See the candle in the window
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 49 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5695
It was only right and proper to give thanks for the honor and the gifts that Safrin had given him, at least in Hadama's emerald eyes. There was a certain pleasure to be had in making offerings that evoked the stars, and it appealed to the mischief usually hidden behind his serene outward appearance to mix certain more playful offerings in with the solemnly serious ones.

This evening, for instance, as the sunset faded from the sky he came to the shrine at the lighthouse a bowl of freshly-picked berries: blue and black, each perfectly ripe and bursting with flavor. Over them he had sprinkled a light dusting of sugar that sparkled like stars against the dark flesh of the fruit beneath. The treat was accompanied by a small bottle of light, sweet, intoxicating ice wine from Halo.

For Vi, of course, there was the more practical offering of a single candle, thick and strong, which Hadama lit to cast light over the altar as he bowed his head over it in prayer. The candle was large enough that it would burn all night, chasing back the darkness until the dawn came again.

After his respects were complete he rose and moved to the windows to look out over Torchline. Starfall crouched like a violet-limned tumor in the ocean to the south, but the lights of Haulani burned brightly in opposition to the southwest, slowly but surely recovering from the destruction that had doused far too many at the start of the year.

Seren
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Seren

A veil of starfilled night flowed over her limbs as Seren stepped through a fold in the fabric of reality. Light on her feet and quiet as a whisper, she carried a sculpture of a dancing woman in her hands. It was far from perfect. Some of the proportions were off, and the clay had not fired properly. A crack ran up the single leg that supported the entire figure, chipping away at the glaze so that she looked scarred and awkward. But there was something in the expression of it, the way the dancer held her head and spread her arms out, that made her mesmerizing despite - or perhaps because of - the flaws.

The starchild cast a cursory look around the room and jumped slightly when she realized she was not alone. Raven curls danced about her shoulders as she turned towards the man by the window, and blue eyes widened with rueful apology.
"Oh, I'm sorry!" she blurted, "I did not mean to disturb you." She clutched her offering to her chest, as though it was a doll that might bolster her courage. "I can come back later, if you wish - "

Coming and going as she pleased was a fundamental aspect of Safrin's daughter, after all. She would not mind.
I'm ready to start the conquest of spaces
Reaching the starlight and silver fields
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Movement in the room behind him caused the faintest stirring of the air and the ghost of a sound, alerting him to another presence. The voice called out - young and not-young, light in tone and apologetic - as Hadama turned to see who had joined him at the shrine. A stranger stood there, offering in hand, unknown to him and yet... there was something familiar in the shape of her nose and the curl of her hair.

"No," he rumbled, giving a single shake of his head. "Please. Stay. I was finished at the altar." He stepped away from the window, moving towards the stairs. His pace was slow, which was not unusual for the former-Mer, but he took care to avoid any motion that might further startle the nervous young lady. Still, as he reached the door he paused to look back at the young woman with a keen emerald gaze, tilting his head thoughtfully. "...Have we met...?"
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren

Smiling sweetly at the man, she did as he bid and remained within the round room. Walking past him on light feet that hardly seemed to touch the floor, a breath of night flowed in her wake as she knelt by the shrine and placed her sculpture upon the altar.

Not yet immersed in prayer, she looked up when the stranger spoke up from where he lingered in the doorway. Taking in his distinctive features of height and skin tone and the unusual coloration of his hair, the curve of her lips held a nope of apology as she replied.
"I'm not sure. We might have - would you offer me your name?" She had met many people, though not always at a time and age where she was recognizable. Growing up quickly had some drawbacks, and the endless stream of faces that came and went was hardly the least of them.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Unlike some demigods, Hadama bore no outward sign of his patron's favor, but as the young woman passed him he caught a sparkle of starlight that was unmistakable, even to her newest demigod. Emerald eyes widened only slightly before he found himself contemplating the dark-haired lady and her sculpture with new respect and curiosity.

