Devil with a blue dress on
Open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
MAEA
A dress. Where was she supposed to find a dress? What did a nice dress even look like? Maea had spent so much time in the same ratty looking clothes that she had lost all sense of fashion. Not that she had ever had much of that to begin with; but there had been a time when she was likely to be found in frilly skirts and pale lace, boldly spoiling herself with everything she couldn't have while the Barrier lasted.

This time, she craved another kind of change. Like a moth emerging from a cocoon, Maea wanted to paint an image of herself that came closer to what she wanted to be. Someone stronger, more confident, who could be both beautiful and dangerous at the same time. That her dress would also be her armor was only fitting; but it meant she had to pick it carefully.

Despite her intentions though, Maea felt out of place as she roamed the boutiques of the Last Whisper. The shop keepers were beautifully dolled up, just like their patrons, and she stood out like a sore thumb. Like a lightning struck tree in the middle of a flower meadow, stark in her black and white and lost in the sea of colors, textures, weights and qualities, she ran scarred hands over wool and silk, satin and velvet and wondered what had gotten into her when she asked for a dress of all things.

Or a robe. A dress or a robe - there were options.

A loud 'tsk' issued from the direction of the counter when Maea pulled a dress from the rack. Looking up, she found some ladies giggling to each other and glancing her way; color started to burn in her cheeks, and the hastily put the garment back. Only to curse herself for giving a damn about what strangers might think of her.

Catching a glimpse of herself in a mirror, the person who stared back seemed like a stranger, too. The bold curve of her horns jutting from the tousled hair startled her, much like the glimpse of fangs when she tried a smile; grimacing back at pale creature, Maea turned away.

She might have to ask for help, after all. But from whom? That was the question.
I'm an angel bored like hell
And you're a devil meaning well
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
we shall heal our wounds, collect our dead
It's not a saying as such, because who says things like that, but it's certainly true that where one Taliesin goes, the other is likely not far behind. It doesn't matter that he and his husband aren't roaming the Hollowed Grounds together; it's enough that Remi is in the area for Ronin to be there as well, though he's not up to as much violence or mischief (not today at least).

No, today he's ducked down the steps from the main street and into the Last Whisper, which has surprised him not only with its variety of bars, boutiques and other establishments, but also in how different it is to the Grounds he once knew. Smiling despite himself, the Nova ducks into a nearby shop to peruse, only for a series of giggles to draw his attention.

At first thinking it's just a few girls enjoying themselves, he's rather put out to see it at the expense of someone else - someone, in fact, he's sure is dead. But no, it's definitely Maea, and it's with surprise in his blue eyes that Ronin approaches her. "Hey," he calls in greeting, a warm smile on his lips. "Gods, it's been a while, Maea. How are you?"
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Never meet your heroes, is another saying, but it used to be much more difficult to live by. There had been a time when Maea got far too close to the ones she looked up to,  and the consequences had been dire indeed. That didn't mean she was upset to have her name called out, or troubled by the sight of Ronin as he made his way through the isle towards her. It was more akin to vertigo, or perhaps Deja Vu. Just a feeling, whether accurate or not, that some pattern had repeated itself yet again, or like the earth had shifted beneath her feet just so slightly to the side, and nothing would ever be the same again.

A silly thought, really. Of far more importance was the radiance of that smile he leveled at her; Maea thought she understood how it might make even a goddess weak at the knees.

"Hello Ronin," she greeted, trying and failing to keep the color from spreading furher up her cheeks. "I am well. Surprised, though. Never thought I would see you in the Grounds again." A soft smile suggested it to be a happy kind of surprise, though; especially when she noticed a stunned silence spreading from the direction of the crude women.

