stay...it does not feel like it matters anymore."