Mini Event Magic 101
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Though many Outlanders had no problem accepting or using the magic that they had arrived on Caido with, many Naturals in the Hollowed Grounds continued to hold Abandoned in fear or disdain, hiding their powers or shunning their family and friends who developed them. It had seemed to be easing somewhat, at least in town and from what Jigano had seen, but the experiences of Quanil and Freina had rekindled his concerns on the matter.

The previous space used for the Flora and Fauna lecture had been shrunk after the smaller attendance and the shift of the upstairs bookshelves from the new dormitories to the space where once the hole in the wall had spilled rubble into the building. Now it was a cozier collection of tables and chairs, some large enough to share, others mere desks for one person to sit and take notes at.

Jigano waited for Loreseekers, Outlanders, Naturals, and others to make their way in, resting with a hip against a table at the front of the little gathering, nodding and smiling to those who came. When it seemed like most of those who would arrive were in place he stood and cleared his throat, falling into the role of teacher and public speaker with a comfortable ease.

”Thank you for coming today, to my second seasonal presentation as part of both the Loreseekers' Guild and as Outlander Advisor. For many Naturals this may be information you already know, but I thank you for showing interest and support. Today’s topic is one that has a complex and difficult history within the Hollowed Grounds: I speak of magic, of its different types and levels.” He paused to sweep a blue-eyed glance across those gathered, his mien somber. ”I know that for some it is a subject of resentment or disgust. For others it is simply who they are and how they were born – or brought here having. I do not wish this to become a theological debate, but to present the information that we’ve uncovered in the records here. Perhaps it might bring some comfort to some, or make what is mysterious and fearful easier to understand. Perhaps it will simply entrench the opinions you already hold. Whatever the result, please be mindful of others in attendance when you phrase your questions.”

He was rarely shy in sharing his own opinions, after all, but the lessons of what to expect from Caido – largely geared towards Outlanders who were unfamiliar as of yet with the workings of this new world – weren’t always the best place for them.

”Once everyone is ready, I’ll begin with the elemental magics,” he said after a moment to let any who wished to leave do so. ”We can do questions between each section, as we did in the previous presentation.”

This ME is for presenting information on the magic of Caido, which Jigano learned of by using his Broken Spectacles in Until Further Notice

Age: 23 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Quanil had encouraged her to attend. "You'll learn SO MUCH!" And, under normal circumstances, taking time off from her fledgling business was not how she would have wanted to spend today.

But this was specifically about magic, and since this was now a part of her life, she wanted to know. She was also hopeful of seeing what attitudes others brought to the figurative table; her parents were known for being overprotective. Maybe the mindset she'd been raised with was not as common as she thought.

In any case, she hadn't come to take notes, but to listen and observe. She took a seat near the back, the better to keep an eye on any others in attendance (and to leave quickly if such became necessary, though she doubted it; what could go wrong at a lecture?).
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
I will always be a scholar.

Even when I am unwittingly transported across space and time, and changed deep within, my mind will always, always yearn for that specific pleasure that is derived purely from learning, from studying, from growing the hoard of knowledge.

I wasn't accelerated through the best veterinary medical schools Australia had to offer as a teenager for just any old reason, after all.

Though I had already learned so much since arriving in this world, already my mind was processing this new information at a rate probably far faster than a 'normal' person would take it in. My brain was used to being exercised, pushed to its limits, and past them, all in the pursuit of more, more knowledge, more understanding, more unravelling of the mysteries laid out before us.

So when I heard that the delightful chap Jigano was holding a lecture about a topic I had never officially studied before, I jumped at the opportunity to attend.

Yes, it meant learning a lot along the way too. Like, portals. Apparently, it was a portal that brought me here, though evidently, a wild and improperly controlled one. With appropriate guidance, I found the portal, while unsettling, relatively simple to navigate.

Now, finding the location where Jigano was holding said lecture, was another matter. I scouted for a dome, keeping mostly to myself as I navigated my way, mostly following my instincts (which I have come to rely on a lot more recently, and come to trust a lot more readily, too).

I get there, eventually. All in time for the thing to start.

