It's so much bigger than me
Ronin
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Online
Change author:
MP: 2197
Oh, empty my heart
In the first twilight of evening, a cluster of gathered light parted to let the starchild through. She stepped barefoot down into the still warm sand and breathed deep of the brisk wind, and a shudder passed through her at the scent of brine that followed with it. A shadow passed over the faint starlight at her back, and shot into the open air; the jubilant roar of the dragon drew a fond smile to her lips, and for a while both the woman and her companion lingered on the shore of the sea, simply reveling in the feeling of being home.

When they slowly began to make their meandering way towards the houseboat, it was with a mingled feeling of excitement and apprehension on Seren's part. Every time she returned to her father felt like the first, yet with growing age came the understanding of what it meant to have been apart at all. The time lost, all the things unsaid, and everything she had not been there to experience with him; it fluttered like a starling bird trapped inside her chest, nervously flapping around. Fisting the fine fabric of her simple white dress, creating wrinkles only to smooth them once more, she kept rephrasing what to say. How to say it. What if he was angry? What if he did not care that she was back? What if, as Safrin feared, he looked at her and only saw something painful?

She wished she could let her worries become birds of starlight that gave Ronin some warning that she had arrived. But in the end it was on her own feet that she made it up to The Northaven, and called out to see if anyone was home. If they were not... she would simply wait until they returned.
I've got to make room for this feeling
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 60 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 60 - Luck: 81 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601
RONIN
kiss your perfect day goodbye
Alas, the starchild will be left waiting, but not for long. It's not only rare, but reluctantly, that Ronin lets his husband out of reach at the height of Leafchange, but at times even the Nova tires of his own bullshit. And so, having forced himself away from Isla's doorstep to let Remi visit his friend in peace, Ronin has taken himself to the long stretches of shoreline to run. Fatigue only comes after a significant amount of time, but even then, he relishes the burn in his lungs and muscles, and as he heads up towards the Northaven, it's with the intention of tapping her prow as a touchpoint and turning to continue his relentless exercise.

Only there's someone painfully familiar on the dock before the houseboat, and Sugar's trill overhead gives the game away before Ronin is even fully cognizant of what he's seeing. Slowing to a halt, his hair (snowy around the temples, these days) swept back out of his face and his shirt - a sleeveless thing in a shade of dark grey - clinging to his body, the Nova is forced to catch his breath for a second or two, wiping the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand.

"Hi, Seren," he manages after a moment or so, which, lame, but where the hell else does he start?
because the world is on fire
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Sugar's trill was answered by Umbra's deep rumbling. The dark blue dragon swept down to greet his kin, and Seren turned from the door to watch their reunion with a bright smile. When she caught sight of Ronin, it hitched and nearly froze; butterflies had nothing on whatever madness it was that skittered and swarmed and threatened to unsteady her legs.

"Hi dad." She came down to meet him on the beach. Feather light and graceful, night traced her steps and only fell away when she stilled to take in her father's features. The gray of his hair, the lines around his mouth, his eyes, every new scar and scratch - each and every one a proof of how little she knew him. How much she had missed.

Seren gripped her other wrist, physically holding herself back from the urge to throw herself around his neck. "How are you? I'm sorry for just dropping in like this. I would have sent a letter, but I just returned..."

And there was no note in the world that could convey all she wanted to say.
SEREN
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
Dragons reunite overhead with none of the awkwardness that lingers between father and daughter, and Ronin leaves them to it while he regards the demigoddess before him. In no state to be embraced (given the length of time he's been running), it's probably a good thing that Seren manages to keep herself in check, and he shifts on the sand as she comes to join him. "It's alright. Your mother mentioned you'd be coming back, but I didn't know when."

Rubbing at the back of his neck, he gestures towards the Northaven. "You want to come in?" he offers. "There's not really a spare room to stay in, but you can get your bearings." Presumably before moving on - his daughter had ever been the adventurous type, after all. "Remi is out for a bit anyway."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
If he said it was alright, she would believe him. Had no right to question his word at this point, and kept the question of whether it really was okay to herself.

