Plot Advancing PQ Dionysian remains

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
There are times when the unseen can be even more dangerous than what our eyes behold
Bastien had been gobbled by a landshark. He wasn't the first to meet such a fate and wouldn't be the last. Unlike the others, he had a friend willing to brave his own life to try and bring back the Dionysian's body. Or...kill the beast who took him.

Having put up a notice on the Notice Board in the Hollowed Grounds, word would have sufficiently spread of the former-dwarf's expedition. (Read: your character can know about it). So, waiting until the sun had dipped low enough that any ascended who wanted to join wouldn't be hindered by its rays, the adventure would begin.

This PQ+ is to try and recover Bastien's body and/or kill the landshark who took him!

In order to keep the difficulty from getting too high, levels 3 or below are welcome. (Speak to an admin if you are above and would like to join). Please post your character arriving and any items that they are bringing with them which aren't listed on their profile.

1.Darkeye

Remember to include a summary at the bottom of your post with all action taken. If weapons/upgrades/abilities/items/shifts/etc are used, please include their desc. from your profile at the bottom of your post as well. If you don't do this, they won't be taken into account!
Random Event
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 19 - Int: 0
Mahariel - Regular - Black Panther
Played by: Lostdream Offline
Change author:
MP: 515
Darkeye
Nine strikes
Darkeye checked everything again. Lantern, lamp oil and rope, throwing hoes and nets he had prepared the last few days, nets made of iron rings to stop a shark. His throwing axes, 3 in number, were placed over his leather armor. An ax to his left with a long nose. On the right, the dagger is made of a dragon's tooth. Hanging left or right on his belt. A wooden sword hung further forward not sure if it was just an ornament or you could really do something with it. Two daggers were still hidden below his cloth for emergency... Dan was still the spear he had worked on this slightly reddish metal shimmered like blood in the evening sun. Darkeye had eaten and drunk today still plentifully like also much slept. Most of the day he had slept and spent the rest of the day in the dark at the forge before he left to begin his hunt. He was apparently the first one here. If necessary he would hunt alone. "For you Bastien..." he said quietly.

Darkeye is armed to the teeth and has made three nets of iron rings,
each for one sin
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Ophelia
we're just two ghosts
swimming in a glass half empty
Useless, they’d said to Amun, only to have the notion refuted. It seems they can finally do something in the wake of all their loss though, and so Ophelia arrived bright and early dark and late at the designated time the Notice Board had informed of. Aside from their newest upgrade, they only have the scythe they’d trained with Wessex with. It’s strapped to their back for the moment, long blade out past their right shoulder.

Darkeye is an unfamiliar face, but if he had the empathy to instigate such a rescue attempt he is good in their books, so Ophelia approaches without hesitation. “Hello there. I’m Ophelia. Thank you for planning this.” they smile their dreamlike smile and await instructions and direction.

- - -

Ophelia brings a scythe and nothing more!
trying vainly to forget
the pain that came with heartbeats
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 2 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
Azrael
i wouldn't know where to start
'sweet music' playing 'in the dark'
It has taken them a while to get out of their childhood home once the realization hit. The mixture of emotions that they feel is something that Azrael’s never been experienced with. And the one person that they might have asked how to handle and manage it? Well, he was gone. He hadn’t come home, hadn’t checked, and Azrael had been far too busy working on their little designs and attempts at readjusting the Ruins into something of both of their dreams to even notice.

Until they did. Until everything had changed.

Discomfort has become an old friend in the recent weeks, paths taken that are more familiar than they have any actual meaning, when the Notice Board post draws them to this expedition. A chance to find their father, to maybe get his body back, and to maybe. Just maybe, have some attempt at finding consolation.

They’ve never met Darkeye, but their father had mentioned the man in passing before his departure, and Ophelia is a familiar enough face that Azrael arrives, a little backpack on their back, downcast eyes as they focus on Darkeye and offer a quiet little shuffle of their feet. “Hi.” They begin, their voice relatively muted. “I’m Azrael. Bastien was my… Papa.” They shuffle their feet again before their shoulders draw a bit tighter, keeping themself a bit more closed off, before drawing up taller. Because there’s a mission to be accomplished, one that perhaps benefited them the most.