I offer a smile to those I pass in the audience, and a quiet nod of greeting to Jigano, before settling myself down at a table with plenty of space for me to take notes on the simple notebook I carry with me. Idly, I look out for Isuma, hoping to see the beautiful creature once more (and bummed that I evidently missed the lecture about flora and fauna, but optimistic that there will be time yet to learn such things).

I admire Jigano. The man was young, and yet, learned, wise and embraced his role as speaker with an easy grace. I can only hope to be able to do similar one day - but first, I needed the knowledge, and so hungrily, I absorbed everything he had to say, making notes where relevant in my notebook with my simple lead pencil.
Chulane
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
There were far fewer people at this lecture than he had hoped, but Jigano squared his shoulders and faced those who had come. He gave a smile and a grateful nod to Freina and Chuy (who would, indeed, find a cheerful gryphon swooping down from her perch on a nearby bookshelf to flop down beside his notebook, expecting scritches and purring contentedly if she received them). When it seemed like no one else would be arriving until later, he drew a breath and pulled back the first sheet of paper on the easel Libbs had helped him set up half a year ago.

”There are five elemental magics of Caido,” he began. ”Fire, Earth, Water, Air, and Lightning. What they share in common is that, in their most basic forms, they allow a mage to manipulate the element within roughly five feet, though control is unstable. If the element is honed to its upgraded form, both range and control increase. Upgraded elements can be controlled within thirty feet of the mage, but they still cannot be created. Only when one has reached the mastered level of a given element can one create it.” He grinned as he caught sight of Isuma looking mournfully at Chuy for more scritches, but returned to a more serious mien as he nodded to Freina.

”Lightning magic is one of the more difficult types of magic to practice early on. In its base form it amounts to controlling static electricity, but when upgraded it can deflect natural and magical lightning. When mastered, you can create lightning within a thirty foot radius, making it a particularly dangerous element, and one well-suited to offensive combat.

“Water magic is prized in Halo. Again, though its basic form is limited to puddles, when upgraded it can be used to move large quantities of water and calm or create large waves in pools and rivers. But when mastered, not only can water be created but its temperature can be controlled, chilled to ice or raised until the water turns to steam. Useful for staving off hypothermia or building shelter in a snowy land,”
he added wryly.

”Air mages will find their element around them most of the time, making it a bit more convenient for them to practice with. When it’s upgraded it can even lift a person off the ground, up to perhaps five feet – or any other medium to large object that isn’t nailed down. Mastered, you can create air to breathe underwater or create strong enough gusts to lift things up to ten feet off the ground.” He didn’t look at Freina as he said this, speaking to the hall as a whole as he respected her right to decide when and how she wished to hide or display her own magic.

”Fire is another magic that is primarily destructive, though it can also be used to put out dangerous fires from other sources,” he continued, warming to his topic. ”Budding fire mages might only be able to affect or snuff candles at first, but the amount of flame that can controlled will quickly increase when upgraded, and when mastered it can be created at will, to cook food or attack others at a distance.”

Taking a breath he tilted a wry smile at his audience. ”I’ve saved Earth magic for last, because it is often the most complex and complicated. It gives power not only over soil and rock, but over plant life as well. In its most basic form a mage of earth can bend flowers or heave small rocks. Upgraded, it can uproot trees or speed the growth of living plants, or pull pillars of packed earth into rough formations to create shields or barricades. When mastered, earth magic can create both soil and plants, such as fruit and vegetables. Though it’s limited by the region you’re in at the time,” he cautioned. ”For instance, an earth mage in Torchline can create breadfruit while there, but not here in the Hollowed Grounds.”

He reached for a nearby mug of water, taking a soothing drink as he waited for any questions, or late arrivals to wander in.

Age: 23 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Well, so much for blending into a crowd! But Jigano was good at projecting his voice; she had no trouble hearing him back here. Even so, she couldn't help leaning forward when he started describing the elemental magics.

Her eyes widened when she heard what was possible when her own air magic was upgraded. It certainly would have made getting up to the roof to patch holes easier if she could lift people!

She glanced around, surprised no one else save one person was interested in learning about this. She'd learned a lot and the lecture had just started!

