[se] the ocean soon enough
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
LENA
it's not a sad song
Traveling, initially from skyport to skyport, then in her flying fixtures, had given her much time to process, think, and study the terrain. Bag clenched in her talons, full of herbs, seeds, and medical supplies, it had been a lifeline for all the apprehension soaring through her light little frame as she billowed above floodlines and plains of extended sea – gut-wrenching, to imagine and even begin to fathom the level of destruction thwarted through Caido, and Torchline itself.

Eventually, she landed and shifted, finding her way through the mire and residual efforts, uncertain where to go or whom to ask. Hadama was always a thought, but she was certain he was busy, and she didn’t know Flora. Anyone else residing within the kingdom didn’t come instantly to her mind, and she was once again reminded of how sheltered she’d been, for all those years. Shouldering onward, she began making her way towards the bustling crowd of people, tying a knot in the side of her dress, feet already treading through water. “Excuse me,” she called, hoping not to distract or deter from those already hard at work. “I have some supplies here from Stormbreak,” much as she’d done in Halo, striving to assist where she could. “If you could direct me on where to take them, I’d be grateful.”
if you follow me I'll sing the rest
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
And I hope that you don't suffer
But take the pain
"Me too. I'm available to help wherever."
Glancing over at the other woman, Maea recognized her vaguely as another passenger on the skyship from Stormbreak. It had been a short round trip for her, guarding a caravan with supplies both ways, and now she found herself back in the chaos and destruction to make herself useful.

Standing with filthy water to her thighs, she offered the woman a light nod in greeting, just as a harried looking fellow with a purpled bruise over half his face turned towards them.

"Good, good. What'cha got there then, hm?" he asked curly, looking them both up and down in quick succession.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
Another slid in nearby, and she didn’t recognize the woman, save for Ancient characteristics. It was comforting, perhaps, in some facets, to know so many were willing and able to help, when years before, with war-torn decibels and upcoming barrages, it wouldn’t have been the case. It was unfortunate that destruction and chaos had to be the main cause for ensuring the world came together, but the Caretaker remained eternally optimistic even at the worst of times.

She directed her attention to the man who hastened over instead, eyes going to the bruise and wincing, wishing she had her staff with her. “Oh, I have some herbs, seeds, and medical supplies.” Her eyes shifted to the other woman, before remaining persistent on the goal. “And let me know if there is anything else you all need.” She might not have been gifted in repairs, but she could certainly try.
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
The bruised man nodded curtly and pointed directions as he passed on information in the drone of someone who had repeated himself too many times.
"Supplies go up the hill, to dry place. Medicine over there, the healers will be grateful. Shelters are being built over on that side, away from the wind and wet. Pick your poison." A glint of gratitude and a brief salute to the women, then someone was tugging his sleeve and he turned away.

Maea followed the directions with her gaze, and shrugged with a raised brow as she turned to the other woman.
"I'm Maea," she offered, a brief yet succinct introduction. "What do you think? I'm no healer, but I'd be happy to assist you... unless you'd rather build?" With no preference either way, she was content to follow wherever. In the milling throng of people dealing with all manner of tasks from mundane to gruesome, it was easy to lose track of what one should be doing - honestly, the Ancient was pleased just to be teaming up with someone at this point.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
She flinched inwardly, feeling a bit bad that the man had clearly repeated himself hundreds of other times, but remained stalwart and sturdy on her radiant exterior. “Thank you,” she nodded, before turning to the other woman, maneuvering her supplies in her arms. “I’m Lena.” No need for titles or long-wrought introductions, not when they were clearly both here to work and be of some use.

“I can heal a little,” she murmured, though she didn’t allude to her staff just yet. It was the most basic of mending and tending, but it’d be able to provide some relief – plus they could drop off the medical supplies. She immediately started to head up the hill, where some drier expanse must’ve been aiding in other proportions, ignoring the way the water shimmied over her shoes. “We can see what they need and go from there?”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
She nodded and fell in alongside Lena when the woman headed uphill. "Sounds good to me. Want me to carry anything?" Offering to take some of the supplies, Maea was content to let silence fall after that.

