After the fall
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
From below the hull was recognizable enough, but as he surfaced the mermanta had to take a moment to assure himself that he had, in fact, found the Taliesins' houseboat and not a small, lush, floating island. The effect was decidedly charming and Hadama took several moments to admire the vessel and its cheerful cloak of living greenery before he called out to those - hopefully - within.

"Good morning," he rumbled, deep voice rolling over the water. Morning it technically was, though it would be noon in short order if the Leafchange sun overhead was still accurate at telling time. The streaks of violet that slashed the sky were an unsettling reminder that such things could not, perhaps, be taken for granted anymore, but for the time being it was all they had.

He swam closer, to the very edge of the boat, though he did so slowly in order to give the men inside time to decide on how they wanted to respond before he spoke again. "May I speak with Remi?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
That's the way my heart beats now
Having been outside reading in the sun, it was with a wince that Remi heard the mermanta's voice call out. He'd been intending to catch the king before he announced his presence, but having been engrossed in his book, had apparently missed the window of opportunity. Immediately rising, the Lullaby sent a soothing pulse of reassurance toward his husband, who, given the Leafchange chill in the air, was not as welcoming of visitors as he otherwise might have been. This should not take long, why don't you make tea? He suggested to the Nova, before appearing on the deck with a crooked smile for Hadama.

"Good—" Glancing up toward the sun with a slight frown, unsure what time it strictly was, Remi shrugged. "—day." So saying, he sat on the edge of the deck so that his feet could sink down into the chilly waters. "Thank you for coming all the way up here."
Up until the last sunrise
I'll be reaching for you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Some of Hadama's stoicism eased, his shoulders relaxing as Remi came into view looking healthy and whole (more or less). There was even a smile on the Lullaby's face that was far more reassuring than any letter. As the scarred demigod settled down on the edge of his home the mermanta swam to where they could speak comfortably but he could still bask in the Leafchange sun. His cold resistance might have inured him to the chill waters, but he still enjoyed the heat that warmed his skin and dried his hair.

"A pleasant swim," he assured his host. "And a peaceful journey today, at least." Without harassment by Enshadowed Dolphins or Voidshell Tumseas this time. Not all of his travels were so lucky these days. "Have you and Ronin recovered fully?" To be sure the Lullaby was truly well after his experience before beginning the questions about the island that now lurked in their waters like a promise and a threat of worse to come.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
"Glad to hear it." Letting his feet cycle gently in the water, Remi glanced over his shoulder before shrugging loosely. "Physically, yes. I cannot say it does much for our minds to wake up every morning and just...see it out there, though." No doubt it was the same for Hadama. Sighing, Remi pulled his gaze from where Starfall rose ominously from the horizon and instead looked at the merKing.

"At least no one has ventured out that way. Not that I have heard, anyhow." His voice rose slightly as did an eyebrow, wondering if that was actually the case, or if any other misadventures on the island simply hadn't reached his ears yet.
I'll be reaching for you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"I am glad you were not injured like Flora was in the Climb." His voice and gaze were both sober as he followed Remi's look to the violet-shot horizon, recalling the unhealing wound that had plagued the Doubletake far longer than it should have. He let his eyes linger there a little longer before he turned his attention back to the Lullaby, a pulse of agreement in the bond for the mental strain of Starfall's presence looming over them, far larger than the island's silhouette alone.

"I have heard no reports of other ventures there," he confirmed, tilting his head at Remi, with a flicker of tired amusement in his gaze. "Since yours." Poking the anemone to see if it stung, and finding that it did, indeed. They were all very lucky that Flora's fathers had escaped intact. "At least, none that have returned." Reports of people gone 'missing' could be the fault of echo sharks and sea panthers as easily as doomed attempts to scout the moon-island. "What is the island like? Did you see plants or animals?" Aside from the dragon they had been warned about.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
"Mmmm. I hear it is thanks to you that Flora was healed of that." Remi says, grinning. No doubt his daughter would have gone on her merry (and infected) way had Hadama not stepped in and made the request from Rae on her behalf. Then again, it likely benefited everyone to have Torchline's leadership not poisoned by the void. Still, he appreciated it just the same.

