knowing me, knowing you
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
run away and take me with you
The docks are repaired and there's a route from Stormbreak to Torchline. And honestly? It takes all of Ronin's willpower not to sit with Seren at the port and wait for the first ship to come in so he can take her back home. Well. It might be home, one day. Right now it's just some place she ran away from.

But there's other things they might do together for now, and he did promise his daughter that they would get her dragon. And so it's to the Rainbow Road with both of them, Sugar freewheeling overhead in the cloudless sky, sweat already beading between Ronin's shoulder blades. He's been largely silent for their trip thus far, but eventually he can't stand it any longer.

"Did you not like it there?" he wonders softly. Of Stormbreak, he means. Of training with the dragoons, of spending time together.
don't let go, i need your rescue

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1897
Fall on me with open arms. Fall on me from where you are
It was not a bad start. Working together, laughing. It could have been perfect. Should have been, if not for her. The further they came from busy docks and the distracting presence of others however, the more her smile faded. A silence that ought to have been easy and comfortable weighed on her, and this was not the kind of mountain the starchild could just wish away.

When her father finally spoke, Seren's head whipped around so fast that it strained her neck. "What? No! I mean yes, I did. I do. That's not it, dad, I..." Words tumbled over one another, and fearing she would bite her own tongue she made herself stop to swallow. Taking a deep breath, she made herself slow down. "I am so sorry, father. I never meant to be gone so long. All I wanted was to see what it was like outside of Stormbreak." Looking at maps and staring out from the top of high walls had seemed so... uninformative. "I... underestimated how big the Wilds were. Or how far I could get in a day. I thought I'd be back before the weekend was over."

A royal understatement, that. It had seemed like only a quick jaunt, yet before long Seren had been lost. Carefree about it at first, but with every passing day... She dragged a hand over the face, and for once the usual smile was nowhere to be seen. A tension around her eyes told of mounting strain, of sleepless nights and fright. A still healing cut in her skin, below the hairline, suggested that it had not been the fun and game she intended.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
He isn't used to this. Wanting both to scold Seren for being foolish (and knowing better, because she's an adult, Ronin, just like you) and sweep her up into his arms and hold her, he ends up doing nothing at all at first. Nibbling at the inside of his cheek, he keeps his eyes on the Rainbow Road when she starts to speak, before letting out a soft sigh. "If you had wanted to see outside the walls, you could have come to me," he says, unconsciously echoing her gesture and rubbing a hand across his eyes and forehead.

"I thought I would have to go to your mother," he admits. And that would have gone swimmingly, he was sure. "But I knew she would probably think it safest to take you back into the sky with her. I don't disagree with that, by the way," he says, brow furrowing as he glances to Seren, "but I didn't think it would be what you wanted."

Slowly, his shoulders relax, and he looks at her properly. "Are you alright?" he asks then, the tension unravelling from his voice. He's frightened too, but his fear has teeth, turning it into something protective.

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
It was true. She could have. Should have, too. And even as she thought that, a hundred reasons for not doing so cropped up. One by one, scorching the tongue as she almost offered them up. She hadn't wanted to disturb him. She wanted to do it on her own. She didn't think she had to. But one by one, Seren swallowed them back down, as the excuses they were. "I didn't... want to hear you say no," she admitted weakly.

Shame was a new flavor never sampled before, but it was all over her mouth now. Sour and vile, scorching her insides. Hearing that he was of a mind to send her back to her mother certainly did not help. Seren flinched visibly and lowered her head. Staring down at the sand, she didn't see Ronin relax. Heard the easing of his tone, but felt no better for it. "Yes," she simply replied. "I was helped... when there was a need."

This was the time for her to talk about the river, and the almost drowning, and kind people. Of Halo, and portals, and... But her throat had gone dry, and she didn't know how to say it, without losing whatever sliver of trust her father might still have in her.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Why would I have said no?" Ronin asks with a sad smile, his shoulders sagging a little more. "I suppose we still have a long way to go when it comes to getting to know each other, huh." But Seren isn't looking at him, and when she speaks he feels his blood turn to ice in his veins. "There was a need?" he guesses, his footsteps slowing to a halt now.

Slowly, Ronin steps forward and opens his arms, enveloping Seren in a hug providing she doesn't halt him. "Do you want to talk to me about what happened? How you got to Torchline?" he asks softly. "You worried me sick, Seren. But you're back now. And for the future, I have a charm that makes sure any letters you send will always reach me. So if you ever get lost, or if you ever need help, if you can send a letter to me, I'll get it. And I'll come and find you, okay?"

