[SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough
open
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Maea
I feel it in the wind, my dear
The sun is gonna reappear
Rain hammered against the tiny windows near the ceiling. It had been pouring for the better part of the day and a chill damp radiated through the new Lorekeeper's office despite the crackling fire within the common room hearth and the brazier within the study itself, where embers glowed red and lit up the metal container from within.

Maea noticed none of this. At some point she had drawn a shawl about her shoulders and brought herself a cup of tea. The brew had long since gone cold however, and sat half-empty amidst a sea of letters, reports and scribbled notes that crowded her desk. Deeply engrossed in her work to compile everything she had learned about the Starfall incident and the Void outbreak on Caido, the Loreseeker barely registered how the daylight faded, or when the thunder stopped grumbling over the city beyond. Every now and then she looked up from her work to reference a letter from the pile that Kiada had sent over, or to cross reference a date with the long list of notes she had compiled of her own conversations with various individuals.

Much remained infuriatingly unclear. There were gaps wide as barn doors in the collective knowledge about this whole matter, a realization that only became more obvious the further she progressed in her writing.

Finally, when she couldn't wrest anything else from the correspondence or her own memory, she signed off the report and set it aside with a weary sigh. Leaning back in her seat, Maea rubbed her stiff neck and closed her eyes for a moment. Something rustled in a corner; a book shifted on its shelf on the wall, and thudded loudly to the floor. She didn't look up. The chill in the room had as much to do with spirits of the dead as with the weather, and there was nothing she could do to help them. A subject for an entirely different report; one that would have to wait until some later date.

After a moment of rest, she reached for the quill again and pulled over a scrap of parchment. On it, she jutted down a list of what she still had left to do;
  • Write to Lena in Stormbreak, about void sightings
  • Outline for Void experiments, decide on location
  • Diplomatic talks? Ball? Talk to Danta

The pen tapped against the page, leaving blots of ink behind while she considered. Maea was sure there was more. Not feeding the dread creatures in the Maverick's office - she needed no reminder of that duty. But though she wrecked her brain, she couldn't think of what it was. It was late, and she was tired - perhaps it would come to her in the morning.

Slowly, stiff in the fingers from the unpleasant chill, she began to clean up the chaos on the desk. Stacks of letter and notes grew into piles, returned to envelopes, disappeared into the trash bin or was eaten up by flames in the cases where she threw them onto the brazier.

And all the while, silence reigned over the old guildhall. Until an indistinct noise in the hallway beyond her office caused her hands to grow still, and Maea listening intently for a hint as to what it was. A visitor at this hour? Something else entirely? It better not be more ghosts.
Good days are gonna come along
Hold on, hold on!
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦

Messages In This Thread
[SE] it wasn't because I didn't know enough - by Maea - 03-16-2024, 04:14 AM