all that we are
Messenger

Age: 28 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 7 (lvl 3 Attuned) - Strg: 10 - Dext: 27 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
PERCY - Mythical - Unicorn (Superspeed) SOOT - Regular - Wine Spider
Played by: Jaecarys Offline
Change author:
MP: 150
Ashe
   The second Ashe received word, she was bursting from her house with her heart in her throat. Percy, thank every god, had felt her sudden spike in urgency and met her outside the door, bouncing on his front hooves and nickering low as he encouraged his rider upon his back. She was breathless as he took off at a dead gallop for the woodlands, needing no command to know exactly where they needed to go, their bond singing with the intensity of all that crashed into Ashe. Vervain had her baby - a boy. A boy. She had a baby brother.

The ride passed in a blur with the black-and-white smudged stallion's breakneck speed, Ashe hanging on and leaning closely over him until they broke into the clearing of her mother's home. Percy didn't even come to a full stop before the assassin expertly swung herself down. He trot after her as she ran for the porch, and he let out a sharp snort  of irritation as she disappeared into the house without pausing.

Ashe barely stopped herself against the doorframe to where her mother was, her heart thundering, her eyes wide and searching --

"Mom?" she huffed, every nerve alive with.. gods, was it excitement? Anxiousness? Both?
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 16 - Int:
COCO - Regular - Cloud Wyrm
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

"In here." There was a smile in Vai's voice, and even without any magical skill in telepathy or... uh, unicorn, she knew Ashetta was on her way long before she appeared. She was relaxing in bed, propped up against the pillows with her wild curls loose around her face, furs and blankets tossed across her lap to keep her warm.

Felix was just about finished feeding (Ashe's baby brother had been born hungry, she swore), and whilst her daughter came into the room Vai busied herself buttoning her shirt and letting the baby settle on her chest so she could wind him.

Felix had been born with a full head of black hair, like mother and daughter, and while his eyes were still the baby grey of newborns, Vai had a feeling they would be a striking hazel green soon enough. "Hi, sweetie," she said softly, turning her attention to Ashe. "You didn't take long, huh. Come say hello."

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Age: 28 | Height: 5'0" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Ashe
   She found them in her mother's room, Vai laid back as she should be and... such a small, small baby cradled against her as she buttoned her shirt. Ashe was frozen for a moment, a dazed sort of look on her face as she beheld him with his black hair, his soft sounds, the sight of him. She blinked rapidly and looked at Vai when she spoke, a smile flickering then.

Ashe moved toward the bed silently, her eyes moving from her mother - perfeclty fine and healthy - down to the infant in her arms. She didn't have any words yet, but her eyes were shining as she carefully lowered herself to sit on the edge of the bed beside her mother and.. her brother. This was her baby brother. The wolf's throat tightened, taking in all those round and squished features of a newborn, her heart racing lightly.

Finally she glanced up at Vai, eyes prickling already. "What's his name?" she asked quietly.
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Age: 44 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

Vai hummed gently to the baby in her arms as she rubbed at his back, the newborn gurgling and cooing before settling, fed and warm and happy. She glanced up to Ashetta as she approached, reaching out to take her hand when she sank down onto the bed with them. Pressing a kiss to her fingers, Vai gazed back down to the newest addition to their family, running a careful finger across his perfectly round little cheek.

"Felix," she said softly. "Your little brother's name is Felix. Would you like to have a hold?" she asked, Vai grinning to her daughter - she had a feeling that she knew what the answer would be, but she had to ask nonetheless.

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Change author:
Ashe
   Felix. His name was Felix. Her mother saying it out loud - her little brother - brought another wobblng smile. The smile wavered when her eyes went wide at the offer. She knew it was normal, she expected it and told herself it would be alright.. "Hold him?" she echoed.

She wanted to hold him, gods she wanted to.. When had she last held a child? Ashe bit down on her lip as she looked down at him, and she nodded with a shakey breath.

She reached out and carefully, so carefully, gathered her little brother into her arms. She tried not to tremble as she adjusted how she sat, her eyes rapidly taking in every movement, every small expression his sleepy face made - full and content. His soft sounds brought a grin to her face, and as his weight settled fully into her arms.. Oh, gods he was so small, perfect, and she cradled him closely against her as she smiled broadly down at him.

"Hey Felix," she crooned softly, and her vision was suddenly blurring as her eyes filled. "Hey baby brother.." She let out a small huff of air as she brought her hand up to him once she adjusted him to be held in one arm, holding her finger out for Felix to grasp. Her smiling lips trembled, and she held him just a little bit closer. She didn't expect the ferocity of the love that bloomed like fire in her chest, and she was wholly taken by him, by his round cheeks and black hair and little fingers and new sounds. Ashe turned her tear-lined eyes up to her mother, and she found she wasn't able to stop smiling. "Mom.."

