so many lines that I've crossed unforgiven
For Flora <3
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
To kiss in cars and downtown bars
Was all we needed
Soh listened with her head tilted to one side, a war raging in her silver eyes. To her credit, she didn't let go of Flora's hand - not even when her friend lifted the wine glass for a healthy sip, nor when she revealed her history with Koa, nor when she let slip that they'd been together recently. It was none of Soh's business what Koa had been doing - they weren't together, after all - but she couldn't help the sting of jealousy that Flora had gotten something from Koa that Soh hadn't.

She had so many questions, none of which were appropriate for this conversation. When? How many times? Was it good? A flush heated her cheeks. It didn't matter how close she and Flora were, there were just some things that Soh couldn't bring herself to ask.

Because, just like Flora, Soh couldn't imagine a world in which Koa would choose her. Why would he? Flora was beautiful, and smart, and ambitious, and confident, and so many things that Soh had never been. She studied Flora through concerned eyes as she downed more wine. "Flora, you know I'd do anything for you, right?" she asked, setting her own glass aside to grasp her friend's hands. "I've already had a chance with Koa, and I messed it up. He deserves better than that. And you deserve to be happy. And, you know, if that's with each other, then just say the word."
You drew stars around my scars
But now I'm bleedin'
Sohalia
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2759
marked me like a bloodstain
Setting down her wine glass on the table with shaking fingers—it was helping her nerve, but Flora could already feel her nose going slightly numb—she turned toward Soh so that she could wrap both hands around the Luminary's. "I know. And same. That's why I want you to be happy—' She says almost at the same time her friend says precisely the same thing.

Gods but Soh is a good friend. And a good person.
That's why it would be so very easy to just take her up on it. Say, okay, my turn to try with him.
And that's why he'd always choose her instead.

"Honestly, it was just sex." Later, she'd let herself properly feel the betrayal of that particular lie, but for now, she let the words slip easily from her lips. "He'd probably say the same. I mean, we've had this whole time when you and Jude were technically together and it wasn't like it became anything, so.." Giving Soh's hands a squeeze, the Doubletake grins.

"Besides, since Harper stepped down, I've got big plans in Torchline anyway." And what an easy excuse that was.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Was all we needed
If she was a better person, she'd argue the point. If the roles were reversed, she knew what she'd be feeling, and no matter how smoothly Flora said that it was just sex, Soh had to imagine that it was anything but. It wasn't that she was naive and stupid - she knew that some relationships were just about the sex. But this was Koa. And he was worth so much more.

If she was a better person, she'd say she'd take a step back, lock her feelings for Koa away in a little box in the back of her mind, never again to see the light of day.

But Flora's excuse was so easy, her grin so compelling, and the words stuck in Soh's throat. Instead, she tilted her head to one side. "I heard about that!" she said of Harper's departure, guilt striking her suddenly. "It's weird - normally I'd be checking on Jude, but I guess I don't have the right to do that anymore." But that was neither here nor there. She shook herself. "So, what kinds of plans? Please tell me it'll be something fun."
But now I'm bleedin'
Sohalia
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
And just like that, the moment was over. Though Flora's nose felt numb and her fingers felt cold, her heart had shattered enough such that it was no longer lodged in her throat, and her budding tears now felt more like a threat to her makeup than to her ability to keep her voice steady.

She'd done the thing; it was cowardly and selfish, but it was done, and now she was free to talk about easier things.

"Okay, so liiiike—" Giving Soh's hands a final squeeze, Flora reaches for her wine glass before diving into it. "Harper told me first. Or well, like Sunjata knew and whatever, but I was the first Torcher. And I got to thinking...I'm like, really strong now." Says Elle Woods. "And I mean...I have you here, and my mom and Sunjata who's basically going to be my step-dad in King's End, and Aunt Phoebe in the Greatwood, and my dads of course...like, I could just take Torchline from Hadama if he doesn't let me co-lead." How easily the plans for her coup slipped from her wine-loosened lips.

