Why is a Raven Like a Writing Desk?
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The Barrier had fallen.

He had only lived within it for a span of months, barely half a year, if that, but still the loss of it was world-shaking and had profound implications for all of them. Reinvigoration of the land and animals and freedom for those within, of course… but they had unleashed a force kept chained for centuries in direct defiance of local gods, and they had no idea if their new neighbors were friendly or hostile.

Yet.

Tomorrow he would, hopefully, set out with a group to begin answering the latter question, and learning more about the forest to the north. Bird’s-eye scouts had already reported that there would be no travel west or south, at least not for a while. But that left plenty of ground to cover, going by the map in Safrin’s book.

The book that was open in front of him at the large table in the guildhall, along with three others from Safrin’s library as he tried to piece together any final tidbits of information he could glean from their pages on the world beyond the barrier, before he set foot in it himself.

The Provost leaned back in his chair, rubbing at the bridge of his nose and groping after his tea in a mug that had gone cold quite some time ago. He drank without tasting it, then went back to scratching notes in his journal with a pencil as he compared information between the tomes and sifted each word for clues.

Remi
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
Я
Remi looked ... well. He looked like any new parent might, especially if that parent was raising a child alone with only a unicorn and a baby dragon for support. Of course there were others who popped in to offer food, respite, and conversation, but for the most part, Remi was as exhausted as you would expect, but he was also repeating the benefits of being a 'father' as well. He lived in constant delight of what Aoife could do, the things she was slowly learning, and how she was slowly becoming more than just a lump of cells held together by chubby cheeks.

And so he looked alright, all things considered.

With Aoife strapped to his chest, held there by both magical means as well as some clever ingenuity on his part, Remi entered into the atheneum. He knew where he needed to go, but part of him felt reluctant given his past with Jigano. It wasn't a matter of pride that he did not want to immediately seek out the bard's expertise, more he felt he no longer had the right to impose. To ask. Jigano's knowledge was part and parcel with his friendship, and that was something the alchemist did not have, and he was unsure how far civility would get him.

Still he had to try. For Aoife.

With a small kiss against the top of her head and useless whispered words detailing silence and libraries, Remi moved to the back of the rows of shelves where he'd been told to come when the guild had first gotten off the ground, assuming that is where he would find the bard. Only there was no-one there. Instead he saw quite a large door he'd never recognized before, with an icon that seemed to indicate the group he sought was behind. Opening the door revealed a set of stairs that the alchemist had not been expecting. Resisting the urge to simply call out, Remi descended them as quietly as he could, and, with a bit of a sigh of relief, saw Jigano seated at one of the tables almost immediately from his vantage point.

With another kiss to Aoife's forehead (one of her grubby hands clutching his fingers as her star-lit eyes took in the cheery atmosphere) Remi made his way over to the guildmaster.

"Jigano? I apologize for interrupting you. I hope it is alright that I...ahh..let myself in?"
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Jigano was too focused on his work to notice the quiet footsteps on the stone steps, but Isuma's hearing was better by far. She raised her head from where she had been chewing contentedly on a toy in her basket and reep!ed softly to get his attention. He finished writing the sentence he was working on but, warned by the gryphlet, he didn't jerk in surprise at Remi's voice interrupting the soothing stillness of the guild hall.

A small fire burned quietly in the hearth, just enough to ward away the springtime chill that clung to the underground stones of the Hall and to warm water for tea - if Jigano remembered to do so when he went into one of his study-fugues. Light came reflected in from the two open doors of the chambers against the outer wall, the window wells letting in daylight that was collected by mirrors and spread through the inner hall in a soft glow. That light caught Aoife's starlit eyes, and Jigano blinked in surprise at the sight of the young alchemist carrying a baby around. Ah, but Sam and Rexanna had both told him that Remi had taken Ronin's orphaned child in, and the loreseeker gestured graciously to a chair at the table with a wry smile.

"Of course it's alright, Remi. The Hall is open to anyone with questions. I don't have much I can offer in the way of assistance with children, I'm afraid, but I can recommend Phoebe, or I can ask someone to pull any books on childcare we've run across. Amalia might know if there's a section on that," he mused thoughtfully.

As uneasy as children made him, he couldn't help but be caught by Aoife's startling eyes, and the hint of a smile curled involuntarily at his lips. "She's lovely, Remi. Safrin-touched, I'm guessing?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Я
Remi dipped his head in an appreciative nod. He was fit, but exhaustion had taken quite a toll and though Aoife was not that heavy yet, he'd not miss the opportunity to have a seat and let his back relax a bit. Unstrapping her so that she could simply sit in his lap, her hands immediately squeezed open and closed towards the small gyphonlet.

