Personal Quest roses and revolution
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
Soh took a deep breath as she turned a corner and began to walk towards the Silk Houses.

She hadn't been back since the attack, despite the fact that some of her favorite restaurants were situated amongst the bars and brothels. It was just too painful and, frankly, terrifying. But she'd chosen her day perfectly: it was noon, the streets were crowded, and she had people she was planning to meet. People who would, hopefully, go looking for her if she went missing.

She also stuck to the main roads and kept an eye out for anyone who looked vaguely sketchy. You know, just in case.

She'd set the meeting place for the intersection of roads widely known as the 'entrance' of sorts to the Silk Houses district, and she settled there now, her back to a building nearby, her daggers proudly displayed on her hips. She was determined not to be caught unawares again, but the set of her jaw betrayed how tense she really was.

But as terrified as she was to be back in the district that had scared her so badly, she was equally determined to make it safer. That was the goal of her quest today, and she waited patiently for others who felt the same way to arrive.

------

Welcome to a PQ to make Stormbreak's streets safer! Please post your character arriving. <3

1. Sohalia
2. Koa
3. Mateo
4. Lena
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Koa
Obviously Koa would come to this. Despite not knowing exactly where he stands with Sohalia since the thread hasn't finished, the young man DOES know that he wants to spend more time with her. That he can write it off as official Dragoon work is simply icing on the cake.

The fact that he looks pretty damn good in uniform doesn't hurt, either.

The young soldier shows up right on time, dressed neatly in pressed fatigues, his mother's sword hung at his hip. Pipsqueak is perched in her usual position on his shoulder, looking to all the world like a stately guardian instead of the gremlin made of chaos and trash she truly is. Together they make a smart pair as they stop in front of Sohalia, heels clicking and hand raised in a very official salute.

"Dragoons Koa and Pipsqueak reporting in, ma'am," the boy informs her in his most business-like tone, though his copper eyes sparkle with reigned-in mirth. "Here to offer our service in whatever form you may desire."

And yes, he winks at that last part. What can I say? The kid's a flirt.
it struck me that the two of us could run
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
Mateo

And here we have a study in opposites. To say that Mateo slouches up beside Sohalia where Koa has just smartly stood to attention is not far wrong, honestly, and it's with dark shades hiding tired eyes from the midday sun that he appears. The botanist is absolutely hungover, but luckily the peppermint bark he's chewing and the vague smell of incense on his clothes hides most of the more unpleasant elements.

"Showoff," he hisses at Koa, rubbing at his eyes under his shades and stifling a yawn behind his hand. Considering that he's absolutely in agreement that the Silk Houses do need to be made safer, Mateo doesn't look particularly bothered about being caught unawares. "If you could whisper your instructions to me, Sohalia, I would be very grateful," he adds.
i've told you time and time again
i'm not as think as you drunk i am
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
When Koa and Pip arrived, Soh couldn't help but smile shyly. They made quite the smart pair, and she laughed with delight as Koa saluted her. ... in whatever form you desire. Was he flirting with her? Oh gods, how did one flirt back? Despite their recent meeting, Soh was still quite new to this whole coquetry thing, and it was with a faint blush that she welcomed him. "Hello, Koa! And Pip, of course!" She briefly considered offering the dragon a treat from habit, but she didn't want to spoil their regal effect, so she resisted - barely.

Thankfully, she was saved from having to find something witty and clever to say by Mateo's presence. Her lips twitched as he sidled up to them, shades over his eyes, and implored her to whisper her instructions. "I'll do my best," she said, and though it wasn't a whisper, it was in a quiet voice. After all, she owed Mateo a great deal. If she could do something as simple as talking softly to make his life easier, she would do it gladly.

"Thank you both for coming," she said. "The Silk Houses is a wonderful district, but it's not the safest area, and I think we should do something about that." She'd searched for a way to do it through the government (or lack thereof), but having been unable to find someone to help her, she'd taken matters into her own hands. "I welcome any suggestions, but I thought we could start with some street lamps. It's terribly dark at night, and that means that robbers can sneak up on people." She spared a glance for Mateo, taking a deep breath to recenter herself before going on. "So, I've got some posts and lamps," she said, gesturing towards the pile of supplies behind her. "And to start with, we need to dig some holes for the posts."

------

It's time to dig some holes, evenly spaced down the street! No post order. <3

Also note that Lena is joining us, I got overexcited and posted before Heather could. ;D
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
Considering how readily Sohalia had assisted Lena lately, the Caretaker thought she could easily return the favor. Before long, strides carried her along the winding roads amidst the Silk Houses, and without getting distracted by any displays, she found the growing crowd. “Sorry I’m late,” she murmured, giving a warm wave to everyone.