She raised her hand, cleared her throat, and asked, sounding as disinterested as she could, "Can you combine elemental magics?" Jigano wouldn't be fooled by her pretend apathy for an instant, but it was habit. Never let them see what you want.
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
Class size variance to an extreme degree was something I was familiar with. University studies that took up most of my teenage years saw me attend many a lesson where other students had barely rolled out of their bedsheets, with minimal effort put in to dress and prepare for the day, especially as the semester went on. The start of semesters were always the most attended, and the final lessons were often sparse, as stress levels and time management affected students' abilities to juggle study and social commitments.

Great delight crinkled the corners of my eyes as a grin curved my lips, watching Isuma swoop towards me, gently demanding attention, which I willingly gave to her. I was prepared, always, for interactions with these creatures, and happily offered a cracker from my pocket to her, laughing quietly to myself as she purred and enjoyed the pats and scritches I freely provided her.

Then Jigano began to talk, and I took notes, writing quickly, doing my best to summarise each element as he spoke about it. It was all fascinating to me, and while I continued to offer Isuma what attention I could, I also devoted the majority of my focus to the words being said, the information being offered. I may have just been an Attuned, beyond the shift gifted to me on my arrival here, no magic flowed through my veins, but I still wanted to know all that I could.

Another student poses a question, an extremely valid one, that I am sure to make note of the answer to when Jigano provides clarification. I then pose my own, curious to know the potential of these elements on the subject that interests me greatly.

"Is there an element that can be attributed to the healing arts?"
Chulane
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Small though his audience was, they were bright and engaged and Jigano smiled in delight at the excellent questions from both of them. Nodding to Freina first, he addressed her question eagerly. "Yes, as a matter of fact, though the combinations are most effective when melded with creation magic. Earth and fire can be combined with creation to manipulate and make metal, for instance - or baked bread. Air, earth, and creation can make poisonous gas. Other kinds of magic can be combined as well, but the rule of thumb with these is that 'base' or untrained magics will tend to produce creations that are rougher, weaker, and less longer-lasting than combining magics that are fully mastered."

Which brought him to... "Creation magic is a particularly interesting type of magic that is very versatile, but on its own is an 'invisible' magic. Once, it allowed you to create man-made objects at will, even magical items, but in recent seasons it has grown unstable and weak compared to its previous power. Now it only seems to work when combined with an elemental magic, giving the element shape. You can combine Earth and Creation to make a table, for instance, or a clay mug. You can combine Water and Creation to make a drink to put in that mug. Water and air seem more difficult to combine with it on their own, but can meld with other magics to produce various effects."

He turned next to Chulane, his grin widening at how Isuma had claimed another fan and was being spoiled to her heart's delight. "Not one of the elements we just talked about, but there is magic specifically for Healing," he explained with an approving nod. "Healing magic is extremely useful for those who develop it. At its most basic, it can heal bruises and minor scrapes, and lessen the severity of deeper wounds. With training, or at least practice, it can be strengthened to heal cuts and fractured bones, and even some mental illnesses. In its mastered form it can stabilize life-threatening injuries and internal damage that even our most skilled medics would struggle to close in time." Information he was sure the vet'ranarian would appreciate.

"The opposite of that is Life Drain magic." A more sobering topic, reflected in the fading of his smile as he spoke. "It's a magic that saps the vitality from its target. At first it's limited, like the elements, to within roughly five foot of the wielder and will do little more than make you feel fatigued, but as it strengthens its influence spreads to thirty feet, and it can kill crops or cause creatures to lose consciousness if kept within its bounds for too long. At its strongest, the wielder can pull strength from living creatures around themselves to bolster their own." A phenomenon he'd experienced himself in training, and never wished to feel again. "Someone with Healing magic can never gain Life Drain magic, and the same is true in the other direction. Morever, someone with Life Drain magic cannot be affected by Healing magic."

He tilted his head, waiting to see if the new information had bred new questions before continuing.

Change author:
She raised her hand again. The information on elemental manipulation magics was very interesting, but it was that last bit that had sparked a question. When called upon, she asked, "So if you have Healing, you can't have its opposite magic; is the same true with elements? If someone has Water magic, are they incapable of gaining Fire?"

