A Drop in the Ocean
For Hadama!
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Dew Offline
Change author:
MP: 390
It's the Songs you sing and the Smiles you wear
The sunshine has softened with the ending season, casting a warm glow without its usual intensity. Colorful stones glitter along the bank, glistening in a rainbow of colors that play across Zavien's skin. He smiles in appreciation at the beauty. It heavily contrasts the recent darkness that has been spreading across Caido. He's been surveying the land to determine how far it's spread and what he may be able to do in order to slow the infection. His failure in the Feverlands has damaged his hope that they will succeed in pushing out the Void and whoever this Family is. In need of a more lighthearted experience that could refresh his soul, he's made his way to Torchline.

On his tour of the island, Zavien's heard rumors of the Miana Pool and its mystical properties. It seems like trying to use a wishing well to fix an apocalypse (because isn't that what this is?), but what could it hurt?

Zavien now finds himself strolling the edge of the water's edge, sifting through stones at his feet to find one worthy of his wish. It's so hard to decide when there are smooth crystalline pebbles and rough colorful rocks mixed amongst each other. He concentrates intently on each option, making slow progress, but determined on looking for the perfect match. "What do other people usual look for? Clarity? Color? Size?" His mumbled words to himself are contemplative and curious.
that make the Sunshine everywhere
Zavien
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 49 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5720
"Yes." The voice that answered the Accepted's musings was quiet and deep, rumbling across the water like distant summer thunder It came from a man who had not been there a moment ago, or at least had not been visible as he swam beneath the calm but deceptively deep water in the shape of a broad-winged manta ray. Now his head and shoulders rose out of the water, his long hair steely grey that shone wetly in the gentle sunshine like beaten metal. His skin was dark, making the emerald green of his eyes all the more startling as he considered the human on the shore. A circlet of gold and silver set with a single emerald kept his hair out of his eyes, while an emerald teardrop earring hung from his left ear.

He swam closer with slow, graceful strokes of his piscine tail, moving without hurry. As he did so the flash of gold on his skin winked dully beneath the water; scars that had been tattooed over with an ink that mimicked metal. A thick silver armband fitted snugly around one bicep, and he was bare-chested except for a harness that held several tools and pouches, as well as a trident of coral and gold with tines of starlight at his back. "No one knows the L'ma's preference," he explained when he was closer. "Which one would you chose for yourself?" At the very least it would do no harm
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
The sudden appearance of a disembodied voice startles Zavien enough that he straightens like a board and swings his head around in surprise. When he spots the sparkling shirtless man, he has to keep his mouth from dropping open. He's never met a merfolk before and the introduction is... striking. Zavien isn't interested in men, but the way his eyes pop against his dark skin and the water glides off his golden tattoos that shine in the sunlight have him momentarily appreciating his appearance and possibly questioning himself. The crown adds a reverence to his arrival along with the powerful weapons adorning his body.

Double-checking that his mouth is closed, Zavien gives a warm smile to the glowing man in the water, chuckling lightly. "Uhhh... I'm not sure." Glancing back down to his feet while still stealing glances at the merfolk, his eyes snag on a single small stone. It's a crystal-clear pale yellow. Zavien lifts it in his hand, admiring the way it amplifies the sunlight and refracts it against the skin of his palm. The way it glitters in the rays of light remind him of his mother's pure bright laugh and the way her joy radiated around her. He smiles softly to himself in silent admiration and takes a moment to memorize every intricate detail.

Turning back to the mysterious man, he clasps the stone in his hand. "I guess I have my answer." He looks to the pool of water, trying to remember what the people had said. "Sooo... do I just throw it in?" The instructions aren't very clear and this man seems at least somewhat knowledgeable on the subject. "What does L'ma prefer?"
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Hadama was used to the effect that he had on people, whether he was the first Mer they met or simply their first King. Though he would never admit it and certainly never showed it. His expression was one of serene stoicism and polite interest as he regarded the human perusing the stones upon the shore. He inclined his head courteously at the warm smile and waited until the perfect stone had been selected.

At the question he nodded, swimming backwards a short distance to the place where the water shifted color from brilliant turquoise to royal sapphire. "Throw it here," he called. "So that it will sink to the L'ma's lair." Having indicated the place, he swam forward and to the side so that he would be out of the way of the man's throw. "Make your wish upon the stone and it will carry it to her." Or so the legends went. The L'ma had not answered a prayer in any living generation, but she had been seen before the War and she had given a gift at that time to one who had helped her. Perhaps she would grant this supplicant a similar boon, if not the thing he wished for.

