[se] opportunities to be gentle
For Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 6754
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
Waiting in dread, for something awful, conniving, or outlandish to happen wasn’t like her. And while she might have been snagged in manners of trepidation, the Caretaker wasn’t going to allow it to become her life – not when there were too many others things to do. The Celestine had once again become her solace, a sanctuary, a safeguard, a shelter, a means to distraction and necessity; rather than floating off in apprehension and tragedy.

But she also had scores of other things to do – so she marched across the Plaza with her head held high, undaunted and unbroken no matter how many fringes or edges yearned, threatened, to crumble, eyes searching and roaming the market. She had enough friends to send some gifts and trinkets to for their efforts, and maybe it’d be sealed and signed with apologies as well. Stopping at the flower stand, she gave a quick smile to the gardener, before inspecting several portions of lavender, and leashing Mittens to her side before the snowball began it's usual decree of tossing its head back and forth.
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 1 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Dew Online
Change author:
MP: 395
Just smile and be happy.
Zavien loved this time of year. The chilly weather made him appreciate the warmth of friends and family more as they gathered around the fire and shared gifts in the soft lights. He hadn't truly celebrated with people in years, but he still enjoyed perusing the shops to find gifts for the local less fortunate, especially the kids. They always greeted him with bright laughs and often "helped" him with his training near the edge of the city, even if it usually ended with a tickling match and ear-piercing squeals. As a token of affection, every year, he got them small treats and toys to remind them that the world is a good place filled with kind people.

The savory smell of a kebab stand had him pausing to reward himself with a steaming snack. Its juices and spicy seasoning brought a satisfied grin to his face and he slowed his stroll to appreciate the flavors with a deep hum. His eyes drifted closed for a fleeting moment, but it was long enough to have him bumping into a shorter figure in front of him. With a stumbled correction, he made sure to support her with a gentle hand. A large blush spread across his face in embarrassment at his inconsiderate clumsiness and he fumbled through a series of apologies, "Oh no! I'm so sorry! I didn't hurt you, did I? I obviously wasn't watching where I was going. I was just so distracted. Are you okay? I'm such an idiot sometimes. Please forgive me." He took a breath in preparation for another string of remorseful lines, but snapped his mouth closed in self-conscious correction. Zavien didn't want to bombard this poor woman with more words. Instead, he just smiled sheepishly.
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
The last thing Lena expected was to be jostled and bumped, and Mittens’ shrill hiss was enough of a warning – though it was a good thing she had the companion leashed – or else other things might’ve been more disastrous. She was saved from tumbling into the stand by the stranger’s hands, and when she whipped around, saw it wasn’t an unfamiliar person at all. “Oh sorry,” though she didn’t know why she was apologizing – more of an automatic thing than anything else. “Zavien, wasn’t it?”

Whether or not those memories and names would bring back their failure amidst the swamp scarcely mattered – she found it difficult to forget. “I’m all right,” though Mittens was irate, and it took more than a moment to wheedle the snowball back into the confinement of her arms.
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Age: 27 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
He blinked momentarily as recognition began to enter his mind. The lightbulb went off, evident as his face lit up like a ray of sunlight. Although the swamp had been an utter failure, he didn't let the past impact his current mood, sliding it off his back and into the rearview. Zavien chose to focus on the woman in front of him instead. What was her name? Had he ever heard it? They were a little distracted last time they'd met. He felt like a fool, standing there with a blank space in his mind.

His blush deepened and he noticed he still had his hands supporting her, so he pulled back to run his fingers through his hair. "Uh, yeah! What a coincidence! Um..." Rather than just spouting a random name, he laughs nervously and says, "I'm so sorry. I don't think I remember your name." Fearful that he may have offended her, he started waving his hands quickly. "Not that I don't remember you! You were incredible at the Feverlands! It was definitely thanks to you and the beavers that we got as far as we did!" He glanced down at the snowball, adding, "And your companion, of course!"

