Site Wide Event Festival of Lights
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
No better version of me I could pretend to be tonight
With Pip on his shoulder and a sword at his side, the young man cuts a striking picture, made even more notable by the uncharacteristic severity of his expression. Indeed, he does not even smile as he greets those he knows, nodding to Mateo and Everest as he passes them by on his way to the slightly less crowded shore. Flora is there, resplendent as ever, and though Koa does give her an appreciative glance, he can't bring himself to make any sort of flirtatious quips tonight.

Tonight belongs to his grief.

Koa is dressed in Dragoon fatigues - not because he's on duty, but because it seems like the right thing to do. He's here for his mother after all, a decorated soldier and the reason why Koa has become the man he is. The glass-and-copper lantern that he carries with him sways in the breeze as he holds it aloft; from his shoulder, Pip sings forth a mote of flame, lighting tribute to a woman she will never know.

Together they place the light on a reed ship, watching in solemn contemplation as it drifts out to join its brethren. Again he glances at Flora, wishing he could say something through the grief that clogs his throat and leadens his tongue. If only his father could have come, or Noe was here, or Anju would appear. Despite his dedication to her honor, Koa feels himself a poor tribute to the mother in who's shadow he will always stand, carrying on a legacy he can't hope to fulfil.

Koa made a lantern for his mother in: (SE) never really had a way with words
Koa
Flora Kaito-Taliesin
the Doubletake
Owner of The Hanged Man / Queen of Torchline

Age: 21 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 32 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 34 - Int: 1
SPICE - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2759
Flora
Winding her arms around Mateo 's neck and whispering words of encouragement into the sweet-smelling cleft of skin between his shoulder and his ear, the girl hugs her brother tight before letting him go. "Love you." She whispers hastily before letting him slip away.

Taking a breath, Flora was not the sort of girl to ever feel alone even when she was apart from a crowd. Confidently she slipped her arms around herself as if to prove that she was fine, here on her own. Even so, this was not the normal context within which she could simply outshine any insecurities that she had, and as a shiver ran down her spine, she found herself gaze around. Looking around at all the sombre faces and feeling all the more alone for her dead twin, whether it was mere happenstance or fate that her gaze landed on Koa she hadn't the time to consider.

Looking as though she was floating rather than walking given the multitude of silken flowers on her gown, the Doubletake approached the soldier with a sweet and sad smile that looked weighty and misplaced on her lips. Wordlessly she held a hand out for him to take, and if he did, she'd fold herself neatly against his side.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 5337
relive who i've been at my worst,
every single night, looking for a distraction
He hasn’t had any need or want to return to the Grounds. Too close to too many memories that the idea of it was always one that made him anxious and antsy. At the very least, he doesn’t face the challenge of returning alone – one hand holding the lantern cleaned up and remade for Nate, while the other squeezes @Hotaru’s hand. It’s a comfort he hadn’t realized how much he’d need when facing the Grounds again. But it makes it manageable, even if he doesn’t take the time to look around as they arrive.

He does scan the participants, at least, spotting his niece and others he knows amongst the crowd.  A nod is given toward Isla should she look, as well as offering a little wave to Melita as well. Then, there’s a slight nudge he gives to Hotaru just to get her attention briefly with a soft smile. “Where to first?” He asks, finding a space to put Nate’s lantern down before lifting his steel gaze to focus on the Valkyrie, letting her decide who they should speak to first.

Sunjata has touched up his lantern for Nate in (SE) never really had a way with words
the flood
waiting for the sun to rise
pretty sight for some hollow eyes
totally sniped from odd ilu
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 49 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5720
The Hollowed Grounds, on the opposite side of the continent from Torchline, was not a place the mermanta had much reason to visit yet. Still, with last season's Blood Moon still fresh in his mind, he attended the Festival of Lights with all due caution for what strangeness might occur in the once-cursed land. The gods worked in mysterious ways, however, and the chance to see his loved ones one last time was worth the risk.

He Aquaported to the outer islands before swimming to the Black Lake where others had already gathered. The way was lit by floating lanterns - a touch he noted with quiet fascination - and when he reached the main gathering he loosed his own. The glass buoys floated, the glowing plankton in the Arclight water that half-filled them pulsing brighter with every bob upon the waves. Red glass with a manta ray in simple brushstrokes recalled the gentle hands and joyful good humor of his grandfather, while the blue lantern with its graceful seal glowed with the memory of his younger brother, both gone twenty years or more.