Waiting until the ritual was complete, Hadama eyed the man curiously. "I am Hadama," he introduced himself simply. "It is a pleasure to meet you."
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
His eyes scan the clear blue waters, noting the shift in color to indicate the deep lair beneath. He takes a moment to close his eyes and consider his wording. Speaking the words aloud seems wrong, like it may break the delicate nature of a wish. Instead, he inhales to calm his heart, letting it proclaim loudly his deepest desire: L'ma, please help me to be the kind of person who can protect Caido from this foul Void that is spreading across the lands. Help me to be strong enough to make a difference in this fight.

As his wish is released into the heavens, Zavien cups his hands to breath life into his yellow stone. With a last glance at its shining surface, he throws it to the middle of the royal blue shadow of the depths. Although he has little hope that anything will come of his plea, he feels lighter having given his worries to a higher being.

Zavien turns back to Hadama. The glistening merfolk still makes him do a double take. His own tan skin feels warm under the sun and his toned muscles accentuate each movement. The dirt caking his clothes flakes off, reminding him of his haggard appearance after his long travels. Grinning sheepishly, he waves in greeting. "I'm Zavien. Thanks for the help! I'm glad you appeared when you did." He looks around for signs of other people or housing, but only sees water and sand. Perhaps he lives underwater? "Do you visit this area often?"
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The merman - or at least, that was what he appeared to be - swam closer to the shore once the human had made his request of the L'ma. "Welcome, Zavien," he rumbled to the traveler - for traveler he must be if he was unfamiliar with the traditions of the Miana Pool. "Indeed. I try to keep the Void away from the Pool." He no longer had easy access to his Water magic, but Safrin had granted him other tools for dealing with the corruption, both physical and magical.

He reached up to run his fingers over some thick green leaves overhanging the water and turned his head to examine Zavien again, noting the state of his clothing but the bright and friendly mien he bore despite it. "What has brought you to Torchline?" By sea or by sky, the region's recently-rebuilt Docks were once more a bustling welcome for those throughout Caido who came seeking a great many things. Trade and items both legal and not, but also refuge from other lands fallen into shadow, and a plethora of void-infected targets for those who hunted monsters or sought to improve their skills.
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
He is curious on how Hadama protects the pool from the Void and begins to look closer at the man. Sure, he radiates power and authority, but did he know some way to stop the progression of infection? Could he teach Zavien to do the same? A kernel of hope lodges in his chest. Perhaps his wish has already come true.

Considering the question, Zavien runs a hand through his sun-kissed hair. "I've been assessing the damage and reach of the Void. I'm from Stormbreak and, with everything going on there, I'm trying to help in any way I can." He shrugs his shoulders in acknowledgement. "Not that I can do much." His sad smile displays his recognition of his own weakness, however, he knows that every little bit can make a difference. There is strength in numbers and power in hope. "I came to the Miana Pool when I heard of the legends. Although my wish may not be answered, I feel lighter knowing that I have passed it on."

With the intention of redirecting the focus back to Hadama's previous comments, he asks, "Have you seen much evidence of the Void here? How do you contain what does reach the area?" His questions seem innocent enough and he tries to keep his tone inquisitive. There are so many suspicious characters about now adays.
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama accepted what Zavien said with a thoughtful nod, his serene expression giving nothing away of his thoughts on the other man's origins and stated intentions. Who could be trusted and exactly how far had become an unfortunate set of questions to be asked of all those newly-met on Caido.

But wariness was no excuse for discourtesy.

The Tidebreaker inclined his head in acknowledgment of the moral support gained from the Miana Pool and the L'ma's potential to help, but at the questions that followed he turned his head to the east where the new island was currently hidden by distance and foliage, but the violet streaks that cracked the sky above it were visible even during the daytime. "Indeed. It would overrun us if we did not fight it every day." As it had overrun the Greatwood and the Feverlands already in those regions where a coordinated defense had failed to coalesce.

In answer to the second question Hadama nodded towards a lizard with darkened scales and glowing violet eyes that crouched in hiding beneath a large leaf, watching the two men unblinkingly. "And we do so with force." His serene expression shifted, jaw tightening into solemn determination as he pulled the trident from the loops that held it to his back and pointed it at the small invader. A blast of Arclight water filled with scintillating starlight erupted from the tines and flashed across the short distance, blasting the Abyssal Geckoloth into a violet paste. "We have been told that Safrin's energy does not work against the Family," he added. "But it is sufficient against the lesser infected."
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Sorrow pains his chest to watch the lizard become incinerated in a beam of light and he winces slightly. The purple hue tainting its scales had determined its fate, but Zavien doubts that it had chosen to align with the Void. So many innocent creatures have been afflicted by the scheming of the Family and their agenda. Even if they are able to ruin their plans, he has little hope that Caido will ever be the same. It's all about mitigating damage at this point.