"Yes, sure. I'd love to see it." Gesturing for Ronin to lead the way - offering the polite option of cleaning up dirty underware and do the minimum of tidying if he felt the need - Seren trailed after him back the way she had come.

Umbra passed by overhead, coasting low enough that the draft of his wings tousled her hair. The encouraging nudge of his mind was bracing; allowing herself a deep breath made it easier to shoulder the awkwardness. It was fine. Everything would be alright. It was only natural for it to take time before they could speak normally. At least this time she had not grown or changed past what time afforded every mortal. No surprises beyond her sudden presence... save perhaps for the item her mother had sent along.
SEREN
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
Nodding, Ronin goes ahead and ascends the dock to unlock the Northaven and step inside. While Umbra stays close to his bonded, Sugar is already freewheeling away into the night to enjoy the brisk, cold breeze beneath her wings. Perhaps she even ignites a little trill or two as if to encourage the other dragon to join her.

Meanwhile, although there is no dirty underwear to put away, Ronin has poured himself (and drank) a glass of water and has retrieved a towel to wipe the sweat from his face and arms. "How have you been?" he asks slowly, rubbing at his hair and discarding the towel before moving to a small, tucked away closet and taking out a clean shirt to put on.

"Your brother still lives in Stormbreak," he continues, almost as if to keep the focus away from himself. "If you wanted to visit, I mean. He's got a skyship."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Umbra was inclined to linger by Seren, but she shooed him away with an affectionate nudge. She would be fine, and he should spend time with Sugar. He grumbled, but eventually swerved off and flew away, off to join the older dragon and resume their re-acquainting.

The starchild followed her father into the houseboat and absorbed the space with sweeping looks. It was a home, she could tell that much easily. A place oft used and greatly loved by its inhabitants. Fit for two, there really wasn't much room for anyone but them, and what they allowed - visitors, sure, but perhaps not much more.

Slipping into a seat by a table, Seren looked around at everything except her father. "I have been doing well," she replied, humoring him if stalling the inevitable made him feel more at ease. "I have been studying. History, art, music... I have taken up painting, and have been thinking I might make a living off that."

Thinking of her brother soften the tension around her mouth. "Yeah? What is he up to these days? I do want to see him, and Flora too. How is Remi?"

They were all family, in her eyes. Whether connected by blood or not.
SEREN
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
Unaware of his daughter's eyes upon the space, Ronin busies himself in pulling a clean shirt over his head, and whilst the towel has left his hair a desperate mess, he looks a little more put together nonetheless. "Oh?" Turning, he finds himself lurking near the kitchen countertops, his hands getting down his favourite box of tea and filling the kettle almost without his permission. "That sounds like a good idea."

Painting - an old hobby of his own, untouched for years by now. It's with a prang of sadness that Ronin realises how much he's neglected the things that used to make him more than a demigod, and he shakes it off in lieu of the young woman before him. "Mateo? He's well - he owns a flowershop up in Stormbreak, but I'm sure his real passion lies in the more shadowy side of plants and botany." It's not as if the boy would deny it.

"Flora is thriving here in Torchline," he continues, unable to keep the thread of pride out of his voice. "She co-rules the islands with Hadama, the Mer-king. And owns The Hanged Man in her spare time." Laughing under his breath, he wonders where she finds the time. "And Remi... he's better than I've seen him in a very long time. Mort recently took him under his wing in place of Ludo."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Humming with fond appreciation of their sprawling family's endeavors, Seren was human enough to feel a prick of envy at the close bonds the others shared. But in truth, it was partially her own fault that she hadn't been around. And she really did want them all to be happy and thriving. It was just a bit lonely to be the estranged one.

"I look forward to seeing them all again," she said, with a dreamy smile. "And what about you, dad? Are you alright?"

So far he had left himself out of the telling. Seren thought she could guess why... But she still asked.
SEREN
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
"I'm sure the feeling is mutual," Ronin says with a smile over his shoulder; Mateo at the very least will be thrilled to see his sister, he knows. Turning to hold up a mug in a silent offer of a cup of tea - since his hands are making it whether he likes it or not, apparently - the question about himself ought to have been expected, but it seems to take him off guard nevertheless.