'I am glad to hear it.' Remi says, looking out toward the island with patient animosity for the danger it presented. "Well.." Itching at the stubble on his cheek, the Lullaby dragged his gaze from the violet storms back to the merKing. "It reminded me of the Climb, I suppose. All porous rock for the most part, though there did seem to be vegetation higher upon the peaks and cliffs." Void vegetation to be sure, but it wasn't as though Starfall was nothing but rock.

"There were void-dragons that I saw. One nearly chased me down as I was trying to flee." Briefly the Lullaby had thought about taking to the water but had refrained if only because he couldn't be sure what lurked in the depths. "There was also a pack of fyrrhunds I saw."
I'll be reaching for you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Remembering the glare that Flora had shot him at the time it had all happened, Hadama settled for a simple inclination of his head in acknowledgment of what he'd done. As his co-leader and friend, he preferred Flora to be not suffering from untreatable wounds if there was anything he could do about it. And in truth, if she hadn't called upon one of the Big Gods it still might not have worked.

But unfortunately the day's visit wasn't entirely a social call - though that was something he needed to find more time for as well - and he turned the conversation to what Remi had witnessed on Starfall itself.

And the picture that was painted was one of a volcanic island, much like many others in the sea. Except for being a nest of Void-related life, both plant and animal. That a dragon should be one of the animals affected was a significant problem, indeed, and one that boded poorly for far more than just Torchline. Hadama nodded, confirming the information from the previous season's letter and making note of the fyrhunds. "Did you see any life on the island that was not touched by the Void?" He paused, and then added: "How long were you able to explore before you were...hmm. Interrupted?" Intercepted? Discovered? Or had they been under surveillance from the moment they approached the island?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
Scrunching his nose slightly and narrowing his eyes, Remi tried to recall if anything he saw on Starfall had seemed normal. Exhaling sharply, he closed his eyes and nodded. "Just her. Dahlia. At least, she was the only thing that did not look immediately void-touched." Therein was the problem, of course.

Swallowing, Remi opened his eyes. "Not long at all. She was on me almost instantly. Whether she was alerted to the fact that I was coming or if the island was able to somehow tell her—" Or indeed any other of the myriad ways she might have know. "—but it was almost right away. I wonder..." Feathering his jaw slightly, the Lullaby lowered his gaze to the Tidebreaker.

"How utterly foolish do you think it would be to borrow Flora's invisibility ring and go look around again?"
I'll be reaching for you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama waited patiently for Remi to search his memory, and admired the green, healthy plants that cascaded over the side of the boat while he did. His emerald gaze only occasionally rose to rest on the Lullaby, but he otherwise gave the other man a chance to think in peace.

"Hmm. That is... concerning. That she has no outward signs of the Void." His stoic mien cracked a little in worry, brows twitching together as his tail swept through the dark waters beneath his body like a whip.

What could or should be done about it he did not know, but the question that emerged next drew his attention back to the sea-glass eyes of the scarred man before him.  Hadama tilted his head to the side slightly in consideration before he shook it. "Very," he admitted, but not without a flicker of respect and wry humor in the Attuned bond. "But I do not have a better idea. And it is something worth trying. Hmm." He subsided into thought for a few moments before speaking again. "How fast can you retreat if you are discovered again?" Uncertain if teleportation numbered among the Lullaby's abilities.

And blissfully unaware of how wrong another test in King's End had recently gone.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
"Nothing at all." The Lullaby confirms with a sad shake of his head. "She looked as any of the women around here do." Which was to say beautiful and well-dressed.

"Mmm." Kicking one of his feet in the water before glancing surreptitiously over his shoulder to ensure his husband wasn't about to possessively assert himself into their conversation, Remi turns back. "Well, if I go at night when I can be sure Ronin is asleep, I can teleport myself almost instantly. From what I felt last time Dahlia's powers did not affect my ability to use my own, so..." Of course, that didn't mean the situation would be exactly the same as it had been when last he'd gone.

"If I went, what would you have me look for? Just general information about what is on the island?"
I'll be reaching for you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The conundrum had afflicted them since Remi had first reported on the woman, but they still had no easy answers. Whatever Dahlia was, and whatever her intentions, she could pass among the people of Caido without notice. Whether an afflicted Natural or something wholly alien, they simply did not know.

