Children of the Revolution
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Wessex plays favorites. Everyone does. Let’s not try to pretend otherwise.

In her analytical mind, there is only one Ascendant left worth associating herself with, and she imagines he might feel the same. Cool kids unite. The leather-wearing, Edy-fucking, badass, snarky ‘siblings’ should have a grand ‘ol time exploring the new world together, shouldn’t they? Get to know each other a little bit more, make plans to take over the world. You know, the kind of things competitive, biologically enhanced families do together.

Wessex crouches in the wild, high grass between the scorch line and the forest. She’s been there for a bit now, still as a statue, watching and waiting, seeing as much as she can, listening, and smelling. She’ll go in soon, she’s just waiting for the inevitable curiosity to sink in. And with the sun below the horizon, it’s time for them to play. Like the little blips of light that keep floating around the darker shadows that mark the entrance to the forest. They seem pleasant enough.

She is… cautiously optimistic.

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm
Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:

"Boo." Lucas's voice was all silk and shadows, the Ascended appearing near Wessex as though the darkness had parted like a curtain to let him through. He had lost his coat when he had covered the Core with it, so he was left only in the shirt whose sleeves he had folded to the elbows. Luckily it was Flowerbirth, and he couldn't feel the cold anyway.

Green eyes flashing from Wessex out into the deep, dark forest and the glowing orbs that bobbed and weaved within, he bared his teeth in a grin. "Anything interesting?" he asked, sidling up beside her but not deigning to lean down. "I am surprised, that your curiosity hasn't yet gotten the better of you."

LUCAS
don't you know there ain't no devil

it's just god when he's drunk

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
“Some movement,” she responds without looking at Lucas. “Mostly animals, and they seem to be unafraid. Fucking hunter’s paradise if they aren’t. Nothing on two legs, though.”

Not yet, she refrains from saying, though she ends up grinning a little mischievously at the thought. If there are others in there, they’re probably watching and waiting, too. Waiting to see what kind of wretched creatures crawl out of the bubble and try to invade their land. Cause that’s what they were doing, right? They’re the new Outlanders (Insiders?), lookin’ for something better and there’s a fucking smorgasborg in front of them. Only three hundred years of imprisonment has them wary and distrustful - for all they know it’s all poisoned and eating of the fruit will send them straight to Mort.

Except for Wessex, cause she doesn’t eat.

But to his next point, she stands calmly and brushes herself off. “How do you know I haven’t already been in and just came back out to fetch your slow ass?” she asks with a little raised eyebrow before turning back to the shadows and almost soundlessly striding forward.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all
Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Yet," Lucas echoed Wessex's sentiment about the lack of two-legged figures sneaking around the dark forest. Animals, though... this place must have been very safe indeed for the wildlife to consider the barrier and its falling of little concern. Lucas wondered what they might encounter out there, amongst the bobbing lights and the rustling leaves...

Luckily enough, his companion was already striding forward. With a sharp grin he followed, footsteps sure and confident in the velvet darkness. "You wouldn't go out there to do her work without little old me," he challenged, though in reality he had no idea.

"What next, I wonder. We are out. Do we now need to touch base with her?"

LUCAS

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

She scoffs. “I might. But then everyone else I liked died.” A shrug of her shoulders indicates her feelings about the whole situation. It was a damn shame that three of them died in the Spire. There are residual feelings of guilt about not going in, but she ultimately isn’t crying about it. They made their choices. She made hers. For better or worse, they’re stuck with each other and can commiserate on their mutual dislike of both Sam and Bastien. Nothing like a shared distaste to bring people together, amiright?

The bouncing lights float alongside them for awhile, and Wessex is tempted to try and follow one, but she can’t tell whether or not they’re decorational or useful, in the way that she remembers birds to be purely pretty and doing their own thing. She glances over to Lucas, sighing softly as she makes a concession. He has a point. “Probably should touch base soon… I’m working on getting some materials so she can upgrade my eyes, but we could go back sooner.” She tends to be a one-thing-at-a-time kind of person, but then again, they do seem to be the only truly loyal ones left.