"Dare I ask how you have been? It's been... what, almost eight years?" Too long. Only yesterday. The trouble with dying and turning to stone was how it messed with her sense of time; it felt like no time had passed since she first learned his name, in the wake of the battle against the Spire monster.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"I never thought I'd find myself here again either, in truth. It's come along quite a ways since the barrier, hasn't it?" Ronin says, glancing around the boutique as if the finery on display is evidence enough of the new life in the region. If he notices the stunned silence from the women, too, he doesn't give them a fraction of his attention, which is hopefully enough to drive the point home all by itself.

Letting out a low whistle as he does the math in his head, Ronin nods and winces at her. "Eight years," he repeats with a shake of his head. "Gods, has it really been so long? I'm doing well, yes - Remi and I are living back in Torchline these days. He's in the Grounds on Ludo business, and so I thought I'd see if I could get him something nice to make up for it." You know. The murders, and all.

"Are you shopping for anything in particular?"
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Following Ronin's gaze to the shop they stood in, the sound of people moving back and forth through the corridors outside and the scents of food and drink merged with voices and laughter into a subtle drone, a bouquet of sensation she couldn't have imagined before the barrier fell. The old inn might have been rowdy at times, but never was there such abundance to be had there; not at weddings, nor funerals, or even the celebrations at Fiat Lux where most had been able to eat their fill at least for one day of the year. In some ways, yes, the Grounds had come a long way. Yet Maea still saw the dripping tunnels of the Underground when she peered past the stalls and shops; could almost hear the squeaking of rouxs and feel the cold chill of unease tip-toe down her spine if she closed her eyes.

She kept her eyes fixed on Ronin to avoid the visions, offering a crooked smile in shared astonishment that time kept passing them by no matter what went on in the world. "Mmh, I actually ran into Remi a while ago... I'm glad you're both doing well - if anyone has earned peace it would be you two." And if anyone earned something nice it would be Remi, after what she'd found out about the work he did for Ludo.

"Me? Oh..." Rubbing the back of her neck, she glanced about the shop at the clothes, "I'm looking for a dress. Need to update my wardrobe, so I figured I might as well do something drastic. But I... don't really know what I want." Change, but in what way? How did you remake yourself without also losing yourself? She wanted something bold, something proper, something practical and striking without going overboard, that was comfortable without looking cheap... It was a lot to ask of a single garment, and her expectations for the final result - what it might feel like to pull the armor on and know that it would keep her safe, make her strong - blinded her to the reality of what this little underground store had to offer.

"What does Remi like? Maybe I can help point you in the right direction," she offered, more than willing to set her own quest aside for a moment to help someone she'd always wanted to befriend.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"That's kind of you to say," Ronin murmurs, smiling softly at the mere notion of peace now that the world has become so turbulent again. "After the war we lived up in the Cordillera for a couple of years. That was very peaceful, despite what you might think for a place so dangerous." No neighbours, no visitors, and nothing that could pose much of a threat to two demigods.

"We decided it was about time we paid attention to current events again, though." Just in time for everything to go to purple-hued hell as it happens. Anyway.

Clearly Ronin finds the idea of shopping much more interesting than imminent void threats; he all but lights up to hear that Maea is looking for a dress. "Do you need any help?" he asks. "It's been a long time since I was in a place like this." As for what Remi likes, the Nova lets out a warm laugh.

"Remi would walk around in a burlap sack if it was up to him," he says of his lover's dress sense. "Sometimes what he gravitates towards and what he'd like are very different. I'll know it when I see it." And it will probably be outlandish and beautiful and overstated; precisely the opposite of the Lullaby's usual tastes.
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Lavender eyes lit up with curiosity at the mention of the Cordillera. "Really? All I have heard of those mountains is danger and dragons. What I wouldn't give to explore it one day..." Color rose in her cheeks with the notion, imagining herself standing on a mountain path overlooking valleys and peaks as sunlight glittered on dragons soaring through the sky... "Though I suppose that would take away from your peace, wouldn't it." Like mushroom pickers traipsing through your backyard while you lay sunbathing in the nude. And Maea had no illusion of being capable enough in a fight to not have to worry about dragons.
"Rather selfishly, I'm glad if the affairs of the world means I have a chance to see you both more often," she admitted. "More than once every eight year or so, at least." Though her grin was playful; the last thing she wanted was to endager them just because she was lonely.

