Not exactly the welcome wagon
Hello, Finn!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 52 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
There had been an influx of people returning to Halo in the wake of Morgan's passing, and Tal found himself running the length and breadth of the Citadel delivering messages, packages, parcels, and receipts between old residents and new.

Some of those messages even needing delivering within the Palace, and Tal scowled in discomfort as he trudged back from the room of the woman he'd handed a package to. Not even a word of thanks! She'd sent him on his way like the errand boy Sah teased him about being, and Tal's pride prickled at the disrespect.

Dragon and hound waited for him outside the Palace gates as they usually did when he had indoor business, and he was looking forward to joining them. He was looking forward to it so much that he didn't pay attention to where he was going, or who else might be in the hall with him as he trotted along, potentially inviting disaster in his distraction.

Finn
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
finn
it always feels more quiet in the dark
Ding dong disaster, coming right up.

Finn has been scoping out the Citadel in his own time and at his own pace, when he isn't trying to acclimatise to the place with his little family. Today's endeavours have brought him here to the Palace, though unlike Tal, he has been caught by a particularly stunning bit of architecture along the ceiling.

He knows that the construction of the Palace is goddess-given, but all the same, he can't help but imagine the effort that would go into such a thing, if it were moulded and crafted by human hands. Such is his distraction that, naturally, he has stopped in the middle of the corridor, and is a perfect target for a not-messenger-boy in a hurry.

Stumbling as Tal walks into him, it's luck more than anything that keeps him from tumbling onto his backside, and stormy eyes grow wide with shock as he reaches out to brace against the wall and keep balanced. "Pardon me," he says, never one to shy from taking the blame. "I wasn't paying attention. Are you alright?"
it always feels so stark
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Tal's head was down as he grumbled silently to himself, and he didn't look up until it was already too late to stop his momentum from carrying him into the other man.

And bouncing off him, though the skinny young man tended to bounce off most people with even a few muscles to their names.

"Shit, sorry, I--" Tal started to apologize at the same time, catching his balance reaching up to rub the back of his neck awkwardly. "I'm fine. Uh. What about you?" He eyed the man warily from the corner of his gaze, frowning as he realized it was another unfamiliar face. "Don't think I've seen you around before..."
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
finn
They stumble over each other in their apologies, and Finn promptly stops himself from cutting the other man off further as he straightens up from the wall, absently adjusting the scarf knotted around his neck. "I am alright, thank you," he confirms with a soft nod, stepping to the side so the stranger might pass on his way. Surprised by the continued conversation (when isn't he), the ex-Spyglass awkwardly clears his throat.

"I have not been in Halo for very long," he explains. "I came to admire the Palace. I am from Stormbreak, and our own Tower has recently fallen. I suppose I am looking for something familiar."
it always feels so stark
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal had places to go (outside) and things to do (pet his dogs) but he wasn't in so much of a hurry that he couldn't stand in shock for a few long moments at the news that the stranger delivered. Whatever else he might have said was lost as he tried to imagine the Palace falling down, and what that would mean to the people of Halo...

"Fuck," he said succinctly.

And then, a moment later: "I'm uh... sorry to hear that." He reached up automatically to rub at the back of his neck awkwardly, scowling at a nearby tapestry as he tried to process the information. "Was it... was it an accident?" He sounded a little dubious about his own question, if the Stormbreak tower was anything like the massive solidity of the Palace. Still, assume the worst but hope for the best, kid.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"Yes," Finn agrees with the stranger's appraisal of the situation. He tucks his hands into the pockets of his coat, finding his fingers cold more often than not, even inside. It's an adjustment, one that will take a little while, but he has to admit to finding comfort in Halo all the same. "It wasn't your fault," he points out when the other man apologises, awkward as usual in his social back and forth.

Was it an accident, though? Finn shakes his head. "Two Ascended and two of the Voice's demigods attacked the tower and burned it down," he says quietly. "Many people died, and there is a lot of rebuilding to do. My family and I decided it would be better to move away from Stormbreak for a little while." Whether they decide to go back is a matter for another day.
it always feels so stark
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"That wasn't why I--" Tal began, nose starting to wrinkle in annoyance as his attempt at empathy was met by someone just as awkward as he was. He remembered a second too late that the stranger had just lost his home, and snapped his jaw shut with an almost audible click.

Dogs were so much easier to talk to.

They didn't usually come bearing such terrible news, either, and Tal could only stand and swallow hard at the wanton destruction the stranger's words revealed. "But... why?" He looked at Finn, confused and a little lost at the revelation of this tragedy in a faraway land. "I mean, I get moving after all that but... why'd they do it?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
Finn almost starts saying oh, starts apologising as well, but that is sure to only set off a chain of apologetic back and forth that will serve neither of them, so he (wisely) stays silent. He doesn't realise that he's started to chew the inside of his cheek until the stranger speaks again, and when he does, the ex-Spyglass gives a smile that is half guilty, half uncertain.

