[SEASONAL EVENT] When you try your best but you don't succeed
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
{Image: jae-remi.jpg}
REMI
ABRUZZO

When these weary days, when these days are done
We'll be in the sun

Aoife was asleep inside, and Remi stood silently outside. Hands on his hips, he looked up at the tattered remainder of the flags he'd created not so long ago for Ronin. It all seemed so hopelessly pointless now, but though they were in tatters, the alchemist couldn't bring himself to remove them.

But he couldn't bring himself to fix them either.

And so he stood, one arm wrapped around the other as he stared forlornly but with clear eyes up at the flapping fabric. "You would probably tell me I was an idiot for even making them, if you could see them like this." Remi said softly to himself, hearing the guildmaster's voice in his ears and feeling the ringing of his laughter resounding within his soul. "I blame you for making me so sentimental. Or perhaps it is simply the loss of sleep, mm?"

Chuckling wearily at himself, Remi shook his head, and, taking a breath, he reached up to begin to remove the flags.

When these weary days, when these days are through
I'll be working my way
back to you
{Image: fBcU5kd.png}
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
Tell me little dear if you've only lived here,
have you ever really lived at all?

After The Core had appeared, after the barrier had fallen...Sam had panicked. As well as  the swirl of anxiety and tense fear in his chest, there was pain blooming from the hit in his head, his hair wet with fluid. He had not stayed to see the results of the barrier's fall, had only wanted to be away and safe.

Stumbling back towards the town he only had the strength in his mind to move his feet closer to safety, could not look up for too long to work out where he really was. The will to move his legs was beginning to fade, tears clouding his vision.

He did not see Remi stand by the flags, only lost his final scrap of willpower and fell to the street behind him, silently letting the world spin around him as fluid left his head and his panic began to grasp at his heart, pulling at his ribs and making it hard to do anything but try and make it through the pain in his skull.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

He hadn't heard Sam behind him—the ascended always seemed to move with such a strange sort of silence—he did certainly hear him collapse. Spinning around, the shock of coppery hair erased any confusion Remi might have had as to who it was who had fallen so unceremoniously onto the flagstone. Though his heart was wary and heavy, a lifetime of generosity and altruism moved the alchemist's feet immediately to Sam's side.

"Samuel?" He whispered, fingers ghosting over the man's shoulders for a moment, the remembrance of whispered promises and easily offered strains of love still rife and bright in his ears. But there was the note.  The note that had said you are not worth remembering, and for a moment, just the fraction of a second, Remi stalled. He paused. He wondered what it might be like to let Sam be someone else's responsibility, as Sam had in effect done to him.

But no, that wasn't Remi. Even hardened and broken—shattered—as he was, he would never.

"Sam—" He whispered, hands curling around his shoulders and lower back. It was the closest he'd been to the bookmaker in this memory stream anyways, and Remi felt the weight and feel of Sam's body against him acutely. It was nearly too much, and like some sort of restrained animal the alchemist felt his body wanting to shy away from it. His fingers trembled against the fabric of Sam's clothing, and only in quick glances did he let his eyes roam over his body to search for injuries. Any longer than that and he'd see Sam as he had been in the dream, naked and sweet and lovely.

Isla! He great out mentally, grunting slightly as his muscles tensed and he lifted Sam off of the streets. Isla I need you! Grasping at the door with his magic to thrust it open, the alchemist staggered inside with Sam in his arms.

Luckily Aoife was still asleep, and with a brunt sweep of his magic he placed Sam on one of the great tables, laying him there as gently as he possible could while he waited for Isla to return from wherever it was she'd been grazing.

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel

"Yes?" He answered faintly, hardly more than a breath, at the call of his name. The response was more automatic than everything else, Sam's actual soul lost somewhere underneath the overwhelming everything of the situation.