No one really knew how a person gained magic, but it'd be interesting to learn if there were other limitations besides this one about Healing and Life Drain.
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
There were more elements, though they weren't traditional 'elements', that made up the magical definition, more than Air, Water, Fire and Earth (the four elements that my before-home was most familiar with), with a fifth being Lightning, and a great number of others if one combined any of these in various ways to produce the effect they sought. It was intriguing, and I nodded along happily as I took notes down. Magic sounded like a combination of science and art, of mathematical equations finding a balance so that wonder could be beheld.

Then there was Creation, and I found this fascinating as well - to be able to conjure up permanent objects by harnessing the elements and combining it with this was, needless to say, awesome. It explained much of what I had seen in Caido since arriving, a blend of almost-modern looking furnishings combined with the rustic, almost-medieval settings. He spoke of healing magic then, which was just as fascinating - masters of this art needn't be experts in surgical procedure, they needed only to wield their magic to save a life. It was a difficult concept for me, a veterinarian from modern-day Earth, to wrap my head around; but then I was also a nerd, who read and played in fantasy worlds where magic was the answer to everything, so I leaned into that to help my brain accept this as fact.

The impact of Jigano's words on Life-drain magic render my mind silent, however.

I sit, wide-eyed, amazed, possibly a bit scared, at the notion that such a thing exists at all, that it could be possible to simply will someone dead, and death would occur. As my mind starting ticking over again, I shook my head at the thought of it, praying it was something I never came across, both in myself and in another (though if it were to exist in another, I would hope they were a friend and not a foe).

I breathe a sigh as the other in the room asks a question, looking to my notes to see that all I have written on this topic is life-drain. And, to be honest, I think that is all I want to write on it.

I was a doctor. I was bound by the Hippocratic oath. The very idea of willing death onto another was so abhorrent, so repulsive to me, I almost didn't want to learn anything more about it.

Almost.

Scratches to the gryphon resume after my somewhat lengthy pause, as I try to think through my troubled thoughts to put together a question for the man - where did I even begin?

"Is each element favoured by a particular god, or do they simply exist, within the land or the mage who wields them?"
Chulane
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Freina’s question was reasonable, and Jigano gave a solemn nod of thanks for her bringing it up. ”As far as I know, the only schools of magic that completely oppose each other are Healing and Life Drain. Fire and Water can be used by the same person, as can Earth and Air. The more elements you combine with Creation magic, the more variety of things you can make, as well,” he explained.

Chuy had the difficult task of trying to take notes while also appeasing a fluffy distraction in the form of Isuma, and the bard grinned at the man, but the question gave him a moment’s pause to think about how it must look to a newly-arrived Outlander. ”The Old Gods as a whole frown on magic,” he said at last. ”As far as we know, the capacity for it arose spontaneously in humans in the past, and is unrelated to them entirely. It sounds as though it was largely ignored in humans until the Voice came along. Since that war, the gods have taken it as a threat to be wary of. The Voice had also ignored magic-users, apparently because something in their magic made them resistant to becoming Ascended, but recently she seems to have found a way around that.” Rex and Neron came to mind, a dangerous precedent in both cases, but he raised a questioning brow at Freina to see if she - as a Natural - had anything to add on the known history.

”I mentioned Creation magic earlier,” he picked up again, settling back into his role. ”It has an opposite type as well, in Disintegration magic. The magic of destruction is limited to man-made objects rather than natural ones, unless combined with an element – Earth, for stone, or Water for ice, for instance.” He nodded to Freina, who had brought up the topic of combining magics. ”At first it can only destroy smaller objects or damage larger ones within five feet, but it can eventually be used to explode solid objects, and at its strongest it can turn such things to dust.”

His solemn expression lightened a bit as he moved on to the next lesson. ”Telekinesis can also be used in a similar matter, to break apart objects both natural and man-made, but it can also be used to simply lift and move objects. Light and small objects at first, as you might guess, but by the time its range increases you can use it to lift a table, or multiple smaller objects. When mastered it can even be strong enough to move a human being.”