Azrael arrives with a bag on their back full of tools and metal to help should they need to craft anything, as well as the following:

Type: Grey | Style: Defensive | Level: Basic
Monster Repellant | Will make the air hostile to the senses of any predatory monster-like creatures. Sufficient strength and mental fortification can overcome the effects of the spray. Works in a 30ft radius.
be still 'my foolish heart'
don't ruin this on me
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai hadn't known Bastian well, but he was family. And although the younger Ascended hadn't been powerful enough to join the fight against Stormbreak, eh was certainly powerful enough to fight a monster. At least, he hopes so. Knowing that he's a little late, Nikolai sprints to the rendezvous point and skids to a halt as he does so.

He recognizes all but Darkeye as he nods to the others. "Sorry I'm late." Nikolai turns to Az and his heart cracks. "I'm so sorry, Az." He rubs the back of his neck nervously, "If you need anything. Today or later. Don't hesitate, ok?" He's not great with emotional stuff, but if the young Demi-god needs him, Nikolai will be there.

The Ascended hopes this mission will be a success. Not just for revenge and closure. But so that these creatures don't get the chance to take any other members of their family.

Nikolai arrives! (Sorry I'm late). He's bringing everything in his profile and a bow w/ a quiver of 20 arrows.
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
There are times when the unseen can be even more dangerous than what our eyes behold
Well, this should be fun, mmmm?

First thing's first...where do we think we should start looking? The Outskirts are a vast, vast area. No one has brought any bait, so just how are we planning on luring a landshark out of the ground? Stomping our feet? Throwing stones? Singing a song?

Your randomly assigned order is Azrael, Darkeye, Ophelia, Nikolai. Please reply within 48 hours.

Remember to include a summary at the bottom of your post with all action taken. If weapons/upgrades/abilities/items/shifts/etc are used, please include their desc. from your profile at the bottom of your post as well. If you don't do this, they won't be taken into account!
Random Event
Azrael De Rosieres

Age: 21 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Azrael
Nikolai’s words have them turning to him, their gaze focusing on the other Ascended as they nod, unsure what to really say back except for a quiet “thank you.” They couldn’t say it was alright or that they were okay, having not quite gotten to the point of being okay with lying. So instead, they say basically nothing at all, assess the situation at hand, and just how they planned on getting the Landshark.

There used to be a tree that he visited around here. One that he’d gone to a few times with my mother.” They announce, casting a weary glance around to their fellow participants. And just like that, they pick the path toward a tree they knew quite intimately, trying to mimic what they think their father had done the night he was murdered.

Azrael picks a path toward a tree that’s a bit standalone toward the direction of the fields, suggesting they traverse that way to try and mimic where Bastien may have gone that night!
don't ruin this on me
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Age: 156 | Height: 160 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Darkeye
Nine strikes
Darkeye greeted each one individually and tried to assess them where they could be used. He ran to each one to greet them with a handshake." Thank you for coming. I'm Darkeye. What do you know about land sharks that could help us in this situation?"

Darkeye took his things and followed Azrael, nodding to him. Walking briskly without hesitation he began to speak to everyone. "I hope we can find Bastien's body. Unfortunately, I think our chances are slim. I didn't have time to catch any bait. I was told that deer are good bait. Maybe we can catch some of them alive on the way. Otherwise, I have these metal nets that we can stand on and use lances or spears to fight off any land sharks that jump in. The important thing for me here is to make this area safe so that this doesn't happen again. I am open to ideas." He wanted to explain his plan openly and hoped that the others also had their ideas and was very happy about Azrael's idea. Darkeye tries to look at the area very closely while walking and to watch for tremors.

Darkeye follows Azrael and explains his plan and what he heard from Deimos about land sharks. But asks his companions for ideas. While he is very attentive to the surroundings
each for one sin
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Age: 29 | Height: 5'3 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Ophelia
we're just two ghosts
Food is understandably forgotten considering none of them eat, but Darkeye’s proposal is promising. Ophelia lays a hand on Azrael’s shoulder in silent comfort as they pass by them, wishing they had more to say. They had too greatly celebrated the passing of their own father to understand, but they grieve because Az does, and that’s all they need.

“A fresh kill may attract them more efficiently,” they note with a dreamlike cheer to their voice. “The smell of blood may summon them, I don’t believe they are fully scavengers.” Who knows though? “I can exude a poisonous gas - Darkeye if you stay farther away when I do, the landsharks may emerge straight into it if we kill something in the same area.” A preemptive blow, which is all Ophelia is capable of providing. At the cost of somewhat splitting their group to protect the one human in their midst.