"Thank you." Remi said, smoothing down the girl's curls, and then glancing over her dark-haired head across at the bard. "Oh, no. I have already spoken with Phoebe, and Roana and Vai as well." He replied, immediately feeling as though the guildmaster's offering was actually a judgement on his ability to care for the girl, but quickly reminding himself that Jigano would likely offer the same to any new parent. Taking a breath in and trying to exhale the defensiveness that the bard's musings had riled in him, he swallowed and mentally gave himself a shake.

"She is, yes." He replied in a much gentler tone, pressing a kiss to the back of the baby's head. "Safrin protected her even while she was in the womb." Remi added with a sad sort of smile.

"I came to see if there are any accounts of the world passed the barrier? Of Flora and Fauna specifically. I am in search of three specific things that I am told grow and live beyond the barrier, but beyond that I have no idea what they are or where to find them." Pausing, the alchemist pulled out a piece of paper from his pocket (shuffling Aoife on his lap who cackled happily in response), and placed it before the bard to read.

- Red lichen that has been burned
- whisperfish that must be kept alive
- sap from a WickerWoman

It read, in Remi's impeccable handwriting.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isuma was almost always happy to meet new friends, but this was the first time she had seen a baby. The gryphlet approached with wary fascination and boundless curiosity as she hopped up onto a chair and then the table itself, creeping slowly across the polished, age-darkened wood as she studied Aoife with ears perked forward and wings rustling in excitement.

Jigano watched her with bemusement, nodding at the list of Remi's experts. "They are far wiser than I in such matters," he agreed fervently. "But if not the child then...?" Patience yielded answers as Remi made a curious statement about the babe but proceeded to a question the bard could actually help with.

Maybe.

"There was an account of the world as it was three hundred years ago," Jigano cautioned his client. "But it lacks a fair amount of detail. We have a general map, and some vague accounts of flora and fauna... the forest to the north is said to have quite a bit of both that are magical, or not as they appear. There are dragons which are implied to be far larger than Sugar, and great whales that swim the sky..." He spoke as Remi shuffled about for his paper, and accepted it with a thoughtful frown.

"Red lichen, I don't think I've heard of," he admitted easily. "These other two, though..." Setting the paper aside he looked at his notes, then began flipping pages in two of the books laid out before him. "Fish, fish," he muttered under his breath, before stopping a at a page in one of the books that held a drawing of a fish. "Dream fish?" he asked dubiously. "I wonder if they're related? They're said to appear - let's see - to... individuals who are conflicted?" He tilted his head thoughtfully, looking up at Remi from beneath pale lashes."I'm surprised half the Hollowed Grounds aren't awash in them," he murmured wryly, sitting back.

"So that's two down. But this third one... A Wicker Woman is a type of tree here in the Hollowed Grounds. Given how much more lively things are supposed to be outside the... mm. Where the barrier used to be," he amended, grimacing slightly at the slip. "I'd imagine if there are ones out in the northern forest, they're far more dangerous than the rare ones we have here. The sap, though..." He tilted his head at the young alchemist, lips twitching briefly towards a faint frown as he looked to Aoife. Isuma finally leaned close enough for the babe to touch, peeping softly in excitement. "I won't ask what your business is with it - though you know I dearly want to," he added wryly. "But it's something to be careful with, especially around a baby."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Я
Like most babies of the human variety anyways, Aoife had no concept of reciprocation. And so while Isuma approached respectfully and perhaps a little nervously, Aoife reached her hands forwards, fingers flexing. She cackled happily slapping at the dark wood and leaving grubby prints as she tried to grasp at the small chick.

"Me as well." The alchemist responded with an easy laugh, then, settling back, he listened.

Dragons? Whales that could fly? It all sounded wonderfully poetic, but the alchemist's mind was grounded in far more pragmatic pursuits and so he let the imagery slide uneventfully by. The mention of dream fish had the alchemist perking up slightly, but quickly he shook his head. "I found one of those with—" Clearing his throat and swallowing suddenly, Remi smiled apologetically as he continued. "—with Ronin once."

"A tree?" Remi interrupted with a thoughtful furrowing of his brows. "I suppose it makes sense why it would have sap then." He added, more to himself, nodding gently.

As Isuma came close Aoife reached out with willful exuberance to try and clutch at the gryphonlet as she would one of her toys. Out of the corner of his gaze Remi saw this, and immediately a stuffed creature that looked very much like Isuma appeared in Aoife's clutches, which she quickly squeezed as hard as her chubby fingers would allow.