"We are at war, I suppose. I'm not sure whether it is all out war yet, but conflicts are certainly growing more volatile. I did not expect them to target innocent civilians in such numbers, though." And then, as if suddenly realising a breach of etiquette, Finn flushes and gives an apologetic smile. "But I suppose that is a bit much for first introductions. I am Finn, by the way."

He pulls a hand out of his pocket and holds it out to shake.
it always feels so stark
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Huh. Guess Sah mentioned something about that..." Tal scowled as his mind drifted back to that conversation, and he shook his head abruptly, as if to shake the war away from Halo. "Damn. I kinda hoped..." That Sah had been wrong, he didn't finish, sighing as he let his hand fall from his neck.

Pale eyes blinked at the blush and the smile, realizing only belatedly that he'd forgotten to introduce himself.

Again.

"Ah, hi, Finn. I'm Tal. Tal Seawright," he reached out to take Finn's hand and gave it a single firm shake, frowning at himself for his usual breach of manners. "Are you stayin' in the Palace right now?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
Finn tilts his head at that, assuming Sah to be a name rather than a place or an item, but not knowing the person either way, and he's far too awkward to ask probing questions about things that are none of his business. (And it's not his job any more and he doesn't have to, so ha). "Hoped for peace?" he asks, unable not to finish that particuar sentence, and it's with a sad sort of smile that he lifts stormy eyes towards the stranger's face. "Me too," he admits.

Their introduction is as quick and painless as Finn might hope, and he lets his hand slip back into his pocket once he's delivered his handshake. "Good to meet you," he says. "My family and I have a room at the Kraai at the moment. I am trying to keep out of politics for the time being. I was here to look at the architecture, that is all..."
it always feels so stark
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
"Peace? Ehhh..." Tal shrugged, his scowl tugging at the corners of his mouth again as he looked uncomfortably away from Finn's gaze. "I'm not that naive." Mostly. Sometimes. "I know a lotta people are riled up. But I was hoping, at least not... not open war, you know?"

He retrieved his hand as quickly as Finn and let it fall back to his side where his fingers resumed their anxious drumming against his thigh. "The Kraai's alright," Tal acceded grudgingly. "There's better beer at The Blind Ursur. But I guess if you got a family..." His frown faded a little further. "So uh... is it similar to your tower?" The question was awkwardly thrown out as Tal looked up at a curving stone support for an excuse to not meet Finn's eyes.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
It will not be difficult for Tal to avoid Finn's gaze; both awkward men, the ex-Spyglass is already finding an excuse to look at something else, now that the initial introduction is finished. "I am not naive," he says softly, "just tired. Sometimes hoping for peace is the only thing that gives me energy." It's a quiet admission, one that comes under his breath, and he's more than happy to change the subject to architecture.

"No, they are very different," he says. "This is beautiful, but for beauty's sake. The Tower was built with functionality in mind. Our architect was... she was very talented. She died when it fell." And gods, if that doesn't make him feel strange.
it always feels so stark
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Change author:
Tal didn't know what to say to the hope for peace, so he just nodded noncommittally and rocked back on his heels, eyes on the walls that he'd never paid much attention to before. They were just there, a background part of his life like the snow and the sky: the walls of the Palace, sturdy and steadfast and not particularly welcoming to a 20-something young man who would rather be outdoors most of the year.

"Oh, uh... s-sor--" he bit off the apology in an aborted stammer, remembering what had happened last time, and cleared his throat uncomfortably. "Um. So. Was the tower built kinda recently?" Yup, those sure were some curvy stone supports up on the ceiling as he kept his gaze aimed in a safely non-human direction. Very structural. Definitely architecture. "The Palace has been here for uh... a few years. Five or six, maybe? Since Lady Winter made it." His scowl threatened to return, tugging on the corners of his mouth as he glared at the flying buttress.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
finn
"Hm?" Finn continues to blink up at the ceiling curving overhead, smiling a bit, but it fades as he tracks a prominent crack in the ice down the nearest wall. "Oh, no. The Tower has stood for over three hundred years at the heart of Stormbreak. Or... had stood, I ought to say. A lot of history fell with it that night." And that belated realisation causes his heart to sink more than expected.

"Lady Winter?" he echoes. "Do you speak of the Eirachi? I read about the Palace's construction, when an Outlander Warden took control. Have you ever met with her?" His curiosity is piqued, not that Finn particularly wants to run into her himself. Or any other god, at any point. Bit difficult with the whole Accepted thing, really.
it always feels so stark