Feeling that he was digging a deeper hole, Zavien sighed loudly and ran a hand down his face. With a soft smile to hopefully reset the encounter, he looked back to her. "Is there anything I can assist you with? I don't feel like I was much help during our last meeting." He silently prayed that she'd put him out of his misery. From bumping into her to forgetting her name, he couldn't imagine how stupid he looked.
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
That she wasn’t remembered or recalled didn’t perturb her; perhaps she’d be nameless and non-existent enough for Dahlia to not bother with her, and she could carry on fighting for the causes looming before them. At present, it was finding gifts and trying to resolve the current matter, with gentleness and compassion and a light round of laughter. “That’s all right. I’m Lena, Caretaker of the Celestine.” Thereafter, she offered her hand in introductions, for the last parallels weren’t adequate, given the situation.

She flushed under the compliments, but probably because of embarrassment; in hindsight, she probably could’ve started implementing the dam much faster, and perhaps they would’ve gotten farther than permitting the void to spread. “Thank you. It was unfortunate that we couldn’t do much else,” and she swallowed down the trepidation there, snaking Mittens closer to her so the snowball wouldn’t reach out and launch at the dragoon.

As for assistance, she glanced nearby, to the plant seller who’d maneuvered on to someone else pointing out the flowers. “Oh, I’m just shopping for some friends. You’re welcome to join me.”
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
Relief washed over him at her forgiveness, and he immediately felt more at ease. With an appreciative smile, he clasped her hand. "It's a pleasure to officially meet you, Lena." The title of "Caretaker" had him wondering about what actions she may be taking against the current state of Stormbreak. They may have more similar goals than he originally thought, but he refused to ask her in the busy street of the plaza. Who knew what kind of people might overhear them?

Zavien beamed at the prospect of shopping together. "I was actually doing the same thing!" At this point, he was running on a social high. Bowing gallantly, he grinned excitedly. "It would be my honor to accompany you on your quest, my lady." Straightening, he looked around at the plethora of assorted stalls posted outside of storefronts. His green eyes found hers with a bursting level of energy shining off his face. Zavien offered his arm to her and asked, "Where shall we look first?" A pure and genuine enthusiasm was pouring out of him like a puppy on a walk for the first time. If he had a tail, it would be running at top speed, whacking the pedestrians around them indiscriminately.
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
His enthusiasm was a strange, contagious thing, in a looming world where every edge felt restless and smothering; she couldn’t help but laugh at the overtness of it all. If only he knew about her plans and her ambitions, how she longed to push away the folds overtaking Stormbreak but clearly not knowing how, and already probably glanced upon by Dahlia herself, for refusing to play the same games. Already told to flee and refusing to do so.

Alas, instead, they’d be shopping, and she looped her arm through his in exacting regal mannerisms – taking a moment, for once, to not fall into the trepidation and apprehension reeling around her. “That would be lovely,” she agreed, bowing her head and offering the slightest of curtsies. “I was heading for the flowers first,” pointing out the lavender, the lilac, and some daisies nearby. Mittens unleashed a torrent of growls and hisses but hovered by her shoulder nonetheless, acting as a ridiculous guardian, while Lena’s other arm carried her basket. “Were you looking for anything in particular?”
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
He looked to the colorful array of flowers in different shapes and sizes. "What a marvelous idea!" Although Zavien would love to pretend that he knew their names and meanings, he hadn't the faintest clue. His approach to the delicate petals was slow and cautious, nervous that he may ruin their fragile beauty. A few specific ones stood out to him; the sharp stalks of purple flowers smelled good while the white buds reminded him of the kind he often saw scattered along the roadsides. In a posh tone, he asks, "Are you interested in the fluffy purple swords or the broken eggs?"

Meantime, he gave the grumbling snowball an admiring nod worthy of a respectable chaperone, hoping to alleviate its adorable display of anger.