- - -

Ophelia proposes an idea while walking along but does little else.
trying vainly to forget
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai nodded in agreement, "A fresh kill seems like a good idea." Although the concept did make him feel squeamish. He really didn't want to have to hurt a deer. Hurting wildlife in general didn't appeal to him. But if it was a necessary sacrifice to get rid of the land sharks, so be it.

"I have a few range-based weapon upgrades. I can attack the shark from a distance if need be. I think we should follow the path Bastien took and try and catch bait along the way." That was a decent meld of their ideas, right? Nikolai wasn't really used to this whole teamwork thing. And he'd never gone on a mission like this either. The Ascended would be lying to himself if he said he wasn't nervous.

~
Nikolai mentions his ranged weapon upgrades and agrees that they should follow the path Bastien took while hunting for bait.

The world is new to you, and you to it. During PQ/PQ+/KQs/Drops, you roll with advantage on luck-based rolls and receive an extra name during drops. (In order to use this, make sure to note the ability at the bottom of each post)
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows

Change author:
It seems like a good plan I suppose. If a landshark was once attracted to a certain area, there's no reason to think it won't be attracted there again. On the other hand...there's no reason to suppose that this is where Bastien actually was. But never mind that now.

Through the grasses you move, some quieter than others. The sun has now nearly sunk all the way beneath the horizon leaving Darkeye at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to the others.

Nearing the tree, well...nothing happens. Or perhaps I should say that nothing happens yet? Are you in the wrong place? Do you need to give things more time? Should you abandon the tree plan and opt instead for one proposed by one of the members of the group? It's impossible to know, and yet fully up to you.

Your randomly assigned order is Azrael, Darkeye, Ophelia, Nikolai. Please reply within 48 hours.

Random Event
Azrael De Rosieres

Change author:
Azrael
Truthfully, the young demigod knows next to nothing about Landsharks aside from what they’ve read in the books in the Atheneum. The subject of which mentioning that the landsharks tend to arrive to snatch livestock and sometimes people before departing back underground. Perhaps it’s more of an underground adventure they need to partake in, though Azrael isn’t entirely too sure on how to go about it.

So instead, the mention of deer is a good idea, or perhaps sacrificing a farmer’s cow for the opportunity to strike again the landshark – and how are they to know it would be the correct one? They can’t help the defeat that strains on their shoulders, reaching the tree and letting their gaze dance along the branches before returning to the group, unsure about where to go from here but deciding to speak aloud regardless.

I don’t have much in the ways of weapons… I’m more of a builder, myself. Though I imagine if it is the rumble… The movement of something large that might attract it?” They ask, frowning as they turn to the group. “Do any of you have a shift? Or… Something big?”  

Azrael asks the group if they have any shifts or anything big that might attract the landsharks!
don't ruin this on me
Darkeye Dwartonarm
Cleric / Blacksmith

Change author:
Darkeye
Nine strikes
Darkeye has a hard time recognizing anything after the sun has set. But this is the time when deer come out of the forest to eat saplings and grass. "We need long plants, Azrael, make as many as you can. The poison is not a good option in my eyes, we should only resort to it when it becomes necessary. I don't want any of you to be the bait here, either. Please keep in mind what I said at the beginning, the chances are slim, but we'll try anyway. Turn on the lights, and set up the flares. Who can make bells the size of a fingertip? We can then use these to ram poles into the ground and hang them on them so we should be able to hear when something is approaching. I have some tiger blood with me but I don't know if it will attract them. I just don't know if they'll react to something like that." (https://cotf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=6755&page=2) Darkeye spreads his net on the ground to be safer from the ground. He also hopes that if they find something to hunt. He didn't want to deprive his farmers of the livelihood of a cow. He wanted to make it dangerous for Kor. He looked around to see if there were any signs of a fight or tracks.

Darkeye shares his plans and responds to the arguments of the group. Then he looks for signs of a fight or tracks.
each for one sin
Ophelia Athanasia
Emissary

Change author:
Ophelia
we're just two ghosts
Darkeye disapproves without further reasoning and Ophelia shrugs mildly and continues walking. They’re not the tactician here, they’re only her to support Azrael and return the body of their brother in arms. In everything else they are happy to follow along. They stare off distantly, swaying in place, silent as they have no shifts or other abilities to offer.

“I can spread the blood while the beams are placed,” they offer mildly after Darkeye speaks, shuffling their feet across the earth in idle, passive hopes of creating more sound to resonate beneath the surface.

- - -

Ophelia adopts a more shuffling walk to try and increase sound beneath the dirt as they walk, and offers to spread the tiger blood.
trying vainly to forget