With the lanterns lit he moved towards the shore, nodding to those he recognized, and to Flora and Melita in particular.

Hadama made lanterns for his grandfather and brother in {SE} Passacaglia in sea minor
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 54 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Change author:
He didn't have anywhere near the trauma associated with the Hollowed Grounds that others did, but after the Blood Moon and the karaoke disaster Tal was a lot less eager to attend another festival there, or be around anyone who'd seen him sing. He'd left his skyboat at the Port and followed the line of others arriving for the same purpose as it snaked through the Inner Quarter and down the ladders into the depths, grimacing as stone walls closed around him - even if they were vast and far away.

His lantern of wood and paper wasn't really made for floating, so he hung it from iron hook that had been driven into the ground for that purpose and lit it with a punt. Boreal pressed close against his side, the big dragon uncharacteristically subdued in the solemnity of the night. Tal bowed his head in a prayer for his parents, silent for long moments before he finally sighed and raised his head, looking around and seeing people that he recognized and others that he didn't. Many had already formed little groups or pairs and the courier felt as awkwardly out-of-place as he'd feared.

Perhaps unexpectedly he ended up drifting to where Dantalion sat apart on the shore. He didn't say anything, just offered the Ancient a tired nod and settled nearby to lean against his companion. They joined the slender blond in looking out over the lights that floated on the lake, morosely trying to count how many lost souls were reflected in the inky waters.

Tal touched up his parents' lantern in {SE} The sound of letting go
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 53 - Luck: 49 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1725
Noah kept his eyes on his lanterns for a long while, and only let them scan to other lanterns and other patrons of the festival when Deimos approached him. He gave the Warden a solemn nod, his eyes heavy with the grief of the memories welled up within him from the nature of this time of year. May Ludo bring you one. Noah hoped in a whisper over the attuned bond, a statement and a prayer meant only for Deimos.

Fox approached then, and Noah offered him the same solemn nod. ”Thank you.” He said, his audible voice the same tone and pitch that his mental voice had been over the attuned bond to his brother. Over Fox’s shoulder, however, Noah witnessed something that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Sunjata, hand in hand, with Hotaru.

the sentinel of the north
i've never been the type to turn my back and run
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 34 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 74 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 74 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 6754
DEIMOS
It might’ve been a rarer occasion for someone to be empty-handed here, but upon Fox’s approach, perhaps it said more about the man than anything else. Regardless, Deimos left that introspection behind, instead nodding, the gratitude extended in an echo after the Sentinel’s. “Thank you.” Noah’s own statement left the smallest of smiles to curl in the corner of his mouth, eyes flickering down to the hoard of lanterns; but given the attempts, and how many were here wishing for the same thing, his hopes weren’t too high. More questions and quandaries might have been inspired for either the Ancient or demigod, had his eyes not settled immediately on Sunjata, and Ru, thereafter.

Recalling conversations with the Valkyrie not so long ago, and pondering why here would be an opportune time for their silent announcements, he mulishly narrowed his eyes glanced elsewhere. Then there was only the tightening of his jaw, and a long, slow sigh, perhaps half-hoping Ru would’ve figured out how to save herself by now.
i'm in the mood to dissolve in the sky
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 60 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 60 - Luck: 81 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601

I suppose it is, Ronin agrees with Remi, never having given it too much thought before. I guess times like this are what remind people that they're more similar than they like to think. A sentiment that belongs more in wartime than now, but still. Sighing to feel his husband's fingers splay out against his lower back, Ronin tilts his head to rest it against Remi's.

At least Ludo chose a pretty symbol for its festival, he adds, gesturing to the sea of floating lanterns, or those swaying in the breeze on their stalks nearby It's almost a shame it's such a solemn occasion. I'm glad I have you to make it all feel a little brighter.

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
the Maverick
Theocrat of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
I used to hold your haunted neck; I know I'll miss you if I close my eyes
Having been watching the lanterns with quiet, almost predatory fascination, Danta is rescued from his own urge to sink one of the little floating boats by the appearance of a familiar face - and a familiar dragon. "Grounds is getting popular these days," he drawls by way of conversation, leaning back on one hand.

