[SE] Searching for Solutions
Open!
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Age: 24 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Dew Offline
Change author:
MP: 355
I fear no monsters, for no monsters I see.
The sun was passing its peak in the sky as Thal and her crew approached the "port" at a painfully slow rate. Each movement of the ship was accompanied by a careening tilt to starboard as the water below deck shifted.

Thal clenched her teeth and hoped desperately with each jolt that the hasty repairs would hold. They had attempted to seal the larger gaps in the hull, but the barrels and large panels of wood could not be completely flush with the curved internal structure. Luckily, they had been able to sparingly lather their emergency stash of tar around the patches for a better seal, however, it still wasn't enough to keep the ship from taking on water.

Her body stilled as she recalled her fear days ago. Off the Oerwoud coast, the sky had darkened and lit simultaneously. Everyone on deck went silent. There had been nowhere to run as they stood on the deck of the ship in awe. The world seemed to hold its breath with her as a massive meteor flew overhead. Time slowed in terrible anticipation.

When the meteor finally made impact miles away, she could see the wave of impact and burning debris flying towards them. They rushed to take cover. The ship shook as earth chunks and huge waves crashed into them. It seemed to last only a minute, but the damage was done. A handful of her crew remained standing afterwards, while others cried out from their mortal wounds. She herself had earned a gash in her right thigh that still gave her a pain with every step along with a colorful array of scrapes and bruises.

Her eyes had quickly taken note of the vital problems and rallied to keep the ship afloat. The fires were the primary concern, but the abundance of water assisted their efforts. Once the fires were out, they worked all day and night to patch the most lethal holes. With so few hands, there was little they could do except shove things against the walls and hope they held. They had been lucky enough that there weren't any larger sections ripped out.

Despite their repairs, Thal knew it would only be a matter of time before they had an uncomfortable meeting with the merfolk below. To prevent that, she had needed to get them to the nearest port as quickly as possible. With all except the smallest of her sails burnt or shredded, they could only move at a glacial pace, but it would have to do.

Obviously, someone was watching over her as Thal and her crew crept into the Kaiholo Port. Or what was left of it...  It was time to find a way to fix her ship. She wouldn't let one day ruin her entire life's work.

Becaue all this time the monster has been me.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 62 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 63 - Luck: 62 - Int:
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Melita
they should have checked the ashes
of the women they burned alive
As one of Jack’s crew, Melita held no grand affinity for pirates. Not the unrelenting abhorrence her Captain contained, but certainly a milder state of indifference and vehemence, given the precise dealings and any other happenstances occurring. So she arched her brow at the one limping into port as she assisted with running more supplies towards the Ark – uttering something under her breath. Close to ‘that’s too damn bad’ and ‘sucks to be you’, but that had been the consensus around Torchline lately.

Rotten luck, bad dealings, and a god damn fucking moon island stuck in the sea.

But since Jack wasn’t there and most of the crew were going back and forth, she opted to play the good Samaritan for once. Or perhaps she was merely being nosey. Probably an intermingling of both. Advancing along the wooden frames not flooded over, her companions watched as she perched along the frame; Sila nervously hovering above, while Fangorn grumbled. Cupping her hands around her mouth, she called out to anyone on board. “What do you need?”
because it takes a single wild ember
to bring a whole wildfire to life
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Age: 24 | Height: 5'2" | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Thal attempted to brush the crusted blood and sea water off her only dry black cloak left. The futile attempt only served to stoke her frustrations at the situation. She knew they must look like a shark missing a fin, hoping a starving fisherman might be willing to sew them up. A "dangerous" pirate ship coming to a broken port for repairs? Who was she to ask for help from such a shattered place?

But what other choice do I have?

She surveyed her injured crew as the ship tilted starboard again and a voice reached her ears.

What didn't she need? Food? Medicine? Sails? Wood? Tar? She settled for the simplest response with an exasperated laugh, "Help?"

As the ship finally reached the rubble of planks that had once been an organized port, Thal pulled her hood up over her horns despite the hot sun bearing down. It wouldn't do to give people more reason to withhold aid. She spoke to the one who had called out. "We can offer manpower and strength in return for vital supplies and assistance in repairing our ship." Although Thal was tempted to state their intentions for peace, she didn't think they looked like much of a threat right now. They wouldn't be doing much pirating for the time being. "Are we permitted to come ashore?"

