before i learned civility
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Alys
For some insane reason, Alys stood on the streets of Snowcloak in the middle of LongNight, bundled up against the cold, with a shawl tied into a sling around her chest for the baby ursur that clung to her, sharing body heat against the chill. Why Alys had chosen the middle of LongNight to begin shopping for a shop location was a mystery. Perhaps she had simply gotten bored, or perhaps she thought there was some mystical meaning behind house-hunting during LongNight. Either way, she was cold (which she could ignore) and Sascha was cold (which sparked a protective streak inside her that she hadn't known existed until recently), and they were no closer to finding a home than they had been a few hours ago.

Hugging the little ursur cub closer to her for warmth, Alys marched down the street to the next place on her list. This one had seemed promising from the ad, but after the places she'd seen so far today, she didn't have high hopes for this one. It didn't seem like too much to ask - all she wanted was a decent shop with an apartment in the back or upstairs. It didn't even have to be a nice apartment. It just had to be warm and livable. And yet, the last three places had been dirty or cold or downright decrepit.

With a sigh, Alys and Sascha soldiered on.
gather 'round, here's how to get what you want
introduce a new religion of feeling like a boss
Minor powerplay allowed without permission.
Feel free to use force/magic on Alys.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9747
Evie

Though the sun may be gone, Evie's strict routines do not take such a similar vacation. It's old news that Evie jogs every morning, but lately Micah has grown enough to join her, and together the two run through the quiet streets of Halo's Citadel with only the thudding of feet and paws on cobblestone to accompany their huffing breaths.

Micah is the one to notice Alys and her companion. No surprise there given the long shadows cast by the ever-burning lanterns and Micah's keen nose. The bond no longer feels alien the way it had the day they'd bonded, and Micah has learned how to signal direction when prodding at Evie's mind, pulling her eyes to the proper point of interest.

Evie slows, breath coming even but loud, and considers her options. She likes Alys, but only in the passing sort of way that comes with the few shallow interactions they've had together. Surely the Seer wouldn't want her to intrude -

Micah goes bounding off on nearly silent paws, luminescent rosettes glinting in colorful flashes beneath the firelight as he races toward Alys. Hiding his curiosity behind pridefulness, a humming growl of interest vibrates in his throat as he stops and stares up at her, Evie jogging to intercept him with a sheepish smile. "Sorry, sorry. Not sure why you caught his eye," Evie excuses, words breathless and cheeks flushed in the half-light, high ponytail swaying as she comes to a stop.
if this love does not call itself a wildfire
then I don't want it at all
Alys Glasse
Seer

Age: 27 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Whatever Alys had been expecting of her day, it was not to be accosted by a tide jaguar in the middle of a Halovian street.

And yet, here she was, faced with just that. 'Accosted' was, perhaps, too strong a word, but she'd certainly caught the creature's eye, and that was enough to give her pause. As the jaguar bounded towards her, bioluminescent rosettes glinting in the half-light of the nearby lanterns, Alys looked around. Recognizing Evie (and putting two and two together in her mind), the seer shifted Sascha in her arms and offered a friendly smile. "Hello, Evie," she said. "Hello, Micah."

Alys didn't know the Warden well, but she'd been around her enough to be fairly comfortable in a quick conversation. But before she could say anything, Sascha poked her furry head out of her makeshift sling, mewling a greeting to both human and tide jaguar. It was surely a comical sight, a little ursur cub poking out of a shawl wrapped around Alys's chest, but she would keep her companion warm or die trying. "Sorry," she continued, making a face. "Maybe it's Sascha that caught his attention."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Evie

Micah's insistence is wordless and adorable, but he does not have the ability to be any clearer - not until Sascha's head pops out from her makeshift sling, startling Evie and making Micah rrrrowr! with satisfaction at having flushed out his object of interest. "Oh! Hello!" Pleasantly surprised, Evie shuffles a little closer, keeping an eye on Micah until it's clear he's in a friendly mood before cooing over Sascha. "I didn't know you had bonded. Was it recent?" Eyeing the sling around the cub, she mourns again her lack of connection to fire as an element, wishing she could help warm her up.