Thinking nothing of this, Remi returned his gaze to Jigano and smiled into the wry and openness of the bard's words. Civility between them was one thing, but it was nice to know that they could at least gesture towards their shared past without starting a fight about it.

"It is all because of her, actually. With all that has happened, Ludo's displeasure with me, I find myself wondering what—or more specifically who—is real, and who is not. Before I might have risked it," Here, he grinned a little ashamedly at the bard, who would no doubt agree. "But with Aoife I cannot take that chance. I asked Safrin for a way to see through Ludo's deceptions. These things are what she said she would need."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano also perked up at hearing that Remi had personal experience with the dreamfish - given their description it seemed entirely fitting - but Ronin's name served as well as a splash of cold water to silence the questions that crowded upon his tongue. Instead he bowed his head in acknowledgment of the loss of a good man, and who he assumed had been a good friend to the alchemist, given that Remi was now raising his daughter.

Rather than empty platitudes, he continued with his description of the last item on the list, something he could help with, at least. As Remi mused, the bard began flipping pages in his books with a more confident hand, though he kept an eye on the baby and the gryphon kit. The casual display of the alchemist's magic sparked a brief flare of jealousy in his soul, but he swiftly quashed it - it was a dimmer, weaker thing than it had been when he had first arrived, nearly half a year prior - when the toy saved his companion's fuzzy ears from being smeared with... jam? Whatever it was that made babies so sticky.

"A dangerous tree," Jigano corrected, giving the young man a wry smile. They weren't friends, and might never be, but at least they weren't enemies anymore (or... whatever they had been) and that was enough for him. He listened to Remi's explanation with a little surprise - and a growing respect as he sat back, one brow arching in wry agreement that once the young pup might have thrown himself heedlessly into danger. "Ahhh," he said when Remi had finished. "I am relieved to hear it. Sam mentioned that Ludo had taken your memories... for that, you have my condolences." He bowed his head again, an acknowledgment of genuine sympathy for the younger man's loss, though it had been his own actions which had led to it. "And I will lend my help as a Loreseeker to this. Beginning with the Wicker Woman."

He turned one of the books and slid it across the table to Remi so he could see the illustration of the tree. "It's carnivorous, and quite large enough to trap a person, hence the danger. If you get close enough to touch it, the branches will close around you and hold you tight against the trunk. I'm not sure if your lion form would be strong enough to break free or not... Though your hawk form might have possibilities for harvesting the sap and getting away before it can entangle you." He chuckled as Isuma patted curiously at the tail of her stuffed counterpart, her attention stolen by the sudden appearance of the toy. "Be careful with the sap itself, too. It's said to be hallucinogenic - but it's not clear how. Rather, it's not clear if it has to be eaten, or if smell or smearing it on your skin is enough to trigger the effects. I'd assume touch is enough - if you thrash in your attempts to escape and damage the tree, the sap from broken bark would get on you and make you pliant and drugged to a dream-filled death by starvation."
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Я
Remi nodded and chuckled despite himself. "A dangerous tree, then." He agreed with a grin. The mention of Sam and the loss of his memories sobered the alchemist's expression considerably, and he nodded somberly for a moment. "Yes. It is strange once again knowing there are things I do not know...and more strange to have them described to me." He added, lips tilting upwards in a smile that was miles away from his eyes.

"Thank you, Jigano. I do appreciate it." Remi said, eyes flickering dutifully across the table toward the bard as he nodded in a second silent thanks for lorekeeper's assistance.

Leaning forward as Jigano turned to book towards him, Remi's lips fell open and a finger traced the lines of the tree without actually touching the pages of the book. Having made canvas and such himself as well as inks, he had a healthy respect for old writing materials, and he'd not dare sully the surface with the oils from his hands. Still he marveled silently as Jigano elaborated, nodding here and there while trying to keep Aoife from grabbing onto the pages.

"Interesting." Remi said when Jigano had finished, leaning back in the chair and chewing the inside of his lip. "I wonder if there is not some device I could rig up, to let me collect the sap from a distance. As you say, a hawk could get in, but could not easily collect. Even as a raccoon I wonder if I would have the dexterity to do both." Did Jigano know he could be a raccoon? The alchemist wasn't sure, though unlike the bard and some others, Remi had no troubles with the general populace knowing what he could become.