He smiles sadly at Hadama. "Luckily, brute force does the job as well. However, if we are to have any chance against the Family, we will eventually need to figure out their weakness." His mind considers what he has heard of the beings. Other than their extreme power and the voice in his head, he knows little of them. "I haven't met one of the personally. Have you?" Zavien is earnest in his attempts to help Caido and the genuine, unfiltered concern on his face provides a glimpse into his pure intentions.
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama listened gravely to the man and inclined his head in agreement of his words. "It is dangerous," he warned Zavien somberly. "Our strongest demigods could not fight even one of this 'Family.'" Notices had been posted around Caido to that effect, but the information was several seasons old now, back when Remi and Ronin had belonged to Ludo and Safrin, respectively. "And Mastered healing could not help someone infected by a Voidforged Fyrhund." That had been unsettling, to say the least. Especially since the one infected had been his co-ruler. "It took Rae's direct intervention to remove the corruption." Suffice to say an extremely rare appearance by one of the Big Three gods themselves, who normally relegated the answering of mortal prayers to their heralds.

To Zavien's question Hadama could only shake his head. "I do not think so," he admitted, speaking the truth as he knew it. "I have not met this Dahlia." The new ruler of Stormbreak - and just what had happened to Sohalia he could not guess. "But the reports say that she looks the same as any human. If the rest of this Family is similar, I do not know of a way to be certain." At least of anyone met after Starfall.

He tilted his head at the human his expression turning thoughtful. "Do you intend to return to Stormbreak?"
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Zavien frowns at the news. How are they supposed to defeat something when those infected can only be cured by a literal god? Especially when the strongest living beings can barely do any damage? The thoughts dampen his optimism, but he tries to look at the positive; at least there is a way to heal from the infection. Plus, there are lots of demigods roaming Caido. As long as they are willing to help, perhaps they can work together to stop the family. He keeps all this to himself and nods to Hadama. "This is all very concerning. All the more reason that we need to support each other and investigate the Void further."

The idea that the Family can be anyone has a shiver running down Zavien's spine. "Is there no way to tell them apart from others?" Having not met one himself, he imagines them as humans with accentuated features and a purple aura flowing from their pores. Although it's obviously exaggerated, he can't begin to think that anyone could be evil. That is no way to live life. He prefers to believe in the innate good of people.

At the mention of Stormbreak, he smiles sadly. "Yes. I know it will only continue to increase in danger, but I can't abandon my home. Would you ever leave Torchline to fall into despair?" Zavien thinks about all of the innocent people still residing in the city as the Void slowly begins to take over. The pollution is starting to become suffocating and people are losing hope as the infection spreads. "No. I can't sit back and watch."
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
The King watched Zavien absorb the information and at the mention of investigations he inclined his head in quiet agreement. "Mmn. There is a woman in the Hollowed Grounds who is investigating. Maea Valair. I recommend seeking her out to help." He would send her as much aid as he could when his own duties - and the recent restrictions on his ability to travel - prevented him from going in person. Zavien seemed well-meaning and earnest, so perhaps he could help where Hadama could not.

Hadama swam closer to the Zavien, his tail trailing out behind him, dark in the bright blue of the shallow waters near the rocky shore. "None that I have heard," he confirmed as to the features of the Family. It was, indeed, an unpleasant way to live, never certain who to trust, but it was not so different than normal travel and having to concern oneself with whether others met on the road were bandits, conmen, or worse.

Hearing that Zavien would return to Stormbreak, Hadama nodded slowly in understanding. "I would not," he agreed. Not, at least, without a direct order from Safrin to do so. "But... hmm." He tilted his head in thought for a few moments before speaking with care. "Would you be willing to share the changes you see in Stormbreak under the Family?"
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
He makes note of the name: Maea Valair. It's always good to have someone to share knowledge with so it may be beneficial to reach out to her. He also has yet to visit the Hollowed Grounds, making it all the more enticing. Zavien nods his head in acknowledgement. "I will keep that in mind. Thank you."

Watching Hadama approach, he begins feeling nervous. Why did he get an unsettling sensation in his gut? Zavien narrows his eyes in concern. The carefully worded question has him pausing to consider the implication. "Are you... asking me to be a spy?" There is no judgement or disgust in his tone, just a question for clarification.
Zavien
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama inclined his head in acknowledgment of the thanks. His movements took him away from the remains of the abyssal geckoloth as he swam closer to the human instead, putting his trident away as he did so. He paused at the shore, his long piscine tail curving beneath him, and formed his careful question.

And was impressed at the answer.

Zavien was perhaps not as naive as he had presented himself so far.

"Mmn. A spy, or a scout. Against the void influence there. And Dahlia's actions," he confirmed. "But not if it would put you in danger." And only if Zavien was willing, of course, though that went without saying. "If you do not trust me, Ronin also lives in Torchline now." A former leader of Stormbreak and dragoon, if that made a difference to the current Breaker.