Leaning down and holding out her arms to get Micah's attention, the jaguar leaps into them readily, trusting his companion to catch him even if she does humph slightly with his weight. He's grown so much larger since she found him, it seems he'll never stop. Micah clearly enjoys his better view of the ursur, though his ears twitch erratically as he communicates his desire to be closer to Evie - who ignores him for now. "What are you out and about for tonight?" Alys seems to be on a mission, and Evie admittedly wants to get the know the woman a little better, so maybe it's a good time to inquire.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Sascha, still young enough to be shy, peered solemnly at Evie from her sling, snuffling the air in the Evergreen's general direction as though to learn all she needed to know from scent alone. Alys smiled down at the cub. "It was just before LongNight," she said. "Her mother was dead, and she was the only cub left." She'd been the runt of the litter, too, which was probably why she fit so easily against Alys's chest. "It's been a learning curve," Alys added wryly as Sascha finished her perusal of the air and leaned towards Evie, clearly eager to say hello.

The cub's attention shifted to Micah as the tide jaguar leapt into his bonded's arms, and Alys hid a smile at the almost comical hmph from Evie. "I've been thinking about opening a shop," she told the Evergreen. "I was looking at a few potential locations, but I don't think I've found the right one yet."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie

It's not an uncommon story for a bonded, and it makes Evie's smile take on a sorrowful tinge. "I found Micah in a collapsed den. If there were any others, they didn't survive. It's a bittersweet thing." It's all the more admirable that their companions are so resilient, capable of bouncing back and adapting to human ways. Her smile turns equally wry. "I've had Micah a little longer, and it's still a learning curve. I completely freaked out when we bonded," she admits like a secret, chuckling slightly. "I had no idea what I was feeling. He was completely calm while I freaked out the entire Skyboat trip home to Deimos." Who had proceeded to laugh at her for her complete lack of preparation before helping her contextualize the process.

Interest piqued by the mention of a shop, Evie flips her ponytail over her shoulder when Micah begins batting at it and raises her brows in a clear expression of intrigue. "Oh? What kind of shop? I might be able to help." A plan is already coalescing in the back of her mind, but it would depend on what exactly Alys was hoping to do with the space.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
To hear that she was not the only one surprised by the sudden mental shift that came along with a bonded companion was something of a relief to Alys. It was strange to think that they so quickly adapted to sharing emotions and thoughts with their companions, when it was such a shock when the first melding of minds occurred. At least she'd adjusted fairly quickly - likely because of the threat of a full-grown ursur in the vicinity - and had Tal to talk to about it on their way home. So Alys smiled ruefully at the Evergreen and said, "It's certainly been an experience, but I wouldn't trade it for the world."

On the topic of shops, though, Alys turned sober. "I'm looking at opening an apothecary of sorts," Alys admitted. "Natural remedies, herbs and crystals, that sort of thing. And, of course, I'll offer tarot readings as well." She shifted Sascha's weight in her makeshift sling. "It'd be ideal if there was a back room or an upstairs to live in, as well." All the better to get out of the Academy at long last. Not that Alys was ungrateful - but she was certainly ready to have her own place.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie

Glancing down at Micah in her arms, completely relaxed and allowing her to bear his full weight but still pawing out in the open air toward Sascha, Evie smiles and her eyes are full of love. "Yeah, me neither. Freakouts and all." One hand rises to pet Micah's head, scratching behind his ear. Her engagement ring glints in the lamplight of the streets, and she muses over the fact that someday she might feel this way about children too. Though she suspects that would be even more terrifying than bonding.