While he leaned forward to continue inspecting the assortment of flowers, he answered her following question without a second thought. "Toys." But when his brain finally registered his response, he straightened quickly to stumble through an explanation. "Not for me - obviously. For kids. Not my kids. Just some friends. Not that I don't have adult friends. They just help me with my training sometimes. Although I guess that term is a little generous..." His voice faded as his mind short-circuited. The silence was probably preferred to the rambling. Instead, he just laughed, picking up the pieces of his thoughts. "Sorry. Not many people know that I buy them gifts. I've never had to explain it before." With a clearing of his throat, he gave Lena a self-conscious smile.
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Lena half-wondered if Zavien thought every situation ideal and wonderful, but gave a short laugh nonetheless. She too could be that way, if there weren’t so many surrounding circumstances. Still, it was an opportunity to not delve into current hardships, and she was determined not to fall back into miserable countenances. “The fluffy purple swords,” she acknowledged with a shake of her head. “That is lavender. They can be used in a variety of ways, but mostly for calming purposes.” And while Mittens stared incredulously at the man, Lena pointed out the blends and herbs towards the tender, intending to purchase a few of the beautiful herbs.

She hadn’t expected his answer as she was bundling away her purchases, brow arching as he seemed to ramble into parsed reasons. “Kids help you with your training?” Truth be told, she didn’t do much training herself, the feel of a weapon very foreign and alienating to her, and she was much less adept into what sort of motions might require children. “But that is kind of you to get them something. I think there were some toy stands over there,” and she pointed towards a smaller segment of kiosks nearby.
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
Glancing at the small lavender stalks with renewed respect, he hinged forward and closed his eyes to immerse himself in their calming quality. "Lavender..." He whispered it softly in awed appreciation. Its deep floral scent infiltrated his mind and caressed the sharp edges of worry and anxiety, letting him relax into its soft clarity. Feeling rejuvenated, Zavien stood to smile at Lena. "I guess 'lavender' fits better than 'fluffy purple swords.'" His volume dropped so that the florist wouldn't catch his words. "But I think I'm still partial to my name. It's more fun."

As she gathered her purchase, Zavien ran his hand through his sun-kissed hair in a nervous mannerism, laughing at the memories of dog piles and tickling matches. "Kind of? They don't have a lot of transferrable skills for a swordsman, but I find that it helps with agility, situational awareness, and core strength." He recalled doing pushups with a handful of kids screaming from his back and sweat dripping into his eyes. Each memory held warm feelings of happiness and child-like amusement, causing his face to glow brightly as a pure-hearted grin spread across his face. They were more than eager to "assist" in his training.

Zavien pulled his thoughts back to the present, following her finger to the section of stalls containing friendly dolls, captivating little mechanisms, and timeless reliable toys. He let a bounce enter his step, but kept close to Lena, offering his arm once again so as not to lose her in the throng of shoving people such as himself. When they reached the first shop, he analyzed the options, humming thoughtful. "There are six specific kids who frequently help, two girls and four boys, around five to nine. I figured I'd just get the boys some wood carvings of dragons or soldiers or maybe a ball, but I'm stumped on the girls. I know that not all girls like dolls and I don't want them to feel like that's what I assume." His mom had taught him that women were more than just pretty people who liked frilly, soft things. They were strong and courageous with ambitious goals of their own. Casting his green eyes back to Lena, he paused before curiously asking, "What would you have wanted when you were a kid?" He didn't mean it as a probing question. It was just meant to provide some ideas or context for possibilities. Although he did find a selfish level of intrigue lingering in his mind.
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head at the notions of ‘fluffy purple swords’, she ensured her bundles were safely ensconced within her basket. Listening all the while, especially to any nervous notions, she eventually inclined her gaze back to his. “Ah, I see.” She didn’t really, but she could imagine something like chasing after children, making a game of it all instead of maintaining absolute soldierly decorum.

Besides, then there were other semblances to peruse and purchase, and retail therapy seemed to coincide with a more relaxed setting. She continued utilizing his arm, perhaps so she didn’t get bumped and throttled away again, poised and regal, as they began to look through the array of objects. The age range and differentials were specific and defined, which showed he paid attention to his little allegiances, and she laughed good-naturedly again at the likelihood of all girls not liking dolls. “Very astute of you,” she hummed, hand snagging at Mittens as it began to unhinge its jaw, looking to bite the head off a figurine nearby. “Besides dolls, stuffed animals are always a good idea.”