She wasn't sure what they would do if her request was denied, but she didn't imagine her crew would take the news well. Their morale was already at an all-time low. They had never suffered a loss under her command and this felt uncomfortably similar to a loss.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
“No shit,” Melita replied immediately – a great roll to her eyes. She’d been hoping for specifics, considering the amount of supplies, manpower, and whatever else already stretched across the port, and the greater region itself. For all she cared, the ship could limp in and sink, and she was half-tempted to roll her shoulders in a massive shrug and return to what she was doing. Pirates didn’t require her favor.

Though it seemed the captain thought better, and the Honeybee’s eyes flickered over to those actually on the ship. “We may not have many supplies for you,” she offered in truth – one glance towards Torchline would have rendered that. “Assistance, maybe. But you can come ashore.” Besides, if they tried anything, Melita was fairly certain even Sila alone could extinguish the remains of the vessel. And if not, she’d gladly do it instead.

She maneuvered out of the way, bounding and floating on the water for half a moment, permitting the slight and miniscule access to the port.
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Change author:
Thal could have sworn she felt the most dramatic of eye rolls in response to her, but she couldn't afford to lose her head given the situation. They had, after all, granted her permission to "dock".

When the ship finally floated amongst the shattered wooden boards, Thal called for the anchor to be dropped over the starboard side. The plan was to careen the ship the opposite direction to allow dry access to the most damaged sections.

While her crew tended to the ship, Thal determined that her priorities lie in obtaining supplies and rebuilding part of the pier to assist in transporting equipment to the ship. Although they had the dinghy for maneuvering to shore, it was too small to carry large sections of wood or heavy jars of tar.

She took the dinghy to shore and grounded it, stepping onto the sand riddled with debris. Looking around at the destruction, Thal cursed under her breath. Dygra is probably laughing at us all right now. Reveling in all this man-made creation obliterated so easily. I just wish she would realize how difficult it made everyone's lives.

"The name is Captain Thalassa. My crew and I just want to get our ship seaworthy again. We can assist in rebuilding part of the pier. It would make things easier for when others come to assist in the relief efforts."

She kneeled to pick up a small coin she noticed half-buried in the sand. It didn't suit her to act so desperate. Perhaps the trauma of the past few days had gotten to her.

Thal took a deep breath and seamlessly placed a confident grin on her face before turning. "In exchange, we will keep anything gold that we happen to find in the process. We will touch nothing else and the gold will go back to the community when we purchase supplies." For emphasis, she leisurely place the coin into the pocket of her black trousers.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Melita watched – waiting for Jack to appear and start hissing, grunting, or grumbling, but when she seemed to be the only one with any authority or power in the situation (heh), she remained still, eyes narrowing as the ship limped in. Bit of a mess, but she figured it might’ve been caught amidst the tumultuous waves cast by the fucking moon island; striving to make sense of so much of the mess surrounding them. “Did you get fucked up by that shit?” Gesturing with her jaw to the massive rock in the distance.

She didn’t really care much for introductions, figuring this individual would be in and out, and Torchline would continue to deal with its own issues for the foreseeable future. “Sure,” she shrugged, meandering away from the port and beginning to sort through the other supplies; wood and timber mostly, realizing they’d have to raise portions again due to the heavy flooding. “I’m Melita.”

As for the other contributions, the Honeybee snorted. “Not gonna find much. Mostly been picked over.” If that tiny gilded speck was any notion; it might be the only thing the pirate saw all day. Whatever – far be it for the smuggler to cease anyone’s avarice, and it was the least of her concerns.
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Change author:
Thal scoffed. "No. It was the Cloud Mantases." She wasn't about to admit anything to this stranger. Instead, she gestured to her crew across the water. The flick of her hands indicated that they should begin repairs on their end until she called them ashore. They were strong-willed, but not the brightest. She didn't need them unintentionally starting anything without her supervision.

As Melita began sorting, Thal glared at her back in assessment. She had to respect the woman's candor. Obviously, there was little tolerance for chat or pleasantries. That suited her fine. It just meant she could drop the niceties and get to work.