Jigano chuckled a bit as he continued. ”Combined with Illusion magic, it can make for some very convincing images. On its own, Illusion magic toys with the senses. It can create phantom sounds as well as minor images, though they’re rough at first, more effects than true projections. As one progresses in it, the illusions become more complex and larger, and include multiple effects – sound and sight, but also scent and temperature. Unlike other magic, illusions are limited to within five feet of the caster until the magic is mastered, at which point they can be expanded to thirty feet and become nearly impossible to see through.”

His smile softened as he hitched his hip onto the front desk, a memory of someone dear to him flickering warmly through his eyes. He turned an amused gaze on Chulane, suspecting the man would appreciate the second to last topic. ”The last common magic is Summoning – the creation of animals that are almost indistinguishable from real ones, but which lack any true spark of life. They last while the summoner concentrates on them, and only act under the summoner’s commands. They lack personalities, memory, or even a sense of pain, and they cannot be consumed for meat or used for leather, for as soon as the summoner ceases concentrating they vanish. They are something like a very convincing illusion with a temporary physical form, limited to the shapes of animals. At first a summoner can only maintain a single small animal, but as they grow in power they can either manage a medium sized creature, or two smaller ones at the same time. The trend continues when mastered, to summon one large, two medium, or three small creatures – all of the same type. Though, also when mastered, the types of animals summoned can also include those which are mythical or extremely rare, such as dragons or unicorns.”
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
Magic, as it turned out, was as convoluted and complicated as many science subjects I had studied. Science made sense to me, it was logical, rooted in following clear processes to test outcomes again and again. Magic was similar, it would seem, pliable and mixable, able to be tested and tried with varying results. But what was magic? Was it energy? Jigano talked about elements, but was it the elements themselves that were magical, or the wielder?

The origins of magic were as foggy to those who were learned in their ways as it was to me, at least. Spontaneous arrival sounded a lot like we don't know, but it's convenient, so we accept it.

Just another mystery for me to research.

A brow raised as I noticed Jigano's gaze on me, and the topic shifted to something that did indeed capture my interest. Summoning he called it, and I recognised it as the ability that Loren used to call what I now know is a Ningo, to answer a question I might have drunkenly asked as I went to rest for the first time after my arrival in this realm. I was definitely interested - to be able to summon animals at will, to control them, would be an amazing opportunity to study them, to learn about them, while maintaining safety of both "real" animals and the summoner alike.

"Is Summoning something only mages can do too?" I ask, unclear as I knew Loren was at the very least an Attuned, but held this ability (the existence of so-called 'hybrids' as yet unknown to me).
Chulane
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Summoning is a form of magic, yes." Jigano nodded clarification of Chulane's question. "And so far the only ones who I've seen use it are those who were born with magic, or those who gained the gods's ire and were cursed with it... among humans, at least. The Fae also seem to have some instinctive power similar to our own magic, and the gods's chosen ones, well... their powers hold a similarity to it as well, but tend to be far more, ah, unique."

The bard smiled wryly, clapping his hands together. "Which brings us to the final entry of the night. Wild magic. Spontaneous magic. Unique magic. The other types I've mentioned are held by many, even though each individual mage might only develop an affinity for four or five schools - or less - at varying levels of mastery, enough is known about these common types to understand their limitations and potentials across many mages. But some mages develop magic that no one else - or at least, very few - have ever recorded. Rexanna, for instance, can create fireworks, though she lacks the more usual control of normal Fire Manipulation. Remi can give limited sentience and mobility to plants - and a very odd power that is," he added with a chuckle. "To see a flower looking back at you and doing a little dance! The Guild is seeking to record and catalogue these more personalized types of magic for future reference, so if you should come across any stories or meet anyone who has such abilities, we'd appreciate knowing." He looked over the small class with a smile, and from the pile of slim journals at his side he selected two, bringing them to Freina and Chulane respectively - and collecting Isuma before she tried to follow the vet home.

"I've made records of the known magics, at least, if you'd like to study them further. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or add to what we know if you come across anything new or different. Ah, and Chuy? Give me a moment and I'll fetch a copy of the Hollowed Grounds Flora and Fauna Guide before you go."

That concludes this ME! Thank you both for attending!

Freina and Chulane now have access to the Magic page in the site Guidebook!
Chulane now has access to the Hollowed Grounds Flora and Fauna section of the Guidebook!

{Finished}