It couldn't have been a more perfect opportunity, and Evie knows her expression must be a glowing, excitable masterpiece that Alys surely won't understand yet. "Truly?! I have the perfect solution then!" Giddy now, she finagles Micah up and around her neck like a particularly lazy scarf, and holds out her hand to Alys so she might take the other woman and begin leading her through the streets on a well-worn path. "I've been an apothecarist my entire life, and when I first moved to Halo I was the second-in-command for the Infirmary when we had a formal physician," she explains as they walk along at a clipped pace, too excited to go any slower. Besides, as much as she wants to get to know Alys, the sharing has to go both ways. "My shop was also my home, but then Deimos and I moved in together so I closed up shop and ran any personal healing through the Infirmary again." They'd also taken an entire season to renovate and expand the house, including her own personal greenhouse on the property, so that neither of them had to give up their dreams and hobbies.

Turning the corner, the closed-up shop comes into view, though only Evie recognizes it on sight. "I've held onto it, but I really have no need of it. Here it is!" Dropping Alys' hand, she gestures at the storefront. It is mostly glass in the front for plants and tinctures to be put on display, but Alys could also use it to display her cards and signage. Finding the right key on her keyring, Evie opens the door and swings it wide, allowing Alys inside to poke around before following after her. Despite having been boarded up for some time, the plants and herbs that had been in the house for years upon years ensured it did not smell musty or abandoned. "The living quarters are upstairs, and it has a small greenhouse in the back too. Nothing fancy, of course," she admits, bashful, as if it isn't still a gift she intends to give to Alys entirely free of charge. If that hasn't become apparent already she'll certainly make it clear once she knows the Seer actually likes the place.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Evie's excitement as Alys revealed her plans was palpable, and the seer tilted her head to one side as the Evergreen's expression grew more and more gleeful. She hadn't thought that an apothecary would warrant this much joy, especially not in a land as full of magic as Halo, but perhaps she'd thought wrong - and perhaps her shop would be a resounding success because of it. When Evie held out her hand, Alys hesitantly took it, allowing herself to be drawn along in the Warden's wake.

It didn't take long before Alys understood the other woman's excitement, and when she did, she, too, began to hurry along with anticipation. "I had no idea!" she exclaimed, her free hand cuddling Sascha closer to ensure the ursur cub wasn't jostled too badly as they made their way through town.

The shop they stopped in front of was unfamiliar to Alys, and she took a moment to survey the building as Evie hunted for her keys. The front was a wall of windows, all the better to let in light for the plants, and Alys could already see how she might arrange her own displays of greenery and signage to entice customers in. She slipped past Evie when the Warden gestured her inside, and stopped to admire the setup of the place even as she mentally catalogued a few tweaks she might make. There were even living quarters upstairs and a small greenhouse out back, which were both perfect for Alys's needs.

"Evie, this is perfect," the seer sighed as she turned back towards the Evergreen. "How much would you want for it?"
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie

It is so rare to meet a fellow apothecarist, and if Evie did not have these plans in mind to accomplish first she might instead drag Alys into a conversation about their shared passion. There will be time yet, she tells herself.

Micah jumps off her shoulders to explore the shop as well, having never experienced it given she'd already moved in with Deimos when they'd bonded. Leading the way upstairs, she uses the same key to unlock the door at the top - ensuring privacy from any snooping guests - and lets Alys walk around to examine the space. It is still furnished and with moderate quality items at that. Though Evie turns in surprise when Alys mentions payment.

"Oh, I have no need for money," she assures, a tinge of pink to her cheeks at admitting something that feels rather arrogant to say out loud. However, between herself and Deimos, even with Warden benefits aside, she really doesn't need money or other favors. "I know it's a big gift when we don't know each other well, but I'd rather see it go to someone who not only needs it but truly wants it. Otherwise, it'll just sit here and rot." Smiling kindly, she takes a moment to take the key off her key ring, holding it out toward Alys. "This was my whole world once, but it's not my life anymore. I'd rather have it be reborn to support someone else's dream."
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
"I can't just - take it," Alys objected, shaking her head even as she followed Evie through the shop and living quarters, eyeing her surroundings longingly. Even if the shop was set up just perfectly for her needs, and the greenhouse in the back was everything she'd never known she needed, and the living quarters were just enough for she and Sascha to grow into after their tiny room in the Academy dorms. She eyed the key in Evie's hand, but couldn't quite bring herself to reach out and bridge the distance.