She began gathering timber that may be optimal for a ship's hull or haphazard pier. A pile started to form near her dinghy. "Just wanted to manage expectations. Wouldn't want you getting the wrong idea about us." Thal flicked her tail subtly for emphasis. With so few others around, her original trepidation was beginning to fade.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Melita gave the largest snort of all – loud and obnoxious and disbelieving – at the answer. “Right,” came with a flippant hand wave – but if the pirate didn’t want to discuss how the ship had been damaged, then she could keep it to herself. The Honeybee had merely been seeking information about any other potential disasters out there – largely caused by the island and its set of dramatics. She half-hoped the crew would turn around and get fucked up once more with that kind of attitude. It’d be funny.

Turning away and rolling her eyes again, the smuggler snagged at a few more pieces of timber, lugging them over where the other pile had begun to form. “Too late for that.” She dropped the wood loudly, before maneuvering back to grab more bundles.
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Change author:
She shrugged. "As long as you stay out of my way."

Obviously done with the conversation - now that their situation had been clarified - Thal turned back to the work.

A comfortable rhythm began to set in. Pick up the wood, inspect it, place it in the pile. So far, most of the pieces had been snapped but salvageable. Although it would still take time, it looked like there would be plenty of wood. Melita had been right about how many valuables she might find, but Thal refused to admit that. Instead, she glanced up in surprise that others had apparently come and completed the port while she had been distracted with collecting. That just left one less step for her.

Thal began shifting her pile to the end of the pier and signaled to her crew to bring the ship closer. By the time the sun was nearing the horizon, the ship had crept up to her location. She ordered her crew to careen the ship again in preparation for repairs. When her commands had been followed, the ship was positioned for easy access to the damage.

She lifted up the first plank of wood that fit the gap, anxious to start the process despite the setting sun. There was a lot of work ahead. Not caring if the fiery redhead had stuck around, Thal sang a sea shanty to the rhythm of her work.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
The last accusation and statement left her openly cackling – a loud, raucous bout of laughter that ensured Melita knew full well the extent of her power, and that Thalassa the pirate captain was absolutely nothing. Not here in Torchline.

Still chuckling to herself and amidst her crew, they had a suitable pile and repairs beginning. And even if the Honeybee was tempted to just blow the whole god damned thing up and have another good set of giggles, the lands within still needed the manpower to complete more than a day (a season’s)’s worth of work.

Ignoring the sea shanty, save for a roll of her eyes, the smuggler tossed another bout of wood and timber towards the rest of the able-bodied.
Thalassa Sanguis
Pirate Captain

Change author:
Thal knew she didn't amount to much here, but Melita's laughter seemed dramatic to her. Ignoring the dig at her reputation and failed attempts at intimidation, she continued to work diligently.

Each piece of wood was shaped and formed to fit the intended section. Despite being "debris", it was finding a second purpose in life by supporting her and her crew on The Marauder. Perhaps it would one day be part of a legend as Thal hoped.

In the setting sun, the ship slowly began to stitch together. They still had plenty of wood, but the receding light made it difficult to see their progress. It was obvious that the holes were sealed, however, the finishing touches would have to be done in the light of day.  Before long, Thal called out to her crew, "Okay. We're calling it a day. Good work. Find a spot to set up camp." She stepped onto the pier and walked past Melita towards the beach.

Only food and rest were on her mind at this point. A nearby grove of molten pineapples called her name with a comfortable-looking tree next to it. She had no plans to be anywhere else for the night. Now that her ship's vital injuries were repaired, she felt at ease.
THALASSA
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Tending to her own mission, eventually the sun wound down, and though they could’ve worked by lantern light, the crew had certainly done enough for the day. She rolled her eyes at the pirate as she moved by, but otherwise ignored her. “I think we’re due for a rest,” she nodded to the remains of them – and with permission they were already hastening for the Ark’s decks or any bar that was still held together.

With the dock set up, and repairs undertaken, there wasn’t much else to do. The Honeybee secured any wood not used, ensuring it would be at a later time for future purposes, and then left everyone else to their own devices. She'd certainly let Jack know there was a pirate skulking and hanging around though, for the additional brand of chaos.

{FIN}