As for her? Her cheeks flushed for a moment, lost along parallels of thought. Her own upbringing had been swift, and she and her sister had been raised to be upstanding, religious citizens of Stormbreak; never an embarrassment, never someone to be ashamed of. Uncertain, and maybe indifferent, to how that looked now, her eyes searched for certain items. “Paint sets, watercolors, papers for drawing and the like. My sister loved using building blocks too,” and she’d become a wondrous engineer, before everything came crashing and toppling down. “Gardening tools. Or even a set of pretend doctor supplies, for either animals or people.”
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
He looked closely at the options as Lena talked, paying special heed to her words and steering clear of the snowball's chomping mouth. A woven basket of stuffed animals sat on the stall next to them with a variety of fluffy, four-legged creatures like fyrhunds, ursurs, luxeres, and unicorns. Taking a few steps over, his hand tenderly brushed against the only one that stood out, a white dragon with large fabric wings. "I think stuffed animals are a great idea. Even the boys will like them." Zavien smiled and placed it back in the pile, handing the man a few coins in return for the entire batch. Although he looked surprised, the owner simply accepted the coins and turned to the next customer. Lifting the basket, he turned back to Lena with a stupid grin on his face, showing the basket like a prize that he expected to be praised for.

Considering her response, Zavien gestured to the bundle of flowers. "I could understand the gardening tools. What about the doctor supplies?" From what he could see, she was gentle and kind. She would have made a great doctor, but instead she was the Caretaker. He guessed that was a form of doctor for plants and animals.

As he prepared to ask another question, a pair of kids ran up to him, bumping past people to grasp at his legs. With a shocked outburst of laughter, he patted their heads affectionately. "Aiden! Ava! Where are your manners?" His tone was light but still maintained a small amount of chastisement. The twin seven-year-olds giggled and looked up at him with bright blue eyes through their curly blonde hair. "We saw you and decided to execute a sneak attack!" Although Ava had started the sentence, they finished it in unison, per usual, making Zavien smile in familiar comfort. "You definitely succeeded! But what are you two doing out here?" Most of the children lived closer to the Silk Houses than the Pacifist Plaza and the twins were no exception. Before they could respond to the question, Zavien realized he was forgetting the manners him mom worked so hard to beat into his brain. His hand flew to his hair again in embarrassment as he motioned to the woman at his side. "This is my friend, Lena. Be nice to her."
Zavien
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Lena’s suggestion was taken and upheld – she couldn’t quite help the widening of her eyes as he simply purchased all of them. Shaking her head, but amused just the same, her eyes drifted over the stuffed bombardments, perhaps a little too long on the dragon, before answering the initial question. “Oh. I went through a ‘wanting to heal’ everyone phase that never quite left.”

If any other inquiries were forthcoming, they were certainly forgotten within a moment, as multitudes of children came rampaging through the scene. The Caretaker grabbed hold of Mittens within an instant, uncertain what it would do around the energetic youths, but she held a warm smile for each in turn, a dimpled grin as they described their sneak attacks. “Hello there,” she added, waiting to hear the reasons for their sudden espionage (other than opportunity; which Lena could respect).
that kept so many warm
Zavien Alexander

Change author:
Just smile and be happy.
His laughed sparked across the marketplace. "That's better than the long hair phase I went through. I think everyone was glad when that one ended." He pretended to flip his hair over his shoulder and gave her a dramatic wink. Luckily, his mom had practically tied him to a chair in order to cut the greasy mop off his head.

The twins clutched onto each of his legs, attempting to peak in the basket by stretching up on their toes and tilting their greedy eyes up. They barely spared Lena a glance, saying a quick greeting before answering his question with glee. "Dad finally won a hand at the tables!" Aiden shouted with Ava trailing behind. "So he chose to drink at the nice bar today." They sound excited, but Zavien could hear the hidden fear about what the night would bring when they'd have to lug his drunk butt back to their house. It was sad to see such young children aware of the dark adult world. In an attempt to lighten the mood, they said, "But he promised to get us a treat!" It wasn't as convincing this time around. He met their smile and looked around for a candy stall, sure that their dad wouldn't be fulfilling his promise.

Zavien met Lena's eyes and gestured to the sweet snacks with a conspiratorial wink. "Well, after such a perfectly executed assault, who am I to deny you your spoils?" Aiden and Ava released their grasps on his legs with excited squeals. He just chuckled.
Zavien