"I am Hadama." He spoke quietly, though there was an undercurrent of pride in his voice as he added. "And I have also been called to Safrin's service." He placed his hand over his heart and offered her a small bow. Rising, he tilted his head to the side as he studied her more closely. "And you are...?" He had a guess, but the last he had heard of Safrin's daughter she had been a mere child, and that had been several years in the past.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Ah, but how could she not recognize the name of the King that ruled her mother's favored region? "The Tidebreaker!" she acknowledged and came to her feet only to bound over - lighter than even underwater physics should rightly account for, thanks to a habitual touch of gravitational manipulation - to stand right before the mer made man. "Of course, I should have guessed. It's so nice to finally meet you."

Unrestrained by such pesky things as propriety and personal space, the young woman offered both her hands for a proper greeting. "My name is Seren Taliesin. I'm sure you have met my father. And Mother, of course."

It should be no secret that she was Safrin's trueborn daughter, and she rarely if ever changed her way of addressing her parent and goddess; proud to be who she was, and rightly so.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He was used to being recognized; there was something to be said for being King, after all. It was rare that his name elicited such eagerness, however, and Hadama blinked in pleasant bemusement as the young woman bounded - bounced? - over to him. Courtesy was as ingrained in him as quiet, however, and he took her two hands in his without hesitation. Large and callused though they were, still his hands were gentle as he gave her a small bow of greeting.

"Indeed," he confirmed to knowing her parents, and though he was surprised at her age he kept his expression serene and a touch solemn. "It is an honor to meet you Seren, daughter of Safrin." Releasing her hands he nodded to the statue she had left at the altar. "Please, continue. But when you are done, may we speak?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"Of course. Why don't I meet you outside? I will not be long." Curious though she may be over what Hadama could want, she had come for a moment with her mother. Returning to the shrine, the starchild settled in to pray, and left the king waiting, free to do as he wished until she was done.

But as she had promised, it was sooner rather than later that she appeared by the base of the lighthouse. Foregoing the stairs in favour of her own ability, she appeared on the rocky cliffs and was immediately greeted by the deep rumbling call of her companion. Like a piece of night taken form, Umbra coasted down to circle overhead, diving low enough that Seren could brush his belly with her outstretched hand. As large as bonded dragons came, the draft of his passing ruffled hair and clothing alike and drew a fond smile to the young demigoddess's lips.

"This is Umbra," she introduced. "He can be a touch overprotective, but pay his grumbling no heed." Unless someone tried to lay a hand on her he would keep to the skies.
She tucked a tangle of dark hair behind an ear, and considered Hadama with bright interest. "How are you settling into your new role?"
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama inclined his head in silent agreement and then withdrew to give the young woman privacy for her prayers. He walked down the steps of the lighthouse, for though he could have teleported to its base he still needed the practice of stairs, which required a different sort of balance. At least it became easier each time, and it gave him time to think about who had just met.

He had gone to the edge of the island, letting his bare feet soak in the sea that washed upon the pebbly shore and looking up at the stars that now gleamed bright against the blackness, not even a hint of sunset remaining. The draconic rumble drew his attention swiftly, however, after the report of void dragons on Starfall.

The tension eased away as he saw that it was a companion to Safrin's daughter, and he offered Umbra a respectful nod as well before he answered. "Mmh. It is different." Leaving the water, he moved to stand near her so they could speak more comfortably. "Having legs more often than fins feels... strange. But the light..." He pressed a hand to his chest as his head lowered, eyes closing as his serene expression became even more peaceful. "It is both comfort and strength." A pause, and then he admitted. "Though I have much to learn about its use."

He raised his emerald eyes to meet Seren's, some of the peace fading once more to solemnity. "Have you returned to help against the void?"
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"It's a big change," she agreed. "I hope you don't feel pressured into leaving the water for the sake of others. It would be sad, when it is just as easy for others to come to you." Smiling up at the tall man, Seren's eyes were kind.

"In part, yes. I'll do what I can to help. Mostly I just want to be with my family. It's been years since I saw them." Cocking her head aside, her lips curled at the corners, a touch mischievous. "Is that disappointing to hear?" She was not returned like a hero of yore that came with solutions to all problems, alas. Her reason for leaving the stars was far more selfish than that.