As they worked their way to higher ground, they left flooded ground behind, crossed muddy trails that wound every which way through streets and off out of the city. It didn't take long before her legs burned with the effort of pulling her feet free with every step. The smell of churned up mud, brine and rotting debris baking in the sun made her eyes water; it was the single trait of the Ascended she missed these days. Lacking sense of smell.

Before long, the sound of hammers and saws and the shouting of voices met them, and Maea looked between the shelters being erected, and a growing mound of stacked supplies some distance away, where volubteers dropped off what they had to offer.

"I'm more inclined to pick up a hammer," she admitted to Lena, and paused to consider the options. "Do you have a preference on where you'd like to go?"
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
Working in the Celestine, amidst many different animals and surroundings, ensured the Caretaker was well versed in the mud underneath her boots or the particular aromas disaster seemed to bring on – unbothered, as it was, and able to hold any bothers back. Instead, it was the ambience of suffering around her that hurt, maimed, and wounded her soul – any glance towards angled reaches left an uncomfortable binding in the pit of her stomach. She quietly passed over a portion of one box to Maea though at her offering, so they both could feel at ease as they walked through the refuse.

Her glance went to the crowd of people building, already beginning a steady march towards the mound of supplies. “Let me drop these off first,” and then she nodded towards the hammering noises – not as strong or unyielding, but willing to do what she could to support and endure. “And then I can help too.”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
She nodded, but followed Lena to drop off the supplies anyway. It was not far and the woman was right, it did feel better to have something at hand to do, even if it was only lifting and carrying. It was hard to look at all the destruction. Harder to see the ravaged faces of the Torchers as they dug through the remnants of their homes, hauling out what could be salvaged. In some of them, frenzied digging for survivors - or the deceased - continued, and it was heart wrenching to know that they needed help. All of them did. And yet, she could only be in so many places at once.

Heaving the supplies in place on top of a pile of stacked boxes, Maea dusted off her hands and waited for her companion to join her before heading back. It was a relief to soon be headed towards the foreman for something to do. It wasn't difficult; hands were needed everywhere, and a simple mention that they weren't very experienced builders was all the man needed.
Armed with a hammer and a bucket of nails, Maea was pointed to a newly raised wall that needed a facade, while Lena was offered the choice between joining in the task, or sealing the finished wall with paint against the elements.

With her hands occupied and a task to immerse herself in, Maea settled into a rhythm of hammering and fitting planks that could have been peaceful at any other occasion. And while she was normally content to be silent... that only let her hear the shouts and cries all the clearer. They grated on her, sending chills down the spine, nagging at a black conscience that whispered how easily this could have been another building, where fire once licked the walls and innocent people nearly lost their lives. Every nail in the wall should have eased the burden of guilt. Instead, Maea just felt worse.

"Are you doing okay?" she asked instead, turning to Lena to see how she was getting on. "It's tempting to just work until we drop, isn't it... Not that it'll help anyone if we do."
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
With supplies offered and taken, Lena adjourned to the following tasks, nodding simply and snagging at the bucket of paint. She could do that, surely, and she adhered to those notions of something simple, rather than focusing on what it meant to be pull others out of debris. Like her sister, right before the war –

Swallowing down those harmful and painstaking notions, and perhaps wondering when they’d ever cease, her eyes flickered back to Maea, before rounding towards her current occupation. The sealing was easy, an unrelenting conviction, occupying her mind. “I’m all right. You?” They could always switch roles if it became necessary; the Caretaker wouldn’t mind pressing strength and attention into the hammer and nails.

At the other words, her face took on a plain countenance, fighting off some other unsaid onslaught. “It’s true – if we don’t take care of ourselves, we become a burden too. And there’s certainly enough needs going around. We don’t need to be one either.”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Was she okay? With the work, certainly, aside from the occasional hammer blow to a thumb when she fumbled. But in general... "Not sure," she admitted, foregoing the standard 'I'm fine' for a bit of truth. "Wish there was more I could do here, to be honest. When I heard how bad things were it seemed like the obvious thing to rush in and lend a hand, but... In reality, I wonder if it's making any difference."