"Jack told me not to just bully him about it, but gods he can be such an old man sometimes."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Was all we needed
And just like that, the moment was over, and somehow Soh felt like they could never go back.

But at least Flora had easier topics at hand, and the Heart latched onto them gladly, picking up her wine glass and taking a healthy sip as she listened. At Flora's statement that she was really strong now, Soh smiled affectionately at her friend, pride for and admiration of the young woman shining in her silver eyes. Flora really was something - everything that Soh aspired to be, really. Beautiful, and strong, and confident - and perfect for Koa, whispered the insidious voice in the back of her mind.

She swallowed another sip of wine.

"Why wouldn't Hadama let you co-lead?" Soh asked, tilting her head to one side in confusion. It seemed to her that the merking was a reasonable sort - and he was her friend. Something about Flora leading a coup against him didn't sit well with the young Heart, but this was Flora. They'd been friends for longer, and she'd shared secrets with the Doubletake that she hadn't told anyone else. "You'd be perfect, I just know it!"
But now I'm bleedin'
Sohalia
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Riiiight???" Flora agreed brightly, huffing and rolling her eyes. "When I told him Harper abdicated, he just...said he wanted time and then acted like I was just going to fuck off if I got bored? As if I haven't wanted this my whole life?" Shrugging, she too takes another drink of her wine.

"I'm going to go on this trip with Jack and Melita to the Climb to do a KQ. I figure when I come back that'll be enough time for him to have thought about it." Really, it was as simple as that in her mind.

And honestly, how could Flora be worse than no one?

"I think so too." She agreed confidently. Whether or not that confidence was warranted was another matter entirely. "Then we can be leaders together! Only..I don't want to be a Heart like you. I'd totally be a queen."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Was all we needed
Sunlight spilled in through the window, making a light patch on the floor near the couch the girls were reclined on. Tarak rose from his perch on the tower in the corner, stretched, and hopped down to survey the sunspot - and promptly stretched out in it to fall back asleep. Soh watched him with a half-smile, rolling her eyes affectionately. He was such a cat sometimes.

"Well, I think you'd be brilliant," Soh said, as though that settled everything, and flashed her friend a smile. "I mean, you're super smart and super talented." And that was without Soh even delving into Flora's connections. Not that the girl needed them - Flora was powerful in her own right. "And you'd make a fabulous queen." Suddenly her eyes lit up, as though she'd had an idea. "I should ask one of our smiths to make you a crown! It can be Stormbreak's gift to the new queen of Torchline. Do you prefer gold or silver?"
But now I'm bleedin'
Sohalia
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake

Change author:
"Gasp!" Flora trilled happily, already imagining a crown—gold, thank you—being nestled on top of her curls. Maybe she could just...put a notice on the board and walk around with a crown just declaring herself Queen of Torchline. Honestly, what could Hadama really do about it if everyone just already assumed she had been given the position? 'Gold please!' She answered, grinning. "See? Look at our regions already working together and trading."

Crinkling her nose, Flora glances towards Tarak, chuckling under her breath before looking back to Soh. "I really do love you, you know that right? I don't ever want drama between us. Not about boys, and not about regions. Deal?"
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Was all we needed
"Gold it is," Soh agreed, already picturing what she had in mind. Her fingers itched for some paper and charcoal so that she could bring her vision to life, but not with Flora here - that would ruin the surprise. For there was no doubt in Soh's mind that her friend would find herself upon Torchline's throne one day very soon.

Soh smiled as Flora declared her affection. A part of her knew that she couldn't make that promise - that she would have to choose Stormbreak, if it ever came down to it, and that that decision might put her at odds with one of her dearest friends, but she leaned forward to hug Flora fiercely all the same. "Deal," she whispered.

And for today, that was enough.

-FIN-
But now I'm bleedin'
Sohalia