Spooky Arts and Crafts
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
I have never feared the storm
Spin-off thread of {Mini Event} NO ASCENDED ALLOWED D:< so as not to spam the ME.

Returning to the food with Seren in tow, Sah filled another plate with pastries and meat. Lilly pawed at his leg and so with a resigned sigh, he grabbed a second plate of meat for her. Turning to Seren, he repeated his earlier questions.  "So what are the lanterns for? And the dolls? I'm guessing given that this is Ludo's party it has something to do with honoring the dead?"

Perhaps a memorial type festival? Were the dolls supposed to represent those who had passed? Because that was just eerie. Lanterns were a much less creepy medium to represent someone with. Though he doubted that both the lanterns and dolls served the same purpose.r S
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
This is the long forgotten light at the end of the world
In the midst of a stolen mouthful of fried chicken, Seren chewed hurriedly and licked the grease from her fingers as she nodded.
"Mhm, yeah. The lanters are for remembering the dead. It's tradition to place a lantern on your doorstep when someone dies, so that Ludo can find them and guide their souls to Mort's halls. For the Festival of Lights, we craft them in remembrance, and in the hope that we might be given a chance to meet them again. The lantern that catches Ludo's eye might do just that, so everyone puts great care and effort into making them."

Balancing her overfilled tray between her hands, she followed her friend to a more secluded corner, where they could sit and eat and work on their projects without the press of other people. Seren felt a little bad to be ignoring both her family and other friends, but she told herself that she could meet them any old time she wanted. Sah was a rare treat, and she had every intention of enjoying this while it lasted.

"As for the dolls... those are for Ludo," she smiled. Leaning down to offer Lilly a pat on the head, Seren soon returned her gaze to Sah as she explained. "I think it gets lonely, to be honest. Who pays attention to death except to keep it at bay, to stave it off or bemoan its coming? This is Ludo's season, and this is our chance to approach Mort's Herald, not with fear or dread but playfullness and curiosity. That's my take on it, at least. I'm sure there might be more complex reasons behind it." Or it might be simpler than even that; maybe Ludo just liked dolls. Who knew, with the Heralds?

Pushing her mass of raven curls away from the face, Seren hummed contentedly as she sank her teeth into a pumpkin pasty. Was it vampire gourd? At this point, most of the foodstuffs around Caido contained the remnants of battles, one way or another.
"Have you had trouble with pumpkins, lately?" she asked, with her mouth full of food.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The story behind the lanterns was rather beautiful. "A guiding light to the afterlife, huh? That's poetic." Sah paused and eyed Seren in confusion. "What do you mean that it  might just do that?" Did Ludo bring people back to life for the festival or something? That sounded painful, being able to see someone again, but for only a night. Though Sah could see how it might provide closure for some.

Hearing that the dolls were for Ludo was a bit surprising. "The offerings for Ludo?" The demi-god's description of the herald and its dolls pulled at Sah's heart a bit. Even if it was just an idea and not the truth, it was still rather sad. Sah might try to make a doll just because of that.

The question about the pest of the season had Sah groaning and putting his forehead to the table. "Yes." He turned his head, resting his cheek on the table as he looked at Seren. "Everywhere I go. Literally everywhere, fucking pumpkins trying to bite me. I've smashed so many of them that I'm shocked I'm not stained orange at this point."

He reached for a pumpkin cookie and took a bite. "At least I get to eat the spoils of war." He winked playfully at Seren. "It might be a bit worrisome how gratifyingly I'm finding that."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The girl's responding smile was slow and soft, a little wistful. "The person whose lantern is chosen get to see a loved one again. Only for a moment... but wouldn't you give anything to say those last words, or to apologize, or... just see them again?" Could you miss someone you had never met? Did the spirits of those who passed away hear the whispers of their living loved ones in the depths of the night? Maybe, maybe. Maybe not. Perhaps this year, she could finally gaze into her sister's eyes and tell her how much love she held for a child lost too soon.

Seeing Sah's reaction to the mere mention of gourds broke the seriousness of the topic, and Seren laughed. She poked a finger into his cheek with a playful grin.
"Deimos told me you have an oven. Does that mean you are now very good at making food? Please tell me you are. Because I can't cook to save my life, and I have run out of vendors that will accept my smashed gourds." Everyone had pumpkin up over their ears.

"Imagine if we couldn't eat them... We'd be drowning in the things. The sky would be black with the smoke from all those pyres." The conjured image made her shudder, and Seren bit down on her treat with more ferocity. Take that, gourds.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
To see them again? Sah's mind flashed through numerous faces. His mom, his Goddess, his best friend, his twins. He'd give anything to see them again. No matter the cost. To hug them and get closure. To make sure that they were all together in the afterlife. Sah doubted that Ludo could pull souls from another world though, and the Outlander didn't dare ask, not wanting to get his hopes up. But that thought made his stomach drop. He was in Caido now. When he died, would he even see them again? Sah stopped that train of thought immediately. Thinking about it would drive him insane.