But there weren't words for this. How could anyone put into the words this feeling? She was holding her baby brother. Her. The assassin that was never supposed to have a family or future, that grew up never once even daring to dream of something like this.
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

Vervain felt her own eyes prickle at the sight of her children together, and she had to take a long, deep breath and let it out again as she watched Ashe coo over her brother. "You're perfect with each other," she murmured, reaching out to cup Ashe's cheek and run her thumb across it, before gazing down at the baby again. Felix, for his part, was fully content in the care of his big sister, though that was almost definitely because he'd been fed.

"You'll know it if he starts bawling," she mumbled to her, offering a crooked grin. "...I never thought I'd have this. I never thought I'd have you, let alone this." Vai sighed, sagging back against the headboard and laughing as Felix gave a mighty yawn. "I know who I'll be calling to babysit."

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Change author:
Ashe
   Felix gave a mighty yawn, and Ashe grinned down at him with gleaming eyes. "Oh, not you," she cooed to him at her mother's comment on his crying. "No way you just wail, hm? You must roar." She looked up again at Vervain, her chest tightening at the touch to her cheek, and she nodded in agreement. She was reminded that her mother too had suffered for years apart from her family, that both of them had thought this was lost to them.

She looked back down to Felix as he dozed, now slipping into sleep with his full belly. Ashe bit her lip and stroked her fingers over his plump cheek, fingers that were criss-crossed with the scars of a life that said this should be impossible. She brushed them over his soft hair before she settled her hand over his chest that rose and fell with his small impossibly small lungs.

Ashe huffed a quiet laugh and nodded, looking up at her mother. "Any time," she said quickly. Once she might have panicked at the idea, not trusting herself for it but.. she looked down to Felix again and tilted her head at the way his small fingers wrapped tightly around one of hers. "Night or day." She looked at him for a moment longer, eyes dancing over his features and connecting him as her brother, her blood. Ashe looked up and considered her exhausted mother. "Do you want some tea? Or sleep?" she offered. "What do you need?"

lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

"Night or day," Vai agreed, planning to give Ashe as much time as she wanted with her baby brother. They had both been denied a family, and this was a perfect way to make amends, she thought. Letting out a long, content sigh, she sank back into the pillows and closed her eyes for a moment.

"Tea would be lovely," she said with a gentle nod. "But as for what I need, I think I have all of that right here with me." Opening an eye, she grinned at Ashe and patted the bed beside her.

"We'll have some tea and you can sit and tell me about everything I've missed? Since the barrier came down I've been something of a hermit, getting ready for this little one." She grinned at Felix, who was snoring contently in his big sister's arms.

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Change author:
Ashe
   A slow smile spread and Ashe nodded, looking down to Felix. "Tea then," she said quietly, rising from the bed with her brother carefully held close. "Rest for a minute." While she might not have talked much on it, Ashe remembered well how exhausting a newborn is - and that was without the toll of giving birth.

She smiled down at Felix as she headed for the kitchen, taking advantage of his sleeping and not wailing for their mother just yet. "Maybe I'm useless at cooking, but tea I can handle," she whispered to him. It was easy enough to keep her sleeping brother curled in one arm while she worked (literal) magic her free hand, boiling tea leaves and leaving a warm smell in the air, one that seemed to bring Ashe back to a small apartment back in another world. All the while she murmured soft nothings to Felix, memorizing his every feature that would change so, so fast.

It was with two mugs and a teapot held by one hand that she returned with, and Ashe carefully - and reluctantly - would pass off Felix to Vai so that she could pour steaming tea into each cup. "There," she said with a smile, offering the tea to Vai. The assassin moved to sit on the other side of the bed then - Devrum's side, no doubt. Her back leaned against the headboard as she lifted the aromatic tea and blew a soft breath against it, glancing softly at Felix before she looked up at her mother.

"A lot has happened," she said with a heavy breath, turning her eyes down to the hot tea between her hands. Her brows drew together, but her smile turned thoughtful. "I uh.. I'm not sure if you heard?" She huffed a laugh, disbelieving in a way. "Ronin.. He's back." Her smile couldn't be contained then, and her eyes turned back to her mother. The smile was heavy, weighted with all that had been done to accomplish it, but there was no mistaking the happiness there. "I met with the god of death, mom, and he agreed to give Ronin back."
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

Ashe left for the tea with Felix snug and safe in her arms, and Vai gave herself a chance to breathe. She sagged back into the pillows with a truly content smile, closing heavy eyes and letting herself rest while her son and daughter pottered about in the kitchen area. Only when she returned, cups clinking and the most wonderful smell on the air, did Vai stir again.

She accepted Felix willingly, the boy barely stirring as he was returned to his mothers arms, nestling close into her chest and seeming happy to be held while they spoke. Sipping at her tea, she listened carefully as Ashe began to explain everything that had happened. It was lucky that she wasn't still drinking when she uttered those words - Ronin.. he's back - because she likely would have spat it everywhere.

Instead, hastily placing the cup down, her blue eyes wide, she gazed across at her daughter with open shock. "He's back?" she repeated. "How? In what way? You..." Slowly it dawned on her, as Ashe spoke about meeting the god of death. Her free arm moved around her daughter, Vai drawing her close and kissing her dark hair. "What did he want in return? What did you have to sacrifice?" she whispered, more worried about that than feeling happy that Ronin was in the land of the living again.