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Ronin's words washed over her like cool rain, soothing some of the burn within. She did nothing to resist as he pulled her close. A bit of hesitation was all, but then Seren slung her own arms around her father's back and buried her face against his shoulder. It was true; knowing someone cared about you was not the same as knowing them. There were so many things they didn't have, still. Communication in particular was something she would have to work on.

Closing her eyes against the burn of unshed tears, she nodded. There had been a need. And she wanted to talk about it. Hiding, keeping secrets... it was not how she wanted to be. The notion of being only a letter away from her father was incredibly reassuring... and there was no end to her berating of herself for not pausing to think before going off on her own. If only Seren had asked. If only.

"I was climbing rocks," she admitted, with a voice that only shook a little. Not unusual; she always loved high places. "By a river. But I slipped, and fell in. I.. hit my head pretty hard." The echo of the crack as skull met solid stone still made her shudder. "A man from Halo was there. Noah Olson. He saw me fall, and dragged me up. I wasn't really conscious, so... he brought me home with him." A kind thing to do and a very natural a thing to do. Go to where things are familiar for help. It wasn't Noah's fault that it brought her further from where she should have been.

"Getting here... I used the Portal. I'm sorry, dad" - again - "I know I shouldn't have... but I couldn't think of another way to reach you." It had been the portal, or several months of travel through the Wild back to Stormbreak.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
He welcomes her into his arms and she may as well still be only tiny, for all it matters to Ronin. Pressing a kiss against her dark hair, he holds her close and lets himself be reassured that for all she's about to say, Seren is whole and here and safe. And so Ronin merely listens, at first, his brow furrowing and worry rattling his bones to hear that she'd ended up so far away, as well as the things she'd needed to do to get home.

"It seems I might owe Noah Olson a great deal of thanks, then," he murmurs eventually, a small smile flickering over his face as he steps back to gaze down at her. "I forgive you, Seren. Let's just try not to use those portals again, okay? I don't know what would happen if someone got hold of you who wanted to..." He shakes his head sharply, not even wanting to consider it.

"You know about the letters now. And the skyport will be open for travel between Stormbreak and Torchline. So as long as it's not on your training days, there's nothing stopping you coming here. How does that sound for starters?"

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
She owed Noah, too. "Mhm. I wish I knew how to repay him... He's really nice." The remark that had nothing to do with anything. Nor did the slight color on her cheeks, though it could simply be the sun. It was a warm day, wasn't it.

"Okay. It's a promise. Would anyone really try to..?" She couldn't finish. Didn't know what to think, who might want anything with her. To hurt her mother, perhaps? Or Ronin, maybe... but that was the extent of the reasons she saw.

Regaining her balance as he stepped back, the girl rubbed at her eyes and straightened up, breathing deep until the knots in her shoulders began to loosen. Her smile was tentative at first, though it was perhaps a touch surprised. After all this, she could still flutter off to Torchline whenever she wanted? "That's... yeah. That sounds good. And I'll let you know when I do. So if I'm not back for training, or send a message, you know something's up."
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Is he? Well, you leave repaying him to me, alright? I've got more favours to call in than you do right now." Ronin's smile is warm and playful, but that's about it. Was it code for you don't owe this man anything? Who knew indeed. And the fires of protectiveness both stoke and cool at the mere thought of something happening to Seren whilst using a portal, and he huffs out a long sigh and leans in to kiss her forehead.

"Don't get me wrong - I have... well, I had friends who are Ascended. They are people, just like you and I. And they have a goddess, just like you and I do too. I don't know if they would ever hurt you in the Voice's name, but I do know that with your mother being who she is, you have a big target on your back. I can't guarantee that someone won't use that to get at Safrin, or to get at me. And right now that's not reassurance enough, not when you might be at risk." It's complicated, and the storm in Ronin's eyes shows it. "Do you understand?" He hopes she does.

He hopes so, especially considering that yes, she can still flutter off to Torchline whenever she wants. "You might be my daughter, but you're not a child any more, Seren. I can't make you do anything, so I'd rather us have agreements than rules." He winks.

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The messages were somewhat conflicting. She was not a child, and there were more agreements than rules. But she was not to repay debts of gratitude by herself, all while strangers and fanatics may or may not be coming for her in the name of hurting her parents. So... where exactly did that leave her? Confused, is where.

"No, I don't think I fully understand," she admitted, more honest than reassuring. But at least she was smiling again, and reached out to catch Ronin's hand in hers. "But I can be careful anyway. If I assume that any stranger might be a danger until proven otherwise, would that be a good start?" It was not in her nature to see enemies wherever she went. But if it helped put her father at ease, and prevented harm to her family, then she would try. It would seem that she now had more than one reason to train as a soldier, too.