Leaving the kettle to boil on the stovetop, Ronin leans back against the counter and rolls his shoulder in a shrug. "I'm as good as I can be," he says honestly, which both does and doesn't explain much. But Seren is his daughter, not his friend or confidante, and he won't burden her with things she doesn't need to know about her father.

"If you want to get started painting down here, I probably have a few supplies you could borrow to help get you set up," he offers. Tactical subject change, a-go-go.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Why she ever expected a genuine heart to heart on the heels of her return she didn't quite know. It shouldn't have come as a surprise that her father wouldn't share any of his thoughts or feelings with her - and yet it still left her quietly frustrated.
Accepting the offer of tea with a nod, Seren searched for something to say that wouldn't sound contrived or immediately launch them into an argument. Before she could though, Ronin already moved on, effectively closing subject.

"Ah, yes. That would be very helpful," she replied helplessly, "thank you. I suppose I need to find a place to live, too. Is it... would you mind, if I stayed here in Torchline?"

While the tried to act like normal, like nothing was wrong, Seren found herself tip-toeing around her dad. Unsure of her welcome, unsure of how much her presence was hurting him. Stars knew how much she had missed him - but maybe that really was just her.
SEREN
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
"I'll see what I can dig out," Ronin says with a gentle nod, already mentally finding the trunk with his art supplies in it when Seren speaks again. His eyebrows raise, the Nova smiling and shaking his head. "Of course I wouldn't mind," he says. "If we still had a bigger place I'd offer for you to stay there, but..." A simple gesture around shows that the Northaven is not made for more than two.

"I'm sure there are plenty of places in Torchline for you to set yourself up, though."

Interrupted by the kettle whistling, Ronin turns to take it off the heat and pour the water into their mugs, using the simple chore as a way for him to say the things neither of them want to bring up. "I'm sorry for asking," he murmurs, "and I'll only ask it once, and I'll believe you whatever your answer. But... was it your decision to come back?"

Or was it Safrin's? Is this yet another manipulation to keep Ronin's leash short and his strings dancing?
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oh, empty my heart
Her slow inhale tried to disguise itself as a sigh, but there was no mistaking the relief lacing through it. A lingering tension eased from the girl's shoulders; still her fingers felt cold as she placed them together on the tabletop.
She should hate the question that followed. But honestly it was a relief to have it out in the open. Seren knew too much to be soothed by mere assurances, and like every child caught between feuding parents she felt responsible - as if anything she could say or do might be enough to mend the rift. Or widenit further.

Raven curls danced about her shoulders as she nodded her head  - not that he would see it. "Yes. It was my idea. I had to do some convincing before Mother agreed." Training her gaze onto her father's back, she hesitated before adding "I couldn't stand the thought of watching you go through another war where I sat safe among the stars. Or lose another sibling I haven't even met yet. I know it's dangerous and that there's probably nothing I can do to help, but... At least I will be here."  

The only thing that made her hesitate was the possibility that her presence would cause her father discomfort.

"I'm sorry.... if my being here makes you have to think of her." Seren's gaze dropped to her hands again. "That's why I asked..." That's why she couldn't quite swallow past the lump in throat, no matter how much she wanted to be reassured of her welcome.
SEREN
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
RONIN
Unable not to let himself properly sigh in relief at Seren's response, some of the tension seems to drain out Ronin's back and shoulders, and he sets the kettle down and turns to face his daughter properly. "That you needed to convince her makes me feel better, surprisingly," he admits, rubbing at the back of his neck and offering her a sheepish smile.

"I don't want you to feel responsible for anyone down here though, alright? You being up there and safe was never a regret for me. I was glad of it. If you're back, I want it to be for you. I'll do everything I can to keep you from harm, but I'm sure you know that whatever these people are... I can't do much against them, with the power I have from Safrin." And it's a thorn in his side whenever he so much as considers it, honestly.

But he does enough ruminating on that, and so instead he straightens up from the counter properly and holds his arms out for his daughter. "Oh, shut up," he says affectionately, smiling across at her. "I might regret a lot of things, but you're my daughter and I'll never regret that."