His offer to help was unexpected, and Maea raised a pale brow at the Supernova in curious delight. "I would love help," she replied. "You wouldn't happen to know what's appropriate for more official situations? Without being so over the top that it's impractical. I want... I guess I'm looking for the kind of dress that makes you confident just by wearing it." Again; a lot to ask of a single garment. But if anyone could find such a thing it had to be Ronin, she thought, without any basis for the confidence.

Laughing at the idea of Remi in a potaoe sack she nodded acceptance of the difficulty in shopping for others, and gestured to the shop at large. "They have more than I expected down here. My budget isn't vast, but I can afford to splurge on this one thing... See anything that might work? If not there is another store down the hall."
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"Well, let me know if you ever want to go for a wander up there. The dragons have never bothered Remi or I much, or anyone we bring with us." Ronin's smile, just like his offer, comes easily, and he lets his hands rest comfortably in his pockets. "And I assure you - there are a lot of things that have appeared lately that have taken away our peace, but you wouldn't be one of them." A jaunt up into the Cordillera might even be considered a break given the land mass lurking beyond Torchline's shores these days.

Sunny and content to be able to help Maea with her dress, the Nova steps back a little to look at everything on offer. "It's been a long time since I was involved in official situations," he admits, "but I did grow up a baron, believe it or not. The trends change, but the basics stay the same. Ladies at court would either be daring with the length of their gown - or lack of, I should say, or they'd keep it full length but show off other assets."

As for anything that might work, Ronin is already browsing the racks, glancing back at Maea every now and then as if to judge her complexion and body shape against the garments he sees. "Did you have any colours in mind?"
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
The wide smile stretching across her lips was bright as a sunrise, surprised by the offer to come visit. For someone who had always thought herself on the periphery of anything that mattered, it was a touch overwhelming; even being noticed by one such as Ronin was incredible. To be welcome, and allowed to linger - that was close to miraculous.

"I hope I'll get a chance to take you up on that offer," Maea replied warmly. "Let's hope this threat will be a passing thing that's quickly dealt with."

"A baron is a noble title, right? I could see it." Following Ronin's cue, she too turned her intrigued inspection of her company over to the racks to inspect the options. While the overwhelm remained, she had an easier time of actually considering the garments now that there was company to lean on for advice. Humming over the description Ronin offered, she thought about her own situation.

"For me... I'd say full length skirt. Not too wide, so I can walk properly - and for color, something dark. Black, or even red would be good." Red would definitely be more bold and daring - it was a color for turning heads and standing out - but a muted hue would suit her tastes best.

"Do you think it silly of me, to put so much effort into clothes? It's not like anyone will really care... there are no courts like in your world." Pulling out a dress, Maea held it up to her chest and glanced at a mirror. The fabric was heavy, a rich velvet that draped beautifully over her hands; alas, big enough for two of her, and very much green. She put it back on the rack, reaching for its neighbor; this one was properly dark, but the fabric felt cool and flimsy; thinking of the Deepfrost winds seeping through the generous decolletage made her shiver - that dress too returned to its place.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"That would be nice," Ronin agrees, of the dangers that have crashed into Caido passing relatively quickly, though the gentle furrowing of his brow indicates that, for all the hope in the world, he doesn't think it will be so easy. It's much preferable to think of things a little less catastrophic in nature, and the Nova is all too pleased to turn his attention to the clothing racks and Maea's fashion conundrum.

He nods at her responses, offering another smile as he glances over his shoulder. "You'd look good in that. Maybe a slit along the side of the skirt, too? Subtle, but it would let you move more freely if you needed to run or crouch." Thumbing through the racks, Ronin withdraws such a garment - black but not too heavy material-wise, with layers and a plunging neckline. "Hear me out," he says, holding it up to her. "You can always choose something like this, for example, but take it to a seamstress to customise it. Maybe some red fabric on the underskirts, so it only shows when you move?"