Sam vaguely recognised the voice and blurry figure above him, but not enough for it to mean anything in particular to him. But the warmth of being picked up, the comfort of feeling seen to and protected...he leaned close into the chest of the person holding him, breathing them in and trying to ground himself with the scent. They were real. This was real.

He whined as he was put down on the table away from the comforting warmth. This was cold, felt more clinical; suddenly he was reminded of his pain (it seemed he was only able to focus on his mental or physical anguish one at a time, as if both at once would just be too much) and cried out, curled up on the table and clasped at his head, the fluid from his hair and hands dripping to a dark pool on the table's surface.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

"No, no. You mustn't—" Remi said softly, the sweet quality of his voice sounding hollow as his heart shivered and seemed to ebb away like a dying leaf in the fall. Brightly coloured though it might be, it was nothing but dust when touched. Still, Remi reached for Sam's hands to try and make him settle. Around the bookmaker a blanket suddenly appeared, though he was hesitant to add a pillow. If there was some sort of internal or brain injury raising his head might not be the best for him, though Remi still tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

From behind him somewhere came the familiar clip-clopping of Isla's hooves on the interior floors. With a sigh of relief, he turned to look at her, her blue eyes professional and her posture perfunctory even in her new body. Step aside, please. She instructed, nudging Remi out of the way and dropping her muzzle to Sam's neck to try and feel for a pulse. As an ascended he should be able to live through this, though that didn't mean she couldn't hasten the healing process. After a quick scan, the unicorn exhaled, her tail swishing slightly as she contemplated.

Hold his shoulders please. The last thing we need is him jumping and puncturing himself. Following these instructions easily, Remi moved to stand behind Sam's head, gently pressing his hands down on the man's shoulders and trying to force him to uncurl. "Ready when you are." The alchemist said with a glance towards the healer.

Stepping forward, Isla placed her horn just above where Sam's heart should have been, and a pulse of magical light flit from her to him, healing, fixing, hardening, removing, sculpting, and any number of other minuscule magical procedures that might need to take place. Raising her head with a jerk just in case Sam did jerk, she—and Remi—waited to see if it would be enough.

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

Sam resisted for the smallest fraction of a second against the hands on his (rising panic, thoughts of someone come to take him for his crime, for daring to enter the Spire, for daring to think he was special) but relaxed at the feel of the blanket, the comfort almost as good as the arms from before.

He heard the click of hooves on the floor and tried to look over, confused. But as soon as he moved his head the world began to blur and spin and he tipped himself back upright. Oh. Isla had died, become a Unicorn. He remembered now. Exactly how this transformation had come about he couldn't quite recall, but knowing the healer was here in at some form helped him to calm down.

Remi's hands pushing down on his shoulders were taken easily, Sam relaxing his body with trust in Isla. He glanced up at the sound of Remi's voice (there was something in him that reacted more than was usual to a practical stranger's voice, something he was not in a state to analyse) and closed his eyes tight, worried whatever was about to happen would hurt even more than the body-wracking throbs coming from his head.

And it didn't, not really, but the sudden shift of everything still made Sam tense up, his body arching up off of the table for a moment as he grit his teeth. It was all building, worsening, moving and clicking and --suddenly, there was a sweet, all-encompassing release. With a sigh of relief he let himself completely untense, opened his eyes to look up at Remi and then Isla.

"Th...thank you. Both of you." He said to them with a small, gentle smile. "I owe you my life." While the wound would not of killed him by itself, any more of it in addition to his screaming thoughts and he would have found his own end.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

Remi whispered soft murmurs of reassurance over Sam, phrases of shhh and it will be over soon, and any number of other things as if he were soothing some wounded creature and not the man who had ground to dust his already glass-shattered heart. As Sam arched, Remi  wrapped an arm under and around his jaw to try and steady him, leaning down to place a hand on his sternum to try and force him back down. Eventually he did, and as he did, Remi exhaled a long and shaky breath that he hadn't realized he'd been holding.