Safety was something Lena would always insist upon anyways, even if she tended to spend most of her time within the Celestine. Nodding at the instructions and notions of streetlamps, she shifted eagerly to her arctic fox figure, presuming it’d be easier to dig holes with an adequate set of claws.

Then she set off to work, vulpine paws getting to business.

--

Lena arrives and shifts into an arctic fox to help with digging!
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo

Murmuring an unintelligible greeting to Lena as she arrives, Mateo listens and internally groans at the idea of any manual labour, but Sohalia is right, both about the Silk Houses needing to be safer and the helpful addition of light sources. "Alright, I will do my best," he tells her, peeling himself off the wall and grabbing a spade before moving a small distance down from where an arctic fox is diligently digging.

Mateo's work doesn't necessarily go slower, given the size of the spade compared to fox paws, but he's not nearly as energetic, and although he's absolutely used to digging given his profession, it feels far too hot to be doing this. Still, with only the smallest of complaints (mainly in the travelling tongue), he digs a hole deep enough to support a post for a lantern.

Mateo grabs a spade and gets to digging!
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Koa
Koa's expression cracks into a grin at Soh's blush, but before he can flirt further a very hungover Mateo appears, followed by Miss Lena, and it all seems a bit too serious for him to lean into the act. He does give Mateo a solid pat on the back as they head off to fetch shovels, grinning somewhat manically and ducking away to avoid any retaliation. Serves him right for partying too hard, though it isn't as though Koa hasn't been in his friend's shoes.

A shovel collected the young man begins the arduous task of digging holes. But wouldn't you know it, it's terribly hot, and he's getting quite sweaty, and so really, who can blame him for stripping off his shirt? Which he does, but it's fine, he has an undershirt as well, a thin piece of white cotton that leaves very little to the imagination as it hugs against his abs and stretches over his back.

And maybe he does glance every now and then to see if Sohalia is watching. But hey, if you're gonna do manual labor, might as well look good, right?

Pip, for her part, will attempt to help Lena. She wants no place in the bafoonish mating rituals of her human, thank you very much.

Koa strips off his shirt to impress Sohalia dig holes. Pipsqueak helps Lena.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
They all got to work quickly enough. Soh, who couldn't remember having seen Lena's fox form before, spared a curious glance at her friend as she began to dig with small paws. So, too, did she offer Mateo a smile and a gentle touch of thanks on the arm as he grabbed a spade and went to work. She and Koa grabbed their own shovels and went to work.

Soh selected her spot carefully and began to dig while keeping an eye on everyone else. She was doing fine until Koa decided to strip his shirt off - at which point she promptly turned pink and carefully studied her growing hole. She was a fairly modest person, and although Koa was technically still clothed, his meager white undershirt left little to the imagination. She peeked at him periodically from beneath her lashes, though, intrigued and distracted. As a result, her progress was slow.

Lena and Pip went to work on their own hole, but seeing as how they were both fairly small creatures, it seemed to be slow going for them. Still, between the two of them, progress was being made.

Mateo fared a little better, despite the hangover he was nursing, and managed to dig a hole deep enough for the light post. Koa, too, had managed to successfully dig a hole, and Soh put down her shovel to wander over to the two men, gesturing for them to follow her into the shade and shoving a bottle of water into each of their hands. "Drink," she told them sternly; it was hot, and this was hard work. Neither of them were going to be dehydrated on her watch.

She swiped the back of one hand across her brow, unknowingly leaving a mark of dirt behind. "Lena and I will finish digging, and you two can get started on installing the posts." Indeed, there were long wooden posts, concrete, and water nearby, so the poles could be cemented in place.

Soh returned to her shovel and got back to work.

------

Soh continues to dig!

Soh and Lena's holes are about half dug. Koa and Mateo were able to complete their holes - now it is time to install the posts. No post order! <3
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
Lena had never minded hard work – and had the Celestine to show for it. There’d be no complaints from her, even if her method had been slow going and a little more tedious. Offering a squeak of thanks towards Pip, the lovely little dragon, her claws worked their way through the dirt. It was almost peaceful and content, the way she could maneuver the sod and loam, and would’ve hummed absentmindedly, had she not been in the form of a fox.

She raised her head briefly at Sohalia too, with a little vulpine grin forming on the edges of her mouth, ivory tail wagging as they persisted and endured.

--

Lena keeps digging!
that kept so many warm
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Mateo sees your abs, Koa - and he knows they aren't just for show either, if the 'pat' on his back was anything to show for it. (It almost made him throw up, if he's being honest, but this isn't the botanist's first hangover). And look, he's managed to dig a hole! Feeling smug about it if for no other reason than because it's a miracle he got out of bed today, he willingly slinks into the shade to accept water from Soh.

"Grazie," he murmurs before taking a long and necessary drink, only to raise a brow at the dirt smudged across her brow. Producing a floral patterned handkerchief, he reaches out to smudge the streak of it away, offering a wink for her trouble.