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Change author:
Ashe
   Ashe realized her mistake with enough time to place her tea down before her mother pulled her in. She let out a huff, and she couldn’t help the way it sounded almost like a laugh. She adjusted herself so she wouldn’t squish Felix, glancing down at the slumbering newborn before she turned her head up to look at Vai. ”Nothing I’ll miss,” she promised, trying to make her tone sound reassuring. ”Mort was… fair. And wonderful.” The moment she said it, she felt the swell of emotion in her chest, and she quickly blinked back the prickling in her eyes. She swallowed roughly and looked down to Felix again, smiling shakily as she reached over to brush her fingers over his soft and dark hair. ”I was immortal.”

Her brows drew together with a quiet sigh, and she looked up at Vai. ”Something happened to me, to my soul, when the Voice called us here. Mort,” - there was no missing the quiet awe in speaking of the god of death, adoration even - ”He told me my soul would wander this world eternally, that I would never age, never die. So I… begged him. To take it and give Ronin back in return. And I embraced Death. He broke down my soul - it was death and rebirth.” Ashe's voice had grown unsteady in its reverence, and it was impossible to deny that something in her had been changed by the experience. Not just her now mortal soul, but in her. The way she saw the world - life and death and gods and mortals - had shifted.

She took a deep breath and laid her head against her mother's shoulder, and she quietly reached across herself to lace her fingers into Vai's hand. ”Now I'm mortal again, and Safrin pulled Ronin from the sky.”
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

Vai watched her daughter carefully as she explained, fire blue eyes fierce and protective in a way that said she'd be going after the god of death herself if she wasn't pleased with the response. Nothing she would miss? She arched an eyebrow, gazing into Ashe's face to try and find any trace that she was playing down her reaction. Relaxing just a touch at having both of her babies close, glancing from Ashe down to Felix, her lips parted in open surprise at the response she was given.

"Immortal?" she echoed, a thousand questions on her tongue that - thankfully - were answered in the next breath. She didn't miss the adoration and quiet awe in the assassin's eyes, Vai pressing a kiss to her dark hair. Her fingers laced into her daughter's, and she sighed and tilted her head to rest it against Ashe's. "What a noble thing to do," she murmured softly, unable to really place her emotions on the matter.

Immortality... a gift and a curse. Ultimately a curse, the more she considered it. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips, Vai realising soon enough that Ashetta had made the exact same choice that she would have. "You seem happier, having embraced Mort," she murmured. "What is he like?"

vervain
I am always on your side
Messenger

Change author:
Ashe
   Ashe huffed and scrunched her nose skeptically. ”I don’t know about noble..” she mumbled, the word feeling strange in association with her. She smiled a little at the kiss to her head, suitably mothered and happy to accept it. She watched her brother still snoring happily against their mother, and she glanced upwards again at the sound of her voice.

Mort. Warmth and shadow, right there and so vast… Ashe took a deep breath and let it out slowly. ”He’s… everything you would never expect from death,” she started. ”At least what I never expected. I thought he would hate me. Or that he’d be something else, something that appreciates everything I’ve done, and I’m not sure which would have been worse.” Her hand rubbed absently over her chest, and she smiled slightly. ”He’s warm. And welcoming. Accepting and gentle and so full of love.

She looked down and brushed her fingers over the top of Felix’s head. ”I don’t even know how to put it into the right words.” Ashe confessed quietly. ”Embracing him was… humbling. Painful to have my soul broken down, but he held me entirely - kept me safe, made sure I knew I wasn’t alone. I thought I knew death better than anyone, but I didn’t have a fucking clue. I was so…” She sighed and drew her hand back from her brother. ”I didn’t treat death with the respect it deserves. Life, either. Death shapes life. And knowing what he’s like, having felt him…”

Ashe sat up a little bit straighter, taking a full breath as she looked over at Vai. ”My mortality is a gift,” said the wolf. ”A gift I owe to Mort.”
lover, fighter.
Vervain Calob
Huntress / Witch

Change author:

"It is noble," Vervain insisted with a kind smile, rocking Felix absently as they spoke. She knew her daughter well enough to know that she would never associate any positive terms with herself, but that just meant Vai would have to convince her all the more. And what she had done was fucking noble. Brushing her cheek against Felix's mop of dark hair, she settled back to listen to Ashe's explanations about the god of death.

Tea in hand, ears open, Vai was suitably humbled and strangely soothed to hear about her daughter's brush with Mort, and of the peace and love he had given her. Such a wild soul, brought comfort at last by the being she had unwittingly served for so long. It was with a warm smile and prickling eyes that she nudged Ashe, letting out a soft sigh. "Then I trust you not to waste it, my girl," she said, glancing down at the baby as Felix began to stir again.

"Have you got plans for the rest of the day?" she asked. "I could use an extra pair of hands with him while I make dinner."

vervain
I am always on your side