The unicorn glanced towards Remi, her work done, and backed away. "Isla says you would have lived. This—ahyour body is strong." The alchemist translated, not realizing that his hands were still on Sam's shoulders. With a surprised sort of flinch he pulled back slightly, swallowing down an unhappy lump in his throat.

Glancing over his shoulder to ensure that Aoife was still asleep (and Sugar with her, which was probably for the best given her reaction to the bookmaker last time), Remi glanced back awkwardly towards Sam. "Ahh...Can I get you something? Water? Or?" He asked, suddenly unsure what to do with his hands and his face, uncomfortable in his own home given who it was suddenly sprawled helplessly on his table.

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

"She...talks to you?" Sam asked, his brows creasing. He did not know of any connection between the Alchemist and the Healer, found it odd that Remi would be able to hear Isla over anyone else. His question was spoken distractedly though, an automatic curiosity on the surface level of his conscious.

Hands on his shoulders were welcome (any other time, Sam would have been embarrassed to have the hands of such a handsome man so near his chest, but now he only wanted the comfort of it) and when they were taken away he audibly sighed, chewing at his lip to bite down the desire to ask for them back.

He followed Remi's glance to Aoife, but he couldn't quite see what he was looking at. "Oh, water...would be nice, thank you. I need to drink, really, but...I think it can wait until I get to a shrine.." Sam was mostly mumbling to himself, fingers stroking over the wet patch of his hair where the wound was gone but the fluid lost remained. "Do you know...what has happened at the Spire?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

Glad for a question he could answer, Remi nodded. "Yes. I hear her quite clearly. I have been told that is not normal for ahh.." He hated calling her a companion, though it was probably the most accurate descriptor of her now. ..companions. But her soul is not like the others."

Right. Ascendeds did not drink water. Still, Remi disappeared momentarily into the kitchen. What he should do was offering himself to the man who was clearly so weak on his table. But the memory of what the bite would do pulsed in bright juxtaposition to the note that he had for some reason, held onto. The note that had ended it all, and the dream which had so sweetly and so devastatingly had followed.

Returning with the water, Remi held it out towards Sam, resting one arm over the other as he shook his head. "No..I heard noises and the ground shook. It was too dark to see much, but with Aoife I could not risk leaving." Nibbling his ilp curiously, he took a hesitant step closer. "Did something happen?"

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

"Companion? Oh." Sam didn't understand, but he also did not have enough mental energy to unpack everything. He had not been especially close to Isla, after all. It was possible she was close enough to his neighbour for them to have bonded after her death. Perhaps he should really get to know this Remi fellow, if she held him in such high regard.

He took the water and gladly sipped it, closing his eyes to enjoy the coolness on his dry tongue. He knew other Ascendeds couldn't feel things, not quite like this, but he did not wonder why in the moment.

"Ah. Yes, it is not a place for a baby..." Now that he was leaned up to drink Sam could see Aoife in the corner, smiled slightly in her direction before looking back to Remi. "A group of us went into the Spire. It was dangerous, and...hard...and I...didn't do much, truthfully. But The Voice is freed and the barrier has fallen. I...never thought this day would come, really." He frowned down into the water, unsure if he was glad of his involvement or not.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

Remi's brows raised softly, but he let Sam speak. That they had gone into the Spire was not surprising. It was why they had taken on the demon after all. Why Ronin had died. Though from what little he knew of Sam in this memory-stream, the bookmaker seemed an odd choice for such an ascent. He was an ascended though. Perhaps that was all there was to it.

"Oh." The alchemist said softly, sweeping a hand through his curls and nodding. He supposed it was good news, though with everything that had happened Remi had a hard time going. Staying or leaving..it hardly mattered now. The memory of the temple, their kiss and promise to discuss plans of just that topic flittered into the forefront of Remi's mind, and wearily he ran a hand across his eyes as if to blur it away.

"So it is just...down? And the Voice is free? And..." Gesturing with his hand for a moment, Remi held his breath, eyes raising as he searched for the words he was looking for. Sighing, too tired to struggle too much, he finally settled on: "..And nothing bad has happened?"