She passes the threshold of the trees and watches the squirrels, a fox, and some nocturnal birds regard them with a mild curiosity. A hissing above her draws her attention, and she narrows her eyes - are those snakes above them?

Weird. But not… dangerous. Not yet.

WESSEX
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

Lucas feigned a gasp of delight, a hand fluttering to his chest and a crooked grin on his face. "Why, did I hear that correctly? You like me?" He chuckled, falling easily into step with Wessex and letting his eyes sweep their surrounding as they approached the Greatwood. He felt the same in more than one way, that much was clear - Sam he'd not met enough times to decide whether or not he considered him useful, and Bastien... well, less said about that, the better.

The creatures around him gave him little concern, Lucas glancing up at the snakes and smirking. He wondered briefly what had happened to the giant serpent he'd seen in the belly of the Spire, but Wessex's talk about upgrading her eyes caught his interest soon enough. "Oh? he echoed. "Anything I might lend a hand with? It would kill two birds with one stone that way."

LUCAS

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

“For now, “ she shoots at Lucas back with a wry chuckle, refusing to ask if he likes her. Liking has nothing to do with it. Trust does. And if it’s in Her name, she a sneaking suspicion he’ll come through when needed.

She slowly moves into the Greatwood, the trees closing behind them, the path unseen and unknown. She lowers her voice, perpetually scanning the area and listening to the ambient noise. “Sure. I don’t see why you couldn’t get the upgrade too. She offered it to Sam, but he didn’t seem to want it.” Which was stupid, really. Isn’t he into all that book shit? Wouldn’t it actually be useful for him to read the old texts on the regular? Her head shakes back and forth as she judges their fellow’s actions. “We’ll need four shards of onyx and two concave pieces of glass. I’m working on ice made magically cold by Remi.”  

Wessex pauses for a moment and then goes to a nearby tree, placing her hand on its bark. She glances up at the boughs, well-spaced for climbing, and unsheaths one set of claws. “Up or in?” See what they can see from the canopy or continue their trek towards god knows where?

WESSEX
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

For now is better than not at all, though Lucas in his pride did not even think to offer the quip back to Wessex. She didn't want to know and he was too selfish to consider it - a right good pair, they made. Still, following her into the woods on quiet feet with his shadows writhing against the moonlight, he glanced carefully about for any sign of danger or traps. "Sam hardly wants to be an Ascended, from what I have gathered. What a waste of a gift," he muttered, offering only a nod at the suggeston that he might be able to get the same upgrade.

"I can work on the onyx pieces," he said. "The glass might be a little more difficult. Do you know of any glass blowers in the Hollowed Grounds?" Lucas slowed his steps as Wessex paused beside the tree, arching an eyebrow until she unsheathed her claws and revealed her likely plan.

"Up," he agreed. While he had no claws, the tree looked easy enough to scale, and falling wouldn't bring any pain. Getting a bird's eye view of the palce would probably be a good start. "Ladies first," he offered.

LUCAS

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

Ugh. Sam. Wessex lets his statement stand alone. No need to say any more on that subject, he’s accurately summed it up. A waste of a gift. A waste of time. A blemish to their kind, though some might say he’s the only one with redeemable qualities. God, gag her.

Nodding in thanks for the offer (one less thing for her to do), she continues, “There’s one guy and his apprentice who makes all our windows. He might be willing to.” She doesn’t care to think about what they’ll do if he won’t. Not getting the upgrade isn’t the end of the world, but she can imagine it might be useful in the future. You never know. Can never have too many party tricks.

Decision made, her face curls into a wicked little grin. A jump puts her grip firmly around the first branch, and she hauls herself up, deftly maneuvering around the long claws jutting out from her knuckles. The bough is wide and she is able to easily stand up, reaching along the trunk for another forked junction and scrambling up with a heavy exhale. She continues in this fashion until the limbs seem too weak to bear her weight - finding a decent perch to rest and wait until Lucas finishes his climb as well.

Hmm. Not high enough. She may need to cut some limbs down. Or find another way to move them out of the way.