Turning back towards the path they had been walking, Seren felt as though a great weight was lifting from her shoulders. None of these new worries compared to the stress of being at odds with her father, and now that everything was out in the open none of it seemed as bad as it had. "In an ideal world, how would you like things to be?" she asked as they walked, while keeping an eye out for the steam of erupting geysirs. "Between us, and in general?"
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
Ronin smiles at that - he can very much appreciate that things were complex, and not always for the same reasons. Reaching out, he gives her hand a gentle squeeze back and nods. "Sounds good to me," he says, drawing her hand up to kiss the back of it before they're walking again, strolling along the Rainbow Road with the Longheat sun on their backs. He feels a similar sort of relief unclench around his heart; it isn't so much being at odds with Seren as living without knowing she was alright. At least they can move on from here.

Speaking of which, the Star grins to his daughter as she poses her question. "Between us? I just want you to be able to come to me if you need anything. I'd hate to think you were worried about what I'd say or how I'd react," he says. "In general, though? I'd like you to be able to do all the things you want to do, and to be able to handle yourself while you do them. So I guess having a dragon to help watch your back is a good start, right?" He grins, glancing up as a jet of water roars up into the sky in the distance.

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Laughing quietly with relief at the approval, and the oh so gallant affection, Seren sealed the deal with a firm nod. Done, then. Wariness it was. Caution to be held tight, not thrown to the winds. And she listened with interest to the reply, again surprised that Ronin's wishes were so simple. "I want those things too," she said, blowing away a tendril of hair as it tried to settle over the lips. "Probably I'm too impatient... I see all these places and things I want to do, and don't take the time to think anything through before leaping in. So when it goes wrong, it explodes in my face."

She wanted to be like a spinning top expertly unleashed; steady and fairly humming with velocity, balanced perfectly while spinning impassionately. The kind of force that repelled anything standing in its way, that could seemingly go on forever without stopping. Instead, all Seren did was wobble frantically. Crashing into things, stumbling about without grace. Seren told her father as much, and asked, "How can I become like that? And," she had to laugh, "do you think the dragon will make it better or worse?" Someone who would enable her... It could be the best thing, or chaos waiting to unfold.

Seeing the spray of water, excitement sprung to life in her eyes, and Seren reached into the pocket dimension. Rummaging hastily for the frosted over shell, so she would have it ready. "That one?" she suggested, leaving it to Ronin to guide them safely closer.
Seren
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"The good thing is that those are all learning opportunities," Ronin points out with a sly smile in her direction. "If nothing ever exploded in your face, you'd never learn how to approach it the next time. Hopefully in future, though, you can mess up on a smaller scale rather than ending up so far away from home." He gives her a gentle, teasing nudge with his elbow; hopefully in time, they'll use this as an in joke between them rather than a moment of panic and shame.

Ronin listens to her description, admiring her way with words, and he nods gently. "Experience," he says slowly. "And a lot of boring practice, I'm sorry to say. Once you've been in enough situations, you can keep a calm head even when things go wrong. And I actually found Sugar and I to be both polar opposites and exactly the same. She's a lot of things, but rarely is she a bad influence," he admits, grinning up at the cloudless sky where he knows, should he whistle, the pale reptile will come soaring by.

"That one," he confirms for the geyser, nodding and hurrying closer. They arrive just as the water calms, and Ronin grins at Seren. "Go ahead, throw it in!"

RONIN
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"So my only option is to keep messing up? That's reassuring!" she said with a laugh. And it was, because it removed any pressure she might have on herself to do things perfectly the first time around. Having ambition was good, and setting goals for oneself was great, but thinking you should climb every mountain and expect to reach the top right away was only destructive. Patience, then, was what she really needed to hone in herself. And as Seren followed Ronin's gaze up towards his dragon, she hoped that it was a quality her Blue would possess.

It was time to find out; with her heart racing, she followed her father up to the geyser. The water bubbled and steamed within the rim, overflowing with a sizzling hiss every once in a while. Careful not to get so close that splashes would scald her, Seren turned the blue, ice-glazed seashell between her fingers once. Then flicked it with a thumb into the boiling stone cauldron, and waited with baited breath for what would come next.

Quest from Safrin to find a blue dragon:
1. in your footprints - finding a blue seashell
2. brand new start - letting Sugar ice-breath it
3. knowing me, knowing you - tossing the shell into geyser at Rainbow road and wait
Seren