Instead he focused on the horrors of biting pumpkins, a small smile appearing when Seren poked him. "Me, good?" He snickered. "I asked him to help me decorate my house because it was empty. He made me an oven instead because neithe rof us can decorate and I mentioned that I wanted a steady supply of cookies." The image of Seren running around and trying to sell gourd corpses made him snicker once more. "I'm not great, but I can at least bake edible things. Feel free to use my oven."

Sah was left gaping at Seren's imagination. That was quite a description and Sah only just barely managed to restrain a flinch. Sky turned back with flames, fuck he could vividly recall that. And nope again, stopping those thoughts.  The Outlander reached for another cookie. He was determined to drown his grief in sweets.

Catching on to her bonded's suppressed emotions, Lilly trotted over to his side and leaned in for a cuddle. Giving a small smile, Sah reached down and began to stroke her fur. Feeling some of the clouds begin to fade, the pup wagged.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Oblivious to the damage she was doing by thoughtless words, Seren kept dreaming about freshly baked cookies, all while stuffing her face. She was hungry, and the feast Ludo had conjured up was the stuff of dreams.
"I will absolutely take you up on that," she hummed, pleased with the invite. "All I really know how to make is pancakes. Can you believe that my dad, the biggest eater on the continent, is almost useless in a kitchen? It's a wonder I didn't turn out looking like a pancake."

She blew up her cheeks into round balls and stared wildly at Sah, hoping that the funny face might draw another laugh from him. But he seemed more intent on Lilly, who seemed to be begging for treats again, and the girl quite literally deflated a bit.

"Anyway," she said, setting her plate aside. "I can show you how to make a lantern, if you like? It's fun, and releasing them is very pretty." She made a move to get up, intent on fetching materials from the tables for their craft.
Seren
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
The imagery of Ronin as a pancake was amusing an had Sah's lips twitching. "I'll have to admit, I have no idea what a pancake is. Is it not a cake you make in a pan?" He'd been discovering sweets since coming to Caido, and he'd heard the term before. But Sah had never actually asked what a pancake was.

Giving Lilly a kiss in-between her ears in thanks, Sah turned back to Seren. "That sounds good. I was looking at it earlier and..." He shrugged. "It looks complicated, I didn't even know where to start." He stood up as well and helped the demi-god gather all the supplies that they'd need. Lilly stuck to his side, wanting to be a part of the action. But Sah could also feel the slight pangs of protectiveness and concern still coming in through their bond. He felt a rush of affection for his little pup and sent a wave of affection and reassurance her way.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren stumbled over her own feet and nearly fell on her face at the admission. Red in the face at her own clumsiness but also deeply shocked, the girl hurried to catch up with Sah and stared at him with poorly masked incredulity. "You... don't know what a pancake is? That's... that's horrible. It's a crime, it's neglect. The moment I get a chance, I'm making you one, I promise." She nearly got tears in her eyes, so deeply upsetting was this. "Imagine the most perfect blend of savory and sweet. Imagine bread married to cake, with butter and syrup on top. Imagine adding bacon, or berries, or anything you can imagine. For breakfast, or lunch, or dinner. Or why not all three. It can be dessert too. It is the ultimate food, Sah. Pancakes might even be the only foodstuff worth making." Or maybe she just thought that because it was the only thing she did not automatically burn.

Returning to their table with an armful of paper, wire, paint and glitter and glue, scissors and something to write and draw on, Seren made herself comfortable. First off, she drew a diagram for Sah, so he could see what they would be using and why.
"So, you can make your lantern in pretty much any way you want. The main point is that it should hold a candle, or some other light source. I made a wired one last time; for that you twist these wires into a shape you like, and a loop here at the top so you can insert the candle on a holder, and then you glue thin paper around it to catch the light. And that paper can be painted if you want, or cut shapes into - it's all about imagination."

With quick, deft hands Seren twisted a length of wire into a simple spiral, secured it at the top and bottom, and demonstrated how to glue paper around the circumpherence. Summoning a flutter of butterflies that gleamed softly of starlight, she ushered them into the center of the sphere; a shimmering full moon of a lantern lit up between her hands, and she held it out for Sah to inspect.
"You can make it as easy or as complicated as you like," she assured him with a warm smile.
Seren
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Seren's reaction had Sah cackling. "I've only been in Caido a year Seren, I haven't had the chance to try everything yet. It's not neglect." Her description however of the food intrigued him and he paused, mind whirling. "You can do all of that with a pancake?" He was rather amazed, it did sound like an incredible food. "I'll hold you to that promise. And they better be as good as you say." Sah  nudged her shoulder with his, a playful grin in place.

