The compass that beats in my chest
for Mort!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 11 - Strg: 51 - Dext: 52 - Endr: 55 - Luck: 55 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 3590
The tournament had been a wake-up call for the Messenger.

Sure, there was no shame in getting thrashed by a demigod, but Tal had been really hoping to make it a little farther. Not that he liked fighting, but if he was gonna have to, he wanted to be good at it. Good enough to be the one walking away at the end, at any rate.

And while he could work hard to improve his skills, the one thing he didn't have much control over was his luck.

So a briskly cool Deepfrost morning found him kneeling by the shrine to Ludo and Mort in Kaiholo Port, Boreal yawning as she leaned against his side. He wasn't sure what to do for offerings to the Keeper of Souls, but the god was supposed to be kindly and so Tal had brought a pot of living flowers, blooms brilliant in whites and yellows and oranges like the sunrise, and mementos of his parents. His father's favorite scarf: well-mended but warm and soft that had been passed to his son with the soldier's death; and his mother's favorite bookmark: a thin piece of sandalwood carved in a complex filigree to resemble a tree in full leaf.

He fussed with the items until they were positioned exactly centered and, in the case of the scarf, perfectly folded, and then he put an arm around his dragon and took a deep breath as he composed himself.

"Mort? I, uh... I hope y'don't mind me interruptin'. I... I was hopin' y'might be able t'help me out. Things're gettin' dicey again an' I was kinda hopin' t'stick around here for awhile longer afore I go t'your Halls. I can train m'self t'get faster'n stronger, but I can't fix my luck, y'know? So I wanted t'ask if you could help me with that. Please?"  

Tal will try praying first, and if that doesn't work he'll use his CotY Big God pass to talk to Mort!

With so many spirits around you, you attract the attention of the gods when visiting a shrine. Roll with advantage when praying at a shrine. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of your shrine post).

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Other
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
A warm golden light slowly settles upon the docks and all those currently working in and around them, yet only Talyson will be able to see it. For the dock workers, they will, should they bother to look, only see the courier and his bowed head. For Talyson however, Torchline's coasts and beaches will slowly fade away, melting into towering trees of youthful green and golden sprays of sunlight.

Amidst this sudden forest stands the God of Death, radiant and youthful, with a warm smile on his lips. "You aren't interrupting at all." He says, extending out a hand to beckon the man close, before taking several strides himself to bridge the gap between the two.

"And please, keep your things. I'd hate to make you part with something with so much meaning."

No luck on the roll so the pass was used!
mort

Table base by Sky!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
There was a big difference between being heard and being answered, and as the light changed and the forest replaced the sand and waves Tal had a brief moment of panic over whether his offerings were good enough for a god that watched over all the souls in the world that had ever been.

But Boreal crooned happily as that god smiled at the pair and approached and the courier looked up into that warmth and love and his fear melted away in the light of him. He pushed himself to his feet - a little unsteadily, true, but while he was awed by Mort's presence there was nothing in the bright, ancient youth to give him reason to fear. "I... thanks, sir," he mumbled shyly, relief and gratitude shining in his pale eyes. Even if the offerings had been freely made he was still glad to get to keep them in the family. "It... it means a lot t'me that y'came. With all the... the people who've died this year." He tried to gesture towards the distant violet island, but he'd lost its bearing amidst the young forest and he ended up waving vaguely and then clearing his throat awkwardly.

It was actually really nice to not have any purple cracks marring the sky here. Wherever 'here' was.

"I... would it be alright if I asked if y'know if... if someone in particular has gone t'your Halls in the past few seasons?" His hands clasped in front of him, fingers twisting together nervously as he tried to decide whether he really wanted to hear the answer. As long as he didn't know for sure, there was hope...

Change author:
The longer the courier stood in the god's presence, the more permanence the surrounding vista would take on. No longer was the smell of the sea or the call of the dock workers a buzz in the background, but instead, the towering trees merely sighed with a gentle breeze that tickled their leaves and scattered the dappled sunlight upon the rich and fertile ground.

Smiling a touch sadly, the god nods his head in agreement. "It brings me no joy to see my halls filled with so many souls, much as I cherish each and every one who makes their way to me." Mort says, before his expression turns blissfully patient as the courier nervously makes his request. "Of course Talyson. I know them all by heart, even the newest of them. Who is it?"
mort

Table base by Sky!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The forest was a little weird since he'd just been on the beach, but somehow Mort's presence there made everything seem like it was going to be okay. Right now, with the god smiling at him, Tal felt safer than he ever had before. And there was the soul-deep knowledge that, eventually, he'd end up in Mort's care for the long haul, safe from ever being hurt again.

The middle might be tough going, but at least he knew he'd be going home in the end. One way or another.

It was weirdly reassuring and a little freeing, and Tal stood a little taller, his usual anxiety easing beneath the gentle god's compassion and patience. His hands relaxed, falling to hang at his sides as his fingers unclenched and he took a deep breath. "It's Soh. Sohalia Lumaris." Pale eyes searched the god's face earnestly. "If she's... well. If she's still alive, I figure I'm gonna need all th'luck I can get t'find her."

And if she wasn't, well... he'd burn that bridge if he found it.

Change author:
Mort hardly needed to think at all, before he shook his head a firm and decisive no. "She is not with me." He confirms, his voice warm and his smile bright. "Your friend remains in Rae's realm."

When it came to luck, the boy-god could only look up into the canopy of trees overhead, a laugh held on his tongue that when released, tickled the leaves around them and sent a rush of warm wind through the grasses. "Even I cannot create the sort of luck that you're after, but I can certainly help you find it." Mort chuckles. "Experience the luck you seek, and I shall return it to you."

Talyson has been given a quest! He must experience 3 serendipitys that occur after his latest thread (9550)
mort

Table base by Sky!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
The change in the courier was immediate as relief washed through him and he grinned at Mort with eyes that were bright with the prickle of tears of hope. "Thanks, sir," he breathed past the lump of emotion in his throat.

She was still alive.

Which was already more luck than he'd had any right to hope for, but he was just getting started. Mort's laugh washed over him and buoyed him up, inviting him to smile alongside the young-old god and Tal listened eagerly. "Huh. I just gotta... keep my eyes out, I guess?" he mused thoughtfully, nose wrinkling in confusion that cleared away as he gave a determined bob of his head. "Right. I can do that. An'... thanks, Mort. For watchin' out for us."

~Fin~