"You know, I always wondered why they never bring food for this festival. It's not like the dead would want us to go hungry." At least, he doesn't think they would.Then again, they are dead, and if anyone understands the urge to be spiteful just cuz, it's Dantalion.
Dantalion
Horns: Diamond - they look very similar to #2 in this image.
Isla Lockwood
the Remedy
Medic

Age: 32 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 26 - Int:
Change author:
ISLA
physician, heal thyself
Isla does glance towards Sunjata, but honestly, given how tall he is, it's accidental more than anything. To see him with his hand in Hotaru's is both a surprise and not after her conversation with the other woman, and given that this is not the time or place for bright smiles and happy waves, she offers a gentle nod to them in return.

Having come full circle, the Ancient is rather happy in her own company for now, and so it's with a soft sigh that she gets move comfortable in her seat, crossing her legs and drawing her shawl a little closer around herself. A little music wouldn't go awry, she thinks, and the mere thought has a bittersweet smile curling across her lips. (You know, because of Varus).
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Change author:
Mateo
who are these people?
I just woke up in my underwear
Having whispered his fervent love yous back to Flora and retreated to stand with his friend, Mateo follows Everest to wherever he thinks would be suitable for hanging his grandfather's lantern. And to see Ever choose a spot by a cluster of Outlander lanterns does make him smile, the botanist waiting patiently before tilting his head to doublecheck his friend's skill. "It's perfect," he decides, using a taper from one of the nearby torches and handing it to the aviator to light the thing.

Once it's done and the lantern is flickering merrily amongst its comrades, Mateo ushers Ever towards the shoreline where he can watch the floating lights (and to surreptitiously keep an eye on his sister, just in case she starts to not be okay). "I don't really like this time of year," he confesses.
no liquor left on the shelf
I should probably introduce myself
Fox Sinclair
Monster Hunter

Age: 36 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Change author:
If Fox didn't know any better he would have sworn that his presence had inspired something sour in the other men, given their sudden reactions. But he notices - thank goodness - the way their gazes spear over his shoulder towards others gathered in the proceedings, and the Ancient does his best not to follow their lead. It's none of his business, and unless a banshee or some other monstrous creature has decided to interrupt the festival, it will stay that way.

"I hope Ludo can help you both find peace," he says instead with a brief nod, before making himself scarce to watch events unfold however they were going to. He's never heard of the deity choosing more than one lantern, but... well, there's a first time for everything.
fox
Horns: Small, bone-like protrusions (aka your stereotypical devil horns) that are easy to miss in his hair.
Koa Carpenter
Dragoon

Age: 22 | Height: 6 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 28 - Int:
PIPSQUEAK - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
No better version of me I could pretend to be tonight
Boy and beast watch as their lantern drifts further over the dark, still lake. In the absence of its immediate light Koa finds he feels dim, shadowed by a grief he's learned to keep at bay, but which now lurks at the edges of his vision, blurring his eyes and clenching his heart. Pipsqueak trills a subdued, sad hum, wrapping in close against his shoulder, clearly disquieted by the unfamiliar forlornness that permeates their bond. In all her merry youth she has never seen her human quite like this, mournful and proud in equal measures; it's complicated, because life is complicated, and the sweet little dragonling doesn't know how to make enough light to permeate the gloom.

But ah, light will find a way, especially when one is young. And tonight that light is Flora, resplendent and ethereal as she all but floats toward the soldier, her outstretched hand a beacon in the fog. Koa accepts it wordlessly, the barest hint of a smile softening his severe expression. He pulls her close against him, wrapping an arm around her slender form, warmth blooming where their bodies touch.
Koa
Talyson Seawright
the Messenger
Courier

Age: 27 | Height: 5'10" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 10 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 47 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 54 - Int: 1
BOREAL - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Change author:
Tal blinked, a little surprised at being spoken to, then shrugged his agreement at Dantalion 's observation. "Yeah... guess the gods are payin' more attention to it again?" Two seasons in a row, at least. Whether that was good or bad for the current residents was yet to be seen, of course.

The last time the gods had all converged in the Hollowed Grounds things hadn't really gone so great.

The non-sequitur caught Tal off guard and he wrinkled his nose. He opened his mouth to make a very good and rational point about... uh... well... hmm. His mouth slowly closed again before something could fly in it and his brow furrowed as he turned the Ancient's words around a few times. "Well... you're not wrong," he decided at last. "Maybe it's cuz bein' sad makes y'lose your appetite?" At least it always did for the (no longer quite so) scrawny courier.