"Unfortunately even if they are here, Safrin said I had to find one outside of the barrier. She implied that Ludo's presence here might have tainted the flora and fauna within in some way..." Shrugging his shoulders, the look on the alchemists face said that he wouldn't even pretend to know what that meant.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The look Jigano gave to Remi was, perhaps surprisingly, sympathetic, but he only nodded his condolences. He didn't really know the man well enough to provide a window into what he had lost, and Remi, at least, still had something of a family with him in the bevy of Northhaveners he had arrived with. They were familiar with his past and his memories, both lost and kept, in a way Jigano was not - and had no wish to be, given their rocky past.

He might not be able to offer the assistance of a friend, but he could still provide the assistance of a lorekeeper, at least. And the inspiration he seemed to have sparked in the young alchemist brought a quirking of his lips that was closer to a true smile than Remi usually got out of him. "A raccoon?" he repeated, a little bemused. "You're continually full of new surprises! But a raccoon would face the same dangers as a man, I would think, in getting caught. Your device idea sounds like a good one, though. Or I suppose if you could trick the tree into closing its branches around something - a dummy or a decoy of some sort - then you could harvest the sap safely from outside its grasp?" He shook the thought off, reminding himself to trust the boy to come up with his own answers.

"Ludo, tainting them?" he repeated, a brow raising in doubt. "Hmm. That doesn't sound right but I suppose we have no way of proving or disproving it." He gave a little shrug, then eyed the alchemist with a wry smile. "Either way, I'm planning to head into the new woods tomorrow, to scout around and see if there are any dangers or outside people close enough to the boundary to be a danger to those here. I'll keep an eye out for these ingredients, and let you know if and where I find them. I should stop by your shop sometime, anyways. I... heard that Sugar is still around." His smile faded a little. He hadn't known Ronin well enough to feel personal sadness at his loss, but he regretted that now he would never have the chance to know him better. "Isuma and she are friends. They might enjoy the chance to play together again." He didn't know that Remi was living out of the Guildhall now, to distracted with other things to keep track of the alchemist he so rarely saw.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Я
"Mmhmm." Remi nodded wryly at Jigano's surprise. "In Northaven we did not chose our shapes, the shapes chose us. I am not entirely sure if that is the same here ... I do not know whether I would have picked for myself a lion or a raccoon but.." Shrugging his shoulders at the mystery, he nodded in agreement at the latter part of what the bard had said. "Yes, I do think you are right."

Considering it, Remi's lips twitched as he tried to imagine the situation but found his mental faculties lacking. "Do you think it only yields sap when it has someone in its clutches then? So I would need to trick it into closing?"

Remi was both surprised as well as not that Jigano was heading into the woods. Originally the way the bard had described his organisation it sounded much less field based. But if there was no information to collect, the alchemist supposed you would have to gather it yourself.

"I would appreciate that very much, thank you."

The mention of Sugar made Remi's face wilt slightly, his eyes likely growing into that annoying canine-expression that Jigano seemed to hate. But with Aoife and all that had transpired with Sam and Ronin the alchemist was far too tired to curb his expressions for the bard. "Sure if you like, though I moved into the guildhall after LongNight." Remi explained. "And Sugar... She spends most of her time in her den. I honestly do not know what will become of her. She grows more and more despondent by the day. A friend may well cheer her up. Please feel free to come by any time."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"The shape chose you?" the bard asked, blue eyes sparking bright with curiosity - and then dimming abruptly as he remembered how their previous interactions had gone so far sideways, and cleared his throat self-consciously. "Ah, never mind. My apologies," he murmured, taking the conversation back to the Wicker Woman as tactfully as he could. "I am not sure on that point," he admitted instead to Remi's question, frowning thoughtfully as he glanced at the notes he had written down from his first read-through of the books on flora and fauna, and comparing them to the illustration page. "I was thinking more for safety, since the ones outside the boundary are likely to be larger than here, and I don't know how far back you'd have to safely stand to use the device you create for the job." He hummed for a moment, carefully turning pages, then shook his head. "It doesn't say. I would guess that it's like any other tree, in that the sap will be easiest to collect directly from the trunk, and it might take, oh, ten or twenty minutes to collect a vial. Though... I don't suppose Safrin said how much she needed, of the lichen or the sap?" he asked as an afterthought.

He nodded gracious acknowledgment of Remi's gratitude before mentioning the shop and Sugar. He blinked in surprise at hearing that the alchemist had abandoned his shop and moved into the guildhall - there was only one other guild, which at least made it easy to know what he was talking about. His eyes softened a bit at the way the boy wilted, but he was not so hard-hearted that he would resent Remi's mourning of a lost friend. "That I will, then. I've been meaning to ask for your professional skills as well," he admitted, tilting his head with a ghost of his usual wry smile. "I've a Spark Bird feather that's potentially quite useful... if it wasn't so dangerous. I was hoping an alchemist might be able to help?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Я
Remi nodded easily in response to the clarification about his shape, the strains of their previous discussion lost amidst the roaring melody of these new strange times he found himself in.