The Outlander watched with intrigue as Seren made a lantern before his eyes. The twisting wire, the paper, and of course the light. Seeing her use her own magic to light the lantern made him raise a brow. "If I did that with my magic, I think it'd catch fire." He mused. "I think I'll stick with a candle."

Taking inspiration, Sah began to twist wire into a rather basic cylindrical shape. He figured if he gave it a simple but solid  base, he could focus more on the paper for the design. And not have to worry about the actual structure failing.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"Oh, trust me. They will be good," she assured with surpreme - and slightly smug - confidence. Seren had confidence in her pancakes. "And it is neglect. At least Deimos should have taught you about pancakes right from the start. It's a... a duty." One she clearly would have to take up the responsibility for.

Leaning back, she watched for a while as Sah began to work on his lantern, and offered some pointers and advice when needed. But eventually she reached for the tools herself, meaning to begin the makings of something else. Something new, and better that her sister might like. Long moments passed by... but her hands remained still and unmoving, and a soft frown slowly dragged her dark brows down into a brooding expression worthy of Ronin.

"I don't know what to make," she soon admitted. "I don't... actually know what Aoife would enjoy." Stars or flowers, dragons or unicorns? Or were all of those just her own fancies - there was no way for Seren to know.
Seren
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Seren's continued insistence of the wonders of pancakes had Sah suppressing further laugher. He hadn't expected her to be so passionate about the food. He was looking forward to trying it eventually, hopefully soon.

Puzzling over his lantern, Sah noticed that Seren was struggling. Her admission had him turning to her with sympathetic eyes. "Is there anything that you know about her? Personal facts like hobbies or maybe a favorite book or color? Did Ronin ever mention any of those?" The Outlander imagined that if the Star had told Seren of her sister, he'd have told her some personal details. Fond things he looked back on when he recalled Aoife.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Pondering the question, Seren slowly shook her head. "They don't... usually talk about her," she replied. "She was barely two when she passed, so there was never time for books or favorite things. I... I think Remi said she liked the color red? And maybe..." Had it been flowers, or stars? She couldn't remember. A soft sigh slipped past her lips.

"Do you ever miss things you've never had?" Seren glanced sideways at her friend. Perhaps he had lost enough real things that the 'what if's' didn't hold any sway anymore. She wanted to ask... but fear of hurting him stilled the question on her tongue.
Seren
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah's eyes softened with sympathy. He hadn't processed the timeline Seren had previously given, that Aoife was only two when they lost her. But a color was a start at least. The Abandoned gently nudged Seren's shoulder in support. "So it'll be a red lantern." Then an idea came to him. "How about you design it with all of the things she missed out on? The things you wished for her? Sort of like, giving her the chance by making the lantern for her? If they really do receive them, then she can experience them that way?" It was a bittersweet idea, but given the circumstances, it was the best that he could come up with.

Seren's question caused a pang off grief to fill Sah. His eyes met his friend's,  haunted. "Yes." He'd lost plenty of real things for sure. But the Outlander had also lost his world, and with it,  an entire possible future. One that he'd spent his entire life working towards. Ambitions, hopes, dreams, wishes. All gone in an instant.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
It was a simple thing, the nudge of his shoulder into hers. But like always, touch seemed to drain away a little of the dark clouds that threatened to cloud her skies. Whether Sah absorbed them into himself or merely chased hers away for a time she did not know, but Seren was selfishly glad for it all the same. For the sympathy he always seemed to have available, no matter how ill timed her questions or curiosities were.

Fingering the different colored papers and strings available, the girl slumped in against the young hunter's side, and leaned her cheek against his shoulder. Because the warmth of him felt nice - that's all. Nights were becoming chilly, and the sun was setting swiftly.
"Maybe I'll make a white one," she countered, mulling over his train of thought and expanding upon it. "A blank slate, for all the things we never had a chance to do together." It was a little sullen and loney, but Seren would like to think of it as hopeful, too. That they might one day be able to get that time... if not in this life, then in the next.

Meeting Sah's gaze, she felt a tug of guilt. Of course he missed things. Once again her own inexperience came back to bite her. The shadows behind the amber in his eyes spoke of pain and sorrow she could not even imagine, and they made him seem so much older than his years, in her eyes. Wise and full of hidden depths - almost like the sea. Or perhaps a sunset after a storm, golden and fiery.

"Do you... want to talk about it?" A soft question, perhaps a little tentative. Unsure if she entirely knew what she was askind for... but willing to listen to anything he might decide to offer.
Seren