Finishing one plank, she went to fetch another. Fitting it against the lattice wall, it took some fiddling to get it level before she could start hammering again.
"But yeah. As tempting it is to work myself to the bone... It's hard, though. Taking breaks, doing nothing and resting while so much needs doing. And it's not even my home." Though it could have been. And she owed it, the city, for her past crimes. Not that she cared to explain that part to the stranger working beside her.

"Do you know anyone here, or are you more like me?" Just there because of some drive to mend broken things?
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
“I’m sure it is,” Lena said immediately, confidently, without question or regret. “If it means one less burden on another within Torchline, it can make a difference.” Someone else wasn’t taking on the brunt of the labor. Someone else would be able to rest. Someone else would have a shelter when they were finished.

Her brush polished down another portion, sealing it together, and she maneuvered further down the line, humming under her breath at the insinuations – well understood, but as someone who had learned from breaking herself apart multiple times, there always needed to be moments for one’s self. “I figure if we find ways to rejuvenate too, then we can help others that much more.” Lena certainly wouldn’t want to languish where others were requiring care and aid.

The inquiry hastened an arch of her brow, but no other prying measures. “I do – like King Hadama. But I’m here to help where it’s needed.”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Lena's conviction was so strong that Maea faltered in her progress, surprised by the swift response. Banging her thumb with the hammer, she winced and sucked on the aching digit, glancing at the woman meanwhile to see if she had said something wrong.
"Hmm... if you say so."

Choosing not to elaborate on her train of thought, Maea picked back up after a moment. It was admittedly a bit strange to realize that she and this person had the merking in common as an acquaintance.In her mind, Kings and leaders were busy people and hard to approach; not someone you just knew. Goes to show how little she knew.

"Ah, of course. Do you come here often, then? Normally, I mean. Not trying to pry or anything... " But even a halting conversation was preferable to spending time with her own thoughts.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
LENA
it's not a sad song
Lena shrugged her shoulders; neither unmoored from her conviction or bothered by the other woman’s lack thereof. Rather than comment on it any further, she continued with the sealant, maneuvering a little further down from where hammering and nailing took place, but still within earshot.

Her head tilted vaguely – not the sort of inquiry she thought might be bolstered her way, but the Caretaker was honest to a fault. “Not really – my job keeps me fairly busy. I’ve come several times to investigate anything going on with plants or animals.” Or a special case, like this one, given everything that had happened to Torchline. “Do you?”
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
But take the pain
Interest piqued, Maea glanced over at Lena in a pause to dig out some more nails from the bucket. "Really. Have you found anything  out about what's going on recently? With the void taint and the purple..." She gestured vaguely to the sky, where the streaks lingered like spilled wine and showed no signs of fading. "We had problems with wine spiders in the Grounds, they went berserk and attacked anything that moved. I've never seen anything like it."

Hammering in the handful of nails finished off the last plank before a window. Taking a slight break to roll out the strain in her arms and shoulders, she would need to saw up new planks next. But in the spirit of not working herself to exhaustion, Maea decided that a water break would make the next few meters of wall more bearable.

"I used to come here a lot," she replied as the question rebounded. "Even looked for a house at one point. But it never happened. Bad breakups and even worse decisions kind of threw a wrench in everything."  Simplifying the events down to bare bones kind of scrubbed out the personal feelings she held of the past. Like this, she could actually talk about it without feeling the sting - as if it happened to someone else.

For a time, she played with the idea of picking up where she had left off; finding a proper home, and making Torchline her place to return to. But while it wasn't an immediate 'no'... some flavor of reluctance grew on the tongue, that eased only when she shrugged the notion off.

Fine. The Hollowed Grounds would get one more chance.
Hope if everybody runs
You choose to stay