Pondering, Remi found himself chewing his lip in agreement. Yes, the trees outside likely were much larger, though he'd never seen one within for a reference point anyways. Having never tapped a tree before, the alchemist nodded a bit distantly as he tried to reconcile this new information with the plan already taking shape in his mind. "She did not, no." Remi replied with a sheepish grin, the implication being and I did not think to ask, either.

Looking rather surprised, perhaps thinking that Jigano would rather do everything the hard way than to ever ask for Remi's help, the bard did just that. The mention of the feather had Remi nodding with immediate understanding. "Ahh, yes. Rory had one as well that I made a sort of case for. Have you seen that?" He asked easily, his tone and expression one of scientific curiosity, rather than any attempt to probe into whatever was or wasn't happening between his friend and the bard. "I could do something similar I think, unless there was a specific sort of design you had in mind?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He was grateful for Remi's distraction in a distant sort of way. It seemed to keep things peaceful between them, the conversation almost comfortable between two... acquaintances. They were that, at least, and if this and their last conversation were anything to go by, even cautiously cordial ones. It was a far preferable state of affairs to what had come before, and it was decidedly... refreshing. Yes, refreshing, even if they were still a little awkward as they found their new footing with each other and imposed their own limits on their tongues.

Such as when Remi admitted he didn't know how much he needed. Jigano kept his expression neutral, not even raising a brow as he nodded receipt of the information. By his tone and grin, the alchemist knew what the bard would have said, had this conversation happened in Deepfrost... and therefore, it didn't need to be said. "A small jar should be more than sufficient," was all he murmured. "Given how potent it's supposed to be."

Briefly touching on Ronin's loss and his dragon's ennui, it was almost a relief to shift to an easier topic of conversation, though it had its own undertones of awkwardness. Remi and he just did not easily ask each other for help, even in professional contexts... though it was somewhat of a relief that it was happening now.

"I haven't," the loreseeker admitted, though curious. "Though I was trying to think of a way to make it more... hmm. More of a tool. Or a weapon," he admitted wryly, glancing down at his slender hands. "Especially as we start going out and encountering things beyond the barrier that might not be friendly. Like Wicker Women. Or banshees." He flipped a page of his notebook and selected a pencil, beginning to sketch in simple, slightly messy lines. "I was thinking... something... almost like a glass or crystal 'dagger' encasing it, but leaving the tip and most of the edges sticking just slightly out," he explained as he drew quickly and then handed Remi the basic design. "With a handle I could more easily hold and manipulate without burning my fingers off. But the problem is that the feather sets just about anything on fire, given long enough to burn against it," he said with a slight grimace. "As I'm sure you found out, working with Rory's. So I'm assuming I'd need a magical - or perhaps an anti-magical? - substance for the dagger's 'blade' and sheath. What do you think?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Я
Latching onto Jigano's suggested unit of measure, Remi reached for the parchment he'd written the ingredients on, and, producing a small stud of charcoal in between his fingers, drew a rough approximation of a jar filled slightly with liquid. "Thank you." Remi said with a grateful smile, his eyes bashful and his lips amused, indicating the appreciation was both for the suggestion as well as the lack of reproach.

Shivering at the mention of a banshee, Remi grimaced and nodded. "Ronin and I encountered one in the woods." He blurted without even realizing he'd said his friend's name so casually. That almost hurt more, the forgetfulness, as if he ought to be ashamed of the way his sadness was ever so slowly beginning to lift. "It was ... one of the least pleasant things I have experienced, as I am sure you can imagine."

Leaning forward, he watched the bard begin to sketch. A smile tugged at his lips as he watched the quick and slightly messy linework, as it seemed so ill-befitting one such as Jigano. Pulling the drawing towards himself, Remi tilted his head in a decidedly avian fashion as he examined what it was the bard was suggesting. "Strange that it might have the effect of cauterizing what it punctures." He murmured to himself, glancing across and up at Jigano to see if this was perhaps intentional.

"Yes, I agree." He said with a decisive nod. "Though I will be honest, the making of magical items is not something I pretend to come close to understanding. It is a strange sort of guestimation as to what it ought to do, but when it comes to the magical features.." Remi splayed his hands in a gesture of open and submissive uncertainty. "I have made a few magical items that indeed do what I intended them to, but I cannot say with any certainty how I did it. Still—" Nodding his nose towards the paper, Remi nodded again. "That looks easy enough."