Still, it could not be changed, so for the moment Hadama focused on what they could do. Or rather, what Remi could do. Though that glance over his shoulder was noted, and Hadama tilted his head to the side as he considered the demigod. "Hmm. If Ronin agrees," he said slowly, "in case a rescue is needed. Then, yes, information about the island, and if there are people other than this Dahlia there. What they look like. And I wonder... if there are caves inside it?" Like Rae's Fingers, perhaps? Or the Climb's Burrows? "What do you suggest?" A former leader in his own right and a man with much experience of Caido's strangeness, Remi hopefully had his own ideas of what he wanted to go back to Starfall for.

"I do not know if this will help. But here," he offered, reaching into one of his pouches and drawing out a small monocle in a golden frame. "A gift from the kraken." In a manner of speaking. "It can see through illusions." From what he knew of the Lullaby he trusted Remi to return it safely and prioritize survival over heroics. Something Hadama approved of in his Torchers. He would rather live subjects than dead heroes.

They already had too many of those.

Hadama has given Remi his Varylens!

Type: Grey | Style: Other | Level: Mastered
Varylens | A golden monocle that can see through even the strongest of illusions, at a range of 10m.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
Chuckling under his breath, Remi can only half-roll his eyes in agreement. "If Ronin agrees." He says with a nod. "I am almost sure there are caves given how porous the rock is, but it would be good to confirm. Starfall might look empty, but I can assure you that it is not."

Nibbling on his bottom lip for a moment, the Lullaby can only sigh and shake his head. "I was never much of an explorer, but I am sure I can do a good enough first pass." Not with the sort of accuracy of a cartographer, but at the very least Remi wasn't so fresh to the world that he would be ignorant of the important landmarks.

Raising his eyebrows at the offered monocle—all the moreso to hear of the kraken—Remi reaches out to accept the small golden disc. "Thank you. Gods know I have been tricked by illusions often enough in the past." Ludo especially.
I'll be reaching for you
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Mmn. Could you use a spyglass from a safe distance to see if there are new structures?" the mermanta wondered aloud, putting an additional thought into words as they considered the dangers inherent in a personal visit to the perilous island. Only Remi and Ronin would know what had changed between their first visit and this one; no one else would be able to tell what had been part of the original and what was new construction or... whatever passed for change on this foreign skyshard.

Regardless of whether the quiet demigod went all the way or not, the best cartographer in the world was still useless if they were not strong enough to return safely with the information they learned. That made Flora's fathers two of the best people qualified to undertake this reconnaissance, regardless of previous exploration experience.

Though he had heard that Remi had quite a bit of that when it came to fighting monsters and hunting relics around Caido, from cities to wilds and everywhere in between.

The monocle was an investment in the return of the man before him from this proposed mission; an item whose best use was to ensure that the brave volunteer came safely home again to his daughter and husband, and that Torchline would not have another citizen to mourn. "Indeed? I have not prayed to it before," Hadama admitted. "I wonder if its illusions are strong enough to trick this Dahlia...?" A mostly rhetorical question, but he tilted his head curiously at the (former? Insert timeline uncertainty here) demigod who might know better than he did.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
the lullaby
Heavy like a landslide
"I could try, I suppose." Remi agreed; he could use his avian vision and communicate what he saw back to Ronin—or perhaps even Sohalia, as both an attuned and cartographer. "It would be good to know if things are changing over there."

As for Ludo's trickery and what use it might be, Remi nods thoughtfully err timelines. "I can certainly ask it. It does quite like playing tricks and I am sure that it would not be happy about these new arrivals wreaking havoc, although..." Squinting slightly at nothing in particular, or rather, not seeing the thing currently on his mind, Remi sighed. "These ghosts that have been around are not its doing. I think they have it fairly preoccupied just now."

Gently placing the monocle in his pocket, Remi offered the mermanta an appreciative smile. "I will be very careful with this, and will return it as soon as we are back." If Ronin let him go willingly, that was.
I'll be reaching for you