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

"It is, yes. And...I believe she is free. If...I am being honest, I am not entirely sure of the details. I was hurt and upset and did not pay much attention." There was clear embarrassed shame in his voice, fear that Remi would judge him for his clear cowardice, his inability to be the hero from the storybooks he had grown up reading. When he looked at Remi he saw that kind of person, handsome and brave, willing to help a neighbour fallen in the road.

In himself he saw something small and weak, something too cautious for it's own good. Something that was swiftly spiralling towards a breakdown.

Clawing himself up to normalcy he made himself answer. "Well...th..the Ascended whom freed her...I think they were killed. But I didn't know them. Not that that makes it better, but I can't tell you who it was..um...other than that...a lot of people are hurt. But I don't think anyone else is dead." He sipped at the water and shook his head, not really sure. He had been so wrapped up in his own terror to give a truthfully accurate tale of events would be impossible.

"I...am not sure if I am glad in general. I did not want the barrier to fall, but I helped to do it...I am beginning to lose track of who I am and what I want." These words tumbled from him without thought and Sam looked up with some alarm. "I'm sorry. That's..you don't...that's inappropriate for me to share."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
ABRUZZO

We'll be in the sun

"Upset?" Remi said gently, opening the door for his neighbour to expand should he wish. Judgement did not come naturally to the alchemist, and though he was deeply wounded by the man seated on his table, he'd not let his heartache become any sort of weapon. The alchemist would be, unless things got quite dire indeed, always be kind.

But I don't think anyone else is dead.

Remi tried to smile, as a low body count was of course a good thing, but it of course made him think of Ronin which in turn made him want to bury himself under a mountain of blankets. Instead though, he forced himself to nod, clearing his throat slightly. "That is a good thing. Though perhaps I should send Isla, if there are still others who are injured. Though perhaps they have made their way to the infirmary by now?" There was only a bare hint of a question in Remi's voice. If this had been Sam's first stop (unintentional though it might be), he likely wouldn't know at all where anyone had gone after.

Remi couldn't remember if Sam had ever said he didn't want the barrier to fall, though before he certainly had seemed prepared enough for it to do so. When the alchemist had lost his memories apparently a number of other things had changed as well. Perhaps the same could be said for Sam. "No, you are fine." Remi said gently, offering the bookmarker a small smile.

Nibbling the inside of his lip, Sam's words weighed heavily on him. I am beginning to lose track of who I am and what I want. Yes. Losing your memories would certainly do that. Would knowing he had be at all helpful? Remi didn't know. Likely it wouldn't, if the memories had only been about Remi, surely?

"You have been through a lot lately..." The alchemist began, tone vague and his eyes lowered towards the table. "Perhaps your mind just needs time, after all that had been done to it."

I'll be working my way
back to you
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel

"I...ah...yes. The Spire was a difficult challenge. We...we saw people. That we had cared for, who we thought had died...no, they did die." This last part was said to himself, Sam's fist curling into a determined insistence. Even though he was beginning to doubt it, he had to try and believe that Cornelius had been an illusion. That what he had done had been an illusion. "...But we had to kill them again."

The whisper was one of a guilty man at confession and Sam was immensely glad for Remi's gentle smile and reassurances, his warm eyes (if Sam could see the loss in them he did not notice it as keenly as he once had, when he had been fine tuned into Remi's face like a watchmaker at the cogs of his work).

"I...have? Yes, I suppose so..." Sam agreed, unsure what Remi was referring to. It was not a false statement but Sam didn't know what the Alchemist could have lay witness to in his life. As far as he knew his struggles had been either had alone or in the eyes of a very small amount of friends.

"But I..wait. My mind? What do you mean?" Sam held a hand up to his hair where it was wet. "Do you think this wound has addled my mind?" There was clear fear in his voice, true insanity one of his deepest fears.