Clearly he does not think it silly of her, Ronin playfully scrunching his nose. "Absolutely not. Circumstance has made me wear whatever fits and is comfortable, but I'll never pass up an opportunity to dress up."
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
Touching the fabric of the dress as Ronin held it out, she tried picturing herself wearing it the way he suggested. It was not an easy thing to envision, but then neither was the idea of herself as a confident person. That was the whole idea; of creating a new option, a different frame of reference to measure herself against.

Slowly a smile began to work its way from her lips and to the eyes. "I like that," Maea nodded. "It's a really good idea."

Just to make sure she couldn't find something else that really sparked with her she flipped through the rack one more time. And while there were plenty of beautiful garments there, in the end she turned back to Ronin and the almost perfect sample he had picked out.

Her smile turned cheeky as she reached out to accept the dress.
"Maybe we should hold a ball sometime. Then everyone else would have to dress up too. And dance." Her brows wiggled up and down like it was the most scandalous suggestion.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"Thank you - I've been known to have them on occasion. I'll be sure to mention it to Remi," Ronin says with a warm chuckle - good ideas, he means. Setting the garment to one side so Maea can continue to peruse the racks of garments - and Ronin does the same, as well, because he isn't one to settle on the first item he sees either - in the end, they both come back to it, and he smiles his satisfaction.

"Ah, a ball. It's been a long time since I went to one of those." He grins, fully embracing the scandal of such a thing. Dressing up, dancing, socialising? Unheard of. "Well, if I receive an invitation to one, I'll be sure to come. Did you want to try this on?" He gestures to the dress he's handed to her. "Just in case it looks like a miracle on the rack but ends up falling short of expectations."

That's what seamstresses are for, in fairness, but it's Maea's choice.
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"Oh, right. I probably should." Honestly Maea would have taken the dress as is and lived with any flaws it turned out to have, but if she planned to make it the foundation of her new wardrobe then perhaps she ought to make sure it didn't chafe.

"What season is best for balls, you think?" Sweeping up the gown she sauntered off and vanished in behind a curtain to try it on. "I just might talk to Danta about it... Since everyone I've talked to is so enthusiastic about working together against the Void threat, a party and some official talks to compare notes might be what we need."

It took her a moment to navigate the fastening and the underskirt. The neckline was more a plunge than a swoop, and the light draft tickling her skin left her very conscious of all it did and did not conceal... Even so, the color in her cheeks did nothing to cloud the glitter in her eyes when Maea parted the curtain and slipped out to show Ronin.

Was her back a little straighter than before? Did she carry her chin a little bit higher? At the very least there was no denying that the color looked striking against her pale complexion.

"... what do you think?"

Not that it mattered. The swelling warmth in her chest already told her what her own answer would be.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
Sitting himself down on a little bench as Maea disappears to get changed, Ronin hums thoughtfully to himself while admiring a few cravats on display. "I think you can make any time work, truthfully," he says. "Since we're approaching the colder months, you might consider making it a little more weather friendly." Braziers, indoor areas, that sort of thing. "I used to enjoy Longheat evenings the most, though." A shame that they're exiting the season, in truth.

Maea's idea is a good one regardless of the time of year, though - official talks wrapped in a party? Ronin's eyebrows raise, impressed, before he realises she can't actually see him right now. "That sounds like a great idea. It isn't too often that the regions mingle in an official capacity." And maybe this way relationships will continue to grow within the Hollowed Grounds.

Blinking himself away from imagined dances, suits, gowns and banquets, Ronin glances up to see the Ancient emerge in her new dress, and his beaming smile already gives away his opinion. "Honestly? It looks as though it was made for you," he says. "How does it feel? Is it easy to move in?"
THE SUPERNOVA
and continue fighting