WESSEX
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

"If he isn't willing, I can be terribly persuasive. If you'd like, that is." Lucas grinned up at Wessex as she leapt for the first branch, waiting for her to heft herself up and into the tree before following. Even without claws the going was fairly easy - in the darkness he was more agile than in daylight, and Wessex kindly left claw marks against the branches she had used for leverage. In no time at all, Lucas had found a perch near to her own, bathed in moonlight and arching an eyebrow as he waited for her next move.

Then of course, he realised there wasn't really a next move, given how high up they were. Not that they could see much, yet. "Here," he offered, angling himself against the moon so the light cast three wicked shadows upon the treetops around them. With a small effort of will, the shadows began to peel the weaker branches back, hopefully enough to give his companion a decent view out. "How is that?"

LUCAS

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

She probably should be surprised at Lucas’s party trick, as he maneuvers himself into the moonlight and manipulates his shadows. Instead, she has a private little nod of satisfaction at watching him work. The three extra helpers were quite useful, causing her to wonder the extent to which they would work. Clearly they could move tangible, corporeal things despite being (apparently) less than solid. Hm. Something to look into and keep in mind.

Wessex, however, refuse to believe that he may be more useful - powerful? No. - in certain situations. She is brute force. Lucas uses workarounds, and she has to admit that sometimes you can’t just hammer your way through situations.

Anyway.

“Much. Thanks.” she says, while leaning forward to peer through the opening. After a couple of long minutes of looking, she shakes her head and comes back to the trunk. “Believe it or not, I think some of the other trees are moving. There shaking and whole shapes moving in the darkness - events that can’t be explained by animals or man-made objects. If they are indeed moving, what does that mean? That the forest is alive, in some way. That they need to be far more careful than they thought when moving forward and exploring.

Perhaps it means there’s something else out there.

WESSEX
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

Holding his shadows taut and waiting patiently for Wessex to make her initial appraisal of the forest that sprawled below them, Lucas's eyebrows shot up at what she had to say. Were he not a man used to the supernatural (and had this place not proven, already, to be quite odd even in the safest of areas) he might not have believed her. As it was, all he could do was furrow his brow and allow his shadows to retreat, the branches lacing back together around them.

"If they are, then I think that may be our cue to get down from here, before this one moves as well," he remarked dryly, already letting his hands and feet guide him back down to the lower boughs. "Do all of them move, I wonder? Or just some? ...That will make mapping this area more difficult than we first anticipated." Perhaps the Voice would be able to help with that too, along with this upgrade Wessex mentioned.

LUCAS

Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

This is the first time she’s ever seen Lucas express a smidgen of concern. So naturally she’s going to comment on it. “Don’t tell me you’re a little worried. The great Lucas, concerned about some trees?” A sharp, but only slightly chiding laugh quickly follows though she, too, is already on her way back down their lookout point.

While doing her best to make sure doesn’t step on his fingers (not that he’d feel the pain, she just doesn’t want to be clumsy), Wessex gives the question a quick think. “Honestly couldn’t tell. Seemed to be farther away, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a ripple effect or something that happens in a regular pattern.” It’s hard to imagine plants doing the same thing every night at ten o’clock, but it wouldn’t be the weirdest thing she’s seen. As a matter of fact, it could have already happened to them, trees rearranging themselves and closing rank behind the two intrepid night-explorers. The thought crosses her mind but she refuses to say it out loud, preferring to jump to the ground when it’s safe to do so and pick a leaf out of her hair.

Now. Which way back…?

WESSEX
Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

"Tch. I'm not worried, Wessex. I'm just wary." Lucas laughed back up to her, finding himself more and more endeared to the stern Ascended as time went on. And hells, she was better company than any of their fellow brothers and sisters - Bastien was a prima donna and Sam was a waste of immortality. Dropping to the ground as well, Lucas straightened up and rolled his shoulders.

"Suppose someone else will have to find out, and let us know." Because they had far more important things to do than to worry about messing around with the trees. Lucas had no idea which way was back, but he began to walk in a general direction away from the moving trees, like that would help. "Do you ever think," he said conversationally, "that we need to grow our ranks?"

LUCAS