Ru had done something similar for her once, when she'd first arrived in Halo, outfitting the seer from her own pocket. And Alys had offered her tarot readings in return, any time she wanted them. It had worked out well for them, but clothing was a far cry from the keys to a shop.  "There has to be something I can do for you in return."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie

Evie is used to this type of mindset having come from the Grounds, and it makes her smile despite herself, wondering if that's where Alys hails from. "Yes you can. Or would you rather I order you to as your Warden?" It's paired with a cheeky wink and a smile, hoping to put Alys at ease with the situation if not the transaction.

Still holding the key toward Alys, she steps closer, waggling it slightly. Though she pauses when Aly mentions exchanging something at the very least, nothing immediately comes to mind. "Um...well, nobody knows yet, but..." her cheeks flush, and the key drops slightly between them, something close to shame and shyness intruding on her pretty face. "Deimos and I are getting married. And all of my family are gone, so I have nobody to help me with my dress or stand at my side. I know it's likely an even bigger ask, but if you wanted to come...?" The weight of the ask seems to hit her all at once, and she shakes her head and hands in tandem as if trying to wave away the memory of what she'd just implied. "O-Or you can just give me shop discounts for a year! Gods, sorry." But it had been the biggest thing she could think of, the only thing big enough to potentially even out the scales of giving Alys the shop.
Alys Glasse
Seer

SASCHA - Regular - Ursur
Change author:
Alys
Alys resisted the urge to stick out her tongue at the Warden, pressing her lips into a thin line at the almost-order. She didn't know Evie well, but she didn't need her cards to tell her that the Evergreen was likely to be just as stubborn and difficult as Deimos, if not more so - it was likely part of what made them such a good pairing. She was about to huff and give in when Evie surprised her. The Warden's cheeks flushed and the key dropped between them, and Alys took a few steps closer as Evie asked her softly to... be at the wedding?

Her eyebrows shot up as she gaped at Evie, and it took her a moment to gather her thoughts. "Congratulations!" she managed to squeak, her gaze flicking to the Evergreen's hand in search of the ring that was certainly sitting there. "That's - wow!" Gods, she wasn't usually this tongue-tied. There had to be something better to say than 'wow.'

It surprised her even further when Evie seemed to backtrack, shy and embarrassed, and Alys waved away her concerns. "I'd be honored to be at the wedding," she said. "And happy to help with your dress, or whatever else you might need." It was a big ask, but it was also one that Alys was happy to fulfill - especially since Deimos was one of her dearest friends. "But I don't need a shop for that," she added in protest. "I'd be happy to just do that, as... as friends."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
Evie

Evie flushes to her roots at Alys' excited surprise, but she can't help the giddy smile on her face either. She loves Deimos more than anything in the world, in ways she never knew she could love someone. Ways she didn't even think existed outside of her novels. The honeymoon phase had never really ended for her, so being able to finally tell someone is an exhilaration that makes her heart pound and jubilation spread through her veins. "Thank you," she giggles breathily, almost starstruck. "I haven't actually told anybody yet. You're the first." Deimos had plotted and planned with Kiada ahead of the proposal, but so far she isn't sure if even he has told anyone else. Alys might truly be the first of everyone.

She'd been keen to ask Alys considering her closeness with Deimos, but Evie's heart - despite being full with Deimos and all their bondeds - is admittedly a lonely one. Hadama is her only close friend, so it strikes her dumb to have Alys offer to do such a thing on the basis of a newly blossoming friendship instead of an exchange. And if it makes her eyes glint with a sheen of tears, she hopes the Seer won't tell anyone.

"Thank you," she whispers, because the emotion is too strong to speak past. "We're having a private ceremony and a public reception. I was afraid I wouldn't have anyone else to invite - and my only other friend is a Mer, so I don't think he'd be able to help much with the dress," she laughs self-consciously, blinking away the remnants of sentiment from her lashes. Lifting the key once more, she regards it with pursed lips. "But...well, I still want to just give it to you. Why don't you offer me something instead? I don't quite know what to ask for." Not now that Alys would be doing something so huge for her.