Anyway - back to work. Glancing to Koa, he nods at the first hole they've dug between them. "If you steady the post I will pour in the cement?" he offers. "If we do it the other way around, these lights will all be crooked."

Mateo takes a break and suggests Koa holds the light posts steady while he pours in the cement to keep them in place!
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
Though Soh does not overtly stare as much as Koa might have liked, he does think he catches her glancing his way  at least once, which boosts his mood considerably. And perhaps his swagger (and muscles) is paying off, for he's able to make quick enough work of his digging. He accepts the water Sohalia offers gratefully, chugging it down in as manly (what) a matter as he can possibly muster- and then nearly choking when Mateo whips out a handkerchief to wipe dirt off her face, like a considerate gentleman and not a meathead show off.

Fuck.

Perhaps a little humbled, perhaps only grumpy, Koa grudgingly treats pole placement with more seriousness than he did digging holes. "Sounds good," he grumbles shortly, going to collect a post and haul it over to its new home. With a grunt of effort he raises it upward, using his shoulder as leverage, sweat gleaming on his brow. "Let me know when it's straight," the boy grunts to Mateo, eager to be rid of his burden as soon as possible. "Damn thing's heavy as a rock slider."

(Pip, for her part, is more than happy to continue to dig, pleased to have found herself a task that puts her natural talent for burrowing to work).

Koa tries to hold the light post steady for Mateo to pour cement.

Pip is happily digging away.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Mateo produced a handkerchief and reached for Soh's forehead. She instinctively flinched away before realizing that she must have gotten dirt on her face; she offered an apologetic smile and held still for Mateo to clean it off. "Thank you," she said softly, reaching out to squeeze his arm gratefully.

With the boys on their way to handle the posts, Soh returned to her digging. She kept an eye on the proceedings, but she still managed to complete her own task quickly, after which she put aside her shovel to observe the rest of the team's progress.

Lena, too, had completed her hole, assisted by Pip. Soh waved her friend over to the shade, where she held up a water bottle for the other woman. "Water?" she offered in a tone that made it clear she wasn't really asking, and waited for Lena to shift before handing the bottle over. Once she was sure her friend had taken a break, she gestured to the pile of supplies beside her. "I think we'll leave the posts to them," she told Lena with a wink. To be honest, she wasn't sure that she could lift one of the heavy beams, much less keep it steady in the ground. "But there are some lanterns over here that we can put together." Sure enough, there was a little pile of metal pieces that were meant to be lanterns. The tools they'd need to put them together sat off to the side.

Leaving Lena for a moment (and feeling more frazzled by the minute, what with how she was having to split her time between helping and supervising), she returned to Mateo and Koa. "It's straight!" she said, beaming at the handsome young man. She turned to Mateo. "Let me know if you guys need any help, all right?"

Soh returned to Lena and sat next to the lantern pieces to begin constructing her own lantern.

------

Soh and Lena have completed their holes, and it's time to put some lanterns together! Mateo and Koa need to continue planting light posts. No post order!

Soh begins putting lanterns together!
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Satisfied with the progress made, eventually she and Pip managed to finish their hole too. With a modicum of gratitude extended through Attuned measures, the Caretaker shifted, returning to her human form. Glancing back at Sohalia, and wiping her brow, Lena was content to oblige the request; not a single complaint made. “Thank you,” and she snagged at the bottle, gracefully draining about half of it before they moved to the next project.

“Sure,” nodding at the notions of lanterns – having created them many times before for varying circumstances. These wouldn’t be like those for Ludo and memories of perished family though; much more to the light the way of the streets. Nimble, calloused palms set to work immediately, putting the pieces together as best she could.

--

Lena works on the lanterns!
that kept so many warm
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Change author:
Koa
Well that's a relief; at least the post is straight. Once Mateo has poured the concrete and placed the supports, Koa steps gingerly away from the pillar, wiping sweat from off his brow. "Not bad, party king," he says convivially to Mateo, flashing the other young man a grin.

There are more to do, but it's hard and tiresome going, and a water break is in order, Koa thinks. He polishes off his bottle, drinking fast and heavy, before snagging two more from the pile and heading towards where the women and their lanterns sit. Lena, he sees, already has some, and so the boy opens one for Pipsqueak before extending the other out to Soh. "I don't see you drinking, oh fearless leader," the Dragoon says with a wink and a smile. He bows to Lena and rubs Pip's head before heading back to place the next lampost, a light spring in his step.

Pipsqueak, having slurped as much as she could from the bottle (and poured more on herself), decides the best way to 'help' Lena is by attempting to 'rescue' her from attacking materials, and sets about batting at any pieces of string or wire the caretaker may be attempting to use.

Koa gives Soh and Pip water, then goes to set the next post.
Pip attacks helps Lena.